/* */

PDA

View Full Version : im too skinny!!

maj232
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
:sl:

I'm 16 years old and for some reason im too skinny, even though i eat very well, in fact i eat a lot junk food during break time in school at home etc. im not getting fat or anything, if this was someone else, by now they would be suffering from obesity. Im now trying the new weight gainer from maximuscle and this is not also working for me, what should i do ?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aminahjaan
05-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Go to a dietitian and ask why you're not gaining any weight. I know someone who is anorexic, she can't eat foods with wheat in it, but she does try to gain weight by trying other foods. You should contact a doctor or dietitian about that.

medlink student
05-30-2008, 07:20 AM
looooo000oooo0oooll...
im kinda thin... i eat lot of junk too init haha..
normally with ppl having this prob. m8 be cuz the nutrients are making u taller instead of fatter...:w::D

Tania
05-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Try normal food too ( junk food its not in favour of your health). I heard if you have certain issues with thyroid you can remain skinny even if you eat lot of foods.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
05-30-2008, 07:53 AM
:salamext:

NO Junk food - does not increase weight

Plenty of Asian food, e.g. oily stuff - Samosas, Pakoras, Rice, Curry, etc.

Lonely Gal
05-30-2008, 07:54 AM
surely if ur eating fine its not a big problem? go doc explain and see if tings are ok jus to put ur mind at ease..
u myt jus have a real quik matabolism..

mehnaz
05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Assalamoalaikum...

i've heard that some people lack the cells which store fat..hence no increase in weight...but then u have to verify with ur doctor...i dont think any advice from us is gonna make any difference...

Walekumassalaam

IbnAbdulHakim
05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
may Allaah help you

i know too many skinny people who cant get big, my advice, live with it and say Alhamdulillaah :D

hey loadsa fat people cant b skinny :p

NYCmuslim
05-30-2008, 09:36 AM

Eat lots of protein and drink plenty of water. Why not start weightlifting? Thats a good way to gain mass and size. You're young so you are probably still growing in height. Once all the puberty stuff slows down you will probably start gaining some weight.

Im not a doctor though. You should see one if you can. All the best.

Peace

maj232
05-30-2008, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NYCmuslim

Eat lots of protein and drink plenty of water. Why not start weightlifting? Thats a good way to gain mass and size. You're young so you are probably still growing in height. Once all the puberty stuff slows down you will probably start gaining some weight.

Im not a doctor though. You should see one if you can. All the best.

Peace

I also do weightlifting but this is not helping me as well, and height is not a problem, i am quite tall. Iv'e been to my GP 2 times and he told me to eat things like wheat, rice and have more vegetables and i did start eating these things but after 6 months theres no results.

------
05-30-2008, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

NO Junk food - does not increase weight

Plenty of Asian food, e.g. oily stuff - Samosas, Pakoras, Rice, Curry, etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

m102313
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
try eating more protein foods such as meat, fish eggs etc.

'Abd al-Baari
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM

It is that you just look skinny akhee or is your weight a problem too? The reason i ask is that for some people, they look super skinny but there weight is fine, Alhamdulilllah.

:w: :)

maj232
05-30-2008, 10:06 AM
im 45kg, i don't know if this is the average weight for 16 yr olds, but few other people i know that are of my age are like 60-70kg and they are not fat.

Lonely Gal
05-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I am sure that is fine for your age..
I weigh 48 and im 22!
dno where ur from but in UK.. boots have a weighing machine that tells u whether ur over or under weight.. and recommended weight etc..

'Abd al-Baari
05-30-2008, 10:12 AM

I see, can't give any advice, but if it isn't affercting your health then don't worry too much about it Insha'Allah. :)

and as sis Serene said, Plenty of Asian food, e.g. oily stuff - Samosas, Pakoras, Rice, Curry, etc. but not too much..can lead to many problems :(

------
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM

maj232
05-30-2008, 10:27 AM
according that chart above im under weight.

------
05-30-2008, 10:31 AM

So try and increase it inshaaAllaah =)

Lonely Gal
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
dont ur age play a part??

------
05-30-2008, 10:36 AM

^ I don't think so. It mostly depends on your height.

Lonely Gal
05-30-2008, 10:40 AM
o ok..

