/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Security official suspended over lost file

Muezzin
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
By Michael Holden

LONDON (Reuters) - The government said on Thursday it had suspended a senior intelligence official who left a top secret file about Iraq and al Qaeda on a train, as MPs called for an inquiry.

A passenger found the orange folder on a London commuter service and handed it over to the BBC, which said it contained top secret documents on Iraq's security forces and the government's latest assessment on al Qaeda.

The sensitive papers had been in the possession of an unnamed official who worked in the Cabinet Office, the central government department that supports the work of Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

"I can confirm that he has been suspended," a Cabinet Office spokesman said.

The Cabinet Office said the intelligence official was authorised to take the seven-page file out of the office providing strict security guidelines were adhered to.

The spokesman would not give details of the mislaid documents but did confirm that they were secret.

Police officers from London's Counter Terrorism Command have begun an investigation into the incident while the Cabinet Office has launched its own internal inquiry.

Home Office Minister Tony McNulty told BBC TV it was a "very, very serious matter" and lessons needed to be learned.

However, the Conservatives have demanded an independent probe, saying it was the latest in a series of serious security blunders by the government.

"The government must make an immediate statement to parliament and an inquiry must be launched," said the party's security spokesman, Baroness Pauline Neville-Jones.

The BBC said the papers were assessments made by the government's Joint Intelligence Committee.

"It reveals what the government knows about al Qaeda's capabilities, and more importantly, its vulnerabilities," said Security Correspondent Frank Gardner, who read the documents.

The BBC has now handed the file over to police.

Government sources suggested the leak was embarrassing but would not actually hurt Britain's security.

But the news will hurt Brown, who has already been stung by accusations of lax security after a civil servant lost computer discs containing the names, addresses and bank details of 25 million people in the mail last year.

In January the Ministry of Defence reported it had lost a laptop containing personal data on 600,000 recruits.

Brown, whose popularity has plunged since he took over from Tony Blair last year, is promoting plans to roll out a national identity card system, and opponents of the measure often cite the government's poor record of keeping data secure.

The news came after the prime minister won a narrow victory in parliament on Wednesday to extend the period that terrorism suspects can be held without charge, after he was forced to rely on other parties following a rebellion by Labour MPs.

(Editing by Steve Addison)

© Thomson Reuters 2008 All rights reserved.

Source

...Oops.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
:sl:
Ugh, not again! This is the fourth time this year when they lost a file!
:w:

The_Prince
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
this is probaly all a scam to fool the people, it looks so real it makes the people believe that there is a real al-qaeda threat and all that nonsense. propaganda people, propaganda.

Cabdullahi
06-12-2008, 12:23 PM
This is the same crap stories by the media when america wanted to invade iraq and now! its happening again for the second time because an attack on iran is being constructed,but i think there's not enough time to fabricate lies about iran and muslims to warrant a war,iran wont be touched and bush will just leave office without being able to do so.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
06-12-2008, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
LOL. Oh dear it must be tough for Gordon Brown; his first year and already 4 blunders!

Sahabiyaat
06-12-2008, 12:50 PM
poor brown, cant help feeling sorry for him, i think blair just had this knack for doing anything and smooth talking hs way out of it but old brown just looks confused and nervous all the time. lol.

Fishman
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
this is probaly all a scam to fool the people, it looks so real it makes the people believe that there is a real al-qaeda threat and all that nonsense. propaganda people, propaganda.
How is it trying to scare people and fool them about al-Qaeda? If anything it is making people scared of the government's incompetence. And if you are a megalomaniac trying to scare people into obeying you you would want to appear like their last, best hope not a looser who can't keep track of paper let alone the enemies of the state!

format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
This is the same crap stories by the media when america wanted to invade iraq and now! its happening again for the second time because an attack on iran is being constructed,but i think there's not enough time to fabricate lies about iran and muslims to warrant a war,iran wont be touched and bush will just leave office without being able to do so.
I have no idea how this is like Iraq, or how al-Qaeda (the subject of the papers) is connected to Iran. Al-Qaeda is an anti-American, anti-western terrorist group not currently associated with any state in particular. Iran is a soveregin nation which is only a threat to the western world indirectly, people are more scared of what it might do to Israel or Saudi Arabia than what it could do to US citizens.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
poor brown, cant help feeling sorry for him, i think blair just had this knack for doing anything and smooth talking hs way out of it but old brown just looks confused and nervous all the time. lol.
When Tony left, everybody thought 'phew, glad that buffoon's gone!'. But now I think people want him back. Brown's boring and not in touch with the country, IMO.

Ninth_Scribe
06-12-2008, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I know, it's getting down-right obnoxious (however you spell the word) and these stunts are deliberately directed toward "the stupid factor" of society. By the time the truth does come out about it, the damage will have already been done and they know that! It's no different than spilling evidence in a court room that you know won't be accepted, but you do it anyway because you can bet the jury will still have it in their minds even after the judge tells them to strike it from the record. More often than not, telling the court to strike it from the record is what makes it that much more memorable - and of course it affects the outcome! I'm so upset right now... I can't believe government officials would stoop to such low levels. I left it on a train. Get real! Even when I was a kid, if I told my teacher I left my homework on the train - she's laugh me out of the classroom!

Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't get started with this because it's becoming a hot button subject in my life.

The Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.