/* */

PDA

View Full Version : GGambian president threatens to behead people

ozdload
05-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Gambian president threatens to behead gays - Yesterday, 01:20 PM

anyone care to comment

Gambian president threatens to behead gays Gambian president threatens to behead gays May 23, 2008 - 10:08AM

Eccentric Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has threatened to behead gays unless they leave the country, according to reports.

"The Gambia is a country of believers ... sinful and immoral practices [such] as homosexuality will not be tolerated in this country," the president told a crowd at a political rally on May 15, local journalists said on Thursday.

He went on to say he would "cut off the head" of any gay person caught in Gambia.

The anti-gay campaign continued in the Gambian pro-government media this week with the Daily Observer publishing a virulent editorial.

"We have said it before and we will say it again. This is a Muslim and Christian country. Both the Koran and the holy Bible condemn homosexuality - pure and simple," the paper wrote on Monday.

British gay rights group Outrage today said the Gambian leader's comments came as no surprise.

"Jammeh has a long history of homophobia," spokesman Peter Tatchell said.

"If he tries to carry out these threats, international aid donors are likely to withdraw their support, and foreign tourists will stay away in droves, thereby damaging the Gambian economy," he added.

The tourism industry is vital to Gambia's economy as the West African nation lacks other natural resources.

Jammeh drew condemnation from African AIDS groups after he claimed in January to have found a "miracle" treatment for HIV/AIDS.

The method was based on medicinal plants and a Koranic verse. All participants were ordered to give up their antiretroviral drugs.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
erm all i can say is lol

aadil77
05-23-2008, 09:21 PM
"If he tries to carry out these threats, international aid donors are likely to withdraw their support, and foreign tourists will stay away in droves, thereby damaging the Gambian economy," he added.
I doubt a few foreign homesexual tourists will damage the economy, unless they're are that many in number, but those sort of comments would frighten off other tourists

جوري
05-24-2008, 02:28 AM
gays are always outraged.. they should take their thongs, rainbows and parades where they aren't under a threat to lose their head?..

Homosexuality should stay in the homos bedroom, don't see how folks can know they are homosexuals unless they were being lewed in public overtly displaying homosexual acts ..frankly they then deserve what they are getting.. I'd feel the same disapproval over heteros being sexual in public.. don't reduce yourself to a sexual act and then protest when people aren't expressing approval over your depravity.
that is my 'care to comment'.. and no I am not interested in an opposing view.. I applaud the Gambian president for voicing what most people are too cowerdly to convey!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-24-2008, 02:37 AM
:sl:

Ehhh maybe cutting heads isn't a good idea, but I wouldn't ever support gays...nope lol.

Souljette
05-24-2008, 08:15 AM
I go with what Sis Skye Ephemerine said

Air Jordan
05-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Let me see if I can make a post without getting reported to the mods. :)

GGambia is a resort destination for gays? :? Why in the world would anyone want to vacation in GGambia? I can sort of see the former English colony thing, but still. Maybe all the Iranian gays moved to GGambia. We were told by Amhendinajad they "don't have that element there". In any event, the GGambian President is right, the odd beheading or two would certainly put a dent in the tourist trade.

Flamboyant or overt behavior in a conservative society is not going to be accepted by the locals just as it would not be accepted in Kansas. Whining about it from England is not going to do anything, either.

On the bigger question of what to do about gays...I agree with the general sentiment. Let's rid ourselves of the miscreants. Let's get rid of those people with extra chromosomes too, always giggling inappropriately. And stutterers too. All in the interest of a more perfect society, of course.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Ehh homosexual behavior has more problems than inappropriate "giggles." I don't see anything good about behavior that can just as well cause diseases. Nope, sorry.

Trumble
05-25-2008, 07:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
I applaud the Gambian president for voicing what most people are too cowerdly to convey!
I suppose it depends on where you are but generally "most people" these days are "brave" enough not be mindless homophobes. Even where they aren't I would have thought "cutting off their heads" would be seen as something of an over-reaction! I'm afraid the religious excuse doesn't cut it for me - a bigot is a bigot and the Gambian President certainly fits the description.

جوري
05-25-2008, 03:08 PM
^^ actually since you haven't met with most people. I suggest you not speak on all of their behalf.. If we are going to go by stats of religion alone then frankly that way outnumbers the few ever 'self-regulating' 'none-bigots' such as your person...

What you think of the Gambian president and those still left recognizing homosexuality as an act of sexual deviance and depravity is inconsequential.. as is usually the case with opinions.. thoughts are not laws and I understand your need to have them.. I suppose as big a need as to share with your young ones why it is ok for a man to get bent with another in public!...

cheers

Tania
05-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Yesterday we had the gay parade :-[ After the parade each participant changed his/her clothes and went quite at home. According to the police they didn't want to draw attention on them ( after the parade) and they are not showing in public their sexual orientation. I doubt in Gambia the gays will shout in the street what they are.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Ehh, they do it here in the US...not shout that their gay but they sure express it clearly...

جوري
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't see how anyone can know you are gay unless you are publically flaunting it?!
I certainly don't expect that they should hold a parade in Gambia.

peace

Tania
05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Ehh, they do it here in the US...not shout that their gay but they sure express it clearly...
Its an anual parade ordered by outside. They are affiliated to the movement which is asking the recognition of marriage and adoption for them. During the parade they were very quite, not shouting, just walked with our police through the center of town and when they have done, everyone changed their clothes. More loudly were those who was against them.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Lol, if only there was such a thing as quiet with these people here. It's not. Wherever it was held, it wasn't quiet.

Amadeus85
05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
There are gays and homosexuals. Homosexuals are very often average tax paying and tv watching citizens. Gays are fanatical activist who wage cultural war against everything that they dont like and they are one of the most intolerant people on the planet.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.