/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How does your garden grow?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

glo
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I love the growing season! :statisfie

We only have a small garden, but we try to grow as much food in it as we can.
I thought I'd share some pictures with you here.

Please feel free add your own gardening pictures ... :)

Here is our garden in its full glory! Taken this morning from the upstairs window:

The soft fruit patch (strawberries, blackberries, white currants and gooseberries)

The runner beans (only just taking off):

The rhubarb, nexy to the home-built 'wormery'

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
A lot in our garden is home-built or recycled.

Our recycled water storage (made from an old oil drum). Rain water is collected from the roof.

Potatoes growing in old tyres:

The raised bed with tomatoes (front) and lettuce (back).

Snowflake
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Greetings Glo,

Congrats, you just created the first gardening thread! :D

Strawberries, blackberries, white currants and gooseberries WOW!

I love the first two. I've never seen white currants and gooseberries taste too bland for my liking. Have you ever tasted mulberries (shahtoot in paki lingo) Oh Glo, they are the tastiest berry in the world. Please grow them! lol

My garden is full of weeds and the earth to hard to dig, so not much going on there to post about :-\

Peace dear sis x

Snowflake
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh and what's a wormery? Do you breed your own worms or sumthing :?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
We only have a small garden, but we try to grow as much food in it as we can.
Hehe.. it's still rather bigger than mine, though!

Oddly enough, after years of neglect the Mrs and I have finally turned our attention to gardening and I had a vanload of new sand, soil, compost and such delivered this morning ready for the holiday weekend. We are trying to grow food as well, the store prices have gone through the roof recently and whereas in the past I doubt it would have been economical it certainly is now.

P.S If anybody has any tips about how to keep slugs away from salad plants without harming them (both slugs and salad), please let me know!

glo
05-22-2008, 11:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Hehe.. it's still rather bigger than mine, though!

Oddly enough, after years of neglect the Mrs and I have finally turned our attention to gardening and I had a vanload of new sand, soil, compost and such delivered this morning ready for the holiday weekend. We are trying to grow food as well, the store prices have gone through the roof recently and whereas in the past I doubt it would have been economical it certainly is now.

P.S If anybody has any tips about how to keep slugs away from salad plants without harming them (both slugs and salad), please let me know!
It's surprising how much food you can grow, even in a small space ...

Good luck with your gardening! :)

glo
05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
We try to attract wildlife into our garden.

Our nest box. (A couple of bluetits are raising their young at the moment)

The hedgehog house

The beehouse (for solitary bees)

glo
05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Oh and what's a wormery? Do you breed your own worms or sumthing :?
It's really just a compost bin.

But I suppose you are right ... we feed the worms with kitchen waste, and they breed and turn the waste into compost for us ...

Just for you, sis, I have taken a picture of the inside of the wormery. Prepare yourself!!! :D

Tania
05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Do you have hedgehog in the house :?

glo
05-22-2008, 01:22 PM
^ Not in my house, Tania.

But we do have hedgehogs visiting our garden in the summer. They can be pretty noisy! And they are great, because they eat slugs and other pests.
The hedgehog house is full of straw, so they can rest during the day or even hibernate in the winter.

We only built the hedgehog house last summer, and no hedgehog spent the winter in it. A whole lot of enormous spiders did instead. :D

fatima_01
05-22-2008, 01:25 PM
wow u must b really takin care of it love the oil drum nd tyres tho wiked

Tania
05-22-2008, 01:42 PM
The hedgehog house is full of straw, so they can rest during the day or even hibernate in the winter.

We only built the hedgehog house last summer, and no hedgehog spent the winter in it. A whole lot of enormous spiders did instead. :D
I asked because i saw the pic with the hedgehog house and i didn't know if its empty or not. :-[ I like them . - they are very cute.
Why you didn't plant the potatoes in the land:?

glo
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
Why you didn't plant the potatoes in the land:?
We don't have much space.
Plus, you can stack tyres up and continue to fill them with soil. As the plant grows up towards the light, it continues to grow longer roots - and therefore more potatoes.

Tania
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
We don't have much space.
Plus, you can stack tyres up and continue to fill them with soil. As the plant grows up towards the light, it continues to grow longer roots - and therefore more potatoes.
It means you can easily pick up the potatoes from soil, removing the tyres (in the end). I have a very small garden and i put nothing until now there (just finished to build the house and i have to clean the land), so i am looking forward to arrange the green space with maximum benefit

Snowflake
05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
It's really just a compost bin.

But I suppose you are right ... we feed the worms with kitchen waste, and they breed and turn the waste into compost for us ...

Just for you, sis, I have taken a picture of the inside of the wormery. Prepare yourself!!! :D

lol Ohhhh myyyyy! Thank God I have a strong stomach. :laugh:

truemuslim
05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
lol Ohhhh myyyyy! Thank God I have a strong stomach. :laugh:

LOOOL!
Same here!! hahahaa

lol

Glo, mashallah ur garden is so amazing, and whats best is how u make pots wit tires, and not waste hose water instead u use rain water! Thats so amazing mashallah!
Oh btw ur garden is huge compared to ours. lol
its still dead at the moment.
But i will take pictures of it inshallah when its alive....

glo
05-22-2008, 06:14 PM
^ Thanks, truemuslim.
My husband is pretty handy when it comes to making stuff.
And we both feel quite strongly about environmental issues and the environment.
So reusing and recycling comes quite naturally to us.

Looking forward to your garden pics. :)

truemuslim
05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
^ mashallah thats great how u both care!
May allah bless u . :)

Snowflake
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
greetings Glo,

I fancy doing a bit of gardening myself now. The only problem is that whatever I plant soon dies. I even tried growing some basil and watercress on my windowsill. Some weedy looking things came up but nothing like the pics on the seed packet. I thought it would grow some more but I think that was as much as it was going to go cuz soon it started dying. I never got to make that tomato and basil pasta I was so looking forward to.

Tips please? :D

glo
05-22-2008, 08:59 PM
^I've never had much success with basil either, sis. And I have never tried growing watercress.
So no gardening tips from me, I'm afraid ... :-[

Mikayeel
05-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I love gardening! I love green, and flowers!

My garden is huge!, However i can't make a start to it:( Everytime i say next spring lool!

MustafaMc
05-23-2008, 02:10 AM
Peace, Glo, I really liked your pictures. I don't have much in the way of vegetables to show right now as our spring has been too cool and wet. Just recently I transplanted tomatoes and sweet peppers and my wife planted some herbs. Today, she and I planted 16m of 3 different beans - Christmas Speckled large pole lima, Persian small pole lima and Dixie Speckled Butterpea bush-type. It rained some this evening, but we may be able to plant more tomorrow evening.

We live in an area where the soil is a heavy clay that is very difficult to work. We had 3 dump trucks full of sandy soil brought in that we spread on our garden spot. The soil is now much easier to till. God willing I will post some pictures soon.

truemuslim
05-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Anything i try to plant i accidently mow it the next day...:(
lol
if its actually behind the lil garden thing i dont, but it dies .

glo
05-23-2008, 06:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Peace, Glo, I really liked your pictures. I don't have much in the way of vegetables to show right now as our spring has been too cool and wet. Just recently I transplanted tomatoes and sweet peppers and my wife planted some herbs. Today, she and I planted 16m of 3 different beans - Christmas Speckled large pole lima, Persian small pole lima and Dixie Speckled Butterpea bush-type. It rained some this evening, but we may be able to plant more tomorrow evening.

We live in an area where the soil is a heavy clay that is very difficult to work. We had 3 dump trucks full of sandy soil brought in that we spread on our garden spot. The soil is now much easier to till. God willing I will post some pictures soon.
Thank you, Mustafa.

Despite being at the end of May, it has been fairly cool here too ... and it shows. The tomatoes should be doing better by now.
The cucumbers, cougettes and sweetcorn are looking so scrawny that I haven't bothered posting pictures yet.

Last year was a terrible growing season with the spring cold and wet and the summer just wet!
It was a great year for the soft fruit - we still have some raspberries in the freezer. But the vegetables did not do well at all, the tomatoes caught blight and rotted away ...

God willing this year will be better. :)

16 metres? That must be longer than our entire garden!
Do you grow just for your own use, or do you have surplus?

peace

truemuslim
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
^ WOOW OMG LOOOL!!
Hehe yeh
Some animal robs our tomatos! Lol
seriously
our tomatoes, cucumber (which always turns out DELICIOUS!!), green pepper, everything!

glo
05-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Cleaning up the garden means that sooner or later we have a bonfire in the fire pit. (It usually creates havoc with the lawn too ... but, hey!)

Today we burnt old dry branches and twigs, which had been lying around since we cut back the garden in the autumn (that's fall to some of you foreigners :D)

Nice, eh?!
No marshmallows this time though ... :mmokay:

Mikayeel
05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Cleaning up the garden means that sooner or later we have a bonfire in the fire pit. (It usually creates havoc with the lawn too ... but, hey!)

Today we burnt old dry branches and twigs, which had been lying around since we cut back the garden in the autumn (that's fall to some of you foreigners :D)

Nice, eh?!
No marshmallows this time though ... :mmokay:
lool, last time i tried that the neighbours called on us.

