/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is It Acceptable To Listen To A Nasheed Sung By A Non-muslim?

dishdash
05-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Or not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
05-25-2008, 08:59 AM
As Salam Alaykum,

As far as I know the current in house mufti is not here brother, so we can't provide a fatwa.

dishdash
05-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Good. I'm not looking for a fatwa, I'm looking for a discussion.

Nor would I (with the greatest respect) follow an electronic fatwa anyway!

north_malaysian
05-26-2008, 02:45 AM
The only nasheed I've heard being sung by a non-Muslim is "Ghannaytu Makkah" by Fairouz (a Lebanese Christian)... and it has musical instruments too... :blind:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dishdash
05-26-2008, 06:12 AM
I won't let this interesting point turn into another Islam vs musical instruments debate - there are plenty of them already! But that is interesting -

Let's just say for the sake of argument, a practising Maronite records an album of nasheeds with no instruments - done entirely for a Muslim audience. But ultimately, done for money.

Or if it helps any, let's take the example to an extreme - would a nasheed sung by Michael Jackson (without instruments) but done entirely for commercial reasons - be acceptable?

crayon
05-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Personally, I listen to anything that does not have music. Whether it's a nasheed sung by a muslim, sung by a non muslim, or even a regular song (with lyrics that don't talk about sex, violence, drugs, or other haram stuff of course) being sung without musical instruments.

north_malaysian
05-26-2008, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Personally, I listen to anything that does not have music. Whether it's a nasheed sung by a muslim, sung by a non muslim, or even a regular song (with lyrics that don't talk about sex, violence, drugs, or other haram stuff of course) being sung without musical instruments.
But how many Non-Muslims singing Islamic theme songs... regardless whether those songs have music or not.....:blind: I just know one song.

crayon
05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't know any, actually.. But if there ever were any, I would listen to them, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Umar001
05-26-2008, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash
Good. I'm not looking for a fatwa, I'm looking for a discussion.

Nor would I (with the greatest respect) follow an electronic fatwa anyway!
How comes? What if it was by CD? or through Pen and Paper. lol. I would follow a fatwa of the Mufti of Saudi even by electronic means ;p

Lol, as for the topic. would it be wise for us to listen to it? I mean, if it's not by Muslims then what's the point. The reason I guess people would listen to the nasheed is to get some islamic relaxing soothing stuff, if the islamic is taken out of it then why listen? Might aswell listen to those CDs with whales singing or something. That'd be better because 1.Theres no chance of you getting attached to the singer and listening to more of his/her stuff which may lead to bad 2. You wont be funding the non Muslim, since they may spend their stuff on haram stuff, smoking, drinking, or even building a place for shirk!

dishdash
05-27-2008, 12:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
How comes? What if it was by CD? or through Pen and Paper. lol. I would follow a fatwa of the Mufti of Saudi even by electronic means ;p

Lol, as for the topic. would it be wise for us to listen to it? I mean, if it's not by Muslims then what's the point. The reason I guess people would listen to the nasheed is to get some islamic relaxing soothing stuff, if the islamic is taken out of it then why listen? Might aswell listen to those CDs with whales singing or something. That'd be better because 1.Theres no chance of you getting attached to the singer and listening to more of his/her stuff which may lead to bad 2. You wont be funding the non Muslim, since they may spend their stuff on haram stuff, smoking, drinking, or even building a place for shirk!
:) I stand corrected! What I probably should have said is that I would not take a fatwa from this website! That's probably a better way of expressing it.

That said, thankyou for coming up with some decent points. There is I guess, always the risk that your money going to this person may end up going on not-so halal things. I would argue however, that this is the same for any deal with the non-Muslim, from buying a bar of chocolate right down to paying your taxes.

Cheb Mami is a Muslim - he employs instruments, duets with female singers and sings of things that would be deemed unwholesome in a broader Islamic context. If it were he rather than Michael Jackson singing a nasheed, would that make you more inclined to listen? Imad Rami, if you remember, was a pop star who made the leap to becoming a munashid quite successfully and to great benefit to his listeners...

I didn't say that the Islam were taken out of the nasheed, rather the Islam was taken out of the singer. And whilst whales are most certainly Muslim, I think their nasheed abilities are somewhat limited... am getting mental pictures of bearded whales.......

I think getting attached to the singer, Muslim or not, is perhaps a personal matter - the problem there would lie fairly and squarely with yourself - we enjoy nasheeds for the meessage. When you start feeling that the carrier of that message is more important than the message, that is most certainly your issue.

north_malaysian
05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Imad Rami, if you remember, was a pop star who made the leap to becoming a munashid quite successfully and to great benefit to his listeners....
Imad Rami? Never heard of him... the only "Rami" I knew is Rami Ayach...:blind:

dishdash
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Imad Rami? Never heard of him... the only "Rami" I knew is Rami Ayach...:blind:
He's a Syrian. There's few Levantines who won't have heard of him.

north_malaysian
05-30-2008, 12:40 AM
There is a Lebanese nasheed singer in Malaysia, and his name is Imad. He sings in Arabic and Malay. He is also calligraphy lecturer in a Malaysian college.

There are not so many Levantines in Malaysia. However, there are 10,000 Arab immigrants here plus 500,000 Malays who have Arab ancestry (400,000 are Hadhrami Yemenis, the remaining are mostly Hijazis).

al Amaanah
05-30-2008, 02:43 AM
just a reminder.

the prophet salla Allahu 3alaihi wassalam said: "I guarantee a house in Paradise for whoever leaves an argument, even if he was right, and a house in the middle of Paradise for whoever leaves lies, even if he was joking, and a house at the top of Paradise for whoever who has good manners." (Reported by Abu Dawood.)

Umar001
05-31-2008, 12:02 AM
:) I stand corrected! What I probably should have said is that I would not take a fatwa from this website! That's probably a better way of expressing it.
Salam Alaykum,

And may Allah reward you with good and thank you for assuming the best in me, and not just thinking I was being arguementative. :)

That said, thankyou for coming up with some decent points. There is I guess, always the risk that your money going to this person may end up going on not-so halal things. I would argue however, that this is the same for any deal with the non-Muslim, from buying a bar of chocolate right down to paying your taxes.
Of course theres a risk, but I personally would try as much as I can to buy from Muslims. From cars to chocolate.

Cheb Mami is a Muslim - he employs instruments, duets with female singers and sings of things that would be deemed unwholesome in a broader Islamic context. If it were he rather than Michael Jackson singing a nasheed, would that make you more inclined to listen? Imad Rami, if you remember, was a pop star who made the leap to becoming a munashid quite successfully and to great benefit to his listeners...
I don't know Imad Rami, soz. As for the other question, I wouldn't listen to either, why would I listen to an individual who, from what I understand, is doing wrong?

I didn't say that the Islam were taken out of the nasheed, rather the Islam was taken out of the singer. And whilst whales are most certainly Muslim, I think their nasheed abilities are somewhat limited... am getting mental pictures of bearded whales.......
Lol. What do you mean, Islam no taken out of the nasheed but out of the singer?

I think getting attached to the singer, Muslim or not, is perhaps a personal matter - the problem there would lie fairly and squarely with yourself - we enjoy nasheeds for the meessage. When you start feeling that the carrier of that message is more important than the message, that is most certainly your issue.
Of course, noone chooses to get attached though, like noone chooses really, well no Muslim, to just wake up and say I will make zina today, its a step by step till you fall into it. But you are right, people should know their limitation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.