/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My new home, a gift from Allaah(swt)

Woodrow
05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
:sl:

As most of you know the past month has been very good to me. A new wife and a new home. I can not even begin to express how grateful I am to Allaah(swt) for these blessings.

Here our some pictures of our home and the scenery around it. It needs a lot of work as the house is over 100 years old. But, Allaah(swt) has given exactly what Aabida and I wanted.
We are still in the process of moving in and still need to move the horses from south Dakota to here.

The Main highway closest to us.

The side Road down to us. We are on the corner.

Scenery around us and our home

This was taken from the front yard

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Soulja Girl
05-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Wow! Subhanallah, that looks like some cool place bro! Love the scenery. :D

:w:

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
:salamext:

Maasha'Allaah. :) Looks very beautiful!

Periwinkle18
05-19-2008, 12:52 PM
SubhanAllah , i lyke the last picture with the rainbow.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Of course you can not have a farm without kitty-cats. Here is part of the meow gang that Allaah(swt) has given us great pleasure with.

S_87
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM

MashaAllah it looks like a nice peaceful quiet place.

oh and 6? cats too :o

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
mashaAllaah tabarakAllaah !

may Allaah grant you a house in jannah aswell :)

Ameen !!

Assalamu alaikum

Periwinkle18
the cats are scary especially the black and white one. :P

------

O wow...mashaaAllaah looks gorgeous!! May Allaah's blessing be in it for you :) Ameen.

Woodrow
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Here are some of Aabida's horses that are still in South Dakota and which we will begin moving to Minnesota soon

------
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM

MashaaAllaah...looking good :D

Periwinkle18
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
wow the white horse is so beautiful SubhanALlah

Snowflake
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

oh wow mashaAllah, it's all so beautiful! does all that land belong to you too? Imagine growing your own fruit and veg there? It's wonderful! Allah has truly rewarded you and may He give you much happiness in the future too. Give my salams to Abidah sis inshaAllah. :)

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Woodrow
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
asalam alaikum wr wb,

oh wow mashaAllah, it's all so beautiful! does all that land belong to you too? Imagine growing your own fruit and veg there? It's wonderful! Allah has truly rewarded you and may He give you much happiness in the future too. Give my salams to Abidah sis inshaAllah. :)

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Only 12 acres is "ours" most of the land surrounding us is:

1. owned by large co-ops for raising wheat and corn

2. Open range for public use as pasture land

3. wild life refugee areas for the protection of native wildlife

4. public domain used for camping, hunting and fishing

5. Owned by native Americans and managed by the Chippewa tribe. They harvest the wild rice and sell it.

جوري
05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Mabrook akhi.. I wish you every happiness insha'Allah..

I lovvvvvvvvve horses.. wish I could take one of them for a ride..
May Allah bless you and yours Ameen

Woodrow
05-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Allaah(swt) is indeed the most beneficent and merciful. Less then 2 months ago I did not even know Aabida and was resigned to living the remainder of my days as a live-in bachelor grandfather in Austin.

Long gone were any hopes or plans of returning to farm living or of having a wife.

Yet, totaly without belieiving it was possible, I was suddenly returned to what I love and many times better then what I ever had in the past.

alhamdilluh, subhanna rabbiyaal Azim

Never give up trusting Allaah(swt) he is the best of planners. Mashallah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM

MashaAllah your surrounding is beautiful. Allah has blessed u truly :)
I love alllllll the cats and horsesssssssssssssssssssss. I've always wanted to ride one....
That white cat looks like one of mine. Mine is all white with some brown patches. That same one...I found a bird in his mouth, still alive:skeleton:
Ameen to all the du'as.

Souljette
05-19-2008, 02:59 PM

OMGGG YOU CANNOT IMAGINE HOW HAPPY I AM FOR YOU UNCLE WOODROW...ok maybe you can with the capslock but mashallah the place looks soooo peaceful and the HORSES>>>PLZZ CAN I RIDE ONE OF THEm..nd the cats mashallah sooo nicee i relalyy luv the horses nd the cats nd jst the peacefulness of hte area..wow i jst thought i'd see ppl livin like tht in dreams now..mashallah may allah keep showering you wit his blessings Ameen

Huma*
05-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Mashaallah, A quite but beautiful place..Love those Horses.

