/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking

Jeremy
05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
For the past couple of weeks, I have been wanting to quit smoking. But it has been so hard when one has done it for 10yrs straight at 2 packs a day. I ask for help in cleansing my body and mind.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cute123
05-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Mashallah akhee(arabic word for brother). May allah help you . The very first thing according to me is will itslef. not much knowledge in it, but try to replace it with like a lesser harmful substance say chewing gum or juices or reduces it slowly slowly its intake. May be others can advice u well

snakelegs
05-29-2008, 07:38 PM
hi and welcome to the forum.
quitting smoking is hard but do-able. i did it and i had a 3+ pack a day decades-long addiction. it is, however, one of the best things you will do in life.
i found that not trying = not focusing on quitting, to be helpful, rather focusing on being free. for some reason, licorice tea was helpful. distractions are good too. like when the "i want a cigarette" tape goes off in your head, replace it with something else - maybe a zikr.
i also found deep breathing useful.
everyone is different and what works for one person, may not work for another.
i wish you the best of luck!

Mikayeel
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
:sl:

Set a date, that on that day u r going to stop smoking!(inshAllah) and tell every one you know about that day... This helped with alot of family and friends!

May Allah make it easy on u :)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truthforpeace
05-29-2008, 07:48 PM
hello brother!

I have quit recently myself. I have quit by using nicorette gum and prayer combined.

As for the prayer piece, I began by praying to Allah to be willing to quit Alhamdulillah
and then I moved on to praying to Allah to help me quit Alhamdulillah

snakelegs
05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthforpeace
hello brother!

I have quit recently myself. I have quit by using nicorette gum and prayer combined.

As for the prayer piece, I began by praying to Allah to be willing to quit Alhamdulillah
and then I moved on to praying to Allah to help me quit Alhamdulillah
you make a good point. being 100% willing to quit is at least half the battle.
wanting to - not should.

جوري
05-30-2008, 02:32 AM
actually if you can't use gum, you may want to pay a visit to your GP and ask him for meds to help you quit bupropion can reduce the urge to smoke dramatically.. if you are going to go on a gum or a patch, it is absolutely crucial that you make a note not to smole along with, many people have ended with major heart attacks when combining the two..

:w:

arabianprincess
05-30-2008, 03:22 AM
salam wa 3lykom......

well bro just believe in ur self n u ll do it.... i know its hard.. but u llll get used to it... sooner or later rite... peace

IbnAbdulHakim
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
my uncle quit 2 years ago and he was smoking 40+ a day!

i remember once he got this naaasty spray that if you spray that in your mouth and then smoke you feel like puking!

yep he threw that away the second day but then he got patches and put sheer will into it and it was done!!

hope you succeed bro :)

Assalamu Alaikum

Ali.
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
2 packs a day, eh?

OK, what if you do the following:

I don't know how many cigarettes are in a packet, so for my example let's say 15.

So if you smoke 2 packets a day your smoking 30 a day. From what I've heard, quitting is extremely difficult, yet accomplishable. So what you have to do is every 2 days, decrease the number of cigarettes you smoke by 1. Yes it sounds little, but a gradual process is best in my opinion. Keep at that and then insha'Allah, you will quit smoking in the long term.

Eric H
05-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Greetings and peace be with you jeremy;
I liked the prayer advice from truthforpeace, quitting is personal, and you need to search for your own best way.

When I smoked I used to kid myself and say smoking helped to calm my nerves, but the exact opposite is the truth. You have a smoke and the nicotine wears off, so you need to top it up again so that your nerves will be OK. Cigarettes cause the problem, they are not a part of the calming solution.

People give up in many different ways, I feel it is really important to sort the mind out first, you have to want to quit, you need to convince yourself you can do it, after all many people do. You are no different to all the people who have kicked the habit.

I tried two or three times to give up, but my mind wasn’t really convinced I could do it, I had left a couple of excuses open whereby I could start again if things got tough.

Looking back at the times I failed I can recall I wasn’t feeling very convinced I could quit. It is a hundred percent to do with the mind, I stopped without patches or help from doctors, I depended on my own determination.

In a way it is not worth trying to quit unless you really make a determined effort to sort the mind out first. Being angry with myself for letting a stupid white stick get the better of me, is a good place to start, anger is a powerful emotion, but It only worked for me because I directed the anger at myself for being so stupid and weak.