We where given a warning, and if it was repeated agian we would of been fined!

MustafaMc
05-24-2008, 03:13 AM
16 metres? That must be longer than our entire garden!
Do you grow just for your own use, or do you have surplus?
Last year my wife put up vegetables in the freezer and canned the green beans. Masha'Allah we were able to eat vegetables (green beans, lima beans, cowpeas, squash, corn, okra) from the garden all winter. Between yesterday and today, we planted 12 rows X 16m. God willing, my wife, MuslimahBarb, will send some pictures tomorrow, but there is not much to see right now.

MustafaMc
05-24-2008, 03:15 AM
This little creature manages to find our gooseberry and currant bushes every year!

The larvae look just like caterpillars, but turn into wasp-like creatures rather than butterflies or moths.
I was surprised when you told me this insect was in the wasp family. This looks like one of the main pests on cotton from the moth family.

Snowflake
05-24-2008, 11:17 AM
^I've never had much success with basil either, sis. And I have never tried growing watercress.
So no gardening tips from me, I'm afraid ... :-[
aww lol no worries.. I'll try to grow something this year inshaAllah. Btw, my lawn is always yellowish. I think the quality of soil is poor; I heard this place used to be a car scrap yard before. Does that mean planting anything will be futile?

The larvae look just like caterpillars, but turn into wasp-like creatures rather than butterflies or moths.
Sounds like fruit-flies to me.. they look like small wasps.

glo
05-24-2008, 11:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar
lool, last time i tried that the neighbours called on us.

We where given a warning, and if it was repeated agian we would of been fined!
People quite frequently have garden fires in our area. It's no different to barbeques, I suppose ...

Although we live in a highly populated area, our town is a conservation area (going back to Victorian times). Many houses still have their open fireplaces, and coal and wood fires are permitted.
Perhaps the same allpies to outdoor fires.

glo
05-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Sounds like fruit-flies to me.. they look like small wasps.
I was surprised when you told me this insect was in the wasp family. This looks like one of the main pests on cotton from the moth family.
The larvae don't look any different to butterfly or moth caterpillars.

I found a picture of the sawfly:

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/sawflies.html

MuslimahBarb
05-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Here are a few photos of our garden:

This is the wide view of the garden.

The view of the length of it. You can also see the fence that Mustafa has been building around our property.

The plants in the front raised beds is peppers. Pardon the grassiness of the end of back raised beds. I have worked on cleaning that up today so we can plant something such as cucumbers in it when Mustafa returns from his trip.

Though they are still quite small the plants in the front raised beds is tomatoes, the plants in the raised bed behind it is strawberries that Mustafa planted earlier this year.

These are our blackberry plants. Again excuse all the grass. That area is hard to get to to mow.

A more close-up view of the blackberries.

And finally, our Purple Martin house.

glo
05-25-2008, 08:49 AM
^ That's a wonderful garden, Barbara!

I walked off the length and width of our garden to get a rough measure. From the back of the house to the end wall it is approximately 20 x 6 metres.

I'm amazed your blackberries are already ripening. Our's are only just in flower ... I wonder if it's a different variety?

glo
05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Correction, Barbara ... our blackberries are only just budding and are not even in flower yet!

Out of interest, how do you deal with pests in your garden?
Do you use pesticides? Do you kill pests by other means?
Are there any Islamic rulings on this? (I recall reading threads here in LI on not killing God's creatures ...)

Tania
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Its very difficult to build a bird house :?

MustafaMc
05-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Its very difficult to build a bird house :?
No, not really. The one in the picture was a kit that just snapped together, but I have built smaller houses for bluebirds. There are plans on the internet to give one ideas, but it does take a few tools and basic carpentery skills.

MustafaMc
05-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Out of interest, how do you deal with pests in your gardenDo you use pesticides? Do you kill pests by other means??
Well, I do most of the pest control. If there are relatively few insects, I just let them go, but if they start to build up significantly I will spray a pesticide from the local coop. I don't aim for a blemish-free garden, but neither do I let the little critters eat it all up.
Are there any Islamic rulings on this? (I recall reading threads here in LI on not killing God's creatures ...)
I am not sure about this one, but I agree that it is wrong to kill just to be killing. I am sure that it is allowed to kill spiders, snakes, scorpions, mosquitos, etc.

Al-Zaara
05-26-2008, 06:11 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/671710-post1.html

:statisfie

snakelegs
05-26-2008, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
not everybody can grow those!! ;D

Tania
05-26-2008, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
They are very very cute:statisfie and sleeping so peaceful.

Keltoi
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I actually have an orchard, which while technically not a garden, is still something you have to take care of. The peaches are coming in quite nicely. I also have pears, apples, and cherries. The insects ate alot of it up last year, so I'm making a preemptive strike this year.

MustafaMc
05-26-2008, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I actually have an orchard, which while technically not a garden, is still something you have to take care of. The peaches are coming in quite nicely. I also have pears, apples, and cherries. The insects ate alot of it up last year, so I'm making a preemptive strike this year.
Well, I think that an orchard counts too. What specific varieties of fruit trees do you have? Do you have any Asian pears?

glo
05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
After a week of almost constant rain, the sun has finally come out again and it is nice and warm. :statisfie

A few things have changed in the garden.

Firstly, the bluetit babies have flown and the nestbox is empty ...

The tomatoes and blackberries have started flowering:

DSCN3713 1?t1212062891 -

DSCN3714 1?t1212062920 -

glo
05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Now the baby birds have flown, I have opened the nest box.

1. To check if any dead babies were left (there weren't!), and
2. To empty the contents out to prevent parasites settling in.

The inside was a little damp due to the heavy rain we've had for several days now, but doesn't it look snug and cosy? (Mostly moss, grass, wool and feathers)
Sorry, it's a bit messy inside ... but that's baby birds for you! :D

DSCN3718 1?t1212062626 -

The second pictures gives you a better idea of the nesting materials:

DSCN37201 1?t1212062694 -

Tania
05-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I will make a bird house and will try to arrange it. But i have to fill it with grass :? The birds have the habit to change their places, like this summer here, next summer in other place :?
I would like to have a bird, like this one:

glo
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I will make a bird house and will try to arrange it. But i have to fill it with grass :? The birds have the habit to change their places, like this summer here, next summer in other place :?
I would like to have a bird, like this one:

I didn't fill the nestbox with nesting material, Tania. The birds did.
But I did hang some upspun wool in a nearby bush, for them to use.

I like that bird in your post. What is it called?

This is the kind of bird which uses our nest box. It's called a blue tit.

Tania
05-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Your bird its very colorful :)
Its a sparrow - they eat whatever i give them from kitchen:)

MustafaMc
05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Your bird its very colorful :)
Its a sparrow - they eat whatever i give them from kitchen:)
I rather like the bird in your avatar - that is a pelican isn't it? I wonder what kind of house she would require?

Tania
05-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I rather like the bird in your avatar - that is a pelican isn't it? I wonder what kind of house she would require?
Yes, she lives in south - east of my country (Delta Danube) and her nest its made from reed:

The people try to help them by building up nest places,like here:

May be if you would have a river near to your garden, then you could build a nest for her :)

MustafaMc
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, she lives in south - east of my country (Delta Danube) and her nest its made from reed:

May be if you would have a river near to your garden, then you could build a nest for her :)
I probably would, but that seems like a lot more work than the birdhouses I have built previously. The picture of the birdhouse that my wife, MuslimahBarb, posted was intended for Purple Martins. Interestingly, we had no Martins to nest, but a few Sparrows have used it instead. Purple Martins are a migratory bird that spend the winter in South America and then return in March or so to nest. Typically, they are a bird that likes to be around people and they eat insects like mosquitos that are a serious nusiance where I live. We had a Martin to fly around and to land on the house, but for whatever reason decided not to nest. God willing, I will put up more houses before next spring as I think they like to nest in groups.

transition?
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
:sl:

I wanted to start gardening.
I did a little research on what grows best in North Georgia (tomatoes, melons, and some herbs)
Do you when the best time to get started would be? :D

Pk_#2
06-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I didn't fill the nestbox with nesting material, Tania. The birds did.
But I did hang some upspun wool in a nearby bush, for them to use.

I like that bird in your post. What is it called?

This is the kind of bird which uses our nest box. It's called a blue tit.

I can find out what them birds are, my little sister is a 'bird nerd'..Kids these days! Nice thread btw, I want to add pics, but not really much of a gardener.

Malaikah
06-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Nice garden Glo! We have one of those water recycling systems too, its great! And we used to have the worm things also, but dad got rid of those a while ago (thank God!).

All credit to my parents... I don't visit the garden much, too many insects!! We don't get anything cool like hedgehogs, but we get lizards! Usually small ones, but we found a big blue tongue lizard the other day!

glo
06-04-2008, 10:24 PM
^ I love that lizard, Malaikah! :)

glo
06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Today the sun is out, and so are the bees!

Here are two bumble bees.
The first on the blackberry bush, which is now in full flower:

DSCN3734 1?t1212669036 -

The second on the raspberry bush:

DSCN3736 1?t1212669095 -

They look quite cuddly, don't they? :D

This is our first ripe alpine strawberry ... somebody else has already taken a bite!

