/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian president Abdullah Badawi calls for British Muslims to live under sharia

Uthman
06-10-2008, 05:09 PM
By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent, In Kuala Lumpur Last updated: 5:58 PM BST 09/06/2008

Muslim extremism in Britain will grow unless the Government and society learn to understand Islam, Malaysia's prime minister has warned.

Abdullah Badawi claimed that the legacy of Britain's imperial past has hampered its ability to appreciate its Islamic population.

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, the prime minister urged Gordon Brown to allow the country's Muslims to live under sharia law, but also said that they must prove their worth to society.

His comments are set to fuel the debate over the role of Islam in Britain following the Church of England's attack on the Government for already giving more attention to Muslims than Christians.

A report, commissioned by the Church and published today, accuses ministers of paying only "lip service" to Christianity and marginalising the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches, while focusing "intently" on Islam.

However, Mr Abdullah argues that the Government must do more to ensure Muslims don't feel discriminated against if it is to tackle the rise of radicalism.

"The failure to understand Muslims is driving a divide between the communities," he said.

"Gordon Brown must encourage a better understanding because Britain must appreciate its Muslims."

Mr Abdullah argued that Britain needs to come to terms with being home to immigrants from countries that it used to rule over.

"The British Empire expanded in Asia, everywhere, throughout the Muslim land, through the land of Hindus and the land of Buddhists.

"When they were ruling it was different because they wanted it to be peaceful and to keep it peaceful they had to use diplomacy.

"Now maybe the Government thinks they can forget it. It doesn't matter."

He said that Muslims in Britain were more likely to be radicalised because they feel ignored rather than due to religious reasons.

"Is it because of poverty, social unrest, deprivation, feeling discriminated against, thinking people don't care much because of the
colour of their skin. The could make them to decide to be extremist, not necessarily because of his religion."

Mr Abdullah, who was talking on the eve of a landmark summit of world leaders, echoed the calls of the Archbishop of Canterbury earlier this year for Muslims to be able to live under sharia law.

"They should abide by the law of the land, but they should also be able to follow their religious observances and beliefs, to express their duty to God.."

The conference on the Muslim world and the West, "Bridging the Gap",
begins today with political and religious leaders encouraging a greater
commitment to solving the roots of the divisions.

The Malaysian Prime Minister acknowledged that Muslims must also play their part in proving their value as immigrants.

"If they want to be respected then they must do something for the community," he said.

"They must not be a liability. They have to be an asset."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 01:30 AM
which kind of Sharia Laws?

Islam Hadhari's sharia laws? ie. RM 3,000 for adultery, RM 3,000 for drinking alcohol?:?

Nawal89
06-11-2008, 02:16 AM
^Thats exactly what I was thinking. I dont think Abdullah Badaw knows much about sharia laws.

north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^Thats exactly what I was thinking. I dont think Abdullah Badaw knows much about sharia laws.

Well...he has a degree in Islamic Studies from Universiti Malaya. A wife that doesnt wear hijab while 90% of Muslim women (including the queen) wear hijab. He has is own version of Islam. He led the Tarawih prayer and touched Michelle Yeoh's bared shoulder...

:blind:

P/S: The title should be "Malaysian Prime Minister" as we dont have a President...:exhausted

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nawal89
06-11-2008, 02:24 AM
^he has a degree in islamic studies so he can know what to pick apart and insert his own version of things. I still say he doesnt know sharia law lol.

north_malaysian
06-11-2008, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^he has a degree in islamic studies so he can know what to pick apart and insert his own version of things. I still say he doesnt know sharia law lol.

He might has the Islamic studies degree, but he never practice it..

"Al Ilm bila Amalin, ka ash shajarin bila thamarin"
(Knowledge without practicing, is like the tree without fruit)

adeeb
06-11-2008, 09:49 AM
agree!! many indonesian scholars do the same thing... so sad...:blind::blind:

we need sharia!!! i'm telling you we need sharia....!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

wonder living in middle east.......................:statisfie

AvarAllahNoor
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Well, seems like you're all undecided yourself lol!

As long as it didn't interfere with people of other faiths and the way this country is Governed, I'd see no problem with it at all.

Izyan
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

As long as it didn't interfere with people of other faiths and the way this country is Governed, I'd see no problem with it at all.
But it does as evident in a different thread. Not allowing sybols from other religions, not building churches, etc.

