/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how u revise

Mikayeel
06-04-2008, 12:51 AM
:sl:

I am interested in how u guys actuall revisie prior to exams.

I have been speaking to alot of friends of late to gain usefull revision tips:)

The way i always revise(if i am motivated nd plan to do very well) i start 3/4 weeks before the exams, and read of my notes time nd time agian. So basicly i memorise the book (not word by word but close to it). In that 4 weeks i will read the book about 4 times a day.. I dnt write anything down while i revise(no words or fancy diagrams).

What i have noticed with most of my friends is, that they start about 3/4 days before exams nd get really on with it, like 10 hours a day of revision. This way i would never be able to do, because if it gets that close to an exam nd i havent done anything i mentally give up!

So gaves share ur revision techniques in the hope of me nd many other will benefit from it inshAllah! :)

:w::)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Mashallah bro u got some nice ways of revising...boring...and hard...but worth it!

Well i'm don wit my exams....i hope...
but i didn't really study or nothin. its boring...i just sat there wit my ipod (yeh teacher yellin every two seconds...almost took my ipod but ..hehe. i convinced him not to :Evil:) and i guessed on every answer (mayb like two left unguesed) but i passed...i think my teachers are playin me! My god! They so mean! But hey, when i dont graduate i blame it on them! LOL . joking! :Evil: im so mean :D

jzcasejz
06-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Well my answer is that, I don't. I never really revised for any of my exams (EVER!), and I'm doing the exact same with my A2 exams.

So... D/E grades, here I come!

truemuslim
06-04-2008, 01:19 AM
^ d/e ??? WhAt?! LOL whats E??

Oh lemme guess...the grade system in the uk different??? you got E's dont u?! LOL

I cant ever revise. its boring and useless, i usually forget everything the next minute anyway

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jzcasejz
06-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah, gradings are different here.

format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
I cant ever revise. its boring and useless
Yay, join the club.

truemuslim
06-04-2008, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Yeah, gradings are different here.

Yay, join the club.

Oh really? Wow i thought a sis was kiddin when she said she gets E's . lol
here its A B C D and F's....i think whoever made it up forgot the E coz they didnt go to sschool. lol

Lol btw

truthforpeace
06-04-2008, 05:24 AM
i write everything down, because I am a visual and kinesthetic learner.

Al-Zaara
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar
The way i always revise(if i am motivated nd plan to do very well) i start 3/4 weeks before the exams, and read of my notes time nd time agian. So basicly i memorise the book (not word by word but close to it). In that 4 weeks i will read the book about 4 times a day.. I dnt write anything down while i revise(no words or fancy diagrams).
Does it work for you? If yes, then congratulations! Continue with that.
You give yourself plenty of time and let the information really get in.

What i have noticed with most of my friends is, that they start about 3/4 days before exams nd get really on with it, like 10 hours a day of revision.
The way your friends revise, 3-4 days beforehand or even the day before the exam, is what my teachers always called "to puke on the test". You get everything in fast and right before the exam comes, then you just puke the information all over and afterwards you'll be like you haven't learned anything.

The point is to learn and remember your knowledge years ahead. Now think, the last exam do you remember even half of the information you learned? If not, ncncnc (tsk tsk tsk) shame on you.

This way i would never be able to do, because if it gets that close to an exam nd i havent done anything i mentally give up!
Don't even think about doing it then! You have found your way of revising, and if it works, keep it.

i write everything down, because I am a visual and kinesthetic learner.
When I start on time, I write aswell. Small notes everywhere, different colours and sizes.

While reading a chapter, I underline words/sentences with colour-higlighters or just with a simple black pen.

After reading a chapter, I write a short summary.

I add important terms in a list, write down the page were you can find it (the term) and just shortly what it means. I do this after every chapter.

After I have read through the whole book twice, I look at my short notes and that terms-list and see how well I have learned, what still seems a bit unclear.

After a third time reading through the book, I write down questions to each chapter. I answer them later on.

At times I also combinate subjects. For example, we go through a lot of history in the mother-langue aswell, so I make sure I read my homework well and each time I read something in a subject, I try to remember what it was said about it in the other subject.. Get me? But you gotta do this from day one, to start doing this the last week won't be of benefit.

All this has to be done in time.. I usually give myself 1 - 2 months or at least a few weeks.

When reading through the book, doing those notes and so on, I have done this while 5 hours straight every day or every second day during 1 - 2 months. Otherwise it can depend a lot, at least 2-3 hours a day.

I eat well before I start and maybe get myself some coffee.

Normally, 1 - 2 hours straight ain't enough, I feel confused at the end of the day, it feels like I haven't concentrated knowing there are 24 hours in a day, I spend about 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours school and then I'm left with about 8 hours to study.

Stop watching TV or listen to music, that's my best advice. Avoid the Net aswell as much as you can, at least do not go to MSN.

aadil77
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I think the best way to revise is to do EVERY single past exam paper,
that way you'll know what questions are gonna come up and how to answer them according to the mark schemes:thumbs_up

http://www.freeexampapers.com/ this site is loaded with them, or you can go to your specific exam boards site for more

works for me. give it a go:thumbs_up

------
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
:salamext:

• Plenty of past papers
  • Powerpoint presentations
  • Little revision cards that you can carry around with you
  • Those...erm....things you make up to give your mind a hint that go down and across

Like this;

M y
V ery
E asy
M ethod
J ust
S peeds
U p
N aming
P lanets

Ok I know that's old lol...but as an example ^ that would be used to remember the order of the planet names, etc.

crayon
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I highlight the important stuff in textbooks right after I take the lesson in school. Then on the weekend before the exam I read all the material over. The night before I read it over again, concentrate on the important stuff. Pretty much it, really.