DSCN3737 1?t1212669184 -

We have gooseberries and strawberries in great numbers, but it will be another couple of weeks before they are ripe ... time to wait patiently!! :D

DSCN3738 1?t1212669242 -

Malaikah
06-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Does your camera have a zoom thing that lets you take a close up pic from like, 5m away, or did you really get that close to the bee?:omg:

truemuslim
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
WOW GLO! Those pics are awesome!!
You should take pics proffecenaly (ohh my spelled waaay off!!!) lol

Tania
06-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I like the bees and the pictures show them so cute :) Have you added something to the soil to have a bigger number of fruits :?

glo
06-05-2008, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Does your camera have a zoom thing that lets you take a close up pic from like, 5m away, or did you really get that close to the bee?:omg:
I cropped the picture a little, but I didn't use a zoom.
I never thought about it, but I was only a few inches away from the bees ... in fact I got closer to the bees than the apline strawberry! :D

I gather you don't like creepy-crawlies much, Malaikah ... am I right? :giggling:

Malaikah
06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I gather you don't like creepy-crawlies much, Malaikah ... am I right? :giggling:
How'd you guess? :phew

Oh, that reminds me of the time me and my friends when to McDonalds (halal one) and sat outside to eat... and there was bee next to us! We kind of all jumped out of our seats... how embarrassing.:hiding:

Umar001
06-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Insha'Allah whenI go eritrea I'll take a picture of a thing they call hanziz or something, it is like a beatle with wings and u tie its leg or something to a string and it flies and you play like that.

I'm sure malaikah will like it.

Malaikah
06-05-2008, 02:02 PM
*Crosses Eritria off places to visit list.*

Er, just to keep this post on topic, I once saw the weirdest insect in the backyard, it had a X on its back!

Oh, and pomegranate are one of the worst fruits to grow youself when it comes to insects... there were so many SPIDERS hiding in that weird part of the bottom of the pomegranate!

Tania
06-05-2008, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Insha'Allah whenI go eritrea I'll take a picture of a thing they call hanziz or something, it is like a beatle with wings and u tie its leg or something to a string and it flies and you play like that.

I'm sure malaikah will like it.
Today they are not anymore under harasment but years ago certain children played with them exactly how did you described:

Umar001
06-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Yea, wow, mr Hanziz we meet again!

I hope insha'Allah one day I will have a garden and I will grow stuff.

Woodrow
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
My garden this year is a little small for Minnesota. Here it is.

The lettuce is coming up.

The people across the street from me have a little bigger garden.

It is all corn and has really shot up in the past couple of days

truemuslim
06-05-2008, 03:14 PM
LOOL bro Abdullah! Compare your garden with therees! LOOOL! I thought the big one was yours at first!

Mashallah tho, at least your planting good stuff like lettuce! :)

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Kewl pics Masha'Allah.

My parents are keen gardeners I would say, we have all sorts of flowers growing in it inlcuding red/yellow roses, jasmine flowers, and other types of flowers. we ghave cherry tree n and tomato plants.

glo
06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
My garden this year is a little small for Minnesota. Here it is.

The lettuce is coming up.

Perfect container gardening, Woodrow!

The lettuces look wonderful.
Obviously you have to hang them up high, so the horses can't get to them! :D

Woodrow
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Perfect container gardening, Woodrow!

The lettuces look wonderful.
Obviously you have to hang them up high, so the horses can't get to them! :D
Close enough. We don't have the fencing up yet so the horses are still in SD. We had planned to free range them, but everybody around us planted corn so that is out.

Once we get the fencing up we still won't be able to have a garden as we will need all of the acerage for the horses.

Malaikah
06-06-2008, 12:15 AM
So.... Woodrow... your neightbours, big family to feed, yeh?

Woodrow
06-06-2008, 01:18 AM
So.... Woodrow... your neightbours, big family to feed, yeh?
Most of the farm land this year seems to be planted in corn. In the past corn was one of the smaller crops and the largest crops were potatoes, soy beans, and sun flowers. But at the moment the ethanol plants are paying top dollar to produce E85 gasoline substitute. The ethanol plants are planning to produce at least 1,000,000,000 Gallons of it in 2008. It sells for almost half the price of gasoline and it appears Minnesota will stop using gasoline throughout the state very soon. E85 currently sells for $2.55 at the gas stations and Gasoline is right at $4.00 per gallon. The price of E85 is dropping as more is produced.

Source: http://www.ffeic.org/assets/File/Eth...0Minnesota.pdf

The giant farms in Minnesota are owned and operated by local Co-ops and/or the Native American tribes

snakelegs
06-06-2008, 01:57 AM
no agribusiness in minnesota?
here you will see HUGE fields planted with one crop. i think it's called monoculture.

Woodrow
06-06-2008, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
no agribusiness in minnesota?
here you will see HUGE fields planted with one crop. i think it's called monoculture.
It the past the huge firelds were potatoes, sunflowers and soy beans. It now looks like corn is going to become the dominate mono crop. At the moment it is in the biggest demand.

At this point their is plenty of E85 to support all of the automobiles in Minnesota and over half of the production is being exported to other states. I suspect the production has maxed and as E85 begins to sell in other states, people within will produce it and have no need to import it from Minnesota.

snakelegs
06-06-2008, 02:40 AM
i think the gov't subsidizes growers of corn and soy.

MuslimahBarb
06-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Garden photo update, we had just planted the garden when I posted the photos last week, here is one of the photos taken last week and below it is a photo I took yesterday which was about 11 days after planting. It is progressing nicely. :D Yesterday and today Mustafa & I planted more in the garden, we planted corn, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers as well as onion. Now we will see if it all comes up.:sunny:

The photo taken 11 days ago.

Photo taken yesterday.

Salaam,
Barb

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
^ your garden is sooo big, I would make a football pitch on it personally ;--)

Woodrow
06-06-2008, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimahBarb
Garden photo update, we had just planted the garden when I posted the photos last week, here is one of the photos taken last week and below it is a photo I took yesterday which was about 11 days after planting. It is progressing nicely. :D Yesterday and today Mustafa & I planted more in the garden, we planted corn, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers as well as onion. Now we will see if it all comes up.:sunny:

The photo taken 11 days ago.

Photo taken yesterday.

Salaam,
Barb
Wa Salaam,

Beautiful Garden. I notice you are in Mississippi, you have to plant okra too, the big purple spinless variety. After it comes up you can invite us all over for a big bowl of Mississippi Gumbo.

MuslimahBarb
06-06-2008, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
^ your garden is sooo big, I would make a football pitch on it personally ;--)
I think it is 35ft x 85ft or about that size.

MuslimahBarb
06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Wa Salaam,

Beautiful Garden. I notice you are in Mississippi, you have to plant okra too, the big purple spinless variety. After it comes up you can invite us all over for a big bowl of Mississippi Gumbo.
Wa Alaikum Salam

Br. Woodrow,

Thank you akhi. Yes we are indeed in Mississippi and we do have okra planted. :D Still have some in the freezer from last year. The thing about okra it is so prolific and grows so fast. We have planted 4 different varieties of okra, they are Lousiana short, Clemson spineless, Blondie and Hill Country red. I usually either cook it in a gumbo or fry it, though I did stew it with tomatoes once and that turned out pretty good as well.

BTW Congratulations on your recent marriage. I saw the photos you posted of your home in Minnesota, absolutely beautiful there. I hope you and your wife are getting settled into your home.

Salaam,
Sr. Barbara

glo
06-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Your plants are coming on nicely, Barbara! :)

Today we built a little pond in the corner of our garden.
We are hoping to attract some frogs and other wildlife. Plus, the birds will have somewhere to come for a drink.

DSCN3768 1?t1212940289 -

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
06-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Kewl, i like the way you've put the wood around it.

Woodrow
06-09-2008, 03:35 AM

We are hoping to attract some frogs and other wildlife. Plus, the birds will have somewhere to come for a drink.

DSCN3768 1?t1212940289 -
Beautiful, plants are some of the most wonderful of creation and when shown near water, nothing seems able to top the beauty.

MuslimahBarb
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM

DSCN3768 1?t1212940289 -
Glo,
I really like your garden pond. It is really nice how you utilize your garden. I hope you are able to attract the wildlife you are seeking to. I know the frogs and birds will be appreciative of your pond. :D

Yes the veggie garden is coming along, the corn we planted last week is now up as is the the squash, melons and cucumbers. I will post updated photos of them soon.

Salaam,
Barbara

Woodrow
06-10-2008, 01:23 AM
I AM JEALOUS OF YOU GUYS.

Can I show our new 4 month old filly as a garden crop? We just bought her yesterday.

Here she is with the guy we bought her from.

Here is her father

She is a little sweet heart. Excellent disposistion. I might say something different when I start training her next summer.

Woodrow
06-10-2008, 01:27 AM
The one next to him is the reason we went to that farm. We "rented" the black stallion for stud service of 4 of our mares that are ready for breeding.

MuslimahBarb
06-10-2008, 03:48 AM
I AM JEALOUS OF YOU GUYS.

