/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gym Changing Rooms

asad1
05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi guys,

I've been going to the gym for a few years now. After a long workout, I shower nude in the public showers. Is it ok to do this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
teen-omar
05-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Sallam
of course it is not ok to do this especially when other people are there as well
if you want to have a shower, then it is best you do it at home insha'allah
one of the other members will insha'allah put up a hadeeth about this issue
wallahu a3lam
:w:

Umar001
05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Out of curiosity, don't you feel some sense of shame? In case people see you?

asad1
05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Out of curiosity, don't you feel some sense of shame? In case people see you?

Well not really as i didnt know it was wrong, besides everyone else does it..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
teen-omar
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
sallam
normally there should be hayaa in you, which means that you have a feeling of shame and embarrassment
but it's understandable, because if you wasn't brought up to know what is acceptable and not then you will never know what to do
may allah guide you to the right path insha'allah

------
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
:salamext:

No it is not okay. A man has to cover his Awrah.

Awrah is defined here;

Man's 'Awrah: The schools differ concerning the parts of man's body which it is haram for others to see and for him to expose. The hanafis and the Hanbalis state: It is wajib for a male to cover the area between the navel and the knees before all except his wife. It is permissible for others, irrespective of their being men or women maharim or strangers, to look at the rest of his body when there is no fear of sin.

The Malikis and the Shafi'is say: There are two different situations for a male with respect to the extent he can expose his body: the first, in the presence of men or those women who are his maharim; the second, in the presence of women who are not his maharim. In the former instance he is only supposed to cover the area between the waist and the
knees, while in the latter it is, haram for a woman stranger to look at any part of a man's body. Though the Malikis exclude the face and the arms if looked at without any sensual motive, the Shafi'is do not permit any exception (al-Fiqh 'ala al-madhahib al'arba'ah, vol. mabhath satr al-'awrah).

The Imamis differentiate between the parts of other person body which can be looked at and those parts of one's own body which ought to be covered. They observe: It is wajib for a male to cover only his rear and private parts, though it is wajib for women who are not his maharim to abstain from looking at any part of his body except his head and hands (up
to the wrist). To summarize the Imami opinion, it is permissible for a male to view the body of other men and his female maharim except the rear and private parts provided no sensual motive is involved. Similarly, a woman can view the body of other woman and her male maharim excepting the rear and private parts provided no sensual motive is involved.
Source

------
05-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Note this part of the above ^

It is wajib for a male to cover the area between the navel and the knees before all except his wife. It is permissible for others, irrespective of their being men or women maharim or strangers, to look at the rest of his body when there is no fear of sin.
May Allaah guide you.

asad1
05-25-2008, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

Note this part of the above ^

May Allaah guide you.

Ok thanks

------
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM

Saying Jazaak Allaah Khayr (May Allaah Reward you) is better than saying thanks, as thanks is the way of the non-Muslims :)

Umar001
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asad1
Well not really as i didnt know it was wrong, besides everyone else does it..
Okey dokes, well it is true in our society, speaking in the uk, when I used to play sunday football guys were just naked sometimes. As kids we had the modesty but then it kinda fizzles out abit and you are taught that 'since we all got the same thing no need to be shy'.

But yea, try hide your body as much as possible.

جوري
05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
It is great that someone is reaching out to learn of proper Islamic social and moral deportment..
I grew up all over the world and learned to make prayers first in Saudi Arabia, I wasn't praying at all during my entire teenage years, well when I started praying again and because I was feigning doing it for so long, I was in fact making fajr and maghrib prayers wrong memory wasn't serving me well..

I was too proud and ashamed to ask but beyond even that I didn't think I needed to brush up or renew my skills since in my mind I was doing it correct...

well one day my sis saw me praying fajr and said M did you make tashahud once or twice? I said shouldn't I make it in every rak3a?.. well she had a good laugh but taught me the proper way without making me feel like crap about it for doing it wrong all of those years...

I guess what I am trying to say is.. when someone is reaching out to learn something.. it is good to teach with a measure of gentility..

wAllah a3lam

jazakoum Allah khyran and may Allah reward for sharing of your knowledge and our dear brother for making an effort to understand the allowances of his religion better..

waslaam 3lykoum wr wb

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
^^Ameen.

Mikayeel
05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
:sl:

Thats the thing i hate about gyms, after i finish working out, i run out! Cuz everyone starts to get naked lool:)

asad1
05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

Thats the thing i hate about gyms, after i finish working out, i run out! Cuz everyone starts to get naked lool:)

Yeah i cant really do tht as I live about 15mins, have to get a bus, and so it would be rather unhygienic to leave without a shower for others around me and for myself.

Mikayeel
05-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah i cant really do tht as I live about 15mins, have to get a bus, and so it would be rather unhygienic to leave without a shower for others around me and for myself.
I see ur point, maybe try a gym with seperate shower rooms bro? :) Beside i find it uncomfortable showing my privates when people r around lool, u never know what kind of men r der!