S_87
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM

If you go and see a doctor they can see if its a problem (lack of iron/protein) or just how you naturally are. and they can prescribe for you protein shakes or whatever to up your weight.
Everyones different, some people are just naturally born skinny

AnonymousPoster
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
:sl: Wow, I know a sister with the same problem...not very appropriate I guess but I wish I had that problem!.... eat as much as I want and never put on weight.
She started having these protein drinks which are used for people who are trying to gain mucscle mass?..but she didnt work out so as not to burn the fat, let it start as fat, and then if you want to work out thats fine, but if your working out now, your probly turning what you have into muscle straight away and thats why you'r not getting the weight, cos you'r using up the energy as fast as you'r taking it...maybe? she said that that helped her put on some weight. I dont know if thats how it works all the time though..sorry.

Woodrow
05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Just a few reminders we have nobody here qualified to give medical advice.

It is more important as to how you feel and not your physical appearance.

If you feel fine, your health is probably fine and you may be simply facing a rapid growth spurt and your height is going to increase dramaticaly in the next few months.

If you have any concerns ask your parents to get you to a doctor for a full check up.

_advice
05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
maj232: I was in your exact situation during my young and teenage years and got way past it. I was skinnier than skinny. I go to the gym regularly now and am in better shape than any of my friends. And I'll give you some solid tips that will help you if you follow them:

Tip #1 - STOP eating junk food, it will NEVER help you at your age and you'll just develop bad eating habits.

Tip #2 - You say you work out, but do you do it properly? I bet you don't do squats, deadlifts, or bench press with the barbell weights? At your age, doing bicep curls and some fun machines will get you no where. If you want to put on weight, start doing the heavy hitting machines, ESPECIALLY squats. Start out LIGHT and focus on proper posture. Your form is everything. Don't go too heavy because you're still young, u don't want to get injured or stunt your growth.

Tip #3 - Forget weightgainers. I used to try this weightgainer called RUSSIAN BEAR 5000. It had 5000 calories per serving! They should be jailed for making something like that because it was PURE UNHEALTHY SUGAR-LOADED GARBAGE. IF you do gain weight, it will be BAD and unhealthy weight.

Tip #4 - Realize that you're still young and have a lot of growing to do. If you've already hit puberty, then you should've made some natural gains. But, don't expect to gain 20lbs in one year just by eating junk food. EAT HEALTHY FOODS and you'll gain weight. Starting eating lots of CARBS; spaghetti, pasta, pizza, whole grain breads, pita, roti, fruits, veggies, and get yourself a protein shake that also has carbs in it. EAT 5-6 smaller meals a day rather than 2-3 large meals. Get some whipped cottage cheese and mix it with yogurt and eat it twice a day for a snack.

Tip #5 - Be consistent with the gym. Make it a hobby of yours and get a work out schedule. If you aren't consistent, you won't get results.. it's that simple.

Tip #6 - BE HAPPY that you have fast metabolism!! It's a gift from God. Believe me, you'll appreciate it when you get older and all your friends gain 5lbs from eating too much for dinner while you're still in great shape. Just learn to work with your individual needs and don't look for a quick fix, cause it doesn't exist.

Hope that helps

truemuslim
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
lol according to that list im underwieght?! Pshhh wata liar.
neway bro do u do bodybuilding? Its much better, instead of fat, muscles...my brohter eats tons of fat food, like alooot, and eats everything alot, but he never gains wieght no matter what, he does body building tho and he looks very good now, like not too skinny, but muscular instead. :)

*KB*
05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maj232
im 45kg, i don't know if this is the average weight for 16 yr olds, but few other people i know that are of my age are like 60-70kg and they are not fat.
Assalamualaykum

Brother have you checked your BMI: Body Mass Index?

If your normal then don't worry :D:D:D:D
If your overweight maybe worry :?:?:?:?
If your obese PANIC!!! :scared::scared::scared::scared:

If you are underweight then you may have to take Sister -Serene-'s advice and gobble down some traditional Asian food.

Insha'Allah you will be fine. Make dua to Allah and I will do so for you as well. :)

Assalamualaykum
*KB*
:coolious:

*KB*
05-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Assalamualaykum

Oops just read the above posts..your underweight:-[ (I'm a bit slow:D)

I'll make dua for you Brother.

:cry::cry::cry:Sorry I have no more advice but Insha'Allah all will be fine:)

Assalamualaykum
*KB*
:coolious:

Snowflake
05-30-2008, 04:26 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

An over-active thyroid can prevent weight-gain and can include other symptoms such as tiredness, shaking, hair loss, muscle weakness. Even if you don't have other problems then it's worth having blood tests to rule it out.