Can I show our new 4 month old filly as a garden crop? We just bought her yesterday.

Here she is with the guy we bought her from.

Here is her father

She is a little sweet heart. Excellent disposistion. I might say something different when I start training her next summer.
Wa Alaikum Salam

Of course you can!:D She is a gorgeous animal. I hope you will continue sharing photos of her as she grows.

Salaam
Barbara

Tania
06-10-2008, 06:04 AM
She is very beautiful with the white spot in her head and gentle eyes. :) How looks the land where you will keep the horses :?

snakelegs
06-10-2008, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=Woodrow;957236]The one next to him is the reason we went to that farm. We "rented" the black stallion for stud service of 4 of our mares that are ready for breeding.

now that qualifies as gardening in my book! :thumbs_up
you'll have to share your baby pix.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
interesting thread glo

i checked out composting

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...ing/index.html

^ i dont see where the worms come in tho :confused: !

Woodrow
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I just realized I do have a garden this year after all. Even tho I did not have to plant it. A field of wild strawberries that will soon be ready to pick.

The strawberry plants are the little 3 leaf things growing close to the ground.

Güven
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Wait We Have A Garden Too :D

Attachment 3392

This is my front Garden With Flowers and all

Attachment 3393

This is MY beautiful Garden with my beautiful flowers

just kiddin its my neighbours ;D

This is MY garden

: :::
: :::::::::::
: ::::::
: ::

Attachment 3395

LOL Thats a lot of difference with my neighbours ;D

Güven
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Here is one from my back garden

Attachment 3396

There was a LOt more vegetables in there but we ate it ;D

truemuslim
06-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Loool bro guven, i actually thought that was urs in the beginning! looool
urs is so boring.
You know your supposed to PLANT things in it.
OTHER than grass
lol

our garden is sooooooo tinyyy, its like literally 6 x 10!! and HALF of it is leeks which are my parents , while the other half is supposed to be mine, full of strawberries, corn, lettuce, red radish, white radish, and some other stuff...but well...its been liek 4 yrs of me waiting for the lettuce and corn...i guess this is what happens when i dont stand up for 'my' garden when my brother tries to pour lawnmower oil all over it.
the strawberries are rotten, radish is tiny and sick, and corn and lettuce...never came up

I need to hire a gardener!

Güven
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
^^LOOOOL Yeah it looks borin compared to the other gardens in our street
but we were thinkin of removing All the grass and putting stones Like my neighbour did :D

Uthman
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
It's actually quite inspiring to see somebody with a passion for gardening. I really like the idea of growing your own fruit & veg.

Plus, compost heaps are all-important, bearing in mind that as God's creation we have a responsibility to protect the environment!

truemuslim
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
lol guven Don't forget, you supposed to PLANT things in a garden. lol. so add rocks plant something, or steal some of the nieghbors plans and say the storm took it, put it in urs then take real pics.
btw is that seriously you front yard?! where do you park the car?!

I should steal my neighbors plants, that way next time i mow the lawn, i can get paid extra for 'enhancing' it. lol
juss messin

glo
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
interesting thread glo

i checked out composting

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...ing/index.html

^ i dont see where the worms come in tho :confused: !
You will probably find worms in all compost areas ... after all worms love to eat decaying vegetation.

I looked up the difference between a standard compost heap and a wormery, and found this:
A wormery is a special bin which contains worms and when organic matter from a kitchen is added to the bin, the worms digest and break it down into a rich compost.

A compost heap performs the same function as a wormery but it does it on a larger scale and it uses bacteria and micro-fungi to perform the job.
A wormery is usually smaller and more compact. It is also designed to deal with smaller quantities of waste, and generally a wormery produces less odour, which makes it ideal for placing outside the backdoor close to the kitchen. On a domestic scale a Wormery also works faster than a traditional compost heap.
http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co...DIYwormery.asp

glo
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Here is one from my back garden

Attachment 3396

There was a LOt more vegetables in there but we ate it ;D
Are those peppers, Güven?

glo
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Your horses are welcome in this gardening thread, Woodrow.
As are your wild strawberries. :)

glo
06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Are your wild strawberries the same as our alpine strawberries, Woodrow?
The leaves look very similar.
The berries are small, but tend to be stronger in flavour than commercial strawberries.

DSCN3737 1?t1212669184 -

Güven
06-10-2008, 07:14 PM
^^Sis SAFA LOOL Rocks and maybe some Sunflowers( I like sunflowers btw You can eat sunseeds from it :D) and Some other plants LOL My neighbours will notice immediatly If I take one of their plants .

and it is my Front Garden dont you see the Cars at pic 3 LOL :D

Güven
06-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Are those peppers, Güven?
YES WOW How did YOu see That Sis :)

glo
06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, let's just say I know a bit about vegetables ...

The plant in the front corner looks like coriander, or perhaps flat-leaved parsley - but I could be wrong (the lady in the local Muslim grocers always used to laugh at me because I mixed the two up all the time ...)

Clearly I know my vegetables better than my herbs ... :giggling:

Woodrow
06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Are your wild strawberries the same as our alpine strawberries, Woodrow?
The leaves look very similar.
The berries are small, but tend to be stronger in flavour than commercial strawberries.

DSCN3737 1?t1212669184 -
Yes they are basically the same plant. Although the berries are much smaller then the commercial grown ones, they taste many times better.

truemuslim
06-10-2008, 08:29 PM
^^Sis SAFA LOOL Rocks and maybe some Sunflowers( I like sunflowers btw You can eat sunseeds from it :D) and Some other plants LOL My neighbours will notice immediatly If I take one of their plants .

and it is my Front Garden dont you see the Cars at pic 3 LOL :D

Yehh sunflowers are very nice looking, so are different colored roses. Beautifulll!

Oh wow so you have to cross the street to get to the car?? wow.

unless thats all your driveway and you live in some rich mansion? lol

holland. pshh

Güven
06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *SAFA*
Yehh sunflowers are very nice looking, so are different colored roses. Beautifulll!

Oh wow so you have to cross the street to get to the car?? wow.

unless thats all your driveway and you live in some rich mansion? lol

holland. pshh
No you Can park It in front of the house And the way is not So big
Btw Did you say Rich Mansion??? ;D;D Dont let it Fool you ,our neighborhood is One of the most dangerous neighboorhood In our City :D Its Holland Not USA:D

ONtopic: Yeah roses are Very Nice, I like to have such Plants In my garden

Attachment 3398
and
Attachment 3399

a lots of different Kind of flowers Together ThaTs nice

And This

Attachment 3400

Oke This is going To far :D
But Subhanallah How did they do THIS:eek:

glo
06-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Garden update:

Do you remember our rhubarb plant?

DSCN3781 1?t1213358941 -

Today I turned it into this ...

DSCN3782 1?t1213358997 -

...then this ...

DSCN3783 1?t1213359051 -

... and two hours later into this:

DSCN3784 1?t1213359090 -

Jam sandwich, anybody? :D

Malaikah
06-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Cute labels! lol

MustafaMc
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Plus, compost heaps are all-important, bearing in mind that as God's creation we have a responsibility to protect the environment!
Yes, composting is good, but it is also a lot of work. There are cotton gins very near where I live that have huge piles of waste from the ginning operation. The gin separates the lint from the seed and the lint goes through cleaners that remove the leaf trash. The gin trash is a waste product that is usually spread over farms for disposal, but it has an added benefit of adding some nutrients and organic matter back into the soil. I plan to get some of the composted gin trash to use as a mulch around our tomatoes and peppers.

------
06-13-2008, 12:53 PM
:salamext:

How does your garden grow?
With sunlight and plenty of water :D

:-[

*runs away*

glo
06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Cute labels! lol
Yep, I like them too ... although they don't do much for teaching our children correct spelling! :D

Amat Allah
06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
peace my dear sister glo...:statisfie

mashaa Allah you have a great garden there...:statisfie

I`ve had a garden long ago but now I am living with my family in apartmen and there is no garden...:cry:

anyway Alhamdo lellah..

I will show you some pictures for our garden I mean old garden...

I hope you will like them....

the right side of the garden....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/1a8cedf782.jpg

R&F....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/5e5130a367.jpg

Egyptian Jasmine....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/c54423ea7d.jpg

a rose....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/4f11d2500a.jpg

berry....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/1ecc6de2ee.jpg

eggplant....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/a7194735f3.jpg

tomatos....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/c6f1e236ac.jpg

palm tree....
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/6c6991b850.jpg

Ahhhhhh memories.....:rollseyes
peace my dear....:statisfie

truemuslim
06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
^ You can put them in IMG to make it better inshallah :)
see?

glo
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Those flowers are amazing, Amat Allah. Thanks for sharing!

You must miss your garden ... :(

Amat Allah
06-13-2008, 01:47 PM
^ You can put them in IMG to make it better inshallah

see?
http://www.khellan.net/up2/uploads/a7194735f3.jpg
inshaa Allah my dear I will...

Those flowers are amazing, Amat Allah. Thanks for sharing!

