/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rare uncontacted tribe photographed in Amazon

MTAFFI
05-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Rare uncontacted tribe photographed in Amazon

Thu May 29, 6:21 PM ET

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Amazon Indians from one of the world's last uncontacted tribes have been photographed from the air, with striking images released on Thursday showing them painted bright red and brandishing bows and arrows.

The photographs of the tribe near the border between Brazil and Peru are rare evidence that such groups exist. A Brazilian official involved in the expedition said many of them are in increasing danger from illegal logging.

"What is happening in this region is a monumental crime against the natural world, the tribes, the fauna and is further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilized' ones, treat the world," Jose Carlos Meirelles was quoted as saying in a statement by the Survival International group.

One of the pictures, which can be seen on Survival International's Web site (http://www.survival-international.org), shows two Indian men covered in bright red pigment poised to fire arrows at the aircraft while another Indian looks on.

Another photo shows about 15 Indians near thatched huts, some of them also preparing to fire arrows at the aircraft.

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct," said Stephen Corry, the director of Survival International, which supports tribal people around the world.

Of more than 100 uncontacted tribes worldwide, more than half live in either Brazil or Peru, Survival International says. It says all are in grave danger of being forced off their land, killed and ravaged by new diseases.

(Reporting by Stuart Grudgings; editing by Sandra Maler)

Amazing

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
05-30-2008, 02:29 PM
That is truly amazing. I wasn't aware the Amazon still kept any of these tribes hidden.

Snowflake
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct,"
Good for them. If only say the same concern was shown about the lives of people in occupied muslim territories.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Izyan
05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
asalam alaikum wr wb,

Good for them. If only say the same concern was shown about the lives of people in occupied muslim territories.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.
I hate to tell you this but the muslim world has not been cut off from the rest of the world for 1000 years and if it was cut off now it would suffer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
05-30-2008, 03:16 PM
That's truly fascinating! We didn't know about them, and probably they had no clue about us either..? Wow! :D

Thanks for the news.

Woodrow
05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
The tribe has been discovered and will never been the same again.

Is that good or bad, it will all depend on what do gooders decide to rescue them and bring them into contact with the world. The end result will be a loss of a life style that has worked, if they gain will depend on the intent and methods of the "heros" that decide to save then. sadly history does not seem to show much good having come in the past and only the destruction of a people.

Umar001
05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I wonder what they thought the plane was, an evil spirit/angel?

Ninth_Scribe
05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
asalam alaikum wr wb,
wa alaikum asalam wr wb.
Don't get too excited. There won't be any real intervention. There are other tribes trying to stop the building of a dam - because it would force them out, but do you think these multi-billion dollar corporations and the government are going to care about the plight of those people? They're slogan has always been: Show me the money! and that's what they'll say this time. It's just international blackmail.

The government of Brazil seeks to use this natural resource to generate massive amounts of hydroelectric power, planning more than 70 large dams, and dozens of smaller ones throughout the central and northern parts of the country. One of these is the proposed Paranatinga II dam. Located on the Culuene River, a tributary of the Xingu, Paranatinga II would destroy an area sacred to 14 tribal groups. The same tribes also oppose the much larger proposed dam downstream, Belo Monte, which would displace indigenous communities. A June 2007 declaration by tribal groups states: “We indigenous peoples wish to live and to breathe the Xingu River. Its waters are the source of our life and we don’t want to die. We will not give up on life and we will not abandon our struggle.

Source: http://www.sacredland.org/world_sites_pages/Xingu.html
The Ninth Scribe

Keltoi
05-30-2008, 04:47 PM
I would think the first thing they need to do is give them some protection from outside diseases. That usually occurs fairly quickly after first contact.

MTAFFI
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I have to hand it to them, they saw either a plane or helicopter and rather than run, instead they put on war paint and got out their bows and arrows :) Pretty brave if you ask me.. Might have thought they were going to be eating some kind of monster bird for the next generation or two :D

As for what will happen to them now, well, sadly they will probably eventually cease to exist, either disease or the destruction of their natural resources..

Imagine bringing them into modern civilization, what a total shell shock something like that would be

Amazing

Whatsthepoint
05-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I wonder what they thing airplanes are..

Woodrow
05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I recall back in the 1950s a tribe was found, one of the tribal leaders was brought to New York. He was overwhelmed and died very soon after getting to NY. Modern life was fully incompatable for him.

Mikayeel
05-30-2008, 09:03 PM
loool, they reacted to the plane, the same as we would react to an ufo ship!

truemuslim
05-30-2008, 09:07 PM
^ ahahahaa loool yeh! hahaha

Thats crazy! subhanallah! so they never ever knew we existed and we never knew they existed! subhanallah!!
We should teach em islam.. :)

Intisar
05-30-2008, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I wonder what they thought the plane was, an evil spirit/angel?
They probably just thought they were outsiders/invaders, hence the spears. They were probably trying to defend themselves.

InshaaAllaah, they are shown the truth of Islaam and their lifestyles are not disrupted. People's like these can be made extinct by coming into contact with a mere common cold. Hopefully, someone will not take it upon themself to try to 'help' these people.

I hope that they are just left alone inshaaAllaah. :)

Umar001
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
They probably just thought they were outsiders/invaders, hence the spears. They were probably trying to defend themselves.
Yes, but what type of invaders? I wonder, wish I knew. Like, boy, imagine that, just seeing something you had never imagined existed. SubhanAllah. Wow.

MTAFFI
05-30-2008, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Yes, but what type of invaders? I wonder, wish I knew. Like, boy, imagine that, just seeing something you had never imagined existed. SubhanAllah. Wow.
they probably said:
Slippery Snake: "These look like the kind of invaders that will bring horrible diseases and deception

Running Jaguar: "And with that crazy flying bird made of rock, they probably also bring mass destruction and war machines beyond our comprehension...

Throwing Stone: "They are probably scouting to rob us of our land and resources"

Anonymous : "GRAB MY BOW AND SPEAR"

Mikayeel
05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
^loool to much apacolypto bro!!

Umar001
05-30-2008, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
they probably said:
Slippery Snake: "These look like the kind of invaders that will bring horrible diseases and deception

Running Jaguar: "And with that crazy flying bird made of rock, they probably also bring mass destruction and war machines beyond our comprehension...

Throwing Stone: "They are probably scouting to rob us of our land and resources"

Anonymous : "GRAB MY BOW AND SPEAR"
Or:

"Look at that big one, that would keep us fed for years! No hunting just chilling, someone phone the newspaper, we've got a new species for dinner!"

MTAFFI
05-30-2008, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar
^loool to much apacolypto bro!!
what is kinda funny is i just watched it like last week.. :D

Keltoi
05-31-2008, 01:40 AM
I would imagine they have understood for a long period of time that there are "others" beyond the great jungle.

Malaikah
05-31-2008, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I would imagine they have understood for a long period of time that there are "others" beyond the great jungle.
But what kind of others exactly? I can't imagine they have even been exposed to something like that. They might not have even realised that there were humans in there!

I think it's simply amazing! I recall watching something about a tribe in PNG a while ago, who also had no contact with the outside world. The most interesting part was how they were awed that one of the men had white skin and it was the first time they had seen that. When they heard about him, they thought he must have been a ghost or something.

What I find so interesting is how it reflects on human nature and gender roles.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.