/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women And Islam

usaith
05-19-2008, 01:14 PM

:sl:
MY DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS I JUST GOT THE IDEA OF SHOWING THE WORLD ABOUT THE WOMEN IN ISLAM FOR AN INSTANCE LIKE THE LIFE OF A WOMEN WHO IS A MUSLIM BUT IN A WESTERN COUNTRY,THEIR ACHIEVEMENT AND ETC.I WOULD REQUIRE YOUR HELP,IDEAS AND EXPRESSION BECAUSE THE WORLD HAS MISUNDERSTOOD ISLAM AND THE WOMEN IN IT:)
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
usaith
05-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Women And Islam

By Tyseer Aboulnasr, Ph.D.

IMAGE OF MUSLIM WOMEN
As a Muslim woman, I found myself thrown right into the controversy of women's role in today's society. Over and over I had to explain that what you see in a Hollywood movie about Islam has nothing to do with Islam. For years and years, the average western person has been subjected to one image of a Muslim woman: mysteriously veiled, heavily guarded, living in a harem with a brutal sex maniac for a husband. One can't really blame this person if he or she accepts this image as true especially if he or she never saw Muslim women in any other light.

So how can one start this preconceived image and get this person to see where a woman fits in a truly Muslim society? I can only try to highlight the status of women in the actual teachings of Islam as opposed to the practices of many so-called Muslim countries and the misrepresentation of Hollywood movies. Then, it would be up to the individual to pass a fair judgement on where women stand in a truly Muslim society.

usaith
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
MEN AND WOMEN ARE EQUAL
Let us start right from the beginning, the creation of Adam and Eve as revealed by God in the Qur'an. Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat fruit from the tree but both were tempted by Satan to taste it. They both sinned and later regretted it. God repeatedly reprimanded them both. Thus, in no way was Eve and subsequently all women held responsible for the original sin nor was she considered as Satan's way to get to Adam and all his male descendants. That, to start with, breaks to pieces the general belief that women are the cause of men's sufferings on earth, that they are Satan's temptation, an evil to be avoided if at all possible. In Islam, men and women are created equal as human beings though obviously not identical. Throughout the Qur'an, it is repeated over and over that men and women are created as companions on earth to complement and comfort one another. They are both held accountable for their deeds, individually. Both are rewarded or punished equally for their deeds. Muslims have been spared the debate about whether a woman had a soul or whether she was a person or not. That was never questioned while it was a hot issue in western societies up to the 1930's when the Supreme Court of Canada passed a judgement that women really are persons! This was simply a fact asserted by a religion that was born in a society where burying newborn girls alive, out of shame, as common practice. Sons were a source of pride while girls brought along disgrace. Islam immediately prohibited such a brutal discrimination. It was spelled out clearly that one person, be it male or female, can be better than another by virtue of his or her piety alone, not sex, not origin.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.