You must miss your garden ...

yaaahhh I do my dear I do....Alhamdo lellah

glo
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
It's always a wonderful time of year, when the first summer fruit ripens.
Nothing better than the first raspberry or strawberry of the year, freshly picked from the plant!

Here are our first raspberries:

DSCN3810 1?t1213632200 -

And our strawberries:

DSCN3811 1?t1213632212 -

The gooseberries and white currents are coming on nicely, but they will take a little longer to ripen:

DSCN3815 1?t1213632375 -

DSCN3816 1?t1213632551 -

glo
06-20-2008, 07:03 AM
It has become my routine to walk down the garden path first thing in the morning, usually whilst I am drinking the first cup of coffee of the day.
I put food out on the bird table, pick some fruit to have with our breakfast cereal and look for what's new in the garden.
It is beautiful to see how things have grown, even over night!

I love the peace and calm in the early morning, and it gives me time to reflect, pray, marvel about the wonders of life, and mentally prepare for the day.

May you all have a blessed day! :statisfie

MuslimahBarb
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
It has become my routine to walk down the garden path first thing in the morning, usually whilst I am drinking the first cup of coffee of the day.
I put food out on the bird table, pick some fruit to have with our breakfast cereal and look for what's new in the garden.
It is beautiful to see how things have grown, even over night!

I love the peace and calm in the early morning, and it gives me time to reflect, pray, marvel about the wonders of life, and mentally prepare for the day.

May you all have a blessed day! :statisfie
Isn't wonderful to walk out and see blooms on fruits and veggies or even better fruits or veggies growing on the plants??? BTW we now have blooms on our plants so we will soon have little green beans and lima beans! :D

Salam
Barb

glo
06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree, Barbara.
I enjoy my garden very much, and the produce even more! :statisfie

Here is our pond now, after we have added some plants and a little water fountain.

DSCN3891 1?t1214400487 -

As you can see the water has started to clear.

DSCN3888 1?t1214400539 -

Here is one of snails, which helps keep the water clear:

DSCN3889 1?t1214400581 -

glo
06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Exciting news from the pond. We have a resident frog!!
No idea, where he came from - but there he was this morning:

How cool is that??! :D

Ali.
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
^ That's wicked, glo!

Does your pond contain any small fish? It might try to eat them!

glo
06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
^ That's wicked, glo!

Does your pond contain any small fish? It might try to eat them!
No, we have no fish.
We are hoping for this to become a wildlife pond, rather than an ornamental pond. Although I wouldn't mind a couple of little sticklebacks.

The frog is much smaller than it appears in the picture. Only a couple of inches long, or so.

Ali.
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Cool. You better get some food for it to eat before it hops away again then, if you want it to stay.

glo
06-29-2008, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Cool. You better get some food for it to eat before it hops away again then, if you want it to stay.
I'm afraid he's a wild animal, and he will have to find his own food. I am sure he is quite able to ... :)

Güven
06-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Speaking Of Frogs , Did You Guys Knew That They Could do This :D:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...bhanallah.html

MuslimahBarb
07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Peace Glo,

Your garden pond is coming along very nicely. As for our garden, I am about to go out and snap a few photos of it and post them here. We have eaten some of the collard greens that we have in the garden and will soon have yellow summer squash to eat. :D

Salam
Barb

MustafaMc
07-08-2008, 03:17 AM
I plan to get some of the composted gin trash to use as a mulch around our tomatoes and peppers.
BTW I did put gin trash around our tomatoes and peppers, but unfortunately, it killed most of them.:cry: Apparently, it had not finished breaking down and "went through a heat". This past weekend, I brought a Compost Tumbler from my sister's house that she was not using. Insha'Allah we will use it to finish composting the gin trash and our grass clippings.

Eeman
07-08-2008, 03:43 AM
Wow sister glow...
it seems a lot of hard work has been put into that...
wow! im amazed!

i love all the greenery :o(
unfortunately our garden has no greenery! whats the point of having a garden with nothing green in it.
i call it the suana cos its made out of contemporary wood apparently (according to my parents since it was designed by them) since when does wood become contemporary????????

i think i have been too polite and let them take over my garden i will change some things aeound this summer Insha'Allah and whenever they visit i'll blame the change on damage caused by strong winds or something :o$

Eeman
07-08-2008, 03:45 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!!!
:enough!::enough!::enough!::enough!:
actually on seeing that i think i'll stick to my non green garden.

Tornado
07-08-2008, 03:48 AM

That is awesome. :)

Eeman
07-08-2008, 03:51 AM
sister glo are you vegetations and fruits organic?

MuslimahBarb
07-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Here is the latest photo of our veggie garden. A couple nights ago we had summer squash and green beans for dinner, Insha 'Allah tomorrow I will be blanching and freezing squash.

A photo Mustafa took of our garden last weekend

*Behna*
07-11-2008, 05:04 AM

MashaAllaah, awesome garden, I love gardening:thumbs_up but by the gardner, not by myself..:X

:w:

Here is the latest photo of our veggie garden. A couple nights ago we had summer squash and green beans for dinner, Insha 'Allah tomorrow I will be blanching and freezing squash.

A photo Mustafa took of our garden last weekend

*Behna*
07-11-2008, 05:08 AM
glo your garden is nice too, and it seems that the frog is having a good time in the hot summer...

glo
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!!!
:enough!::enough!::enough!::enough!:
actually on seeing that i think i'll stick to my non green garden.
Oh, Eeman, the frog is beautiful, really! :D
Such a delicate, fragile creature.

I haven't caught it or touched it - but I like to look at it.
How wonderful God's creation is! :statisfie

glo
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Barbara and Mustafa, your garden looks wonderful!
Isn't it a joy to eat your own grown vegetables?

The last week here in the UK was very wet and rainy, but not too cold - perfect weather for the courgettes, cucumbers and tomatoes, but also the soft fruit.

The raspberries are coming to their end now; we've had the first runner beans; and we are still waiting for the tomatoes to ripen ...

We had a lovely gooseberry tart last weekend, and there are enough gooseberries left for more ... :)

glo
07-12-2008, 12:41 PM
This is a photo of a courgette flower. Isn't it beautiful?
The flowers are edible and can be stuffed - but they don't stay open for long.
This one is already starting to close now, only a few hours after I took the picture.

DSCN41791 1?t1215866389 -

MustafaMc
07-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Glo, what is a courgette? The plant looks similar to a squash.

glo
07-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I believe you call it zucchini in the US, Mustafa (as indeed we do in Germany).

And yes, it is related to squashes, marrows and pumpkins.
You can tell by the flower and the leaves, can't you?

MustafaMc
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I believe you call it zucchini in the US, Mustafa (as indeed we do in Germany).

And yes, it is related to squashes, marrows and pumpkins.
You can tell by the flower and the leaves, can't you?
Yes, we have grown zucchini before, but I prefer the flavor of plain old yellow squash. We planted seed that I saved from a hybrid squash shaped like a lemon. I noticed that one plant has saucer type fruit that was apparently from an outcross last year. As a plant breeder, I thought that I could select for a new type of squash that was not hybrid because with hybrids you have to buy new seed each year.

glo
07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I have never really tried growing squashes, Mustafa.
I wonder if they need a little more warmth than the British climate can guarantee them.

Personally, I love butternut squashes. Have you grown them?

I like the idea of using the seed of one fruit in the next growing season.
Surely that's what people used to do in the past.

MustafaMc
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, we have Butternut squash growing as well as Acorn and Delicata winter squashes. I too like Butternut squash split and baked with cinnamon and butter. It tastes like sweet potatoes that you probably don't have in England. Actually, we have 2 different varieties of sweet potato growing in our garden. Barbara and I really enjoy gardening, last evening we picked 8 pounds of green beans and 11 pounds of squash the day before that. Allah's blessings are surely immense.

Tania
08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
A new site dedicated for gardening has just opened and we are more welcome to join it :statisfie:
http://www.muslimgrower.com

glo
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I had a peep, Tania, and noticed Dawud_uk's name.
Will you please give my regards to him and his family. That would be very nice! :)

Thank you

glo
08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
We have had a lot of rain in the last coupld of weeks ... and everything in the garden is growing beautifully!

Here are a few pictures I took today:

DSCN4778 1?t1218722001 -

DSCN4779 1?t1218722030 -

DSCN4781 1?t1218722075 -

DSCN4780 1?t1218722112 -

Tania
08-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I had a peep, Tania, and noticed Dawud_uk's name.
Will you please give my regards to him and his family. That would be very nice! :)

Thank you
I sent him :)
You will have many tomatoes and cucumbers :) I have only one tomato plant without flowers :hmm:

glo
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Tania :)

glo
08-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Having been away for a week, two of our courgettes have grown into enormous marrows! :D

We will have one this evening - stuffed with minced beef.
The other one I gave to our neighbours.

MustafaMc
08-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Our garden has done about all it could do.

Lima beans did pretty well with the Persian climbing bean yielding the best and the Thorogreen bush bean having the best flavor.

Green beans that you snap the pod into 3cm segments did well with the Contenders having the best yield.

Cucumbers did OK, but I need to provide better support for the vines to climb on.

Cowpeas did not yield much at all. I think the soil amendments and watering contributed to excessive plant growth. The Holstein yielded well last year.

