/* */

PDA

View Full Version : first muslim contradiction?

truemuslim
06-09-2008, 12:12 AM
:sl:

Ok I'm a bit confused here.

Who REALLY is the 'first' muslim?

"And I [Muhammad] am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah in Islam," (39:12)

^ Meaning Muhammed (saw) would be the first muslim right?

BUT

Before him...

"When Moses came to the place appointed by Us, and his Lord addressed him, He said: "O my Lord! show (Thyself) to me, that I may look upon thee." Allah said: "By no means canst thou see Me (direct); But look upon the mount; if it abide in its place, then shalt thou see Me." When his Lord manifested His glory on the Mount, He made it as dust. And Moses fell down in a swoon. When he recovered his senses he said: "Glory be to Thee! to Thee I turn in repentance, and I am the first to believe." (7:143)

^ Meaning Moses would be the first muslim right?

AND

"And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; "Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the Faith of Islam," (2:132)

^ Ok, Meaning Abraham is the first muslim ...right?

So is this a contradaction or just translated wrong?
Or is it a lie?

Now I'm not tryin to attack islam or anything but it would ..u kno... be more...clear... if i knew the answer.
Jazakallah khair

WaSalaam :D

:Evil:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
i belive that when the Prophet ) pbuh) said he was the first Muslim following the final revelation that he was given. Int he other cases, Muslim is meant as one whop submits to Allah.

I think this is the answer though there are people more knowledgeable than me who could comment.

truemuslim
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
i belive that when the Prophet ) pbuh) said he was the first Muslim following the final revelation that he was given. Int he other cases, Muslim is meant as one whop submits to Allah.

I think this is the answer though there are people more knowledgeable than me who could comment.

Oh ok well the Muhammed (saw) one makes sense, but wouldn't they say they are the first, second, muslims? Why would TWO prophets say they were the FIRST muslims?

Jazakallah khair for your answer btw :D

tetsujin
06-09-2008, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *SAFA*
Oh ok well the Muhammed (saw) one makes sense, but wouldn't they say they are the first, second, muslims? Why would TWO prophets say they were the FIRST muslims?

Jazakallah khair for your answer btw :D
The answer you are looking for is Adam. It is believed that there always been and always will be one true religion and that has been revealed to everyone in due time. The fact that Muhammad received the final revelation does not make him the first nor does it make any of the other prophets the first. The first human Allah created would have received a divine instruction as well.

Your answer is Adam. Whether he called himself a "muslim" or not is irrelevant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-09-2008, 01:39 AM
^^Not sure how that really answers the question....?

Malaikah
06-09-2008, 01:42 AM

I always thought it meant first Muslim of their time. Not the first Muslims EVER.

Allahu a'lam, that's just what I always thought it meant...

Mikayeel
06-09-2008, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I always thought it meant first Muslim of their time. Not the first Muslims EVER.

Allahu a'lam, that's just what I always thought it meant...

Yep that is what I always had in mind aswell, untill some atheist once pointed it out to me.... but that makes perfect sense! The first muslims of their time, inshAllah if wer wrong sum wiser bro or sis can brighten us up
:w:

truemuslim
06-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok well WHY did the prophets Abraham and Moses say that they were the first muslims?

north_malaysian
06-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Ok well WHY did the prophets Abraham and Moses say that they were the first muslims?
The first Muslim in their generation or people?

truemuslim
06-09-2008, 02:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
The first Muslim in their generation or people?

Wait, do they mean in there generation or EVER? :?

ooo am so confuse now :exhausted

Oh well. im reading the translated quran right now. sooo beautiful. mashallah
answered tons of questions already
:D

Mikayeel
06-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Wait, do they mean in there generation or EVER? :?

ooo am so confuse now :exhausted

Oh well. im reading the translated quran right now. sooo beautiful. mashallah
answered tons of questions already
:sl: sis

Well its not EVER, because thats impossible, so it has to be of their generation

truemuslim
06-09-2008, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

Well its not EVER, because thats impossible, so it has to be of their generation
wa3alaikum assalam

So Moses claimed he was the first muslim in HIS generation , Abraham claimed he was the first muslim in HIS generation, and Muhammed claimed he was the first muslim because the quran was revealed to HIM and in his generation? Makes sense, but like when Abraham said he is the first muslim, wouldn't there have been other muslims from BEFORE him? like that learned from the prophet before him, and turned to Islam? Or did the Muslims from the prophet before him all ...disapear?

jazakallah khair
sorry for so many questions. :-[

Mikayeel
06-09-2008, 02:33 AM
wa3alaikum assalam

So Moses claimed he was the first muslim in HIS generation , Abraham claimed he was the first muslim in HIS generation, and Muhammed claimed he was the first muslim because the quran was revealed to HIM and in his generation? Makes sense, but like when Abraham said he is the first muslim, wouldn't there have been other muslims from BEFORE him? like that learned from the prophet before him, and turned to Islam? Or did the Muslims from the prophet before him all ...disapear?

jazakallah khair
sorry for so many questions. :-[

I really can't answer this in to much dept i hope a wiser bro or sis cums along.

Well if the quran says that abraham was the first muslim, then its saying that his generation were not practising islam... So he was the first muslim at that time..