Or use loads of deodrant so people around u cn bare u till u get home:) I dnt think any would notice any way.

chacha_jalebi
05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
well when i was poor, i had to go to one of them run down gyms, where there was only 2 shower spaces lol, and they used to fit like 10 ppl in there, and even though the awrah was covered, thats just blatant gay!

i would personally advice you, to cover your awrah when you do shower, like wear shorts or summin, if someone asks you what you dooin, "say im not gay exposin myself":D so inshallah cover your awraah, also if you cant doo thaat, then just shower at home, its for the best!!

medlink student
05-27-2008, 02:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
well when i was poor, i had to go to one of them run down gyms, where there was only 2 shower spaces lol, and they used to fit like 10 ppl in there, and even though the awrah was covered, thats just blatant gay!

i would personally advice you, to cover your awrah when you do shower, like wear shorts or summin, if someone asks you what you dooin, "say im not gay exposin myself":D so inshallah cover your awraah, also if you cant doo thaat, then just shower at home, its for the best!!
lol..............:D
my advice; why not wait till everyone leaves and take a shower then?

------
05-27-2008, 09:45 AM

Do you have to strip down though :muddlehea

asad1
05-27-2008, 02:59 PM

Do you have to strip down though :muddlehea

lol well u cant really have a proper shower if your wearing clothes

------
05-27-2008, 03:03 PM

There's something called sharam, heard of it ?

asad1
05-27-2008, 03:04 PM

There's something called sharam, heard of it ?
no not really

------
05-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Got nothing to say except, May Allaah guide you youngsters nowadays.

'Abd al-Baari
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM

Why not shower wearing swimming shorts, and then have a proper shower at home bro?

You've asked for advice, and you've been given it. Its your choice to take it and follow it. :)

May Allaah guide you youngsters nowadays.
Aameen!

Umar001
05-27-2008, 03:15 PM
You could just wash your upper body part, mainly armpits and so forth, there and then wash propely at home.

MaiCarInMtl
05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
The gym I go to has more "individual" showers (like a washroom stall but with a curtain instead of a door). I think this really is the best thing. If that's not possible, then the bathing suit thing is one option, ortherwise you could always do "the essentials" with a face cloth (face, underarms, back, etc...). and do the rest at home.

PS Bring flip flops! Please! You have no idea what kind of nasty things you can get from walking around barefoot (I have a friend who ended up with warts and athlete's foot)!!!!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
most gyms have closed show cubicles, why use a open one...change gyms if i was you.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
BTW isnt this a brothers sectioner?lol

------
05-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Nope, he's a newbie.

MTAFFI
05-29-2008, 07:33 PM
ok I have two things here

1) I two go to a gym and take a shower, my gym however has individual showers, which is nice, but I guess some people like to flaunt around nude afterwards.. Is it OK for me to shower there knowing there could be a weirdo walking around the corner naked? I pay them no attention, but they are around occasionally

2) During the summer I often walk around shirtless for example when I cut my grass, when I go running, any outside work, and even just hanging around the house... Granted no one really can see me except when I go running or if I am working somewhere away from the house, hopefully the point is conveyed.. Also what about the beach, I own some timeshares and my family visits every year a few times, I pretty much never where a shirt while I am there, is this permissible?

جوري
05-30-2008, 12:18 AM
I think a man's 3awarah is from the naval to the knee.. so shirtless at the beach is normal?.. as for weird naked men, well that can happen any time and anywhere, especially in NY :lol: it is best to 'tghod albasar' as in avert your vision
and Allah knows best..

MTAFFI
05-30-2008, 01:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
as for weird naked men, well that can happen any time and anywhere, especially in NY :lol:

lol... must have had a bad experience??? lol... I go to NY a few times a year, fortunately I haven't had the displeasure...lol

جوري
05-30-2008, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
lol... must have had a bad experience??? lol... I go to NY a few times a year, fortunately I haven't had the displeasure...lol
lol.. if only I share with you, half of the things I have seen in my life.. mostly on the job bloopers you wouldn't believe me.. I swear they couldn't script weirder things than have happened to me.. but I'll hold on to those until the appropriate moment, like when at a dinner or speaking to someone important.. there is no better way to break the ice than a more awkward moment you've had the pleasure of beholding at some other point in your life ;D

liono79
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I used to go to the gym a few times a week back several years ago until I bought my own equipment which I use at home every week.

I didnt use the showers as I used to cycle it home and take a shower there. If it was stormy day then I would drive home and again shower at home. It saved me having to bring in some fresh colthing whilst keeping it crease free etc.

I suppose its your own preference. I was tought to keep the part between your navels to knee covered at all times. I wouldnt want no one looking at that area whether it be in the showers at the gym or elsewhere; especially no man.

Best to keep your self covered someway (shorts), whilst taking a quick shower and have a proper one at home. Then again, you could wipe yourself down with a towel, underarms etc and put on some clean temporary clothes. Bus it home and have a shower etc.

Or just get yourself a bike and bike it home like I did with the added benefits knowing it will tone you up.

Whatever advise you take, Im sure you'll choose the correct path,
May allah swt guide you in righteousness; Ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.