/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia plans to pour away 196,000 smuggled beers

islamirama
06-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Malaysia plans to pour away 196,000 smuggled beers

Malaysian customs officials plan to send more than 196,000 cans of smuggled beer gurgling down the drain after confiscating them from a gang that specialized in reselling duty-free drinks to pubs and grocers.

Officials cannot auction off the beer, worth about 287,000 ringgit ($84,040) with 1 million ringgit ($292,900) owed in unpaid duty and sales tax, because the sale would affect the domestic market, the Star newspaper said Tuesday.

The smugglers worked with freight forwarders and haulers over six months to obtain duty-free beers meant for shops in Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia, customs officials told the paper.

Each of the 8,178 seized cartons was to have been sold for 30 ringgit, or about a third of the market price, customs official Madrina Alwi said.
But the plan went flat after customs officers raided an industrial estate where the beer was stored and caught two Myanmar nationals, the paper said.
($1=3.414 Malaysian ringgit)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070508/od_nm/malaysia_beer_dc_1

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 02:54 AM
We have beer factories inside Malaysia... smuggling beers would cost losses for the government as they cannot get the taxes from it...

I wonder if pouring 196,000 beers into drains would cause environmental effects?

Muslim Knight
06-11-2008, 03:16 AM
I wonder if we can extract the alcohol content for use as alternative fuel for cars. Otherwise it would be awful waste. Also, I share brother n_m's concern for the environment.

north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
I wonder if we can extract the alcohol content for use as alternative fuel for cars. Otherwise it would be awful waste. Also, I share brother n_m's concern for the environment.

I dont want my car to be "drunk"...:skeleton:

Seriously, the RM2.70/per litre made zillions of Malaysians became mad people...

Last night on TV1, I've seen lots of hate SMS from the public....

I really hope those 30 MPs would defect from BN this coming Ramadhan...:enough!:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Izyan
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
We have beer factories inside Malaysia... smuggling beers would cost losses for the government as they cannot get the taxes from it...

I wonder if pouring 196,000 beers into drains would cause environmental effects?
Why would it? it's just barely, wheat, grains and water fermented. Alcohol occurs naturally in nature in some places. It's fine to dump it.

Fishman
06-11-2008, 12:31 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Malaysia plans to pour away 196,000 smuggled beers

Malaysian customs officials plan to send more than 196,000 cans of smuggled beer gurgling down the drain after confiscating them from a gang that specialized in reselling duty-free drinks to pubs and grocers.

Officials cannot auction off the beer, worth about 287,000 ringgit ($84,040) with 1 million ringgit ($292,900) owed in unpaid duty and sales tax, because the sale would affect the domestic market, the Star newspaper said Tuesday.

The smugglers worked with freight forwarders and haulers over six months to obtain duty-free beers meant for shops in Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia, customs officials told the paper.

Each of the 8,178 seized cartons was to have been sold for 30 ringgit, or about a third of the market price, customs official Madrina Alwi said.
But the plan went flat after customs officers raided an industrial estate where the beer was stored and caught two Myanmar nationals, the paper said.
($1=3.414 Malaysian ringgit)

...In other news, the number of young male tourists going on beach holidays to Malaysia has rapidly increased... :D

The fish won't be able to swim straight!
:w:

north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

...In other news, the number of young male tourists going on beach holidays to Malaysia has rapidly increased... :D
Or going to the monsoon drains...free flow of beer....:skeleton:

The fish won't be able to swim straight!
I really trust you as you're the "FISHman"!

Fishman
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I really trust you as you're the "FISHman"!
Actually, that's a good reason for me to avoid going to Malaysia this year, don't want to be swept into any intoxicating currents...

north_malaysian
06-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Actually, that's a good reason for me to avoid going to Malaysia this year, don't want to be swept into any intoxicating currents...

:D maybe we should stop eating local fish too...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.