/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Lying

john316
06-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi guys!

What exactly is Islam's stand against lying. We know that there are different degrees of lying. And as far as my knowledge from some sources goes lying is permissible if it ought to save ones life or promote goodness in Islam. What do your religous text support exactly. Is lying permissible in some aspects?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
06-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi,

The basic rule with regard to lying is that it is not permitted, but there are certain circumstances in which Islam permits lying to serve a greater purpose or to prevent harm.

One of these situations is when a person mediates between two disputing parties in order to reconcile between them, if reconciliation cannot be achieved in any other way. Um Kalthoom (may Allaah be pleased with her) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He is not a liar who reconciles between people and conveys something good or says something good.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2495).

Another example is a man’s speaking to his wife, or a woman speaking to her husband, with regard to matters that will strengthen the ties of love between them, even if that is accompanied by exaggeration. Asma’ bint Yazeed said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Lying is not permitted except in three cases: a man’s speaking to his wife to make her happy; lying at times of war; and lying in order to reconcile between people.’” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1862; he said: it is a hasan hadeeth. See also Saheeh Muslim, 4717).
You might also find this an interesting read, :)

:peace:

------
06-06-2008, 12:00 PM
:salamext:

^ What bro said.

and....

Sahih MuslimBook 032, Number 6303:

Humaid b. 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Auf reported that his mother Umm Kulthum daughter of 'Uqba b. Abu Mu'ait, and she was one amongst the first emigrants who pledged allegiance to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), as saying that she heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A liar is not one who tries to bring reconciliation amongst people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or he conveys good.

Ibn Shihab said he did not hear that exemption was granted in anything what the people speak as lie but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband (in a twisted form in order to bring reconciliation between them).

Woodrow
06-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Lying is very much frowned upon. The above mentioned instances are the exceptions and even then it can not be said that lying is encourged but only that under those conditions is it acceptable/justified.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
06-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Lying is one of islaams Major Sins right next to fornication and neglecting prayer and disobedience of parents.

Its a huge no-no... unless you take the above circumstances

nile
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by john316
Hi guys!

What exactly is Islam's stand against lying. We know that there are different degrees of lying. And as far as my knowledge from some sources goes lying is permissible if it ought to save ones life or promote goodness in Islam. What do your religous text support exactly. Is lying permissible in some aspects?
Why would it be necessary tell lies to promote Islam
i should imagine that lying is not acceptable any where

crayon
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nile
Why would it be necessary tell lies to promote Islam
i should imagine that lying is not acceptable any where
I think you misunderstood, he said to promote "goodness" (in islam). So for example if two friends have had a fight and you want them to make up, you can tell one that the other person said you were great, or that kind of thing.

coddles76
08-01-2008, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by john316
Hi guys!

Peace be upon you

Islam forbids all evil and licentious acts, whether in speech or deed.

Allah says:

(Say, 'My Lord has only forbidden immoralities - what is apparent of them and what is concealed - and sin, and oppression without right, and that you associate with Allah that which He has not sent down authority, and that you say about Allah that which you do not know.) (7:33)

It orders and encourages all good morals and manners. The Prophet of Islam, Muhammad said:

"I have been sent to perfect righteous and honorable manners." (Haakim)

Allah the Exalted and Almighty said in the Glorious Quran:

("Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah has (really) prohibited you from": join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want - We provide sustenance for you and for them - come not nigh to shameful deeds, whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah has made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that you may learn wisdom." ) [Suraat-al-An'am (Cattle) 6:151]

The Messenger of Allah said:

"None of you believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself." (Bukhari)

doorster
09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
^^ is telling a tiny fib to promote peace and harmony between brothers an "evil and licentious act in speech"???

ASeeker
10-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Please explain to me the concept of takiyya.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.