/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Introduce A freind to Islam

AntiKarateKid
05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey, like the title says I am trying but I don't know how to do it.

I find it hard to answer things like:

1. How do you know for sure?
2. What if the prophets were lying
3. Why shouldn't I be content with my life?

For me, it seems obvious because of the aount of effort I put in to examining Islam. But what do I say to a person like this? He says he believes in God but I think his belief is vague and without direction.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
05-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm in a similar situation. Religion isn't really a part of my friends life (think she's an agnostic, but she doesn't put too much thought into it), she doesn't really think about God, why we exist, etc. So I want to tell her about islam but I've no idea where to start? She's one of those people that you feel still have the fitra. While most other people our age are drinking, dating, clubbing, smoking and doing drugs, she doesn't do any of that stuff. So I'm thinking if she's close to the actual fitra, it shouldn't be too hard to get her to go the final steps, right? Just telling her about islam would be enough for me, really, even if she's not really convinced, at least I'd have done what I had to do.

Plus, we don't talk about religion much, so it will be weird if I just suddenly start asking all these questions on what she believes and stuff.

Any ideas for me or the brother above?

glo
05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think you can tell your friends effectively about your faith unless they are willing to listen and open to engage in this kind of conversation.
If your friend isn't receptive, then just leave it for another time ...

Alternatively, why not invite him/her to an event at the mosque, or to your house during Ramadan or Eid? That might strike up a conversation.

Or, why not ask him/her what s/he believes? (But be willing to listen to his/her thoughts and views, without being judgmental or critical)

Layla454
05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Get them to start reflecting on their life, their purpose, etc. Make them ponder on death, the futility of life, when they are in their grave, etc.

Thinking along these lines can sometimes be more beneficial than saying "Islam is this, Islam is that."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
05-17-2008, 09:42 PM
If they want to embrace Islam, I'm sure they know where to go!

crayon
05-18-2008, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I don't think you can tell your friends effectively about your faith unless they are willing to listen and open to engage in this kind of conversation.
If your friend isn't receptive, then just leave it for another time ...

Alternatively, why not invite him/her to an event at the mosque, or to your house during Ramadan or Eid? That might strike up a conversation.

Or, why not ask him/her what s/he believes? (But be willing to listen to his/her thoughts and views, without being judgmental or critical)
Yeah, I'm definitely going to do discuss what she believes as well. I'm more looking to simply talk about religion and belief in general that just bombard her with facts about islam. The problem is is that we didn't really use to talk about this stuff, so it's going to be weird if I just suddenly bring up religion, God, etc.

Inviting her over for ramadan or eid would be great, but we don't live in the same country. We used to, then we both moved to different places. I'm seeing her in the summer, though.

Thanks for the responses!

- Qatada -
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
:salamext:

So you basically tell them pieces of info which show the reality of Islam, maybe give them books to read on the life of Allah's Messenger, you know - just stuff which makes them reflect. Most people don't want a huge change in life, so that's why they think why they have to be Muslim to be accepted - but the reality truly hits them once they face a dead end, when they feel confused and are in need of help. This is when all those pieces of info you told them in the past about Islam hit them, and they reflect and ponder on what you used to say. This is when they may choose to tread in the path of Islam or look into it more.

Because many people who don't want to change, they're happy with life. But by giving them amazing pieces of info which do hit them (since you're friends you will see amazing things and events together - so you should be able to show how Islam views this issue in a positive light) so later in life, they reflect on it if they're in a similar situation - so they may choose to follow it, even if it takes them a while to come to a conclusion.

So basically, give them reflections and tell them stories of how righteous people faced similar situations, you're their friend - so you will help them or influence them in their thinking, and the way they respond to different things in life. This positive influence can touch them when you least expect it. So you ask Allah to guide them, while being sincere to your friend and telling them that you only wish for what is good for them - since this belief of yours is a part of you - then you want them to have this good too. You're not just doing it for the sake of getting a 'converting reputation.'

- Qatada -
05-18-2008, 06:52 PM
:salamext:

bro antikarate - we know we require faith, but this faith is based on proofs. But to answer question no.2 - its clearly proven that the Prophets weren't liars, and in regard to Muhammad (peace be upon him) - its even well known that those who opposed him called him Al Ameen (the trustworthy) - before and after his Prophethood.

Many of the high class knew he was a Prophet, but they rejected him because they took pride in the fact that he was from another clan - so why should God choose him instead of them (they argued)? Again - it came back to the fact that he was truthful, sincere and just. Infact, a jewish Rabbi called Abdullah ibn Salam saw the face of the Prophet and said 'i knew this wasn't the face of a liar' and he became Muslim after hearing the message of pure monotheism and the simplicity and truthfulness of the message which was given to him (peace be upon him.)

AntiKarateKid
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
thanks alot for the advice!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.