/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Olympics

islamirama
06-04-2008, 04:05 AM
2008 Olympics

The Chinese must have put in great effort and spent a huge amount of money to create this beautiful landscaped garden with Chinese cultural/social themes.

This year will be the most impressive in the history of the Olympics.

More Pictures @ http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...amirama/China/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
06-04-2008, 04:37 AM
If only beautiful gardens could mask their human rights record in Tibet.

islamirama
06-04-2008, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
If only beautiful gardens could mask their human rights record in Tibet.
I see with you, the glass is always half empty when it comes to non-western, non-americans...

afzalaung
06-04-2008, 05:02 AM
most impressive..and most repressive.
the global community never considers how many poor ppl they might have evacuated or mpved with force to make space for the olympic village.
nor will the consider that most of the bombs and weapons arming the Burmese junta to kill the civilians are contributions from china

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
06-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Both China and Tibet should stop politicizing the Olympic Games...

When the ancient greeks organised the olympics...they stopped the wars and competed together in the olympics in a friendly manner...

truthforpeace
06-04-2008, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by afzalaung
most impressive..and most repressive.
the global community never considers how many poor ppl they might have evacuated or mpved with force to make space for the olympic village.
nor will the consider that most of the bombs and weapons arming the Burmese junta to kill the civilians are contributions from china
mmmhmmm!

afzalaung
06-04-2008, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Both China and Tibet should stop politicizing the Olympic Games...

When the ancient greeks organised the olympics...they stopped the wars and competed together in the olympics in a friendly manner...
olympics was also once a tribute to the greek Deities...
times has changed alot since those days...
those days it was ok to invade countries...

and plus we can't deny China's 'i-dont-care' attitude towards international criticism of its human rights.

I'm sure some, if not all of those bricks at the stadium were made by the 'slave's' or forced labours at the hundreds of brick kilns.
I'm sure too that one of those seats in the stadium was paid for by the bullet that went through a protester's head in tibet...and by a mortar lauched by the burmese army that killed a family at the karen border...

God knows how much more of this olympic is stained with blood.

Tania
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
When will begin the olympics :?

Ali.
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
This year, 24th August.

Keltoi
06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I see with you, the glass is always half empty when it comes to non-western, non-americans...
No, I just don't consider gardens or hedge sculptures impressive enough to give China a pass on their human rights record. Im sure the Olympics will be successful. I also think this is the perfect time to pressure the Chinese government to make changes in their domestic policies.

AvarAllahNoor
06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
No, I just don't consider gardens or hedge sculptures impressive enough to give China a pass on their human rights record. Im sure the Olympics will be successful. I also think this is the perfect time to pressure the Chinese government to make changes in their domestic policies.
We can discuss USA, UK, Germany, French domestic policies, they were all once very colourful. China is a world power. They've been trying to reachout to the west these past few months. And they've had a devastating eathquake killing thousands.

islamirama
06-05-2008, 04:23 AM
If you are concerned about human rights and domestic policies then why don't you start from home first, US is quick to point fingers at others but it's own domestic policies, human rights abuse with illegal immigrants and "prisoners of war" puts china to shame.

north_malaysian
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
08.08.08 (which means "Lucky! Lucky! Lucky! in Chinese)

Tania
06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
08.08.08 (which means "Lucky! Lucky! Lucky! in Chinese)
I want to see the gymnastics .:) and the syncronised swimming.

north_malaysian
06-06-2008, 12:56 AM
I hope my country could get our first gold medal in badminton!

afzalaung
06-06-2008, 03:13 AM
i hope my country don't get any medals at all ...i dont want the govt to take any credits.

north_malaysian
06-06-2008, 04:07 AM
...i dont want the govt to take any credits.
:) ok...well said!

Tania
06-06-2008, 04:14 AM
I hope my country could get our first gold medal in badminton!
I don't think we have a team for badminton. At gymnastics we have high hopes :)

north_malaysian
06-06-2008, 04:21 AM
I don't think we have a team for badminton. At gymnastics we have high hopes :)
When it comes to Olympics, Malaysia could only gain some medals in Badminton. Malaysia sucks in other kind of sports in olympic levels.

I think that every single Malaysian know how to play badminton...both male and female.

Tania
06-06-2008, 04:31 AM
I expected the malaysians to be good at swimming, the canoe competitions - at sports related to water. :)

north_malaysian
06-06-2008, 04:45 AM
I expected the malaysians to be good at swimming, the canoe competitions - at sports related to water. :)
in SEA (South East Asia) Games only... we're good in swimming, gymnastic and diving!

afzalaung
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
:) ok...well said!
thanks...
currently the recluse leader's taking credit for his administration's 'extraordinary' relief efforts for the victims of a disaster that struck.
HECK! he even ordered the people to organise a thanksgiving ceremony..where the people will bow in front of him.
:raging::raging::raging:

Tania
06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
HECK! he even ordered the people to organise a thanksgiving ceremony..where the people will bow in front of him.
:raging::raging::raging:
The thanksgiving cermonies are funny. You can have a lot of laugh and talk with your friends until its the time to make your appearance :) :giggling:

afzalaung
06-06-2008, 03:15 PM
The thanksgiving cermonies are funny. You can have a lot of laugh and talk with your friends until its the time to make your appearance :) :giggling:
erm..its not really that informal...that thing was more formal...from what i know of such ceremonies.
the 'loser' will sit infront of the hall...on a raise platform, sometimes on a throne.and the ppl put their forehead at the floor infront of him.

*just imagine instead of the monk, it would be some general with his hands stained with civilian blood*

------
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
:salamext:

Oh, WOW. The first post pictures are simply amazing, mashaaAllaah.

Tania
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
erm..its not really that informal...that thing was more formal...from what i know of such ceremonies.
the 'loser' will sit infront of the hall...on a raise platform, sometimes on a throne.and the ppl put their forehead at the floor infront of him.
Doesn't look good :-\. We did something like that:

north_malaysian
06-06-2008, 11:27 PM

*just imagine instead of the monk, it would be some general with his hands stained with civilian blood*
This is the Thai way of showing their respect to grand monks and kings. It's the only culture doing it in Asia...:exhausted

afzalaung
06-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Doesn't look good :-\. We did something like that:
that looks funner

This is the Thai way of showing their respect to grand monks and kings. It's the only culture doing it in Asia...:exhausted
not just thai btw;)
its not just culture..its highly religious...they assume the person bowed to ...is semi-god..or god's Chosen One...
in my country the custom is to bow to the national flag after the anthem...muslims just stand erect...they used to have issues with that...nowadays they just let us be:D

Wait...i think i've caused us to de tour far from the original topic:phew:X:exhausted

Malaikah
06-07-2008, 02:10 AM
No, I just don't consider gardens or hedge sculptures impressive enough to give China a pass on their human rights record.
Like you can talk... as if the USA has a clean record.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.