Fishman
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
:sl:
Ditto. But I don't really see it happening, to be honest. I think the closest Muslims in the UK will get to Sharia (not including end-times miracles and things) is having Sharia marriages and divorces recognised. This kind of extreme multiculturalism doesn't have enough support in the UK, and generally the whole world with the exception of multinational countries like India, Russia etc...
:w:

Amadeus85
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Muslim extremism in Britain will grow unless the Government and society learn to understand Islam, Malaysia's prime minister has warned.
Nice ultimatum, wonder what they would want next after shariat.

Fishman
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Nice ultimatum, wonder what they would want next after shariat.
Since when does 'understand Islam' mean 'Shariah'? Surely understanding is not a threat?

I think terrorism (or attempted terrorism) will continue until Britain stops supporting the US and stops messing around in the Middle East. And that's an optimistic prediction...

Amadeus85
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Fishman;958021]:sl:
Since when does 'understand Islam' mean 'Shariah'? Surely understanding is not a threat?

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, the prime minister urged Gordon Brown to allow the country's Muslims to live under sharia law, but also said that they must prove their worth to society.
I think terrorism (or attempted terrorism) will continue until Britain stops supporting the US and stops messing around in the Middle East. And that's an optimistic prediction...
So first Brittons should change their laws and then their international politics, because otherwise they will have "boom boom". Thats a really nice ultimatum. And the irony is that in fact you are right.

aamirsaab
06-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Thing is, sharia law is not like a pick n mix. It's a full set of laws and really it should be the only law in one country (i.e not have another law system running along side it) - so it would end up interfering with other faiths. An example of where there are two systems running along side one another is Nigeria. For the most part, it works fine; crime is low, people are generally happy with the system etc. But you get very awkard situations such as husband is christian and wife is muslim. The two want a divorce but conflict arises as to which law system one should take (either sharia or ''christian'' law) - this is just one example btw.

So, really if sharia comes to the UK it needs to be the only one there - otherwise there is little point in implimenting it. Even if it were to occur in the sense of what the archbishop mentioned, several months back (which essentially was the islamic equivalent to the jewish law system that is currently in the UK pertaining to marital matters) it would only be a fraction of sharia law. Though, I do believe it is possible for a proper muslim divorce to occur in the UK (but, to my knowledge, it has also to go through the UK system too). And the biggest elephant in the room is the fact that a caliphate (think of this as a group of very well learned and mannered Imaams) is actually required for a sharia complient country (since sharia law is only meant for Islamic state in the first place...). So until then, don't bring sharia law into the UK; it only just works in muslim run countries without a caliphate - I doubt it will work in a non-muslim country without a caliphate.

As a closing note, I'm in full agreement with Fishman's posts on this thread.

Fishman
06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
[quote=Aaron85;958023]
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

So first Brittons should change their laws and then their international politics, because otherwise they will have "boom boom". Thats a really nice ultimatum. And the irony is that in fact you are right.
I know the Indonesian President did make a kind of ultimatum, but the part you quoted didn't say 'Shariah Law' it just said 'Understand Islam', which isn't so much of an ultimatum...

Whatsthepoint
06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
What kind of law changes do UK muslims propose?

aamirsaab
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
What kind of law changes do UK muslims propose?
Me, personally? Far more harsher sentences for rapists and murderers. I believe the sharia punishment is more than adequate for those crimes.

But that's just a hypothetical answer :D

AvarAllahNoor
06-11-2008, 10:30 PM
If Muslims wanted Sharia so badly, as it's not implemented here, wouldn't they emigrate to a country where it is? (Just a question) or is it compulsory to have it in this country?

AvarAllahNoor
06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Me, personally? Far more harsher sentences for rapists and murderers. I believe the sharia punishment is more than adequate for those crimes.

But that's just a hypothetical answer :D
And adultery would be dealt with stoning?

aamirsaab
06-12-2008, 09:16 AM
If Muslims wanted Sharia so badly, as it's not implemented here, wouldn't they emigrate to a country where it is? (Just a question) or is it compulsory to have it in this country?
It's not compulsory for sharia to be in this country. The thing with most muslim countries is that yes they are muslim run and yes they impliment sharia (though not properly as no caliphate, which leads to retarded laws etc) but the one thing those countries are certainly not is Islamic - this in addition to overall poor living conditions (due to government corruption) lead to the mass imigration from the middle east to the west where the standard of living is easily 100% better.

I should also note that most muslims in the UK are happy with the current state of affairs and current law system (we're just like you: we pay our taxes, eat, sleep and crap just exactly the same way you guys do). Yes sharia law would be welcome (amongst the muslims) but it is not compulsory - especially not in an non-islamic state such as England.

And adultery would be dealt with stoning?
Short answer: Yes
But not going to go into this right here and now since we have a thread dedicated to it. Here it is: clicketh me

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.