/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does an American look like?

Woodrow
06-05-2008, 01:48 PM
The only purpose of this thread is to show that we all have stereo typical views of people. very few people ever match the stereotype of any group.

I am only using American's as an example. It seems that most people view American's as being:

White, rich, Christian, Evangelical, immoral, militant and capitalistic

White? Just how many are white? 20% of us are Hispanic, 15% are Afro-American, 4% are Asian and nearly 10% of us are Native American or Pacific Islanders. The rest of us seem to be mixed race.

At least 20% of us are foreign born immigrants. Most of us are only second or third generation settlers.

Do you see Americans as being white? What about us? we are Americans:

Perhaps you think of Americans as being rich? We are Americans:

Yes, poverty is a reality in America, just as it is for millions of other human beings on the planet. According to the US Census Bureau, 35.9 million people live below the poverty line in America, including 12.9 million children.

The truth is many if not most Americans are not:

White, rich, Christian, Evangelical, immoral, militant and capitalistic

Stereotypical views about any people are usually wrong and just apply to a small minority. May all of us learn to see each person as an individual and understand that our views about any group are probably jaded and biased.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amat Allah
06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Asalamo Alikom

May all of us learn to see each person as an individual and understand that our views about any group are probably jaded and biased.
absolutely right my brother....

I`ve never thought like that about Americans...Alhamdo lellah

all the people are equal to me no matter what they are, who they are ....

may Allah guide us all to the right path....

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Woodrow
06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
We all have stereotypical views about some group. That statement in itself is a stereotypical view, as there may be exceptions to it.

Let us all try to overcome our thoughts based upon the actions of a few remember, there are no individuals that accuratly represent all people of any National, ethnic, or religious background.

Each of us is individual and each of us will or should be judged upon our own deeds or misdeeds, not on the doings of others that carry the same name as us.

Nájlá
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
ur sooooo right brother.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nawal89
06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
awesomeee woodrow!
But in my experience a lot of people put american in that white rich etc category because thats the americans they see that come to their country. You dont see american indians and hardly american chinese coming to Malaysia for a vacation really. You see white rich christian people who wear skimply clothes and straw hats and are very big in size! lol.

truemuslim
06-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Mashallah bro
THats an AMAZING post!
Jazakallah khair!!
its just soo true!

Stereotype is just everywhere!
JAzakallah khair for this bro :)

north_malaysian
06-06-2008, 04:10 AM
For me, Americans had been "multiracial people" since I was a kid. Thanks to the Sesame Street.

smile
06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
..just like ppl think all muslim s live in the middle east
and lions roam around freely in africa

Amat Allah
06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
^^...

aamirsaab
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
:sl:
I like threads like these :)

------
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
:salamext:

Ameen to the dua Uncle Woodrow. Seriously, we are too quick to stereotype people. May Allaah guide us. imsad

Woodrow
06-06-2008, 03:58 PM
We all make the error of stereotyping based upon preconceptions, media and some people we meet.

It makes no differnce if it is about Americans, Europeans, Mid-easternerners, Malaysians, Muslims, Christians, etc.

Stereotyping is a general human trait (Even saying that is a tereotypical observation).

The best way to avoid stereotyping other people, is by recognising we do make stereotypical judgements about others and to learn to treat each person as an individual and not as a group.

crayon
06-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice thread!

When I moved to saudi arabia for the first time, I was in the 2nd grade. My friends and teacher in canada sent me letters. The teacher asked me what kind of "shelter" we lived in, and if I rode a camel to school. It was amusing because the compound I lived in in saudi was about the size of the entire town i used to live in in canada, and my school was gigantic.

Amat Allah
06-07-2008, 03:59 AM
The best way to avoid stereotyping other people, is by recognising we do make stereotypical judgements about others and to learn to treat each person as an individual and not as a group.
you are right...

and everyone should think over and over befor Judging people and see ,is it fair to acuse him with that bad deed or name....

If I am a christian ,American or British then I am the squatter of Iraq...
If I am a Jewish or Israeli then I am the one who is killing the Palestinians....
If I am a Muslim or Arabian then I am the terroristic....

many people thinking like that may Allah guide us and them and all we have to do is to correct their wrong conceptes and give them our advices not threaten them or fight with them like some muslims do may Allah guide us and them...

Allah has sent to us our dear prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) who taught us to deal with the others to talk with them with wisdom and moralism...

and Allah says:"[12] O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions; indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting). And fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful."

