/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Headcovering in Islam - Essential?

AvarAllahNoor
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Raj Karega Khalsa (Pure Shall Rule)

Hi, wondering, is it compolsury for Muslim men and women to cover head during prayers? I notice a few, but does not seem like it's a rule to be obeyed.

Sikhs (Men/women) have to cover the head 24/7 as God is present all around. And in the Gurdwara head is covered as when reading/listening to Verses from Scriptures.

Thankyou!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aysenil
06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

Hi, wondering, is it compolsury for Muslims men and women to cover head during prayers? I notice a few, but does not seem like it's a rule to be obeyed.

Sikhs (Men/women) have to cover the head 24/7 as God is present all around. And in the Gurdwara head is covered as when reading/listening to Verses from Scriptures.

Thankyou!
it is compulsory for Muslim women to cover head during prayers and normally when they going out.

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. " (Quran:24-31 Surah Noor)

and women also should cover head while rading Quran.

but for men it is not compulsory just sunnah(that Prophet(sav) did like that) and so to cover head during prayers for them increase their reward but not an compulsory without covering their prayer is acceptable. same reading Quran and entering Mosques it is same.

AvarAllahNoor
06-09-2008, 11:02 PM
OK, thanks just wondered.

innocent
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I dont think covering the face is essential. In fact I'm sure it isnt.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aysenil
06-10-2008, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
I dont think covering the face is essential. In fact I'm sure it isnt.
yes covering face is not essential.

S1aveofA11ah
06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aysenil
yes covering face is not essential.
There is a difference of opinions about if covering the face is fard or not. So both views are permissible. Allualim (Allah Knows Best)

innocent
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
There is a difference of opinions about if covering the face is fard or not. So both views are permissible. Allualim (Allah Knows Best)
Yes which in effect means that its not essential. So there is only one view as the other view says it is essential but its not essential. :rollseyes
Know what i mean?

Fishman
06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

Hi, wondering, is it compolsury for Muslim men and women to cover head during prayers? I notice a few, but does not seem like it's a rule to be obeyed.

Thankyou!
:sl:
To the best of my knowledge:

Women: Covering the head is part of Hijab, so it must be done, especially in prayer.

Men: Covering the head is not compulsory, but is Sunnah. It is respectful to do as well. The Prophet (peace be upon him) wore a turban, and it is regarded by some to be better to wear a turban than just a skullcap. But some people disagree with this. Also, some men wear a shawl, either like the Arabs have it (flat over the head), or in the way that the Prophet (peace be upon him) and other ancient Arabs used to have it (wrapped around, making it like a hood). Again, people also disagree about this.
:w:

aysenil
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
yes u r right bro. scholars have different opinions. i told according to imam Azaam Abu Hanifah if i am not wrong. yes Allah knows the best

Nawal89
06-11-2008, 02:23 AM

but for men it is not compulsory just sunnah(that Prophet(sav) did like that) and so to cover head during prayers for them increase their reward but not an compulsory without covering their prayer is acceptable. same reading Quran and entering Mosques it is same.
As far as I know there is no daleel stating that it is better for a woman to cover her head whilst reading the Qur'an.

Also about the mens head covering, Its sunnah but not wajib. Also its a sunnah of the tradition, meaning the prophet did it out of the traditions at that time and it is not something that the prophet said was good or ordered to do. So if a man wears a kufi or a turban with intentions of following the way the prophet peace be upon him dressed inshaAllah then for that he is rewarded. But otherwise there is no saying that that it increases rewards or for respect or anything.

north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 02:39 AM
I've heard that if a man doesnt cover his head (minimum skullcap) in 40 days he cannot be a witness or being the "wali" for his daughter/sister in wedding ceremony... is it true?:?

Nawal89
06-11-2008, 02:44 AM
^where did u hear that from?

north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 02:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^where did u hear that from?
from a "pakcik" (old man) years ago... But of course I dont take it seriously...

aysenil
06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
As far as I know there is no daleel stating that it is better for a woman to cover her head whilst reading the Qur'an.

yes i also don no any daleel abt covering head while reading Quran that i said they should for respet.

