/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK's top Muslim backs '42 days'

Uthman
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
BRITAIN’S top Muslim last night praised Gordon Brown and demanded MPs back new laws to hold terror suspects.

Khurshid Ahmed, chairman of the British Muslim Forum, the UK’s largest representative Muslim organisation, called for 42 days’ detention without charge.

He said it was vital to protect the nation.

Mr Ahmed applauded the PM for also insisting on safeguards to protect innocent people who are held.

And he pointed out that Britain’s Muslims were every bit as likely as anyone else to be bombing victims. Mr Ahmed said: “I am delighted the Government has listened to the concerns we expressed.

“I am reassured safeguards proposed go a long way in protecting civil liberties.

“As we saw in the July 7 attacks, Muslims are just as likely to be victims of plots as any other British people.

Menace

“We have a shared interest in the police and security services ensuring our protection.

“The Muslim community will do all it can to protect our society and our values.”

Unwell MPs will be ordered off their sickbeds to attend tomorrow’s crunch Commons terror vote as the Government tries to crush a rebellion by up to 50 MPs. Ministers have dubbed the showdown a “hospital vote”, ensuring every Labour MP, sick or healthy, is there.

Mr Brown refuses to back down, even though the revolt may defeat him.
Party organisers fear the PM may not win despite his personal arm-twisting. One minister said: “We are going to throw everything at this.”

A range of safeguards is promised to ensure no one innocent is held illegally.

Mr Brown has been warned the measure will be rejected by the Lords even if he wins tomorrow’s vote.

But his personal rating in an opinion poll yesterday fell to 3.9 out of 10, the first leader of any party to drop below four since the rankings began five years ago.

And the Tories’ overall lead in the Populus survey nearly doubled to 20 points.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM
lol what a stupid man, thinking that agreeing with the politicians so publicly and 100% will make himself and the community feel accepted.

Izyan
06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
lol what a stupid man, thinking that agreeing with the politicians so publicly and 100% will make himself and the community feel accepted.
Could it be he just agrees with Brown?

glo
06-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Khurshid Ahmed, chairman of the British Muslim Forum, the UK’s largest representative Muslim organisation, called for 42 days’ detention without charge.

He said it was vital to protect the nation.

Mr Ahmed applauded the PM for also insisting on safeguards to protect innocent people who are held.

And he pointed out that Britain’s Muslims were every bit as likely as anyone else to be bombing victims. Mr Ahmed said: “I am delighted the Government has listened to the concerns we expressed.

“I am reassured safeguards proposed go a long way in protecting civil liberties.

“As we saw in the July 7 attacks, Muslims are just as likely to be victims of plots as any other British people.

“We have a shared interest in the police and security services ensuring our protection.

“The Muslim community will do all it can to protect our society and our values.”
Do you disagree with the points Khurshid Ahmed made, Prince?
If so, which ones, and why?

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
06-11-2008, 12:16 PM
And may I ask how you know that that is what he is thinking?

Fishman
06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
:sl:
The UK has a 'top Muslim'? How can a leading newspaper say something as uneducated and simplistic as this? Its a travesty!

Oh, wait a second, this article is by the Sun. Nothing out of the ordinary then...

:w:

Uthman
06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
The UK has a 'top Muslim'? How can a leading newspaper say something as uneducated and simplistic as this? Its a travesty!
That's exactly what I was going to say myself!

Trumble
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Very angry about this. 42 days is far too long and simply unnecessary. Not to mention the way it was pushed through... first of all suggestions of some silly scheme to pay £3,000 a day 'compensation' for being locked up over 28 days if subsequently released without charge, and finally because it seems it was only passed at all as a result of 'bribing' the Ulster Unionists.

The_Prince
06-11-2008, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
And may I ask how you know that that is what he is thinking?
because its very easy to read through someone from their language and the way they talk. and this guy has fony sell out all over him, trying to agree so publicly to feel accepted. the people who will be held are Muslims, hes comming out now saying yessssssss were behind it all the way just to try and fit in. simple as that.

The_Prince
06-11-2008, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Could it be he just agrees with Brown?
no.

The_Prince
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Do you disagree with the points Khurshid Ahmed made, Prince?
If so, which ones, and why?

peace
yes i disagree with the main point of him agreeing with 42 days thinking that he a Muslim has to come open his mouth just to get Muslim in media looking to agree with the goverment to fit in. he should just keep his mouth shut and move along as his futile opinion means nothing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.