/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Maths Questions HELP

Umar001
06-01-2008, 07:29 PM
as Salam Alaykum,

Just need help with this I'm clueless:

These are the terms and I have to connect them with the meaning:

Quota Sampling, Systematic Sampling, Convenience Sampling, Simple Random Sampling.

1/In this type of sampling, every member of the population has an equal chance of being selected. A random number table may be used to select the sample.

2/This method of sampling is often used in market reseach. The interviewer questions a certain number of people. The people could be of a certain age, gender or social class. The interview chooses the sample of people to be asked.

3/The sameple is chosen in the simplest possible way. Forexample, a company is researching the popularity of different brands of cola. An interviewr stands inside a supermarket and asks 100 customers for their preferences.

4/In this type of sampling, every member of the sample is chosen at regular intervals from a list.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
:wasalamex

Quota Sampling, Systematic Sampling, Convenience Sampling, Simple Random Sampling.

1/In this type of sampling, every member of the population has an equal chance of being selected. A random number table may be used to select the sample.

2/This method of sampling is often used in market reseach. The interviewer questions a certain number of people. The people could be of a certain age, gender or social class. The interview chooses the sample of people to be asked.

3/The sample is chosen in the simplest possible way. Forexample, a company is researching the popularity of different brands of cola. An interviewr stands inside a supermarket and asks 100 customers for their preferences.

4/In this type of sampling, every member of the sample is chosen at regular intervals from a list.

-------------

I did Statistics in college, and got an A, Alhamdulillah. So I think that is right inshaaAllaah. I'll try and explain it:

Quota = a prescribed number;

Systematic = regular intervals

Convinience = they want to ask about cola, so they stand outside a supermarket from where people are likely to know about it

Simple random = everyone has a chance as it is random

Umar001
06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -
:salamext:

3/The sample is chosen in the simplest possible way. Forexample, a company is researching the popularity of different brands of cola. An interviewr stands inside a supermarket and asks 100 customers for their preferences.

-------------

I did Statistics in college, and got an A, Alhamdulillah. So I think that is right inshaaAllaah. I'll try and explain it:

Convinience = they want to ask about cola, so they stand outside a supermarket from where people are likely to know about it

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Wanna help with the rest of my paper? Gotta be in on Tuesday :(

------
06-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Lol, did u understand what I said though? The way I explained it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
06-01-2008, 07:44 PM
:wasalamex

-------------

Yo! sister can you do my assignments pleeeeaase...just messing, mashallah an A* for statistics :)

------
06-01-2008, 07:45 PM

^ A lol, not A* (Alhamdulillaah)

Umar001
06-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Lol, did u understand what I said though? The way I explained it?
Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Yep, I missed the classes so I'm clueless.

------
06-02-2008, 08:09 AM

^ Try and attend the classes now inshaAllaah...lol it's not as boring as you think...

Umar001
06-02-2008, 08:18 AM

^ Try and attend the classes now inshaAllaah...lol it's not as boring as you think...

I wasn't feeling good that's why I couldnt attend, and we have no more classes now. Yay.

------
06-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Lol Khayr inshaaAllaah, ask if you need any more help.

Umar001
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM

(i) What is the probability that Peter gets two heads?
(ii) What is the probability that peter gets two tails?

crayon
06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
i- .49
ii- .09
?
I think...
Math isn't one of my strong points, but I'm giving it a guess anyway!:P

edit- shall I explain how I got that?

------
06-02-2008, 02:44 PM

The probability that the coin lands heads is 0.7. Peter throws the coin twice.

0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49

0.3 x 0.3 = 0.09

------------

Make dua for me. Assalamu Alaikum.

Umar001
06-02-2008, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
i- .49
ii- .09
?
I think...
Math isn't one of my strong points, but I'm giving it a guess anyway!:P

edit- shall I explain how I got that?
Erm yea explain, cos I dont even get the 0.7 they give.

Edit:I get it, you took 0.7 and times it by itself?

Then took the remaining from 0.7 to 1 which is the tails which is 0.3 and then times it by itself?

WOOOOHOOOOO Takbir! I hear Ali may Allah be pleased with him was good at maths.

Nerd
06-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Probability of getting:
Head = 0.7
Tail = 0.3

Say he got head first, and than a another head if so probability would be 0.7 multiplied by 0.7 = 0.49

For two tails simply multiply 0.3 to 0.3 = 0.09

Hope thats correct

------
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
You don't need to get that bro. It is a biased coin, which means it won't give the same 0.5 and 0.5 result as normal coins do.

Nerd
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM

I get it, you took 0.7 and times it by 2?

Then took the remaining from 0.7 to 1 which is the tails which is 0.3 and then times it by two?
Probability is measured from 0 to 1.

0 being there is no probability that it occurs and 1 being the that the event would definitely occur.

0.7 is the chance or probability that the coin would land on its head when it is tossed. And we derive the probability of it landing on its tail by simply subtracting 0.7 from 1 .

Umar001
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
You don't need to get that bro. It is a biased coin, which means it won't give the same 0.5 and 0.5 result as normal coins do.
I get that sis, jazakumullahu khayr/

------
06-02-2008, 02:51 PM

The probability that the coin lands heads is 0.7. Peter throws the coin twice.

0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49

0.3 x 0.3 = 0.09
You want me to explain how I got that?

Umar001
06-02-2008, 02:52 PM
You want me to explain how I got that?

Edit:I get it, you took 0.7 and times it by itself?

Then took the remaining from 0.7 to 1 which is the tails which is 0.3 and then times it by itself?

WOOOOHOOOOO Takbir! I hear Ali may Allah be pleased with him was good at maths.
I got it right yea? If not then explain please.

------
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM

MashaaAllaah yeh, that's correct.

And SubhaanAllaah at Ali (RadiAllaahu Anhu) being good at maths =)

Umar001
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM

MashaaAllaah yeh, that's correct.

And SubhaanAllaah at Ali (RadiAllaahu Anhu) being good at maths =)

Am glad I got it and Im not saying Ali was good I dont know but I heard so.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.