Also about the mens head covering, Its sunnah but not wajib. Also its a sunnah of the tradition, meaning the prophet did it out of the traditions at that time and it is not something that the prophet said was good or ordered to do. So if a man wears a kufi or a turban with intentions of following the way the prophet peace be upon him dressed inshaAllah then for that he is rewarded. But otherwise there is no saying that that it increases rewards or for respect or anything.

i mean same sis by increasing rewards that he gets sunnah reward, sure it is not compulsory (fard or wajib)
was salam

aysenil
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I've heard that if a man doesnt cover his head (minimum skullcap) in 40 days he cannot be a witness or being the "wali" for his daughter/sister in wedding ceremony... is it true?:?
no bro i dont think that is true, i never read or heard smt like that.

Malaikah
06-11-2008, 07:48 AM
yes i also don no any daleel abt covering head while reading Quran that i said they should for respet.

But what is the proof that it is respectful to cover the head when reading the Quran? :?

barrio79
06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
it is very strange that anyone would be thinking that someone as mighty as the Great Architect would be small minded enough to be worrying how many people out of 6billion wear a hat or coat or scarf or fig leaf , regardless of whether the wearer was working or reading.

aysenil
06-11-2008, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barrio79
it is very strange that anyone would be thinking that someone as mighty as the Great Architect would be small minded enough to be worrying how many people out of 6billion wear a hat or coat or scarf or fig leaf , regardless of whether the wearer was working or reading.
haasha (Allah far frm all defects) but there r verses in Quran abt covering head for women that i write abovo. so there is no discussion abt that. sure Allah doesnt only looks who covers head or not. but to get closer all r steps.

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. " (Quran:24-31 Surah Noor)

TrueStranger
06-11-2008, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=aysenil;957008]

?????

Are you sure about this sis? I have never heard of this before. Any hadith?

AvarAllahNoor
06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

But what is the proof that it is respectful to cover the head when reading the Quran? :?
If you look at Religous Prophets of the past, they all covered their heads. I was watching a Panjabi verion of Jesus Christ story, and they all would cover the heads when Prayer was uttered, also the Jews cover the head, Sikhs do (obviously) indus do in the Mandir. So, I think it may be a sign of respect, or perhaps a cultural thing? Even Christians in Church at one time would wear a hat.