If it's math or physics I just solve different kinds of questions, and do more of the kind I have trouble with.

BlackMamba
06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Stop talking about this stuff...Finals are over! I dont wanna worry bout this stuff till next year lol

Lonely Gal
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
bak in the days wen i studied lol... i used to write things down and cut the notes each time, I'd finally end up with key points on revision cards which I'd carry them around with me all the time and just keep goin over them. I was sad enough to even take them work with me so that when I wasn't serving customers I was revising!! I learnt through pictures and diagrams.. and memorising stuff so when I got in the exam i could write all the points down and pick the ones necessary.
I weren't a geek tho lol.. Oh and I can only study few days before the actual exam, anything earlier would go out ma brain by the exams time!
Also a key point in exams, always do a plan so if u run out of time the examiner can see what u were thinking of writing.

Lonely Gal
06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
lol i used that rhyme to member the planets

Mikayeel
06-04-2008, 01:16 PM

I am very happy with ur replies:D, thanks for sharing...

Lonely Gal, mashAllah that u can manage days before exam... man i just realize everyone is soo different when it comes down to revision:)

aadil77 and - Serene - yep thats right, plenty of past papers! They make exams soo easy.. however with me i cant just start of with past papers they have to be my last bit of revision after i covered everything!

I got one more exam left on friday, desicion maths....(lots of rubish put together!) so inshAllah i do well:)

:w:

afzalaung
06-04-2008, 02:15 PM
My exams are in like...5 days... and i started revising over a month ago....and i still havent covered all of what i'm suppose to study. I think my brains' refusing to accept more input..:S

well..what i do is.. highlight the main points...write them out in a note book...preferentially with pictures and use 2-3 types of pen. and when the exams like just a day away..i'ill just read up what i wrote rather then read back the bulky lot.
iA...hope thats effective method...otherwise may GOd have mercy on my soul...:|

afzalaung
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Yay, join the club.

is membership still open?:exhausted

------
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
:salamext:

I would like to share something wonderful that happened with me in one of my A Level Exams. Since we had some family problems, I couldn't revise properly, because my mind was tensed. I did, however, do some random past paper questions out of some random past papers, the day before the exam.

When I opened the test paper...75% of the questions (roughly) were exactly the same as the ones I did out of the past papers. I did the test paper.

We had 6 people in our class. They had their own different ethods of revising. When the results came, everyone else received Ungraded (U), which is a fail, and I received a C.

Alhamdulillaahi Rabbil Aalameen.

Indeed, Allaah helps those who put their trust in Him.

Souljette
06-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Whoa mashallah i know most of the questions in the exams come from past test papers I also see it in my exams now so i just revise through the sheets most of the time and look into the txt book from time to time

Ayoub
06-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I Finished Today!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nájlá
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
ur sooo lucky
i have still got 2 exams left all in this month i have a textiles exam on monday.

when i revise i listen to nasheeds and read through books. and make notes and after i have done all my reading and making notes i test myself. i also go and revise on bitesize its a good website its very useful.

Silver
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
When I was in school, I only studied in the 2 weeks prior to the exams and neglected my studies the rest of the semester. It worked for me and I was 1st in my class. I can't do that anymore.
Even though, I am still a 1st year med student and the things i have to study now are a lot less than what's coming later it's still a lot of work.
What I do is study day by day and about a month before the exams I start working extra-hard in order to finish everything a week before the start of the exams.
That way i am comfortable during the exams period. It's working pretty well for me cos my grades are still as good as they were in school but after the exams are over i'm usually exhausted. I also drink lots of coffee when I am in the exams period which is NOW. Wish me luck!!

truthforpeace
06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lara
when I Was In School, I Only Studied In The 2 Weeks Prior To The Exams And Neglected My Studies The Rest Of The Semester. It Worked For Me And I Was 1st In My Class. I Can't Do That Anymore.
Even Though, I Am Still A 1st Year Med Student And The Things I Have To Study Now Are A Lot Less Than What's Coming Later It's Still A Lot Of Work.
What I Do Is Study Day By Day And About A Month Before The Exams I Start Working Extra-hard In Order To Finish Everything A Week Before The Start Of The Exams.
That Way I Am Comfortable During The Exams Period. It's Working Pretty Well For Me Cos My Grades Are Still As Good As They Were In School But After The Exams Are Over I'm Usually Exhausted. I Also Drink Lots Of Coffee When I Am In The Exams Period Which Is Now. Wish Me Luck!!
Good Luck On Your Exams Sister!!!:)

Silver
06-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Good Luck On Your Exams Sister!!!
Thx :)

seeker_of_ilm
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM

My revision method:

Procrastinate until 3 days before the exam.
Make coffee.
Past papers.

Enough said.

Silver
06-04-2008, 06:00 PM
My revision method:

Procrastinate until 3 days before the exam.
Make coffee.
Past papers.

Enough said.
My good old method. I miss it... i still keep the coffe part.

Mikayeel
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
lool, some interesting shares:)

-Serene- mashAllah thats really good!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.