AvarAllahNoor
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Are those cats demonic?? *Throws Holy water around*

Yes, very nice Allah bestows such things upon us. We should be thankful 24/7!

Guru Fateh Ji!

Woodrow
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Hopefully I will be able to get some pictures of the abundant wildlife here. What I have seen so far are:

Deer
Elk
Pronghorn Antelope
Pheasant
Eagles
Ducks (many different kinds)
Geese
Chipmunks
Too Many kinds of birds to remember

Although I have yet to see them there also are:
Cougars
Black Bears
Wolves
Wild Horses
Coyotes
Wolverines
Prairie Dogs

I will keep my camera handy and Inshallah I will soon share pictures of Allaah's(swt) beautiful creatures. I did get picts of a male pheasant walking across the yard the other day. Here he is although not good pictures.

In this last pict, he is flying off

Amat Allah
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Asalamo Alikom wa Rahmato Allah

Mashaa Allah Tabaraka Al Rahmaan

^^I am sooooo happy for you and your wife my dear brother ....^^

may Allah make you and your wife the happiest in this life and in the hereafter and protect you from hell and reward you with Jannat Al Ferdous seting beside our prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)looking at our Lord face ..

praise be to Allah and peace and blessings of Allah be upon Muhammad the last of prophets and messengers...

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeen

with all my respect:

Amat Allah

Souljette
05-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Cooll

Woodrow
05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Just some random pictures we took running back and forth between Minnesota and South Dakota. Allaah(swt) has truly created a beautiful world.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Wow SubhanAllah, that's truly beautiful! My mom would love that. MashaAllah, it's nice.

Cabdullahi
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
YO! this place makes my place look like a sewer!!! :(

Ali.
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Masha'Allah, that's really cool!

A question I wanted to ask you occured to me though; do you feel safe posting a picture of your house and it's surroundings? I mean, aren't you afraid someone might hunt you down and come up to your door:

YOU! You deleted my post!

truemuslim
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Mashallah bro that is soooo tiiight! specially the horses! U SO LUCKY!! woow how can u get that close to a horse...horses are cool...unlike donkeys and cows :mmokay: they so mean...a donkey kicks me but dont kick any of my cousins ...i gess they hatin on da one livin in america, and a cow juss looks at me like i did somfin......ima show em who i am. lol am kiddin
anyway May allah grant u bro a house in jannatul firdous inshallah! May allah shower his blessins on u nd ur new wife and family and all inshallah.

barney
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Gratz to the Max!
Nice pad!

truemuslim
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Masha'Allah, that's really cool!

A question I wanted to ask you occured to me though; do you feel safe posting a picture of your house and it's surroundings? I mean, aren't you afraid someone might hunt you down and come up to your door:

YOU! You deleted my post!

Loooooooollll now who wud wanna do that! loool
its just a post. hehe. btw he must be loaded livin in a place like that mashallah no cops near! u so lucky bro :X

Güven
05-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Wooow Nice place Mashallah Its waaay better than holland^o)

snakelegs
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Allaah(swt) is indeed the most beneficent and merciful. Less then 2 months ago I did not even know Aabida and was resigned to living the remainder of my days as a live-in bachelor grandfather in Austin.

Long gone were any hopes or plans of returning to farm living or of having a wife.

Yet, totaly without belieiving it was possible, I was suddenly returned to what I love and many times better then what I ever had in the past.

i can't tell you how happy i am for both of you. the pix are wonderful - thanks for sharing! what a wonderful surprise gift for you!
in the distant past i once picked wild rice in northern minnesota near the beginning of the mississippi river.

Umul_Kheyr
05-19-2008, 08:00 PM
:sl: Mashallah it looks soo beautiful and peaceful but i think i'll go crazy if there was no civilisaton around

medlink student
05-19-2008, 08:23 PM
mashallah, may u have a happy life together.
Ameen :)

glo
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Such a beautiful new home. I hope you both spend many happy years there together. :)

Living in the UK I cannot get over the space you have around you! Wow!!!

zanjabeela
05-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow, mashaAllah, your new home is absolutely amazingly lovely!!! May Allah keep you and your new wife happy with this amazing blessing, and fill your lives with barakah!