Okra yielded well after only growing stalk for a long time. The Louisiana Short and Blondie were the best yielders.

Sweet corn (Kandy Korn hybrid) yielded well, but some ears seemed to be diseased. I left the F2 plants unharvested that were planted from last year's seed. I am trying to select an open pollinated type that I can save seed indefinitely.

Squash yielded very well with Gentry and Horn of Plenty hybrids out performing the Lemon from saved seed.

Cantelopes did very well with Athena being the best tasting.

Tomatoes, watermelons, sweet potatoes and peanuts have not been harvested yet.

There is nothing like eating vegetables and fruit from your own garden. Allah is so generous to us in our bountiful sustenance. With Ramadan approaching we will better appreciate that there are many people in this world who are not so fortunate in food supply.

glo
08-24-2008, 07:28 AM
That sounds wonderful!
You seem to have a short growing season, Mustafa.

Providing the weather remains fairly warm we still have another month or so of growing and ripening.
The tomatoes and cucumbers have only really just started in the last fortnight or so.
The lettuce (second batch of sowing) and cabbages are still growing.

MustafaMc
08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
No, Glo, we actually have a long growing season as it stays quite warm through October. Most of the plants have matured though and aren't producing much any more.

glo
08-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Given your location I did expect your growing season to be longer than ours, Mustafa.

Our main growing season is May to late September - although there are of course plants which will grow and produce outside that time span.

MustafaMc
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Another thing is that we received very little rain in June and July that curtailed plant growth. For the past couple of weeks, we have been getting a lot of rain and there is a hurricane expected to bring even more. We have gotten more regrowth lately.

Our soil is a heavy clay and when it is dry the soil shrinks and forms cracks. There are times when I could shove my fist down the cracks in our lawn. We had quit furrow watering the garden because the cracks consumed too much water. I have gotten a drip irrigation system, but have yet to install it. God willing, I will have it installed before next growing season.

Danah
08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh a garden thread :D, how come I miss it??:?

well, Our garden is not that great due to our boiling sun, so the majority of the trees are palms and palms and palms..........

btw glo it looks like you are a super professional in gardening, I might need your experiment in the future

Okay our garden is divded, one outside and the other is inside

btw, I took those pictures on a rainy day

this is from the out side with a part of our neighbor's garden :D

this inside the courtyard

Danah
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Our Yammy dates.......
:D

the inner trees

soorry the size is too big

glo
08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I have seen those fruit (Yammies?) in our local Muslim shop.
How do you eat them, SAYA? Do they need cooking?
I'd love to try them.

Funny how they are hanging is those little net bags. Are they to protect them from birds or other animals?

Güven
08-24-2008, 08:52 PM
OOh Ive Eat Those , ....And I didnt Like Them

Danah
08-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I have seen those fruit (Yammies?) in our local Muslim shop.
How do you eat them, SAYA? Do they need cooking?
I'd love to try them.

Funny how they are hanging is those little net bags. Are they to protect them from birds or other animals?
Yeah they for protection from birds and worms
oh you dont need to cook them, its sweet fruit you can eat them directly after washing them
you have to try them but try to find some sweet kinds, because there are some not that sweet to eat

OOh Ive Eat Those , ....And I didnt Like Them
Oh !!! How come !?!:?
someone eat dates and dont like them, brother you must eat those kind that I told glo about, our dates are verrrrrry sweet, I wish I can send each LI member a bag of date.......it is the season of growing them:)

Güven
08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
Yeah they for protection from birds and worms
oh you dont need to cook them, its sweet fruit you can eat them directly after washing them
you have to try them but try to find some sweet kinds, because there are some not that sweet to eat
ohh Thats Why I didnt Like Them +o(

Danah
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah I guessed that,
for some kind you eat you would feel like there is something very dry in your mouth and you need to drink water. You have to chose the right kind to grow.
Alhumdulilah my father is a fan of palm growing, so he is in charge of gardening ^_^

Güven
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
^Thats EXACTLY what Happened With Me loool
Thanks For The Info :D

Danah
08-24-2008, 09:51 PM
lol....for those that you eat, they are either raw and not mature or they are some bad kinds not very tasty

glo
09-25-2008, 02:37 PM
The growing season is slowly coming to an end.
Today was a day for making more jam, this time blackberry:

On the bush ...

... picked ...

... and finally in the jar. Yum! Enough for six jars altogether.

truemuslim
09-26-2008, 05:50 PM
^ aww homemade jam with handpicked fruits! I wanna visit ur home glo!!

glo
10-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Our growing season is pretty much finished now, and it's been fun sharing it with you ...

... perhaps I can hand over to people from the Southern Hemisphere to share their growing gardens with us over the next 6 months?
:)

Danah
10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
[B]Our growing season is pretty much finished now, and it's been fun sharing it with you ...
same here :cry:
dates season is finished, but I would really like you to taste the fresh dates....its very Yummy

its verrry sweet :statisfie

not this dried one that u can find anywhere in supermarkets

but this one fresh one.............:thumbs_up

I can guarantee that you will never stop eating it :)

Mawaddah
10-04-2008, 12:57 PM
The growing season is slowly coming to an end.
Today was a day for making more jam, this time blackberry:

On the bush ...

... picked ...

... and finally in the jar. Yum! Enough for six jars altogether.

How beautiful glo! this is exactly what I had in mind when I purchased my blackberry and blueberry seeds from eBay a few weeks back. I dream of making jam like this! I was even tempted to buy strawberry seeds to experiment with growing them in the fridge:-[ My father vehemently opposed to that...naturally:exhausted

I wonder if they will grow in Malaysia though? If I am not mistaken it's Zone 3 over here.....will they grow glo? It's so ridiculously expensive in the stores! And then they taste just like straw or something.

Oh, and a few weeks back I grew some roselle seeds, a lovely lady whom I do not even know sent them to me after I commented on a blogpost of hers masha'allah. I planted 5 seeds, and 2 came up, but one wilted and died and the other one seems to be growing happily alhamdulillah! I speak to it everyday so it knows how much I place my hope on it....they do say that loving speech to a plant helps it grow...:statisfie

Mawaddah
10-04-2008, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA

same here :cry:
dates season is finished, but I would really like you to taste the fresh dates....its very Yummy

its verrry sweet :statisfie

not this dried one that u can find anywhere in supermarkets

I can guarantee that you will never stop eating it :)
SAYA, whilst living in Egypt my father would by fresh dates often! we would wash off the skin and have it with fresh milk which the milkman would bring by in the mornings........ I love it!!

In Yemen though the village girls used to sell some sort of date, it was dried and very very hard. I dont know whether they baked it or dried it?:? but it was very hard and chewy...and so sweet!! I used to love it as a snack and so did my family. Do you know what I am talking about sis?

Mawaddah
10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
^ Date jam? I make date chutney ... that sounds more edible lol...Date jam! would probably rot the teeth....

Mawaddah
10-05-2008, 10:58 AM
lol actually I got the recipe for the chutney off an indian recipe website. Malaysians don't really go for chutneys...They are more into achars and pickles and stuff.I put some tamarind,palm sugar,cumin (whole) fresh hot chillies and other good stuff.

Al-Zaara
10-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Oooh glo, how I envy you! imsad I adore blackberries, ooooh! Nami nami. :D

Your ones look really good!

Danah
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
SAYA, whilst living in Egypt my father would by fresh dates often! we would wash off the skin and have it with fresh milk which the milkman would bring by in the mornings........ I love it!!

In Yemen though the village girls used to sell some sort of date, it was dried and very very hard. I dont know whether they baked it or dried it?:? but it was very hard and chewy...and so sweet!! I used to love it as a snack and so did my family. Do you know what I am talking about sis?
yup I know :)

I dont like the dried ones....they are hard and so sweet that you feel full quickly :blind:
the fresh ones are so great that you dont wanna stop eating:statisfie

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
Has anybody ever made date jam? Is that even possible? Sounds like a good idea to me. :X
yeah you can make date jam I guess....... here they extract honey from the date, can u imagine this......its sooo sweet and they call it (Dibs)

here it is

chacha_jalebi
10-05-2008, 05:19 PM
elo ello glo sister

do you sell the jam?? erm erm any freebies like try before you buy with the berries :embarrass

Periwinkle18
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
my mom makes date chutney its so yummy and easy to make.

Güven
10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Blackberries

Did you know blackberries have useful healing properties? Of course they’re loaded in antioxidants and vitamins, but the leaves and roots have value, too. Native Americans have long used the stems and leaves for healing, while enjoying the young shoots peeled as a vegetable of sorts and the berries, either raw or in jams. The leaves and root can be used as an effective treatment against dysentery and diarrhea as well as serving usefulness as an anti-inflammatory and astringent. Ideal for treating cuts and inflammation in the mouth.

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...al-plants.html

Srry I had to say this :-[ and promote my thread :D

Woodrow
10-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I do believe our garden season is over. We got back home to Minnesota yesterday. This is what it looks like outside at this moment. Needless to say I am not going out to look for the garden:

The snow just started. Although the temperature has not dropped much the wind is fierce. Current constant wind is 42 miles per hour with gusts over 60.

truemuslim
10-30-2008, 06:07 PM
^ :eek: nd i thought WE had alot of snow!!

poor gardens. the baeutiful "roses" (dandelions:p ) have all died imsad

glo
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
The new growing season is about to start.