adam123
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Assalamu alaikum, How are you? Been a long time since I saw you, where have you been?
ALI: Wa-alaikumussalam, I’m fine Alhamdulillah, not been anywhere, just been busy revising for my exams.
What you been up to? Still at the Islamic Institute?
ADAM: Yeah, I’m in my final year before I graduate in Islamic Theology.
ALI: That’s cool, now I know who to come to when there is a problem.
ADAM: Your welcome anytime, by the way may I ask you a question?
ALI: Of course you can.
ADAM: How come you’ve stopped wearing a topi? I can remember you use to wear a topi in Salah in our old
days.
ALI: O don’t you know, to read Salah without a topi is also accordance to Sunnah.
ADAM: WHAT!! Who’s been feeding you with this false information?
ALI: Take it easy, it’s what we’ve been learning in our university circle.
ADAM: Do you even know the definition of Sunnah?
ALI: Yes I do, Sunnah is an act which Prophet (SAW) did even if that action was done once, and it is proven
by Hadith that Prophet (SAW) did read his prayer without a topi once.
ADAM: Ok then, why don’t you start urinating standing up, as it comes in the famous Hadith book, Sahih
Bukhari (vol.1 pg.35) that Prophet (SAW) did once urinate standing up, will you class that as Sunnah?
ALI: Clearly not, then what is the definition of Sunnah?
ADAM: An act which the Prophet (SAW) adhered to so much that it was considered to be his habit and daily
ritual and something he would rarely leave out.
ALI: Never come across this definition.
ADAM: Obviously not, Look Ali, it seems like you’re hanging around with the wrong people. As a close friend
let me tell you a few things about the importance of the topi in Islam.
ALI: Please do so.
ADAM: A topi/turban holds a very high status in Islam; it serves to show that the wearer is a Muslim, thereby
distinguishing him from the followers of other religions. You must have heard of the Hadith books, Abu
Dawood and Tabrani?
ALI: Yes I have.
ADAM: In there is the narration of Roknah (RA) that Prophet (SAW) said “The distinction between us and the
polytheist is the turbans over our caps”. Furthermore, Islam lays great stress of the protection of our Islamic
identity and the topi goes a long way in ensuring this, Mullah Ali Qari (RA), a famous scholar has said in his
book Mirqaat (vol.8 pg.246) that wearing of the topi has become one of the salient symbols of Islam and most
importantly, the topi was the practice of our beloved Prophet (SAW). Hazrat Aisha (RA) the wife of the Prophet
(SAW) herself narrates that Prophet (SAW) would wear a topi which covered his ear while on a journey and
whilst at home he would wear a thin (i.e. Syrian style) topi.
ALI: Isn’t this Hadith weak?
ADAM: No it’s not. Imam Iraqi has written in Faidhul Qadeer (vol.5 pg.246) that of all the Ahaadith dealing with
the topi, this Hadith is the most authentic and reliable.
ALI: So is it Sunnah to wear a topi?
ADAM Yes, after gathering all the Ahaadith pertaining to the topi, the scholars have regarded wearing topi as
Sunnah.
ALI: So what’s the ruling of wearing topi in Salah?
ADAM: The reality of Salah is to present oneself in the court of the Almighty; this demands man presents
himself with respect and honour. A feature of respect and honour is to cover one’s head either with a topi or an
amamah.
ALI: But isn’t covering the satr (private parts) enough?
ADAM: Ali what you have to remember is attire of the human body is divided into two categories:1) Compulsory to cover 2) desirable to cover. The Quran in Surah A’araf (verse 26) confines the costume into
two categories. Allah (SWT) says "O children of Adam! We have bestowed upon you to cover, as well as
to be adornment to you. And in verse 31 Allah (SWT) says "O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful
apparel at every place of prayer." From these verses we can understand that there are some parts of the
body which are compulsory and necessary to cover and these are the private parts and those adjoining them,
and some which are required and desired.
ALI: Please can you elaborate further on this verse.
ADAM: Surely I can, Allâmah Abû Hayyân (RA) the renowned Mufassir (commentator of the Qur`ân), has
beautifully explained this point in the following manner: -
“The order to adopt ‘beauty’, in this ayah, is specific to Salâh. Therefore ‘beauty’ cannot refer to
covering the private parts since we are ordered to cover them at all times, not only during Salâh. ‘Beauty’ will
therefore, in this case, have to mean something else, that with which one beautifies himself.”
Thus we can say without any doubt that covering of the head is part of ‘beauty’ and this has always
been the custom from the early days of Islâm. It is for this reason historically also, Muslims have never formed
rows for Salâh bareheaded. Anyone who denies this has been misinformed. We hereby understand that there
exists no proof at all to show that ‘beauty’ does not include covering the head.
ALI: So is it Haraam to perform Salah without a topi?
ADAM: The theologist (fuqaha) have adjudged to pray Salah bare-head due to laziness or to regard it as of
non-importance as Makrooh-e-Tanzihy (consensually disliked). It is stated in Alfiqh-al-Islami under Makroohate-
Salah that: ‘To pray Salat bare-head due to laziness is (makrooh).
. The former Grand Mufti of Pakistan Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Shafee (RA) has written in Mareeful
Quran: -
"Not only is the covering of private parts in Salat demanded, but also the clothes and the costume of
beauty. Thus for men to pray Salat bare-head, bare-elbows, and bare-shoulders is Makrooh (disliked) whether
it is short sleeves or the sleeves have been rolled up above the elbow. It is also Makrooh (disliked) to pray
Salat in such clothes and costumes with which the person feels shame and disgrace either to meet or face
friends or even to go out. So then how can he present himself in the court of Almighty Allah in this manner?
ALI: So did the companions of the Prophet (SAW) also wear topi?
ADAM: Following the footsteps of the Prophet (SAW) the companions of the Prophet (SAW) too wore a topi or
an amamah to cover their heads. It is stated in Sahih Bukhari (vol.1 pg.56) that the Sahabah (RA) used to
make sajda (prostrate) upon their turbans and topis, In Mirqaat (vol.8 pg.246) Abu Kabsha (RA) narrates that
the caps of the companions of Prophet (SAW) use to be round and spacious. Wail ibn Hujr (RA) narrates that
he performed Salat with Nabi (SAW) and the Sahaba (R.A) who were wearing barnases (a type of topi or
garment with a hood) this narration could be found in Ibn Kuzhaimah on page 233.
ALI: That’s enough, I think I’m convinced. Does this mean I have to repeat all my prayers done without the
topi?
ADAM: No not at all. But just make sure next time you pray your Salah it’s with a topi on.
ALI: Don’t worry about that, you’ll never see me praying Salah without a topi from now on and that’s a
promise.
----------------------DEAR READERS: ARE YOU WEARING YOUR TOPI IN SALAT? ----------------------