I don't advise you to eat fat-laden foods, since they can bring their own problems and fat accumulates around a persons vital organs. Saturated fats also fur up the arteries and cause devastating health problems - not to mention a fat rich diet is also the cause of heartburn, irritable bowl syndrome and hmm so much more.

Add good fats to your diet from nuts, seeds, olives etc. Macademia nuts are high in fat (good fat).

Weight gaining and nourishing foods:

1) Muskmelon is considered valuable in the underweight home remedy treatment. Consume muskmelons thrice a day for about 40 days and see its wonderful effects.

2) Adopt a mango-milk diet for a month. Eat two medium sized ripe and
sweet mangoes, followed by a glass of milk. Consume mangoes three times in a day.
Mango acts as a rich source of sugar, but lacks the necessary proteins required by the body. On the other hand, milk is rich in proteins but deficient in fats. Thus, the deficiency of mango is made up by milk and vice versa.

3) For instant weight gain, you can go in for an exclusive milk diet, in which milk has to be taken after every 2 hours.

4) Soak 3 dry figs in water and consume it two times in a day.

5) Raisins act as a good remedy for increasing weight. Consume about thirty grams of raisins on a daily basis.

There is one other way, but I doubt you'd be interested lol. It's colour therapy. I'll be making a separate thread for that. You can check there if you're interested inshaAllah.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Nájlá
05-30-2008, 04:30 PM
i think u should take bros _advice and serene's advice

Armand
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
As salaam alaykum,

I'd advise you too see a doctor. As one person noted earlier, it may be a thyroid related issue, and in that case it could possibly cause you harm. Consult your physician and they will have you get some blood work done to figure out what seems to be the problem. :)

Allaah bless you bro,

Armand

Ali.
05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to gain weight? If you feel your OK then there's no need for you to start consumpting fatty goods.

maj232
05-30-2008, 04:35 PM
well at the moment im too skinny, im not trying to be fat but being too skinny is not good because i can see my bones.

maj232
05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
asalam alaikum wr wb,

An over-active thyroid can prevent weight-gain and can include other symptoms such as tiredness, shaking, hair loss, muscle weakness. If you don't have other problems then it's worth having blood tests to rule it out.

I don't advise you to eat fat-laden foods, since they can bring their own problems and fat accumulates around a persons vital organs. Saturated fats also fur up the arteries and cause devastating health problems - not to mention a fat rich diet is also the cause of heartburn, irritable bowl syndrome and hmm so much more.

Add good fats to your diet from nuts, seeds, olives etc. Macademia nuts are high in fat (good fat).

There is one other way, but I doubt you'd be interested lol. It's colour therapy. I'll be making a separate thread for that. You can check there if you're interested inshaAllah.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

I think it could be this thyroid problem, because im suffering from alpecia and many times after i come back from school i feel tired and go to sleep for an hour.

Jazakallahu Khair for the info sis.

Ali.
05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
well at the moment im too skinny, im not trying to be fat but being too skinny is not good because i can see my bones.
But do you feel OK? Do you feel that something is wrong with you due to the fact of being skinny apart from appearance?

maj232
05-30-2008, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
But do you feel OK? Do you feel that something is wrong with you due to the fact of being skinny apart from appearance?
yh other than that im okay, i don't think it affects other things becuase im the fastest runner in my class and also like the 2nd stongest in my year, im just worried because i don't like my appearence.

BTW ive been to the docter enough times but the doctor hasn't really done anything other than telling me to change my diet.

Ali.
05-30-2008, 04:47 PM
yh other than that im okay, i don't think it affects other things becuase im the fastest runner in my class and also like the 2nd stongest in my year, im just worried because i don't like my appearence.

BTW ive been to the docter enough times but the doctor hasn't really done anything other than telling me to change my diet.

I think your fine then. Some people are just born skinny; no matter how much they eat it will go towards their height, not their fat. If you feel really worried then go to a different doctor as the doctor you mentioned doesn't seem to keen on diagnosing you properly.

AnonymousPoster
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

omg dat chart is ugly.it has to be wrong

Snowflake
05-30-2008, 07:50 PM

I think it could be this thyroid problem, because im suffering from alpecia and many times after i come back from school i feel tired and go to sleep for an hour.