And if I had a place like that, I would honestly never be in my house...I would be taking pictures, riding those horses, just walking that country lane...all with my trusty lil camera (well, maybe not on the horses, but you know...) I would only come inside to save my pics to my PC.

MashaAllah mashaAllah mashaAllah!!! Please don't stop sharing these pictures of Allah's amazing beauty with us!

Dr.Trax
05-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Selam Alaikym and Greetings also from me brother!

The place is FANTASTIC.I just love it...
May Allah give peace and happiness to you here and in the hereafter!

Wasalam!

TrueStranger
05-20-2008, 12:41 AM
masha'Allah

I am glad things are going good for you.

I'm loving the horses........

Umu 'Isa
05-20-2008, 01:26 AM
masha Allaah! Beautiful pics. I love the land Allaah has blessed you with!!! and the horses aswell! masha Allaah!

I'm very happy for you and Aabidah! May Allaah bless your new life together ameen!

ashley66
05-20-2008, 01:31 AM
MashaAllaah. I am so happy for you ans sis Abida. tabarakAllaah !
Wow such a pretty home and beautiful place.L ove the cats and horses. What amazing space and wildlife around. Such beautiful sceneries bring tears to my eyes.

May Allah shower you both and family with good health, happiness and blessing all your life in your new home.

I love wooden farm house. Please post more pic of the interior.:)

Woodrow
05-20-2008, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ashley66
MashaAllaah. I am so happy for you ans sis Abida. tabarakAllaah !
Wow such a pretty home and beautiful place.L ove the cats and horses. What amazing space and wildlife around. Such beautiful sceneries bring tears to my eyes.

May Allah shower you both and family with good health, happiness and blessing all your life in your new home.

I love wooden farm house. Please post more pic of the interior.:)

I will be posting more of the interior. At the moment the interior is a bit messy, the floors need refinishing, walls need painting etc. so bear with the mess and I'll try to keep Aabidah from finding out I'm posting pics before it is cleaned up.

But, the biggest joy is the outdoors and seeing the work of Allaah(swt) in a natural surrounding.

cute123
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Mashallah Tallah. May ALLAH TALLAH bless you .This is a real blessing. Alhamdulillah. Really happy for both of you.May your life be filled with happiness and the hereafter too

glo
05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
It's not warm in Evansville, Woodrow!

Make sure you wear a hat! -> :beard:

Woodrow
05-20-2008, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It's not warm in Evansville, Woodrow!

Make sure you wear a hat! -> :beard:
The winters do get a little nippy here. Fifty degrees below Zero Farenheit is common in the winter.The snow drifts can be over 20 feet deep.

But winter brings it's own beauty and if lived with and not seen as an enemy it is very enjoyable.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Im sure it will look beautiful bro. The snow would get dirty cause of mud and cars passing by making it dirty. Your plot area is pretty big and a bit secluded, so when the snow falls it'll be white most of time. That will look beautiful! It wont get dirty like it would in places where its busy. Anways good luck with the fix ups :D InshaAllah. Cant wait to see what it looks like when its ready =]

Woodrow
05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Here are some quck pics of the inside. Keep in mind the house is over 100 years old.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Cool :D It'll look better when it's fixed up, InshaAllah :)

Noora_z3
05-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Masha Allah...MABROOK brother...such a beautiful house inside-out just like its owners..:)...may Allah give you bigger and more beautiful home in Jannah...Ameen.

As a mother myself, the first thing that cought my eyes in the last pic of the interior is a box that labed "toy box" and a nice drawing on the wall...you got kids? please dont answer if you feel tht I am intruding.

wassalam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Kids and grandkids MashaAllah. A big family MashaAllah from his side and his wifes :)

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 01:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy

Im sure it will look beautiful bro. The snow would get dirty cause of mud and cars passing by making it dirty. Your plot area is pretty big and a bit secluded, so when the snow falls it'll be white most of time. That will look beautiful! It wont get dirty like it would in places where its busy. Anways good luck with the fix ups :D InshaAllah. Cant wait to see what it looks like when its ready =]

There won't be any cars coming down these roads in the winter. Most people here use horses in the winter time. the roads are impassable by car in the winter.