adam123
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Mukafi7
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM

Thank you sister Nawal. It is important to differentiate between cultural habits, traditions, and religious requirements.

adam123
07-18-2008, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mukafi7

Thank you sister Nawal. It is important to differentiate between cultural habits, traditions, and religious requirements.
if prophet (saw) did something then that becomes sunnat irrespective weather he did it becauce it was a tradition or not.............

adam123
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adam123
Assalamu alaikum, How are you? Been a long time since I saw you, where have you been?
ALI: Wa-alaikumussalam, I’m fine Alhamdulillah, not been anywhere, just been busy revising for my exams.
What you been up to? Still at the Islamic Institute?
ADAM: Yeah, I’m in my final year before I graduate in Islamic Theology.
ALI: That’s cool, now I know who to come to when there is a problem.
ADAM: Your welcome anytime, by the way may I ask you a question?
ALI: Of course you can.
ADAM: How come you’ve stopped wearing a topi? I can remember you use to wear a topi in Salah in our old
days.
ALI: O don’t you know, to read Salah without a topi is also accordance to Sunnah.
ADAM: WHAT!! Who’s been feeding you with this false information?
ALI: Take it easy, it’s what we’ve been learning in our university circle.
ADAM: Do you even know the definition of Sunnah?
ALI: Yes I do, Sunnah is an act which Prophet (SAW) did even if that action was done once, and it is proven
by Hadith that Prophet (SAW) did read his prayer without a topi once.
ADAM: Ok then, why don’t you start urinating standing up, as it comes in the famous Hadith book, Sahih
Bukhari (vol.1 pg.35) that Prophet (SAW) did once urinate standing up, will you class that as Sunnah?
ALI: Clearly not, then what is the definition of Sunnah?
ADAM: An act which the Prophet (SAW) adhered to so much that it was considered to be his habit and daily
ritual and something he would rarely leave out.
ALI: Never come across this definition.
ADAM: Obviously not, Look Ali, it seems like you’re hanging around with the wrong people. As a close friend
let me tell you a few things about the importance of the topi in Islam.
ALI: Please do so.
ADAM: A topi/turban holds a very high status in Islam; it serves to show that the wearer is a Muslim, thereby
distinguishing him from the followers of other religions. You must have heard of the Hadith books, Abu
Dawood and Tabrani?
ALI: Yes I have.
ADAM: In there is the narration of Roknah (RA) that Prophet (SAW) said “The distinction between us and the
polytheist is the turbans over our caps”. Furthermore, Islam lays great stress of the protection of our Islamic
identity and the topi goes a long way in ensuring this, Mullah Ali Qari (RA), a famous scholar has said in his
book Mirqaat (vol.8 pg.246) that wearing of the topi has become one of the salient symbols of Islam and most
importantly, the topi was the practice of our beloved Prophet (SAW). Hazrat Aisha (RA) the wife of the Prophet
(SAW) herself narrates that Prophet (SAW) would wear a topi which covered his ear while on a journey and
whilst at home he would wear a thin (i.e. Syrian style) topi.
ALI: Isn’t this Hadith weak?
ADAM: No it’s not. Imam Iraqi has written in Faidhul Qadeer (vol.5 pg.246) that of all the Ahaadith dealing with
the topi, this Hadith is the most authentic and reliable.
ALI: So is it Sunnah to wear a topi?
ADAM Yes, after gathering all the Ahaadith pertaining to the topi, the scholars have regarded wearing topi as
Sunnah.
ALI: So what’s the ruling of wearing topi in Salah?
ADAM: The reality of Salah is to present oneself in the court of the Almighty; this demands man presents
himself with respect and honour. A feature of respect and honour is to cover one’s head either with a topi or an
amamah.
ALI: But isn’t covering the satr (private parts) enough?
