/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Such High Aspirations

Ibn Al Aqwa
05-26-2008, 10:24 PM
The following is a summarization of p. 26-34 of an excellent book called 'Sawanih wa Ta'ammullat fi Qimat az-Zaman' by Khaldun al-Ahdab.

"al-Khatib al-Baghdadi said: "I heard 'Ali bin 'Ubaydullah bin 'Abd al-Ghaffar al-Lughawi saying: "Verily, Muhammad bin Jarir at-Tabari, out of his eighty-three years of life, spend forty of those years writing, with him writing forty pages each day of those forty years.""

This means that he - may Allah have Mercy on him - wrote almost 584,000 pages in that time!

Professor Muhammad Kurd 'Ali said, in this biography of Ibn Jarir at-Tabari: "It is not reported from him that he wasted even a single minute of his life in something other than benefitting others or benefitting from others."

And in order to grasp the lofty quality of these works that he authored, reflect over what Abu Hamid Ahmad bin 'Ali Tahir al-Isfra'ini said: "If a man were to travel to China simply in order to acquire 'Tafsir at-Tabari,' then this would not be too much to do."

al-Bayhaqi authored over 1,000 volumes, each one of them being unique and different from anything else of its time, filled with benefit, and he would fast regularly for over thirty years.

Abu al-Wafa' 'Ali bin 'Aqil al-Hambali al-Baghdadi, regarding whom Ibn Taymiyyah said: "He is from the wisest people on Earth," in his conservation of time on an even greater scale, wrote the longest book ever written by a scholar in the world, and that is the book 'al-Funun,' which is 800 volumes long.

And Ibn 'Asakir authored his book 'Tarikh Dimashq' in over eighty large volumes.

And Abu Hatim ar-Razi wrote his 'Musnad' in over 1,000 volumes.

And Ibn al-Jawzi said, regarding himself: "I authored over 1,000 volumes with these two fingers, and over 100,000 people repented by my hand, and over 20,000 Jews and Christians entered Islam by my hand."

If we assume that a medium-sized volume contains about 300 pages, then the amount that he wrote in 1,000 volumes would surpass 6,000,000!!

Ibn al-Jawzi continues:

"So, when I saw that time is the most valuable of things, and it is a must to take advantage of it by doing that which is good, I hated (the wasting of time by the people engaging in idle talk and actions), and I was, in regards to this, caught between two choices: if I reprimanded them for their actions, then I would cause a rift between myself and them, and if I accepted their actions, then I would have wasted my time. So, I decided to expend some effort in pushing the meetings along, and if I saw that it was heading in the direction of idleness, I would shorten the conversation in order to be able to depart from the sitting.

Then, I would prepare certain tasks that would not interfere with a conversation during the times that people would meet me at my home, so that no time would pass by without anything beneficial being done. So, I would arrange to be able to sharpen my pens and organize my notebooks, as such tasks do not require any thinking or concentration. Therefore, I would reserve these tasks for times in which people would visit me, so that I would not allow any time to be wasted."

And as-Suyuti was nicknamed 'Ibn al-Kutub' (Son of Books), as his father had requested from his pregnant mother to get him a book from his library, and she began going into labor as soon as she was in the library, giving birth to him between all the books. This nickname was appropriate for him until he became Abu al-Kutub, as the works that he authored in his lifetime numbered over 600, besides what he wrote and then retracted."

Such high aspirations...

JazakAllaah Khayr to Abu Sabaayaa for the translation...

Wa Alaykum Salaam Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakatuh

http://iskandrani.wordpress.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Thread Approved

JazakAllah Khayr akhee. Awesome post! :thumbs_up

:w:

cute123
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
i am amazed at Ibn Qayyim's knowledge , every word written directly cuts the heart opens the brain to accept good things and to distinguish between the right and the wrong. May Allah bless Him and we benefit from our Scholars

Ibn Al Aqwa
05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Indeed.

But the above mentioned scholar is Ibn Al Jawzi.

Ibn Al Qayyim Al Jawziyyah, the one you are referring to, is another.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cute123
05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
r u sure , as i have noticed different names for him. Will find out more abt him Inshallah

Ibn Al Aqwa
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma Shaikh
r u sure , as i have noticed different names for him. Will find out more abt him Inshallah
I am positive.

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...l-philips.html

cute123
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
thanks for the link, if i found more will let u know

cute123
05-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes u r right . I found out this.
http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/seerah/index.htm

hence i have 1 more scholar in my list. Ibn Al Jawzi.:) thanks bro for pointing it out

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.