/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Museum Thread

جوري
06-05-2008, 03:18 AM
I have had a few of these threads going usually higlighting on going exhibits like the recent Tapestry in the Baroque: Threads of Splendor which was a once in a life time from October 17, 2007–January 6, 2008 .. most of the pieces went back to the palaces from whence they came..

I think it is a really neat way to study history ( I always did enjoy story books with pictures) I digress.. I thought I'd share with you a fraction of my favorite pieces (not all of course) some are only interesting in historical value like Van Eyck's 'Arnolfini Wedding Portait' I don't imagine many people like to look at a painting like that.. but it is interesting on many levels..

Anyhow I do hope you'll share some of yours favs with me.. if you are not Muslim and like wise enjoy art history, please be selective on the pieces you choose to disclose here...

if you know a little something about the history of it, then tell us briefly or share with us why you like it..

well without further ado

here is one by Whistler
Nocturne: Blue and Gold Old Battersea Bridge

the brits on board probably recognize this?

whistler actually has quite a few nocturnes going

really quite haunting in person.. I saw a couple of his at the freer Sackler museum in DC amongst other things.. they have quite a large 'Asian' collection which includes a small wing for Islamic art..

I'll probably share some 'Asian/Japanese' Art next..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
06-05-2008, 03:37 AM

Butterflies, Lilies and Rock By Shangrui (active ca. 1689-1732)
China, Qing dynasty, 1717

also in the freer and sackler..there were many more splendid, really enchanting ones..

Khayal
06-05-2008, 03:42 AM
:sl:

Wow! wonderful thread and awesome sharing...I like the idea very much.:)

جوري
06-05-2008, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal
:sl:

Wow! wonderful thread and awesome sharing...I like the idea very much.:)

shokran ukhty.. you have always been a great friend and support to me..
for some reason I can't find any of the Japanese pieces I like on google images.. I suppose I either have to enter them in Japanese or just take pictures and upload them directly... hmmmmmmmm

freer and sackler also had a huge exhibit on the Mughal, including their poetry.. you have to sport little magnfying glasses to see them, the details were so tiny and really amazing...:statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pen Marks
06-05-2008, 03:59 AM
mashallah i love your idea :D
iv seen Japanese wallpaper be4 der really beuitiful!

جوري
06-05-2008, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mu'minah421
mashallah i love your idea :D
iv seen Japanese wallpaper be4 der really beuitiful!
shokran ukhty.. Japanese art is very distinguished, I don't think it gets much recognition.. I enjoy that it is so monochromatic, haunting and very telling at least to me..

I like muted art that isn't too busy looking.. I am not really much a fan of modern art, although I know someone who is a close friend to the daughter of Mark Rothko and perhaps he is one of the few whose ridiculous work I find a little tasteful.. but I guess it is because he always had an interesting story to go with each piece.. I'll share some of his stuff later... he kind of ranks toward the bottom..

Anyhow... I hope other members will share their fav pieces.. I don't want this to be a one person show..

crayon
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Lovely thread!! This one isn't historical, but it's possibly one of my favorite paintings ever.

David Hockney, A Bigger Splash

crayon
06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Two more awesome Hockneys, Sprinkled and Pearblossom Highway:

crayon
06-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Some photos:

Elliot Erwitt

Oded Balilty
"The Pulitzer Prize awarded to Oded Balilty of The Associated Press for his powerful photograph of a lone Jewish woman defying Israeli security forces as they remove illegal settlers in the West Bank."

جوري
06-05-2008, 08:05 PM
^^ thanks.. that is what I am talking about :smile:

the temple of dendur at the met, is one of my favorite hang outs.. I always ask my friends to meet me there if they have never been to NY before, because you simply can't miss it..
the temple was given to the United States by Egypt in 1965, awarded to The Metropolitan, based on a corroboration effort to save another temple in Egypt from a flood.. which is nice for a change accounting for the fact that 1/3 of Egyptian monuments are stolen and can be found in various Museums around the world... some egyptian mummies were used as fuel for trains or in cosmetics when the brits occupied egypt if you can believe it.. but I don't want to turn this political

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.