ADAM: Ali what you have to remember is attire of the human body is divided into two categories:1) Compulsory to cover 2) desirable to cover. The Quran in Surah A’araf (verse 26) confines the costume into
two categories. Allah (SWT) says "O children of Adam! We have bestowed upon you to cover, as well as
to be adornment to you. And in verse 31 Allah (SWT) says "O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful
apparel at every place of prayer." From these verses we can understand that there are some parts of the
body which are compulsory and necessary to cover and these are the private parts and those adjoining them,
and some which are required and desired.
ALI: Please can you elaborate further on this verse.
ADAM: Surely I can, Allâmah Abû Hayyân (RA) the renowned Mufassir (commentator of the Qur`ân), has
beautifully explained this point in the following manner: -
“The order to adopt ‘beauty’, in this ayah, is specific to Salâh. Therefore ‘beauty’ cannot refer to
covering the private parts since we are ordered to cover them at all times, not only during Salâh. ‘Beauty’ will
therefore, in this case, have to mean something else, that with which one beautifies himself.”
Thus we can say without any doubt that covering of the head is part of ‘beauty’ and this has always
been the custom from the early days of Islâm. It is for this reason historically also, Muslims have never formed
rows for Salâh bareheaded. Anyone who denies this has been misinformed. We hereby understand that there
exists no proof at all to show that ‘beauty’ does not include covering the head.
ALI: So is it Haraam to perform Salah without a topi?
ADAM: The theologist (fuqaha) have adjudged to pray Salah bare-head due to laziness or to regard it as of
non-importance as Makrooh-e-Tanzihy (consensually disliked). It is stated in Alfiqh-al-Islami under Makroohate-
Salah that: ‘To pray Salat bare-head due to laziness is (makrooh).
. The former Grand Mufti of Pakistan Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Shafee (RA) has written in Mareeful
Quran: -
"Not only is the covering of private parts in Salat demanded, but also the clothes and the costume of
beauty. Thus for men to pray Salat bare-head, bare-elbows, and bare-shoulders is Makrooh (disliked) whether
it is short sleeves or the sleeves have been rolled up above the elbow. It is also Makrooh (disliked) to pray
Salat in such clothes and costumes with which the person feels shame and disgrace either to meet or face
friends or even to go out. So then how can he present himself in the court of Almighty Allah in this manner?
ALI: So did the companions of the Prophet (SAW) also wear topi?
ADAM: Following the footsteps of the Prophet (SAW) the companions of the Prophet (SAW) too wore a topi or
an amamah to cover their heads. It is stated in Sahih Bukhari (vol.1 pg.56) that the Sahabah (RA) used to
make sajda (prostrate) upon their turbans and topis, In Mirqaat (vol.8 pg.246) Abu Kabsha (RA) narrates that
the caps of the companions of Prophet (SAW) use to be round and spacious. Wail ibn Hujr (RA) narrates that
he performed Salat with Nabi (SAW) and the Sahaba (R.A) who were wearing barnases (a type of topi or
garment with a hood) this narration could be found in Ibn Kuzhaimah on page 233.
ALI: That’s enough, I think I’m convinced. Does this mean I have to repeat all my prayers done without the
topi?
ADAM: No not at all. But just make sure next time you pray your Salah it’s with a topi on.
ALI: Don’t worry about that, you’ll never see me praying Salah without a topi from now on and that’s a
promise.
----------------------DEAR READERS: ARE YOU WEARING YOUR TOPI IN SALAT? ----------------------
a very good article............

chacha_jalebi
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
covering head is essential for women, as it is in many relligions, but out of all the religions that promote head coverin it, mashallah muslim women are the ones who observe the hijaab the most :D

i think Q answered :threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.