Those without horses just stay in the house until spring. You learn to stock 6 months of food in the basement. Which reminds me we have to get a gas generator so we can have electricity this winter.

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 02:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
Masha Allah...MABROOK brother...such a beautiful house inside-out just like its owners..:)...may Allah give you bigger and more beautiful home in Jannah...Ameen.

As a mother myself, the first thing that cought my eyes in the last pic of the interior is a box that labed "toy box" and a nice drawing on the wall...you got kids? please dont answer if you feel tht I am intruding.

wassalam

Between Aabidah and myself we have 6 Children, 21 Grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren.

the toys and toy box were left by the previous owner. But, they are appreciated.

Mikayeel
05-21-2008, 02:20 AM
MashAllah this is amazing! :D

Mabruuk uncle woody!

Is the weather nice down the place you moved to? I would never leave Austin(if i lived there), weather is beautfil :D,

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Yea that was my point. When it snows, the chances of the snow getting dirty are slim. So MashaAllah it'll be whiteeee for a longer time. That would look beautiful.

Mikayeel
05-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Yea that was my point. When it snows, the chances of the snow getting dirty are slim. So MashaAllah it'll be whiteeee for a longer time. That would look beautiful.
Snow? brrrrr.... There is nothing more i cnt stand den snow lool :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Lol i like snow when its first fallen and its nice and white....MashaAllah its beautiful. It's a hassel when you gotta drive and such though. Also when it gets dirty. But where the brother lives, there are less chances of that :p So imagine seeing clean white snow everyday. SubhanAllah its a sight to see! Well I thinkso :D

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Lol i like snow when its first fallen and its nice and white....MashaAllah its beautiful. It's a hassel when you gotta drive and such though. Also when it gets dirty. But where the brother lives, there are less chances of that :p So imagine seeing clean white snow everyday. SubhanAllah its a sight to see! Well I thinkso :D
It has been a long time since I have lived in a snow belt state. But, it is like riding a bicycle, you never forget. Snow has a real beauty to it and the first snow of the season is like magic. It too is a blessing and seems to purify the earth. It has to be treated as a gift from Allaah(swt) and not seen as a curse.

Khayal
05-21-2008, 04:14 AM

MashaAllaah nice home, Mabrook! uncle Woodrow.

ashley66
05-21-2008, 04:37 AM
MasyaAllah, the interior has interesting niches and shapes. I love old houses. I'm sure it will be more beautiful and cozy soon. Wooden floor, unfenced properties, snow in winter and games, and people ride horses as a choice. Heavenly. Can't wait to see the pictures in winter. I came from a equatorial climate, so snow in winter must have such amazing calmness in it.

YusufNoor
05-21-2008, 04:56 AM

Mabrook Uncle and JazakAllah Khayr for the pics!

2 questions Uncle, 1st is Abdullah Muhammad your Muslim name? if so, may we call you that instead of Woodrow?

2nd, hundred year old house and all, did i miss the picture of the.....outhouse? :D

Re.TiReD
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
AssalamuAlaykum,

Wow beautiful, just beautiful! Mabruk Akhee on the shaadification! *grin* May Allah (swt) bless you and sis Aabidah with happiness beyond measure, Ameen!

And the male pheasant on page two....I think I just found the bird I was referring to in this here thread >> http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-saw-bird.html I got it all horribly wrong, lol

WassalamuAlaykum

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

Mabrook Uncle and JazakAllah Khayr for the pics!

2 questions Uncle, 1st is Abdullah Muhammad your Muslim name? if so, may we call you that instead of Woodrow?

2nd, hundred year old house and all, did i miss the picture of the.....outhouse? :D

Yes Abdullah Muhammad is my Islamic name and I would be pleased if you called me by it.

The house was renovated many times, the out house left when running water and electricity were added a few years ago.

