/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Facebook to Co-Sponsor War on Terror: Popular Networking Site Takes Aim at Jihad

islamirama
06-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Facebook to Co-Sponsor War on Terror: Popular Networking Site Takes Aim at Jihad

Creators Syndicate - After successfully sponsoring several of the presidential debates, Facebook is spreading its wings once more, announcing today that it would become the official co-sponsor of the United States' war on terror.

In snagging the coveted anti-terrorism sponsorship, the popular networking site beat out two of its rivals, MySpace and YouTube, who had also vied to co-sponsor the global struggle against Islamic extremism.

While the announcement of the collaboration between the Defense Department and Facebook took many in diplomatic circles by surprise, some intelligence experts characterized the move as a win-win for both partners.

"For Facebook, being named co-sponsor of the war on terror adds to the prestige and luster of their brand," said Tracy Klujian, editor-at-large for Antiterrorism Monthly. "For the Defense Department, teaming up with Facebook makes the war on terror seem hip and fun."

At a press conference at the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Robert Gates explained how the U.S. intended to use Facebook to fight terror: "Right now, we have thousands of bad guys out there who are addicted to jihad. We want to get them addicted to Facebook instead."

Starting this week, Gates said, Facebook will roll out two new quizzes which it hopes will be popular among potential terrorists: "Are You a Jihadist?" and "What Supervillain Are You?"

Mr. Gates said that by signing up thousands of jihadists to the social networking site, Facebook is hoping to net the biggest fish of all: Osama bin Laden.

"If bin Laden starts wasting as much time on Facebook as most Americans do, al-Qaeda is finished," he said.

Award-winning humorist, television personality and film actor Andy Borowitz is author of the book "The Republican Playbook," published in October 2007. To find out more about Andy Borowitz and read his past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=17958

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-b...a_b_85040.html

-------------------------------

This is also a nice way to rally up those taking the quizzes and ship them to Gitmo as "suspects" and "potential terrorists"

Do you still love face book?

"O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk." - Qur'an 5:51

There’s a Muslim facebook out there as well, why not use that and support Muslim business and be part of a site that doesn’t plot against you, luring innocents in as “potential terrorists” by trapping them with quizzes like “which villain are you” and other tricks.

Visit www.muslimfacebook.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Do you still love face book?
never liked it to begin with :)

interesting article though

truemuslim
06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Are you serious??? They think OSAMA BIN LADEN will sit there on facebook?! Omg this seriously cannooot get dumber!

Oh how bout they catch there own Most wanted before they waste there time with this crap

anyway I never liked facebook. :)

Gator
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Just FYI. I think this isn't real. Its written by the comedian and its from the huffington post. Your yahoo link doesn't work.

Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
Just FYI. I think this isn't real. Its written by the comedian and its from the huffington post. Your yahoo link doesn't work.

Thanks.
You are correct, it isn't real. It's a micktake. Several big clues are in there:

1) At a press conference at the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Robert Gates explained how the U.S. intended to use Facebook to fight terror: "Right now, we have thousands of bad guys out there who are addicted to jihad. We want to get them addicted to Facebook instead."

2)Starting this week, Gates said, Facebook will roll out two new quizzes which it hopes will be popular among potential terrorists: "Are You a Jihadist?" and "What Supervillain Are You?"

3) Mr. Gates said that by signing up thousands of jihadists to the social networking site, Facebook is hoping to net the biggest fish of all: Osama bin Laden.

islamirama
06-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Google and Facebook Celebrate Israel’s 60th

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/973445.html

still a google email fan? still love facebook?

still supporting terrorists and their state wide terrorism and genocide of palestinians?

If you want a POP email for outlook and stuff, try inbox.com if you don't care but want a good email then go with www.gawab.com It's an egyptian based company so CIA/FBI wont' be knocking on their doors to hand over all of YOUR personal information and emails.

islamirama
06-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Security lapse exposes Facebook photos

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE, AP Business Writer

A security lapse made it possible for unwelcome strangers to peruse personal photos posted on Facebook Inc.'s popular online hangout, circumventing a recent upgrade to the Web site's privacy controls.

