/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taking a new name

Damon
05-30-2008, 12:54 AM
As salaam alaykum, dearest brothers and sisters!

I am American, and relatively new to Islam (reverted about 6 months ago) and I'm still learning. My name given to me by my parents is a name used in Greek pagan mythology (Damon), and I am wishing to change it. Now, I have only ever heard of people taking Arabic names as their new, Muslim name. I was wondering if it is permissible or common to choose, for example, a Bosnian or Chechen name? Now, I think Arabic names are beautiful, but I'd like a name closer to my ancestral home, and Bosnia and Chechnya are the closest Muslim areas to where my ancestors came from. Also, would it be offensive to people from Bosnia or Chechnya if I took a Bosnian or Chechen name but was not really from there?

Thank you all in advance for your advice!

-Damon

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amat Allah
05-30-2008, 04:10 AM
Asalamo Alikom Wa Rahmato Allah

see this link my dear and I hope it will be beneficent for you...

http://www.zawaj.com/articles/naming.html

may Allah grant you with satisfaction and happiness and protect you from all harms and reward you with the paradise

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee en

MustafaMc
05-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Assalamu alaikum, first congratulations on your reversion to Islam. I reverted to Islam 26 years ago, but only decided to legally change my name 4 years ago. My reason as that I wanted to be known as a Muslim. Your reason is a good one too. I assume from your post that Damon was a mythological god of the Greeks, if that is so then it is good to change your name.

------
05-30-2008, 08:47 AM
:salamext:

You can find some superb names here InshaaAllaah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
trust me if you read the lives of the sahaabi's you would definitly want their names!!!

i want their names!!

*considers changing name*

Damon
05-31-2008, 05:01 AM
I think I like Hasaam Udeen. :statisfie

So, how would that work? The construction of the name, I mean.

Hasaam Udeen *currentlastname*?

adeeb
05-31-2008, 05:54 AM
it's good idea to change your current name.. the name shouldn't contain name of god coz that's shirk...

u can choose any names as long as it's good meaning.... such as ahmad, muhammad, adeeb, hakeem, aneef, ali, or names of prophets and their companions... that will represent u as a muslim.., insya Allah

wth1257
05-31-2008, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb
it's good idea to change your current name.. the name shouldn't contain name of god coz that's shirk...

u can choose any names as long as it's good meaning.... such as ahmad, muhammad, adeeb, hakeem, aneef, ali, or names of prophets and their companions... that will represent u as a muslim.., insya Allah
Do you have to change your name?

Danah
05-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Congratulation on you conversion, May allah keep you in the right way......ameen
If you would like to change it to Bosnia or Chechnya name try to find a name with a good
meaning in sha allah

Woodrow
05-31-2008, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Damon
I think I like Hasaam Udeen. :statisfie

So, how would that work? The construction of the name, I mean.

Hasaam Udeen *currentlastname*?
:w:

That is correct. Islam places very high value on family ties and your last name should remain. the only exception would be if you had an offensive last name.

Khaldun
05-31-2008, 02:40 PM
:sl:

When getting a name, these are a few things to think about.

A) The name should not contain anything rude or bad in it. Such as 'Asiyah (meaning sinner)

B) The name should not contain anything declaring self piety, such as Birr (piety)

C) The name should not be associated with any disobedient people, like Ramses etc (the pharao)

D) If the name is only used by one religion, we should not take that name such as Christian etc

E) Names such as Asad-u-Allah (the lion of Allah) should be avoided aswell

F) If taking non arabic names, the meaning of the name must firstly be known, if there isnt any problem with the meaning one should look into what type of people take this name, is it only non muslims? Then we should leave it off, if not there is nothing wrong with the name

As a final not we should try and abstain from doubtful matters, and if its possible for us we should take Abdullah and Abdur-Rahmaan as names, because as our prophet mentioned these are the most beloved names to Allah.

Al-Zaara
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Damon
Now, I have only ever heard of people taking Arabic names as their new, Muslim name. I was wondering if it is permissible or common to choose, for example, a Bosnian or Chechen name?
Yes, it is allowed as long as it has a good meaning. You can take an Turkish or Albanian name for example, it's not up to the ethnic roots if it's a valid name.

Now, I think Arabic names are beautiful, but I'd like a name closer to my ancestral home, and Bosnia and Chechnya are the closest Muslim areas to where my ancestors came from. Also, would it be offensive to people from Bosnia or Chechnya if I took a Bosnian or Chechen name but was not really from there?
No, why would they? When asked by an Bosnian about your name, you could explain how you reverted and chose to take an name closest to your ancerstral home. A chance for dawah and also an good ice-breaker. :D

azhariq_4
06-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Congratulation And We Are Most Welcome You To Become A Muslim .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.