Here is a section of one of the interior closet walls that has not been sheet rocked over, this is what the inside walls look like without the cosmetic sheet rocking.

YusufNoor
05-21-2008, 02:50 PM

Yes Abdullah Muhammad is my Islamic name and I would be pleased if you called me by it.

The house was renovated many times, the out house left when running water and electricity were added a few years ago.

Here is a section of one of the interior closet walls that has not been sheet rocked over, this is what the inside walls look like without the cosmetic sheet rocking.

JazakAllah Khayr Uncle Abdullah!

now, which room will you be fixing up for your Masala? [erm, is that spelt write?]

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

JazakAllah Khayr Uncle Abdullah!

now, which room will you be fixing up for your Masala? [erm, is that spelt write?]

We picked the first room on the right at the top of the stairs. It has a nice little nook in it that can hold a reading table and several chairs.

From the center of the room this is the direction of the Qiblah.

A quick look around the room. Needs painting and the horse border near the ceiling has to go.

The large walk in closet already has shelving and will be a mini-library.

Souljette
05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Mashallah niceee

truemuslim
05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
mashallah that house looks so amazing bro, and knowing its old makes it seem like ur living somewhere special.
dont forget after u fix it to show us pics! this is really beautiful already, cant imagine it after....

Tania
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Do you wish to hire a company to fix the house :? I like very much your house and land.
:

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
Do you wish to hire a company to fix the house :? I like very much your house and land.
:
We are planning to do the work ourselves. I doubt if there are any construction companies within 100 miles from here. Closest city is minneapolis 185 miles away.

Tania
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Its much better. :) You can't have trust in this companies.

truemuslim
05-21-2008, 07:04 PM
We are planning to do the work ourselves. I doubt if there are any construction companies within 100 miles from here. Closest city is minneapolis 185 miles away.

Wow mashallah thats soooo cool
meaning u dont have no white racist nieghbors nextdoor?! OMg u sooo lucky.
god bless u
may allah make it easy for u nd ur family inshallah:)

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
Wow mashallah thats soooo cool
meaning u dont have no white racist nieghbors nextdoor?! OMg u sooo lucky.
god bless u
may allah make it easy for u nd ur family inshallah:)
I think I am the one that is seen as being the white, racist neighbor. Most of our neighbors and my wife are Native American. Most of the people we know are Oglala Sioux, My wife is Cheyenne.

Our closest friends are Lakota Sioux, wonderful people and very dear friends.

The Husband is part French

truemuslim
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM
^ oooh lol
ur not a racist tho..........r u? (hah i doubt it)

Whatsthepoint
05-21-2008, 07:42 PM
That's great, Woodrow! I mean, Abullah Muhammad.:D:) I'll get used to the name.
I'm more into middle sized cities myself though.
Is your wife a muslim too?

Fishman
05-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Only 12 acres is "ours" most of the land surrounding us is:

1. owned by large co-ops for raising wheat and corn

2. Open range for public use as pasture land

3. wild life refugee areas for the protection of native wildlife

4. public domain used for camping, hunting and fishing

5. Owned by native Americans and managed by the Chippewa tribe. They harvest the wild rice and sell it.
Twelve whole acres... power! :Evil: *drools all over the floor*

The countryside looks like England, but the houses look American. You don't get farmhouses with wooden panels in the UK. In fact, you hardly get any houses with wooden panels here.

snakelegs
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I think I am the one that is seen as being the white, racist neighbor. Most of our neighbors and my wife are Native American. Most of the people we know are Oglala Sioux, My wife is Cheyenne.

Our closest friends are Lakota Sioux, wonderful people and very dear friends.

The Husband is part French
are you near pine ridge rez? is radio KILI still around?
edit - i forgot for a moment that you're in minnesota.

Güven
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
yeah those houses are lookin realy American and makes the countryside nice :)
the countryside looks like of Europe :D

Woodrow
05-21-2008, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
That's great, Woodrow! I mean, Abullah Muhammad.:D:) I'll get used to the name.
I'm more into middle sized cities myself though.
Is your wife a muslim too?

Yes my wife is Muslim. Islam is slowly spreading among the native Americans in South Dakota and Minnesota.