Al Hujorat

so, it is not right to suspicion the others Muslims or not...

and some people may Allah guide us and them intending blemishing the image of the others.....why??
to spread tumult(Al Fitnah) amongest people...alas!

and all of this from shaitan(AOTHO BELLAH)....
Allah says:"[53] And say to My slaves (i.e. the true believers of Islâmic Monotheism) that they should (only) say those words that are the best. (Because) Shaitân (Satan) verily, sows disagreements among them. Surely, Shaitân (Satan) is to man a plain enemy."

Al Isra`a

and says:"[21] O you who believe! Follow not the footsteps of Shaitân (Satan). And whosoever follows the footsteps of Shaitân (Satan), then, verily he commands Al-Fahshâ' (i.e. to commit indecency (illegal sexual intercourse)) and Al-Munkar (disbelief and polytheism (i.e. to do evil and wicked deeds; and to speak or to do what is forbidden in Islâm)) And had it not been for the Grace of Allâh and His Mercy on you, not one of you would ever have been pure from sins. But Allâh purifies (guides to Islâm) whom He wills, and Allâh is All-Hearer, All-Knower."

An Noor

we should be a ware of all shaitans steps cause they are only leading the follower to hell fire (AOTHO BELLAH)...

we shouldn`t be sorry for our selves but for those who is damaging them selves by their hands or let me say their mouths...

we have to be enduring and patient and make Duaa for them
and Allah says:"He whom Allâh guides, is rightly guided; but he whom He sends astray, for him you will find no Walî (guiding friend) to lead him (to the right Path)."

Al Kahuff

I know we are human beings and we do mistakes but some people justify their mistakes by saying (we are not perfect ,we are human beings) nooo this is not right...we have to say we are not perfect to spirit our selves to do more and more of good deeds not to justify our bad deeds...

may Allah guide us and protect us from all harms,shaitan and hell fire and reward us with wisdom ,his satisfaction and Jannat Al Ferdous...

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeen

(I know I am talking too much :-[ )

AvarAllahNoor
06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Native Indians were the first 'Americans' before they slaughtered!

truemuslim
06-07-2008, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Native Indians were the first 'Americans' before they slaughtered!

Yes, true bro

AMericans never were White, like originally white, and the majority of americans right now is STILL not white.

Besides people need to quit the racism wherever they are

INshallah:D

Ali.
06-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Too true, Woodrow.

AvarAllahNoor
06-07-2008, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
Yes, true bro

AMericans never were White, like originally white, and the majority of americans right now is STILL not white.

Besides people need to quit the racism wherever they are

INshallah:D
Yup, they were all Europeans. Irish, Scottish, English German and so on.

Racism is not as bad as it once was. The new generation is colour blind thankfully

truemuslim
06-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Yup, they were all Europeans. Irish, Scottish, English German and so on.

Racism is not as bad as it once was. The new generation is colour blind thankfully

Colorblind, LOL

But it keeps growing..

AvarAllahNoor
06-07-2008, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
Colorblind, LOL

But it keeps growing..
What's growing? racisim? where? not bad here in the UK. USA, well as you see Obama has won, and that' mostly because educated folks and the younger generation are in need of change and they don't care if a person is orange with green dots. Which is the way to be!

Fishman
06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
What's growing? racisim? where? not bad here in the UK. USA, well as you see Obama has won, and that' mostly because educated folks and the younger generation are in need of change and they don't care if a person is orange with green dots. Which is the way to be!
I think racism is growing in Europe and Britain. The age of tolerance is over. Multiculturalism is dead now, but the far-right is still alive and well.
:w:

AvarAllahNoor
06-07-2008, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I think racism is growing in Europe and Britain. The age of tolerance is over. Multiculturalism is dead now, but the far-right is still alive and well.
Is it?

Or me having a variety of mates seems to have made me immune to it's existence. I know here in he UK attacks on Polish people have risen. Not on Asians.

Fishman
06-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Is it?

Or me having a variety of mates seems to have made me immune to it's existence. I know here in he UK attacks on Polish people have risen. Not on Asians.
Round here its pretty obvious, I'm often afraid to go outside now. And in Europe its even worse. Look at Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium, which have really popular rightist parties. In Denmark, the government relies on the far-right to stay in power.

AvarAllahNoor
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Round here its pretty obvious, I'm often afraid to go outside now. And in Europe its even worse. Look at Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium, which have really popular rightist parties. In Denmark, the government relies on the far-right to stay in power.
Yes, but that's mainly down to fantatical 'Muslims' who've hijacked Islam and it's making Europe a little restless when they hear 'Muslims' ''want to make the whole of Europe Islamic!'' So they fear their culture religion and indentity are under attack. It would scare the gooononas out of me too mate!

Amadeus85
06-07-2008, 10:33 PM
White Americans still make up 75 % of the society, they very often make the elites, the WASPs, thats why we see all Americans as them. Until 90's you also didnt see many blacks, asians and latinos in american movies.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.