When you decide you are going to stop, don’t wait until you have run out of tobacco, instead go and locate all your tobacco at home, work the car and anywhere else you might keep it. Destroy it in some way, soak it in engine oil, throw it in some one else’s dirty bin, do it last thing at night.

Somehow you have to convince yourself you mean business.

Before you give up smoking admit to yourself all your known weaknesses and excuses of why you may not succeed. At some point you are going to be bored, you are going to come into contact with a smoking mate, you are going to get stressed, you are going to be in a shop selling tobacco, you are going to be out with social smokers, you are going to think I can just have one.

Be ruthless and make it personal, you are the only person who knows yourself, go through all the weaknesses and excuses that apply to you. You have to be truthful to yourself.

The first one to two weeks are going to be hell, then it will start getting slightly better, you fight the beast moment by moment, one hour at a time, one day at a time. Some times it will feel easier than others, and at times it will seem hell..

I can remember the first six months of not smoking, I developed a smoker’s cough, and coughed up loads of gunge, but it definitely felt better afterwards.

Giving up is not about the first day, or the first month or the first ten years, it is a lifetime strategy. It is almost pointless giving up for three years and starting again; it is all to do with the mind.

One thing that has helped me is to acknowledge that I am afraid of cigarettes, I know even now that if I just have a couple of drags I will be smoking again.

Tell all your smoking friends that you have given up, and tell them not to offer you any in future.

The strategy that helped me the most, is you only have to cut out all the fags that you need or enjoy the most, like the first one in the morning, or with drinks and meals at times of stress or boredom.

So you cut out the first one in the morning then you just delay and delay having the next one. If you have to have one; have it without a drink or in any other non-enjoyable way.

If you really have to have one, have the smoke at a time that will give you the least possible enjoyment or reward, and if you are not going to get much out of it, do you really need it?

I have total belief and faith that both you can and will quit.

Now you don’t have to believe me, you only have to believe in yourself.

In the spirit of striving to beat the beast,

Eric

liono79
06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Assalaam o Laikum brother. Hope you and your familly are keeping well.
I started smoking when I was about 17. I didnt give up until I reached probably 24-25 years old. I was only smoking a few a day until sometimes I would go through packets. It became so addictive I turned to large packets of tobacco (golden virginia, old hoburn etc) to save money. Believe it or not I then became bored of smoking and was only doing it as it had become a habit; and a bad one too.

The hardest part for me was giving up that habit. I remember I would always smoke, in the morning when I got up, when having a tea or coffee (good old days), after a meal, after a football match, on a break from university or work etc etc.

Quitting for me took about id say between one and one and half years. It was very difficult but I had a plan. I promised myself I cut down gradually. This is the key. You cant give it up all at once; it has to be a gradual process.
I would buy my usual amount of cigs or tobacco and cut down by 2% or so in the first week. By the second week it would be 4% , third week 6% etc.
I carried on doing this and at around 6-8 months I was smoking half of what I used to.

I told my friends not to offer me any cigarettes, even if I begged them.
After about a year or so I was smoking around 3-5 cigarettes a day. I gradually decreased this amount until I would carry only one cigarette. I would smoke this throughout the day.

I remember one day me and my brother and sisters were watching a film and I looked at the time and it was about 00:30 when it ended. I thought this was odd, as I didnt smoke that day and still had the cigarette in my shirt pocket.

I thought I would try the same the next day and again I didnt smoke. Ive not been smoking for years now. Whenever I smell smoke it makes me feel sick.
I do admit I occassionaly smoke a cigar once every three to four months if that.

All I would advise is to take things gradually. Speak to your doctor. Now there are many things on the market such as patches, gum etc.
You should research on what suits you and your needs.

What I would say is try not to hang around with people that smoke. All this would do is make you want to light up. Some people smoke when they are stressed. If you one of them then try and avoid lighting up and do something else like eat an apple or chew gum instead.

Deep down if you are 100% comitted you will quit. If theirs that 1% of you thats not comitted then you will undoubtedly fail. A helpful tip would be getting all your stubs and ash together in a small cup or bowl. Put some water in it. Whenever your at home and feel like smoking, take a whiff of tht cup of ash.

It will put you off I promise. Dont give up and keep trying. It will take you some time but if you have the will power and comittment Im sure you'll quit, inshallah.

May allah swt help you in all your needs, ameen.
Wasallam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.