Sadly Mustafa (one of our keenest vegetable growers here in LI) doesn't post here anymore.
Is anybody else interested in resurrecting our garden thread?

Peace

MuslimahBarb
04-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I would like to continue sharing photos of our garden with everyone here. Over the course of the last few days we have got our garden planted for the most part, with the exception of the butternut winter squash, carrots and lettuce. :statisfie

Vito
04-21-2009, 03:21 AM
The new growing season is about to start.

Sadly Mustafa (one of our keenest vegetable growers here in LI) doesn't post here anymore.
Is anybody else interested in resurrecting our garden thread?

Peace
Just saw this thread but, I will take pics of what my parents have grown so far later this week. Looks like you have a lot in common with my parents because they love to do this stuff and they even have a compost pile as well :D(no worms though). You got yourself a nice little setup and also some very beautiful pics. :thumbs_up

Saya, I'm lovin the dates as well. Too bad they are so expensive over here, or at least the ones that taste good are.

glo
04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
MuslimahBarb (Nice to see you, sis :)) and Kai, I look forward to your contributions.

Let's get growing!

sister herb
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Me too has a small garden here and a bigger on my cottage in country side. Here is still some snow on the ground but maybe I will start growing too after some weeks.

:bump1:

MuslimahBarb
04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Salaam

I will get some photos taken of our newly planted garden today, inshaAllah. So far the only plants visible will be the tomatoes but, it will be fun to see the garden progress from bare plantless rows, to the point they are producing veggies.:)

glo
04-22-2009, 06:09 AM
We have no plants yet either, Barb.
Only a few minute seedlings in the coldframe.

You are right, it would be fun to take successive pictures. Perhaps I will start when I come back from work this afternoon ...

glo
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Happy growing season, all! :)

There is not much to see in our garden so far, but here are a couple of things to keep our eyes on:

The peas, which I have sown in our old kitchen sink (That little seedling is almost certainly not a pea, but I am giving it a chance to show me what it really is):

And these pots made from recycled newspaper, in which I have sown cucumbers, courgettes and runner beans:

This is our cloche, which keeps the soil warm during the still chilly nights;

And these are the corinader seedlings:

-S-
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
this year i planting melons, cucumber, raddish, tomatoes!

glo
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
The first seedlings are emerging from the ground.
Does anybody want to guess what they are?

MO783
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
grows wild

Güven
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice Garden glo !!

I'll show you mine , It's already growing fast MashaAllah :D

Guess what these are :D

Aubergine :thumbs_up

Blue grapes.:statisfie

I have no idea what these are :-[

Some Flowers :statisfie

I forgot the name of this one :X

I love this one , the colours are beautiful :statisfie

GreyKode
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
WOW, glo and Guven, very beautiful gardens.
Mashallah, youre both lucky.

alcurad
04-29-2009, 03:16 PM
cool :)

glo
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Those pictures are great, Güven! I hope it was you who did all the digging in your garden! :D

I like the look of that aubergine plant. Is it warm enough where you live to grow aubergines outdoors?

I get quite excited watching the first seedlings emerging from the ground.
Do you remember the seedpots, which I had made from recycled newspaper?
Here they are on day 1 - the day I sowed the seeds:

Here they are again, on day 6. If you look closely you can see that the first green shoots are emerging:

And here, only 4 days later, on day 10. Just look how they have grown! (From left to right there is a row of courgettes/zucchini, one empty row (was supposed to be squashes, but they have not emerged yet), 4 rows of runner beans and one row of cucumbers)

DSCN6174?t1241024390 -

Güven
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Those pictures are great, Güven! I hope it was you who did all the digging in your garden! :D

I like the look of that aubergine plant. Is it warm enough where you live to grow aubergines outdoors?

Thanks, Glo and....No , my mom did it :exhausted

yep , It's not cold and It's also raining here and there.
so It's perfectly fine.....I think

wow Nicely done ! It grows really fast isn't it ?

glo
04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Glo and....No , my mom did it :exhausted
Ha, I might have guessed! Make sure you bring her cold drinks and offer to cook dinner for her! :D

yep , It's not cold and It's also raining here and there.
so It's perfectly fine.....I think
Send more pics, when you get fruit on them.

wow Nicely done ! It grows really fast isn't it ?
Just between you and me (don't tell anybody else!), once the seedlings started to emerge I took pictures of them every 24 hours - but I thought it would be too much to post them all ... and people would realise what a sad person I really am! :D

crayon
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Ooh mashaAllah, this thread makes me want a garden! Lovely pictures everyone, it must be so nice to see things actually grow after putting all your effort into tending to them.

Güven
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Ha, I might have guessed! Make sure you bring her cold drinks and offer to cook dinner for her! :D
Ofcourse , but I don't think she will mind though , She loves to work on the garden. :thumbs_up

Send more pics, when you get fruit on them.
I will , God willing :D

Just between you and me (don't tell anybody else!), once the seedlings started to emerge I took pictures of them every 24 hours - but I thought it would be too much to post them all ... and people would realise what a sad person I really am! :D
lol haha but It's always interesting to see the plants grow.

and It's only once a year! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Ooh mashaAllah, this thread makes me want a garden! Lovely pictures everyone, it must be so nice to see things actually grow after putting all your effort into tending to them.
Can't you grow a garden in the Middle East ? or is it too warm and not enough rain to make that happen?

Yanal
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
MashAllah beautiful gardens. Sadly I don't have a backyard and/or the right kind of soil.

alcurad
04-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Can't you grow a garden in the Middle East ? or is it too warm and not enough rain to make that happen?
:rollseyes

Güven
04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
:rollseyes
Don't tell me you guys have no gardens there :X

nebula
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
ill post a picture of my garden 2moro, its gone wild

Musaafirah
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Guven, are the green leaves spinach?
My parents are keen gardeners, they're revamping the front garden with flowers, that'll bloom at different times. I've posted some pictures in the JolieFleur thread.
In the back garden, they've dedicated a section to grow their beloved marrow or pumpkin I think it is. (Law in Bengali), as well as some baby apple trees, cherry and pear trees and rhubarb, etc etc...

Güven
04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
Guven, are the green leaves spinach?
No Idea , I was thinking the same.

Musaafirah
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
No Idea , I was thinking the same.
Hmm...They must be. We used to grow them too.
You know the pink honeysuckle flower things that you've got growing all organised and all?
We've got them helter skelter in our garden. Though they're dying now!

crayon
04-30-2009, 06:15 AM
It is possible, just more difficult than it would be in a place with a better environment.. Plus, if you live in a building, you've got no yard or anything.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
okay, i need some help with planting carnations. is it really that necessary to plant it in something, wait for it to shoot, then move it to the actual pot that you permenatley leave it in. i mean, cant you just plant them in the pot without all that extra hassle or would they die...

glo
05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Ready for some more garden pictures?

Here are forget-me-nots. (Love the name!)

I love calendulas because of their vibrant colour:

The early strawberries are starting to flower:

Can you guess what used to be is this barrel, before hubby converted it into a strawberry container?

CLUE:
It was

..T
...GO
....NEY

:D:D

crayon
05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
^Mango Chutney?? But what would one do with that much mango chutney?...:><: edit-Ahh i'm always posting too late! For the record, I guess it was mango chutney too, befooore I read that Alpha said it too. Just sayin'.:><:

Glo, I looove forget me nots, especially their name!
I'd have to say that my favorite flowers are daisies, though.. So simple, so beautiful. Not the ugly kind of daisy though.. This kind:

glo
05-01-2009, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Nice pics. The calendulas looks really beautiful.

Was it "Hot Mango Chutney"? :X
Yes it was. From our local Indian restaurant.

First prize goes to Alpha! :D

glo
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Daisies are very pretty, crayon. I like them too. :)

Forced_In
05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Ready for some more garden pictures?

Here are forget-me-nots. (Love the name!)
Salaam

interesting name ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forget_me_not

Please read " Organizations" bit.

glo
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
The weather is beautiful, and the chances of ground frost are getting quite slim ... so it is time to plant those baby runner beans out.
Good luck, you little guys! :D
(They won't be little for very long. If they thrive they will reach the tops of the bamboo poles and beyond!)

Grofica
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
you have the most GEORGOUS garden... i mean really wow!!!!!!!!!

and then i came to the worm pictures....... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i will book mark this page as best pic to stay on diet.... he he he he he he (joke)

glo
05-02-2009, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
and then i came to the worm pictures....... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
You don't mean this one, do you?? :D

i will book mark this page as best pic to stay on diet.... he he he he he he (joke)
Great idea!

Print it off and stick it on the fridge door!! +o(

Grofica
05-02-2009, 01:29 PM
yes that is the pic i ment....

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww i will so never eat again....

ok thats a lie.... i have a confession (i am addicted to food)

he he he he he....

i love your garden and i would think about doing something like that but wow i would scream the first time i saw worms...

i dont like bugs. or lizards, or spiders, or or or....

a couple of my gal friends at work laugh at me because all the bugs always seem to chase me...

and i cry.... (he he he im just playing... they do tease me but i dont really cry...)