Perhaps our role will be that of helping with Dawah, Inshallah

truemuslim
05-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Yes my wife is Muslim. Islam is slowly spreading among the native Americans in South Dakota and Minnesota.

Perhaps our role will be that of helping with Dawah, Inshallah

Mashallah thats so cool
Inshallah u be spreading islam bro :statisfie
God bless u

Souljette
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Ameen

glo
05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
You'll always be Woodrow to me, Woodrow! :)

Woodrow
05-22-2008, 03:44 PM
You'll always be Woodrow to me, Woodrow! :)
That is quite alright. Woodrow actually has a very Islamic meaning as it means "Protector of the forest" and as a Muslim I am obligated to protect the gifts Allaah(swt) has given us.

Woodrow
05-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Allaah(swt) moves fast and some times gives unexpected gifts and new challanges. Yesterday we were given an opportunity to trade houses with some people on the Oglala Sioux Reservation at Pine Ridge, South Dakota.

Sunday we are going to Pine Ridge and see what it would entail.
Both Aabidah and my self have a strong desire to do what we can to help and work with Native Americans, the Pine Ridge Reservation is one of the most desolate and poverty stricken places in the USA. Perhaps that is our challange. Inshallah

Here are some links to the Reservation

Although this first video appears to have been made by Christian Evangelists, it does contain some good views of the reservation.

Media Tags are no longer supported

This video shows some of the pride the Sioux still have and the strong heart they still have as a nation

Media Tags are no longer supported

http://www.mnisose.org/profiles/oglala.htm

http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

There are 8 Sioux Muslims that we know of on the reservation. They are very isolated and are a major concern to us. Perhaps this is the plan Allaah(swt) has for us. Please make Du3a that we make the right choice Sunday.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I've never met a Muslim Native American. I bet that's cool MashaAllah :D
InshaAllah bro, we'll make du'a.

Woodrow
05-22-2008, 04:43 PM
I've never met a Muslim Native American. I bet that's cool MashaAllah :D
InshaAllah bro, we'll make du'a.
My wife Aabidah is one. She is from the Cheyenne Tribe.

There are several Sioux that we know who are asking us many questions about Islam and seem to have a very strong interest in learning more.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
InshaAllah, only the best will happen.

glo
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
That is quite alright. Woodrow actually has a very Islamic meaning as it means "Protector of the forest" and as a Muslim I am obligated to protect the gifts Allaah(swt) has given us.
I like the name Woodrow even better now, Woodrow. :)

snakelegs
05-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Allaah(swt) moves fast and some times gives unexpected gifts and new challanges. Yesterday we were given an opportunity to trade houses with some people on the Oglala Sioux Reservation at Pine Ridge, South Dakota.

Sunday we are going to Pine Ridge and see what it would entail.
Both Aabidah and my self have a strong desire to do what we can to help and work with Native Americans, the Pine Ridge Reservation is one of the most desolate and poverty stricken places in the USA. Perhaps that is our challange. Inshallah

Here are some links to the Reservation

Although this first video appears to have been made by Christian Evangelists, it does contain some good views of the reservation.

This video shows some of the pride the Sioux still have and the strong heart they still have as a nation

http://www.mnisose.org/profiles/oglala.htm

http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

There are 8 Sioux Muslims that we know of on the reservation. They are very isolated and are a major concern to us. Perhaps this is the plan Allaah(swt) has for us. Please make Du3a that we make the right choice Sunday.
yes, lakota nation has very strong spiritual life. i'm actually surprised that they allow christian evangelists on the rez! some of the activists in the early AIM (american indian movement) were from pine ridge. i believe they also set up a "freedom school" there many years ago. does radio KILI still broadcast?
i think that would really be cool if you end up moving to pine ridge.
isn't it funny how life often comes up with the unexpected?

MustafaMc
05-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Brother Woodrow, you are an inspiration for all of us Masha'Allah. I personally have appreciated the things that you have shared about your life. May Allah grant you and your bride an eternal home in Paradise.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-23-2008, 02:25 AM
InshaAllahhh, Ameen!

Tania
05-23-2008, 07:35 AM
And where are working the native americans from Oglala Sioux Reservation :? I saw only a shopping center and houses.

