/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Scholar Quote! Famous..

Umar001
05-23-2008, 10:40 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah,

I remember reading a quotation of a scholar. It included Imam Shafi'i and another scholar, I have a feeling/incling of a name Laa'illaki or similar.

Anyhow, the quote is as follows, roughly.

Speaking with regards to bida' and its people, one scholar (either shafi'i or the other) said, I would not follow a man and his bida' even if I saw him walk on water. Then the other scholar said, 'such and such' meaning the first scholar, has fallen short, I would not follow a man and his bida' even if they flew in the air.

It was something like this.

Also, I read ages ago, in kitab At Tauhid, if I remember correctly, there was one companion and his wife ended up getting a talesman/charm thing, and he asked why, and she said that her eye was hurting/twitching and she went to a Jew and got the thing and the hurt/twitchin stopped. He explained taht a shaytan was poking her eye until she commited the sin of getting the charm and then stopped.

Now, can someone please find me those two quotes properly, cos I cant find them either than memory and dont have sources.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
:salamext:

Al-Layth ibn Sa’d
(d. 175H) said, “If I saw a person of desires (i.e., innovations) walking upon the water I would not accept from him.” So Imaam ash-Shaafi’ee then said, “He (al-Layth) has fallen short. If I saw him walking in the air I would not accept from him.”
Reported by as-Suyooti in Al-Amr bil-Ittibaa’ wan-Nahee ‘anil-Ibtidaa’.

I'll try looking for the other quote inshaa'Allaah.

:wasalamex

Umar001
05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faizah
:salamext:

Al-Layth ibn Sa’d
(d. 175H) said, “If I saw a person of desires (i.e., innovations) walking upon the water I would not accept from him.” So Imaam ash-Shaafi’ee then said, “He (al-Layth) has fallen short. If I saw him walking in the air I would not accept from him.”
Reported by as-Suyooti in Al-Amr bil-Ittibaa’ wan-Nahee ‘anil-Ibtidaa’.

I'll try looking for the other quote inshaa'Allaah.

:wasalamex
Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahamatullahi Wa barakatuh,

Whre did you get it from? I mean, in the english which book? I had a feeling it was Imam An Nasa'es book of Knowledge but Im doubting it is that, and I dont think its Ibn Qudaamah's book, so where was it from? Im gonna kick myself in the head!

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-23-2008, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahamatullahi Wa barakatuh,

Whre did you get it from? I mean, in the english which book? I had a feeling it was Imam An Nasa'es book of Knowledge but Im doubting it is that, and I dont think its Ibn Qudaamah's book, so where was it from? Im gonna kick myself in the head!
From Usool as-Sunnah, by Imaam Ahmad rahimahullaah, the english translation by SPUBS. It has a lot of beneficial appendices.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faizah
From Usool as-Sunnah, by Imaam Ahmad rahimahullaah, the english translation by SPUBS. It has a lot of beneficial appendices.
Argh, I see, I havent read that yet, only skimmed it. its the one with the woody looking cover?

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Argh, I see, I havent read that yet, only skimmed it. its the one with the woody looking cover?
Na'am. That particular appendix has been posted here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/894684-post3.html

Umar001
05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh ok, thank you.

Umar001
05-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I was emailed the other incident I was looking for incase anyone was wondering:

Here you go:

It was narrated from Zaynab the wife of ‘Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ud (radiallaahu anhu) from ‘Abdullaah (radiallaahu anhu) that he said:

“I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘Spells (ruqyah), amulets and love-charms are shirk.” I said, “Why do you say this? By Allaah, my eye was weeping with a discharge and I kept going to So and so, the Jew, who did a spell for me. When he did the spell, it calmed down.” ‘Abdullaah said: “That was just the work of the Shaytaan who was picking it with his hand, and when (the Jew) uttered the spell, he stopped. All you needed to do was to say as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say: ‘Adhhib il-ba’s Rabb al-naas ishfi anta al-Shaafi laa shifaa’a illa shifaa’uka shifaa’an laa yughaadiru saqaman (Remove the harm, O Lord of mankind, and heal, You are the Healer. There is no healing but Your healing, a healing which leaves no disease behind.’”

(Narrated by Abu Dawud:3883, Ibn Maajah:3530)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.