Wa jazaaki
Questions are good:)

tetsujin
06-09-2008, 03:45 AM

Why is that impossible? Do you not believe that at one point nothing existed until god created it?

So one day god created a human, his name was Adam.

Adam was the first prophet as well as the first human ever.

A muslim is someone who submits to the will of Allah. There's no inconsistency so far, right?

So since Adam fits every definition of what it means to be a muslim, then he was the first muslim. He probably did not practise islam as it was revealed to muhammad, but neither did Noah, Moses, David, Jesus, Abraham, or any of the other prophets.

I understand that some of you want a "Muslim" brother to verify it, that's fine, atleast be consistent with what you believe.

All the best wishes,

Faysal

Mikayeel
06-09-2008, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tetsujin
Why is that impossible? Do you not believe that at one point nothing existed until god created it?

So one day god created a human, his name was Adam.

Adam was the first prophet as well as the first human ever.

A muslim is someone who submits to the will of Allah. There's no inconsistency so far, right?

So since Adam fits every definition of what it means to be a muslim, then he was the first muslim. He probably did not practise islam as it was revealed to muhammad, but neither did Noah, Moses, David, Jesus, Abraham, or any of the other prophets.

I understand that some of you want a "Muslim" brother to verify it, that's fine, atleast be consistent with what you believe.

All the best wishes,

Faysal

Hello, what ur saying is perfectly fine..

Its impossible that abraham was the first muslim ever because adam was a muslim before him... thats all am saying?

Malaikah
06-09-2008, 03:56 AM
Makes sense, but like when Abraham said he is the first muslim, wouldn't there have been other muslims from BEFORE him? like that learned from the prophet before him, and turned to Islam? Or did the Muslims from the prophet before him all ...disapear?
When Abraham was alive he was the only Muslim at first, ALL other people on the whole earth were non-Muslim.

As for the Prophets before him, well it isn't hard to imagine what could have happened, just look at Prophet `Isa, how quickly did they all start to worship him as the son of God and fall in to kufr? I don't know what happened, but it could have been anything... perhaps the followers of the earlier prophets got less and less religious as generations passed, to the point they lost everything they had.

Also, from tafsir ibn katheer, it says about verse 7:143:

("and I am the first of the believers.''), among the Children of Israel, according to Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, and Ibn Jarir preferred this view.

Wallahu A`lam.

tetsujin
06-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Hello, what ur saying is perfectly fine..

Its impossible that abraham was the first muslim ever because adam was a muslim before him... thats all am saying?

I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood. I didn't see Abraham in your post and or the post quoted.

All the best wishes,

Faysal

truemuslim
06-09-2008, 05:59 AM

I really can't answer this in to much dept i hope a wiser bro or sis cums along.

Well if the quran says that abraham was the first muslim, then its saying that his generation were not practising islam... So he was the first muslim at that time..

Wa jazaaki
Questions are good:)
Its ok, Jazakallah khair

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
When Abraham was alive he was the only Muslim at first, ALL other people on the whole earth were non-Muslim.

As for the Prophets before him, well it isn't hard to imagine what could have happened, just look at Prophet `Isa, how quickly did they all start to worship him as the son of God and fall in to kufr? I don't know what happened, but it could have been anything... perhaps the followers of the earlier prophets got less and less religious as generations passed, to the point they lost everything they had.

Also, from tafsir ibn katheer, it says about verse 7:143:

("and I am the first of the believers.''), among the Children of Israel, according to Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, and Ibn Jarir preferred this view.

Wallahu A`lam.

Allahu A3lam , And Jazakallah khair sis for ur answer.
It seems pretty clear now :statisfie

tho i sorta did find some...other...things while reading the translated quran today :-[

------
06-09-2008, 10:13 AM
:salamext:

None of us are scholars and can answer this question. This is not a fiqh discussion board. These sort of questions ought to be asked to scholars, not laymen.

fahadimtiaz
10-27-2021, 11:18 AM
Insha Allah this post will help you in clarifying your misconception
https://yahyasnow.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/28/

Who was the First Muslim in the Quran? No Contradiction/Error! – Yahya Snow's Blog
a refutation of the attack on the Quran concerning who was the first Muslim of Beleiver...

Ümit
10-27-2021, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fahadimtiaz
There are two things that need to be highlighted here:
1 Islaam was always there. Every prophet was a Muslim so Islaam didn't start roughly 1400 years ago
2 one is not a muslim since his birth. Our souls already existed long before Adam as walked the Earth. There is this "Qalu Balaa" event that took place where Allah gathered every souls and asked us:"Am I not your Lord?" and we responded with "No you are!". We are considered muslims since that event....long before Adam as was send down.

Labayk
10-30-2021, 04:10 PM
Asalam alaykum

Being awwal al-Muslimeen or Awwal al-Mumineen means to be Muslim/Mumin when no one else is. To believe when no one else around you believes and to submit and obey Allah even when no one else around you submits to or obeys Allah.

In this sense we are all commanded to be the first of the believers even if those around you are not believing in nor following the message. Not to wait around for the herd to follow the Truth before you do. In this we have countless examples from the Prophets of Allah (May Allah 'Azza wa Jal send His Peace and Blessings Upon them All).

Allahu 'Alim

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.