Souljette
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
WOWW mashallah well everything happens for a reason Inshallah dis is great opportunity to give Dawah for u

Woodrow
05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
And where are working the native americans from Oglala Sioux Reservation :? I saw only a shopping center and houses.
Unemployment is very high.

some do work as guides for tourists that visit the area for hunting and fishing. some do make and sell handicrafts. some of the land is used for wheat and other grain production.

but typically the average family lives on what they can raise and otherwise depend on charity.

Some do work periodically off of the rez as migrant farm workers and each year many leave the rez to try to find a living in the large cities. A sad legacy for a brave and beautiful people.

I see the Sioux as being very similar to the Palestinians, their land stolen and the people driven into hardship. The result of broken promises and failed treaties.

m102313
05-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Such a beautiful new home. I hope you both spend many happy years there together. :)

Living in the UK I cannot get over the space you have around you! Wow!!!
Yh! True, in the UK i don't think it's possible to get that much space, even for a million pound.

Anyways bro woodroow, im really happy for you and your wife abidah, may Allah grant both of you Jannatul Firdaus. Ameen :)

Tania
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Unemployment is very high.
The reservation doesn't have a mayor which could find investors (some companies which could not destroy the environment and give a job to the people from there :?)

Woodrow
05-23-2008, 08:39 PM
The reservation doesn't have a mayor which could find investors (some companies which could not destroy the environment and give a job to the people from there :?)
The Reservations operate under seperate laws from the USA, they are under a treaty with the US. For many reasons the native Americans do not trust the US Government and would never agree to having any non-native businesses set up on Native American soil.

The laws are quite complicated and very fragile. Many treaties have been broken in the past all resulting in loss of land for the Native Americans. The territory is not under US laws and is run by a tribal system with a tribal council and chief.

Plus most businesses and the US governement seem to be more interested in just getting a foot in the door and take more land. The tribes themselves do not have the financial resources to start any industry.

I do not see the tribes opening the door for industry anytime in the forseeable future. To do so will be the end of the last of the Native Americans as a Nation.

glo
05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
^
So would it be fair to say that the native Americans forgo (modern American) wealth and riches for the sake of preserving their reservations and their way of life?

Can people make a living in 'the old traditional ways'?
Can they be self-sufficient?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
God...why do we end up with trolls on here? Get a life will ya.

glo
05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
^ It's a German troll! :D

Ali.
05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
^ It's OK, it's gone.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
LOL good good. How many reservations are there in the US?

glo
05-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Back to Woodrow's wonderful thread ...

Woodrow
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
^
So would it be fair to say that the native Americans forgo (modern American) wealth and riches for the sake of preserving their reservations and their way of life?
Yes, but it is not always by choice. There is some prejudice against Native Americans in many areas. This was/is their land yet they are the ones treated as being foreigners. For some it has been a very difficult thing to adapt to "American" life.

Can people make a living in 'the old traditional ways'?
Can they be self-sufficient?
Some of the tribes have successfully done so. The Seneca and Mohawk in upper New York State have done so and suppliment their life by working as high rise construction workers. For some reason the seneca and Mohawk seem to be born with no fear of heights and they excell as high level construction workers.

Also some tribes such as the Caddo and Cherokee have done well with making and selling deer leather clothing and shoes. the Navajo do well with silver and tourquise jewelry making along with blanket making.

At one point the Sioux did very well with gold smithing when the gold mines in the black hills were part of the reservation.

Woodrow
05-23-2008, 10:55 PM
LOL good good. How many reservations are there in the US?
I don't know the exact number but between the State and Federal ones I would gues about 100, but they only account for about 10% of the total US land population which is a raw deal when you think all of this was their land a few hundred years ago.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Yea that's very little compared to all of it being theirs:( It's really sad, especially since u said people are trying to take more of their land. At least leave them alone now, gosh.

snakelegs
05-24-2008, 12:48 AM

Some of the tribes have successfully done so. The Seneca and Mohawk in upper New York State have done so and suppliment their life by working as high rise construction workers. For some reason the seneca and Mohawk seem to be born with no fear of heights and they excell as high level construction workers.