The Associated Press verified the loophole Monday after receiving a tip from a Byron Ng, a Vancouver, Canada computer technician. Ng began looking for security weaknesses last week after Facebook unveiled more ways for 67 million members to restrict access to their personal profiles.

But the added protections weren't enough to prevent Ng from pulling up the most recent pictures posted by Facebook members and their friends, even if the privacy settings were set to restrict the audience to a select few.

After being alerted Monday afternoon, Facebook spokeswoman Brandee Barker said the Palo Alto-based company fixed the bug within an hour.
"We take privacy very seriously and continue to make enhancements to the site," she said.

The latest lapse serves as another reminder of the perils of sharing sensitive photos and personal information online, even when Web sites pledge to shield the information from prying eyes.

Before the fix, Ng's computer-coding trick enabled him to find private pictures of Paris Hilton at the Emmy awards and of her brother Barron Nicholas drinking a beer with friends and photos of many other people who hadn't granted access to Ng.

Using Ng's template, an AP reporter was able to look up random people on Facebook and see the most recent pictures posted on their personal profiles even if the photos were supposed to be invisible to strangers.

The revealed snapshots showed Italian vacations, office gatherings, holiday parties and college students on spring break. The AP also was able to click through a personal photo album that Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg posted in November 2005.

Some members of social networks like Facebook post photos of themselves or others in potentially embarrassing or compromising situations that include illegal drug use or underage drinking that can cause trouble at school or work. None of the photos reviewed by the AP appeared to fall into this category.

Despite the risks, more people than ever — especially teenagers and young adults — are publishing personal photos and other intimate details about their lives on the Internet.

News Corp.'s MySpace.com, the only online social network larger than Facebook, suffered a security breach that exposed its members' private photos earlier this year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080325/faceb...ic_photos.html

-------------
It's never safe to put your photos online anywhere, regardless of what anyone says, especially the ones who say "we're secure".

islamirama
06-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Canada students file complaint against Facebook: media

MONTREAL (AFP) - - Students at the University of Ottawa have filed an official complaint against Facebook, accusing the social networking website of violating Canada's privacy laws, Radio-Canada reported Saturday.

In a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, the students said the popular US-based site sends users' personal information to third parties for advertising and marketing activities without the users' knowledge or consent, according to the report on the public broadcaster.
The students, many of whom are dedicated Facebook users, filed the complaint after studying the company's policies and business practices in their university course, Radio-Canada reported.

Launched in 2004 and now claiming 70 million active users worldwide, including seven million in Canada, Facebook is the globe's second most popular networking site after MySpace.

A spokesperson for the privacy commissioner, who is responsible for monitoring compliance with Canadian privacy laws and investigating complaints of possible violations, was not immediately available for comment.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080601/ttc-canada-it-internet-company-facebook-0de2eff.html?printer=1

snakelegs
06-12-2008, 02:42 AM
the OP was hilarious!
but please, for the sake of what little sanity i have left, can you provide a link for it that actually works? please........
the world has gone so insane that sometimes it's hard to tell when something is serious or not!

Malaikah
06-12-2008, 02:50 AM
:sl:

Wow, for a second I thought that was real... lol how weird.

islamirama
06-12-2008, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
the OP was hilarious!
but please, for the sake of what little sanity i have left, can you provide a link for it that actually works? please........
the world has gone so insane that sometimes it's hard to tell when something is serious or not!
Links don't last forever in online news business. That is why i post the whole article with the original link. If a link doesn't work, just copy the title of the article and post it in google search to see other resources. Anyways, all the links have been updated now.

snakelegs
06-12-2008, 04:43 AM
i searched for it in yahoo news. nothing. so i don't know where you got that yahoo link you gave originally.
the first source you gave is a turkish paper - i think it took something that was supposed to be comedy, seriously.
if you check out your second link (huffington), it turns out that it is a column written by that comedian (who i never heard of).
the thing that is so upsetting is that i think that we have such madmen in the white house that sometimes headlines are so incredible and bizarre that you find yourself asking "are they serious?" (usually, it turns out that they were, unfortunately).
anyway, i don't think it's serious and i find some (small) comfort in that. :D
maybe you should check your sources a little more carefully in the future.

crayon
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
[B]www.gawab.com It's an egyptian based company so CIA/FBI wont' be knocking on their doors to hand over all of YOUR personal information and emails.
Um, actually, wouldn't that be the only reason they would want the personal info of gawab users? If the main users are muslim arabs, they would probably want to know about them.

