/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Night Prayers Question

Muezza The Cat
05-28-2008, 03:01 AM
As-Salamu Alaykum! I am an American fiction writer and college professor. I have an Islamic character in a book I am completing and I'm hoping to make him more realistic and less stereotypical. I will certainly reach out off-line also. I'm here to learn and I would greatly appreciate any feedback about what I believe to be a very basic topic, night prayers.

I am trying to understand the practical differences between the optional Tahajjud night prayer and the required Isha'a night prayer.

Does anyone have practical experience with the former, the Tahajjud prayer?

Are both the Tahajjud and the Isha's called "night prayers?"

These days, who actually performs these prayers?

Do Muslims sometimes awake in the middle of the night to say one of these prayers?

I would be most grateful for any and all responses!

Thank you so much and please, in advance, forgive my enormous ignorance about this topic. I am certain I have mangled these descriptions and made some erroneous assumptions.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
:salamext:

*bump

Muezza The Cat
06-01-2008, 07:05 PM
bump -- please? :>)

Na7lah
06-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I am trying to understand the practical differences between the optional Tahajjud night prayer and the required Isha'a night prayer.
Well like u said, Tahajud prayer is optional and Isha is required on every Muslim.

I pray the Tahajud whenever I can, specially in Ramadhan. Also another thing, Taraweeh which is prayed by a large number of Muslims is also considered as Tahajud.

I’m not sure about that, mayb someone else can answer that. But I’ll search on it inshallah.

Well every Muslim Has to pray Isha. I know not many people are willing to wake up in the night for Tahajud but some do, walhamdulillah.

Do Muslims sometimes awake in the middle of the night to say one of these prayers?
Yes, and the best time is the last third of the night.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezza The Cat
06-01-2008, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
Well like u said, Tahajud prayer is optional and Isha is required on every Muslim.

I pray the Tahajud whenever I can, specially in Ramadhan. Also another thing, Taraweeh which is prayed by a large number of Muslims is also considered as Tahajud.

I’m not sure about that, mayb someone else can answer that. But I’ll search on it inshallah.

Well every Muslim Has to pray Isha. I know not many people are willing to wake up in the night for Tahajud but some do, walhamdulillah.

Yes, and the best time is the last third of the night.
Thank you so much for this reply. It was very helpful. I hope others will respond, too!

Na7lah
06-01-2008, 07:44 PM
hope these links help

http://path-to-peace.com/tahajud.html
http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa1/dhikr/tahajjud.html
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/50070/qiyaam

Umar001
06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
You may also look for Qiyam ul Layl, standing of night or something like that literally, but if I am not mistaken refers to Tahajjud. Sometimes in the west, not often I dont think, but here for example, sometimes they hav like the masjid open for people and they pray tahajjud together like really late, not like Isha.

Na7lah
06-01-2008, 07:53 PM
they only do that here in Ramadan. we go to the masjid bout four to three hours before fajr and we pray tahajud and witr...dey do i3tikaaf also

BlissfullyJaded
06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd like to clarify something. Taraweeh is prayed right after Isha, and not during the last third of the night which differs it from Tahajjud since the best timing for Tahajjud is the last third.

Good luck on your book.. I'd like to read it when it published!

Snowflake
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Greetings Muezza,

I prayed it twice this week as I was up late. I would like to make it routine and be able to wake up from sleep to pray it God willing. I know that will take time and I'll really have to change my lifestyle in order to fulfil that desire inshaAllah. It's an amazing feeling praying in solitude with no sound or distractions from anywhere. I can't describe it. One really has to experience it to know how it feels.

Yes, but both are distinguishable by their names. Isha begin at twilight while Tahajjud (Qiyam a-layal) begins after Isha with the third part of the night being the most virtuous time to perform it. It ends when Fajr time enters.

Alhumdulillah, many muslims pray Tahajjud.

Yes, that is the best way most rewarding way.

I would be most grateful for any and all responses!
You're most welcome. Glad to have helped & may Allah guide you to the Truth. Ameen.

Peace.

Muezza The Cat
06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I thank you all very very much. You have freely offered all that I needed for my purposes. I have nothing to offer in return except my promise to avoid portraying muslims in stereotyped ways. My great hope is to avoid making foolish, insulting errors in trying to depict a practicing devout muslim, and it just so happens, because of my character's identity, he has developed an interest in performing Tahajjud. Again, thanks so much!

Snowflake
06-02-2008, 08:55 AM
You're welcome! Please don't hesistate to ask any more questions if you need to.

All the best with your book.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.