Also some tribes such as the Caddo and Cherokee have done well with making and selling deer leather clothing and shoes. the Navajo do well with silver and tourquise jewelry making along with blanket making.

At one point the Sioux did very well with gold smithing when the gold mines in the black hills were part of the reservation.
here a lot of tribes of opted for casinos. my guess is that there is a HUGE amount of money flowing, but not in to the pockets of those in need.
casinos just seem like an awfully sad form of "self-determination".

Tania
05-24-2008, 04:31 AM
I didn't know the reservations have their own laws. :-[ You live now not under us laws anymore :)

snakelegs
05-24-2008, 06:52 AM
i think the troll was somebody else who has been vacuum cleaned outa here.
indian reservations are, in a way, separate nations with their own laws.
that's why they can do things like have gambling casinos.

Tania
05-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Las Vegas iys full with casinos.

The native americans can marry outside and bring the half in reservation :? or its not allowed :?

Woodrow
05-24-2008, 12:38 PM
The laws in the US come under several jurisdictions,

National (federal) laws which apply to all, however the Reservations come strictly under the Department of Indian affairs in which the laws are established by treaty and may or may not be the same as the Federal Laws that apply to the rest of the US. some notable differences are the tax laws and property rights.

State laws apply to each individual State, the reservations are not governed by them at all. Each reservations has it's right to establish it's own local laws and the state has no power on the reservation.

As Snakelegs mentioned some reservations have opted to have gambling casinos, which are illegal in most states. However, the casinos have backfired in many of the reservations that have opted to permit them, very little income from them goes to the people.

When I am on the reservation I am bound by both Reservation and federal laws, while the Natives are under only the Reservation laws.

It is permissable for people on the reservation to marry outside the reservation although this has been destroying the reservations as there are now very few full blooded Native Americans as a result of the inter marriage. On some tribal areas the people are now less then 1/4 Native American Ancestry.

Woodrow
05-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Las Vegas iys full with casinos.

The native americans can marry outside and bring the half in reservation :? or its not allowed :?
Nevada is one of the States that has legalized gambling. Las Vegas is not on any reservation and is not operated by Native Americans.

Yes it is permissable for people on the reservation to marry people from outside the Rez and bring them to the Rez, but it usually works in the opposite direction and the person moves off the rez with their spouse.

glo
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Woodrow, I hope your absence from this forum has some happy reasons (such as being newly married, having an ever growing extended family, and a load of animals to take care of ... :D)

I am sure that I am speaking for others as well when I say that you are missed!

Tania
05-29-2008, 02:30 PM
They didn't move the horses, yet :-[

glo
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Ah, perhaps that's why Woodrow is busy.

Woodrow
05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Woodrow, I hope your absence from this forum has some happy reasons (such as being newly married, having an ever growing extended family, and a load of animals to take care of ... :D)

I am sure that I am speaking for others as well when I say that you are missed!
Thank You Glo. yes the abscence is because of work. Also been looking at a house in Huron, SD which has some advantages and some disadvantages.

We have quite a few options and are now trying to sort out which is the best. The House in Huron is closer to the Pine ridge Reservation. The One in Minnesota is a better house and location for the hourses, the one in Faith SD is near the Cheyenne River Reservation and the one in Zeeland, North Dakota is near the Northeth Cheyenne Reservation.

so the question now is which house to keep and which ones to sell.

we did cut the number of horses down to 11, but it is still a large herd to be moving and they do need a lot of space. The Minnesota land and the Faith land are the best for the horses. The Minnesota house is the one we like best, but moving 11 horses nearly 600 miles is proving to be a larger project then we thought. It is will take us at least 3 more weeks if we go that route.

But, we are praying deeply over it and are confident that Allaah(swt) will make the best choice easy for us. At the moment we are spending a few days in Faith, SD and going to Pine Ridge, later today to speak with some Native American Muslims we know on the Reservation.

biggest problem is internet connection. we are using the laptop wireless but in most areas we are out of range for any connection.

Woodrow
05-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Just bumping this up for a brother who was interested in seeing some of the pictures.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.