But you're right about facebook and photos, photos online are never completely secure, even if you think they are.

islamirama
06-13-2008, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i searched for it in yahoo news. nothing. so i don't know where you got that yahoo link you gave originally.
the first source you gave is a turkish paper - i think it took something that was supposed to be comedy, seriously.
if you check out your second link (huffington), it turns out that it is a column written by that comedian (who i never heard of).
the thing that is so upsetting is that i think that we have such madmen in the white house that sometimes headlines are so incredible and bizarre that you find yourself asking "are they serious?" (usually, it turns out that they were, unfortunately).
anyway, i don't think it's serious and i find some (small) comfort in that. :D
maybe you should check your sources a little more carefully in the future.
The news is bit old so naturally yahoo has removed the link. Washington post also has the same yahoo link on their page and so does globalcrisismonitor

Anyways, it is real news and a real fact. It is something i read from yahoo site with my own eyes, so you'll have to excuse me for not caring about what you think nor about your advice about "carefully checking the sources"

islamirama
06-13-2008, 04:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Um, actually, wouldn't that be the only reason they would want the personal info of gawab users? If the main users are muslim arabs, they would probably want to know about them.

But you're right about facebook and photos, photos online are never completely secure, even if you think they are.
gawab.com is a Egyptian service provider based in egypt. All their customers are going to be arabs naturally. CIA can't force them to give any personal information since it's not a US company nor within the boarders of US.

crayon
06-13-2008, 09:00 AM
gawab.com is a Egyptian service provider based in egypt. All their customers are going to be arabs naturally. CIA can't force them to give any personal information since it's not a US company nor within the boarders of US.
True they can't be forced, but if offered lots of money, do you think the owners of gawab.com would not be tempted to give up personal info of their customers?

islamirama
06-14-2008, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
True they can't be forced, but if offered lots of money, do you think the owners of gawab.com would not be tempted to give up personal info of their customers?
Well the same can be said just about every company in the world, why not use internet at all then?

Let me put it this way, you have more freedom and privacy if you go with those that are not within the US boarders nor under US law. No one can legally force any company to hand over their customer's personal emails, phone calls and what not unless you the government allows it. The "law" can do anything it wants within it's boarders, it's not that easy when dealing with companies and business of another country.

US can tell it's companies and even command it's companies to follow certain regulations whether this companies are in the US or operating in another country. But US can't do the same with non-US companies. And the same goes for any other nation.

crayon
06-14-2008, 09:43 AM
"Well the same can be said just about every company in the world"

My point exactly. Anything you put online has the possibility of being seen by other people. Whether it's a US based website, or arab based website, there's still a chance of it being seen.

You do have a point though, that if a website is US based there's a bigger possibility of that info being seen/used. Using an arab website doesn't eliminate the chance of it, though.

Ayoub
06-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I like Facebook. I'll continue to use it. :)

islamirama
06-14-2008, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayoub
I like Facebook. I'll continue to use it. :)
Thanks for supporting zionist friends, i'm sure the Palestinians will thank you on J-day with compensation you can't afford.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “You will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger…” [al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And incline not towards those who do wrong, lest the Fire should touch you…” [Hood 11:113]

“…And if any amongst you takes them as awliya’, then surely he is one of them.” [al-Maa’idah 5:51].

aadil77
06-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Right now, we have thousands of bad guys out there who are addicted to jihad.
Yh I am addicted to jihad, but I ain't no bad guy, :D

chacha_jalebi
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
erm i think this has gone off topic and the 1st thread was probably a hoax or not Allahu alim!

and muslimfacebook lol thats gona be worse then facebook, facebook - meant to be hook up with your old friends (because you havent got a life:p) and muslimfacebook - just a excuse for fitnah (probably:p)

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.