Jazakallahu Khair for the info sis.

asalam alaikum wr wb,

That doesn't seem right bro. A 16 year old shouldn't be whacked out after school like that. Definitely see the doctor and explain any other symptoms you have too. If your still not taken seriously, change your GP and demand blood tests. Be serious and say the symptoms are affecting your daily life. I'm sure no GP who respects his profession would fob you off after that.

It takes only one week to get blood results back. So you shouldn't have to wait too long after your appointment. And plz, don't follow the high-fat diet advice :skeleton:

InshaAllah if that's not the problem then we'll look at other options and treatments.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

aminahjaan
05-31-2008, 01:16 AM
That chart tells me I'm like underweight or on the verge of it!
yeesh.

Mikayeel
05-31-2008, 01:38 AM

I have to have my nap after college aswell, is der sumin wrong with that? cuz now u worry me lol! :P

maj232
05-31-2008, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

I have to have my nap after college aswell, is der sumin wrong with that? cuz now u worry me lol! :P
yeh, i guess many people do this after they come back from work or college/school.

Snowflake
05-31-2008, 12:00 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

yeh, i guess many people do this after they come back from work or college/school.
They do? :muddlehea

I doubt every one is suffering from 'physical' health problems though.
I think the problem is to do with deeper issues as to how the muslims are living their lives today. We are over-nourishing our bodies and starving our souls which leads a to a confused mind and a lazy body.

We are not correctly following the Islamic etiquette of eating, drinking, sleeping, praying, fulfilling the rights of others or ourselves, all which leads to weakness of the body, mind and soul.

For instance, for some time I had been suffering from terrible backache and blamed my mattress for it. It affected my whole day as I felt stiff and tired when walking and doing housework until..... I started sleeping the sunnah way as prescribed by the Prophet (PBUH). Voila! No more backache and resulting problems. SubhanAllah!

We need to change the way we do everyday things by adhering to the prescribed ways and inshaAllah, I am sure that these changes will lead to good health all around.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

aadil77
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
yh most people at you're age should be around 60kg+

liono79
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Assalaam o Laikum brother. Hope you and your familly are in good health.
I read through the post and I would say I was exactly in your scenario when I was around 16-17 age even younger.
At that age I was into sports alot, hence thats why I was very skinny. It wasnt that I was not eating but because I was always running around whether walking to school and back or playing football/ cricket before, during and after school.
I was called all sorts from twiglet, pepperoni, lanky, matchstick etc, etc you name it I was called it by friends. My bones too would stick out especially the ones by my neck (collar bones I think). I remember I could put my hands around my waist and my fingers would touch, scary hu. I tried everything from high protein drinks to bananas to even forcing food to make me gain weight. It just didnt work because like me at that age you have a very high metabolism.

I would say not to worry about your appearance too much. If you worry too much you will eventally just get depressed believe me I know, and regret it later. Be focused more on your studies and enjoying life at your age with your friends and familly.

If you want to gain weight, take it very slowly. Here are some tips:

Consider swapping your fizzy drinks sometimes for milkshakes.
Eat a wide variety of lean meats such as chicken, fish (cod, tuna etc), steak.

Dont miss your breakfast; its the most important meal of the day. It gives us vital energy that is used throughout the day. If your missing this I would advise you to start geting yourself in the habit of eating in the morning.

If you do alot of sports try and eat some pasta with protein, the day before or a few hours before a session and some protein after.
Get some fruit down you especially bananas.
Nuts such as almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc are all a good source of protein.

If you do weights, take things gradually, slowly building up reps and weight likewise. Dont stress your body by lifting too much weight. Focus on tecnique and breathing.

If you are feeling tired, maybe you are over exhausting your body and it is trying to tell you something, maybe a lack or iron or just complete exhaustion.
When our body cant get enough energy it consumes the muscles first and then body fat. If I was you I would probably not do weights. Weights should be done if you enjoy it or want to turn fat into muscle etc.
If you are underweight, you will only increase your metabolism and loose more weight etc.

As I said, take things slowly, eat slowly, dont over stress your body. I know smoking can make many loose weight so if you smoke, give it up!
Always remember, you are your own doctor. If you feel something is not right health wise, visit your doctor. If your not happy with his response, get a second opinion etc.

Please remember dont get too bogged down on your weight. People in this world come in all shapes and sizes, fat-thin, small-tall, dark-fair etc.
As long as you and your familly are in good health, be happy & thankfull to Allah swt.

Wasallam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!