Vito
05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow I completely forgot about this thread. I'll go out and take some quick pics. :blind:

glo
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Ready for some more garden pics?

The lettuces are starting to grow bigger. Not long until we can pick the first few leaves.

The peas are still little, but are starting to stretch their little tendrils out. Hopefully they will take off soon. :)

The tomato plants are having their very first flower!

glo
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I am hoping that all these will turn into strawberries! :playing:

sister herb
05-16-2009, 08:56 AM

today I have everything;

pots

seeds

earth

and sunny day.

:D My garden loves me today!

glo
05-21-2009, 11:29 AM
The peas have started to take off.

What I love most is how they cling on with their little tendrils. :)

glo
05-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Salaam

I will get some photos taken of our newly planted garden today, inshaAllah. So far the only plants visible will be the tomatoes but, it will be fun to see the garden progress from bare plantless rows, to the point they are producing veggies.:)
How is your garden doing, Barb? :)

MuslimahBarb
05-24-2009, 03:50 AM
How is your garden doing, Barb? :)

Peace Glo

Thanks for asking about our garden. It is doing well alhamdulillah. We got it planted about a month ago. I would have been earlier but, we have gotten alot of rain this spring. We have 15 different varieties of tomatoes, sweet peppers and banana peppers, lima beans, green beans, cowpeas, cucumbers, summer and winter squash, cantelope, watermelon, sweet corn, peanuts, potatoes & okra. We also have herbs planted(basil & oregano) as well as garlic. We currently have some tomatoes on the plants that are about the size of grapes and have alot of blooms on the tomato plants. Our blackberry bushes are loaded with blackberries so I will be making jam soon, insha'Allah. :) We have already gotten to eat a few blackberries and they were quite tastey.

Thank you for sharing the photos of your garden. It is looking very nice.

Here is a photo that was taken last weekend of our garden.

MuslimahBarb
05-24-2009, 04:13 AM
I also wanted to share a photo of one of our floribunda roses.

glo
05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Your garden looks fantatic!
I envy you your long growing season, Barbara.
Things are only just taking off here in this part of the world.

We have had a lot of rain in the last couple of weeks (which was much needed, as spring has been fairly dry so far)
Now it is really starting to get very sunny and warm, and the plants are loving it! :)

MuslimahBarb
05-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Your garden looks fantatic!
I envy you your long growing season, Barbara.
Things are only just taking off here in this part of the world.

We have had a lot of rain in the last couple of weeks (which was much needed, as spring has been fairly dry so far)
Now it is really starting to get very sunny and warm, and the plants are loving it! :)
Peace Glo

The mention of rain makes me think of some of the ayahs of one the surahs that Mustafa said this morning when we did our Fajr salat together. It is from Surat An-Naba(78) ayah 6 and especially ayats 14-16.

6-Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse

14-16 And sent dow from the rainy clouds abundant water, so that We my bring forth grain and plants, And gardens thick with foliage.

On the subject of rain, you can see in the photo that there is water standing in some of the rows. We have gotten so much rain this spring and our garden is benefiting from it, mashaAllah.

Woodrow
05-24-2009, 01:55 PM
I especially appreciate this thread this year. i am not having the time to do any planting this year, so I will take advantage of enjoying your garden.

glo
05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I especially appreciate this thread this year. i am not having the time to do any planting this year, so I will take advantage of enjoying your garden.
You are welcome to share our garden with us, Woodrow.
Take a seat, put up your feet and have a cold lemonade.

:)

Yanal
05-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I have like a narrow strip of a garden which is now covered in rocks I will also chill with Grandpa Woody! But I will play Harvest Moon for DS where you are a farmer...

glo
05-24-2009, 02:47 PM
^
I once played my daughter's Harvest Moon for an entire night!! :-[
(She still tells me off for it to this day ...)

Yanal
05-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow! Thats call an addict! I only play time to time..

glo
05-24-2009, 02:59 PM
This is how plants have grown in the last month:

Peas:

24.April

7.May

21.May

glo
05-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Lettuce:

24.April

11.May

24.May

glo
05-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Our soft fruit are growing nicely, but are still a looong way from ripening.

Raspberries:

Gooseberries:

Strawberries:

glo
05-24-2009, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jr
Wow! Thats call an addict! I only play time to time..
I bet you do that because your mum tells you not to play for too long!
(I didn't have anybody to tell me that ... :-[)

Faith.
05-24-2009, 03:08 PM
After seeing these cool pics, I think I might just take up gardening InshaAllah..:smile:
But I detest Bugs:X:skeleton:.

glo
05-24-2009, 03:10 PM
^
You can't really avoid bugs in the garden, sister.

Just remember that they too are part of God's creation.
And from a gardener's perspective, some of them are very useful and beneficial! :)

Faith.
05-24-2009, 03:17 PM
^
You can't really avoid bugs in the garden, sister.

Just remember that they too are part of God's creation.
And from a gardener's perspective, some of them are very useful and beneficial! :)
Yeah I know. Some are quite cool. But I just have this weird thing, to run whenever I see one. Think It's from all the scary movie's I watched when I was younger.
and when you put it like that I feel like an idiot:X

Woodrow
05-24-2009, 05:33 PM
A good healthy garden will have bugs. Bugs like good healthy food too. Stop and think the next time you see a bugless garden:

"What is wrong with those veggies if even bugs refuse to eat them?"

glo
05-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Some bugs, however, are a real nuisance!

In our Victorian garden surrounded by brick walls slugs and snails seem to live by the thousands. And they love our little seedlings! :raging:

But nature has been kind to us this spring. The last winter was colder and harsher than the winters we've had in previous years, and the numbers of slugs and snails are noticably reduced.
(I could almost feel sorry for them ... but not quite! :D)

glo
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
We had the first of our own lettuce with our evening meal.
Knowing that we eat what we have grown with our own labour and God's will is always a great feeling! :)

Woodrow
05-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Hooray, we may have a garden after all. We just bought some of these things. Well it will be a vegetagle by this summer Inshallah. We figure with all of our traveling we could put a few of these in the windows and take them with us the numerous times we are living in the motorhome.

glo
05-25-2009, 03:18 PM
That looks neat, Woodrow!
Does it stay in its bag? :?

glo
05-25-2009, 03:24 PM
That reminds me of the mushroom plugs (for Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms), which I bought hubby for his birthday.

We needed some freshly cut logs, drilled holes into them, stuck the plugs containing mushroom spores into them ... and hopefully in a few months time we'll have this:

and this:

(I'll let you know ...)

Woodrow
05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
That looks neat, Woodrow!
Does it stay in its bag? :?
We haven't put the plants in them yet. What you do is stick the plant upside down in the bag so the plant pokes out of the hole in the bottom then fill the bag with soil.

We are going to use tomatoes but make pomatoes. tomatoes and potatoes are so closely related you can plant the tomato in a hole in a potato and you get the top as tomato and the roots as potato when the tomato dies you dig out the fresh potatoes.

جوري
05-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Peace Glo

The mention of rain makes me think of some of the ayahs of one the surahs that Mustafa said this morning when we did our Fajr salat together. It is from Surat An-Naba(78) ayah 6 and especially ayats 14-16.

6-Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse

14-16 And sent dow from the rainy clouds abundant water, so that We my bring forth grain and plants, And gardens thick with foliage.

On the subject of rain, you can see in the photo that there is water standing in some of the rows. We have gotten so much rain this spring and our garden is benefiting from it, mashaAllah.

Masha'Allah sister.
and how incredibly true.. the most pertinent thing I have read thus far on this thread, indeed, what a blessing from Allah swt..

May Allah continue to bless you and yours, and through his blessings make you an instrument for his good work on this earth and grant you paradise's high meed in the hereafter as he rewards the righteous in both ..

I just love your garden...

ameen

sister herb
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Heeeeeeeee!!! I miss to hear news from your gardens. Are you all too busy with them that no time to post any news or pictures?

:hmm:

glo
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
^
Sorry, sister harb. We've had a lot of rain recently, so garden news wouldn't have been much fun! :)

The very first raspberries and strawberries are starting to ripen. The problem is, our 12-year-old is the one to get up and have hs breakfast first ... so if we are not careful he has picked the berries and put them in his own breafast cereal ...! :uuh:

Yanal
06-11-2009, 05:45 PM
My little garden is swelled with the sun...:(

Zahida
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
:sl: Glo........... I love you and your garden!!!!!!!!!!! Wow mashaAllah.....

I love my garden too and have passion fruit figs and all sorts i would love to take pictures and share them with you...........but i can never get them on i tried sending some before................

You are a lady of great tast and a lady after my own heart..............:w::)

sister herb
06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
The problem is, our 12-year-old is the one to get up and have hs breakfast first ... so if we are not careful he has picked the berries and put them in his own breafast cereal ...! :uuh:

Tell my greetings to your 12-year-old. Have a nice breakfasts to him.

And thanks to others too about news of gardens.

In my little garden the first "midsummer roses" are soon open...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.