/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Zakaat Full Meaning - Your Views

Farhan1
06-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Aslamu Alaikum WRWB,
Brother and Sisters,
I have an doubt in Zakaat In prophet period Zakaat is collected to give for various purpose for Peoples welfare now the government also collecting tax to do the same thing does this is not a Zakaat.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

If your money will end up going to Kaafirs, for example if you live in a non muslim country then this is not allowed.

It is not permissible to give zakaah on one’s wealth or crops, or Zakaat al-Fitr, to kaafirs, even if they are poor, or wayfarers, or debtors, and if one who gives zakaah to them, that is not counted as zakaah.

It is permissible to give regular charity – not obligatory charity (i.e., zakaah) to poor kaafirs, and to exhange gifts and with them and treat them well to soften their hearts towards Islam, so long as they have not carried out any hostile actions against the Muslims, which would disallow that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:8]

There is one category of zakaah that may be given to the kuffaar, which is “to attract the hearts of those who have been inclined (towards Islam)” (cf. al-Tawbah 9:60). It is permissible to give zakaah funds to those kaafirs who hold positions of authority and influence among their people, if there is the hope that by giving them something they may become Muslims, then those who are under them may become Muslim too.
IslamQA

WaAlaykumus Salaam :)

Ummah User
06-30-2008, 02:20 PM
The underlying purpose of Zakah is to ensure circulation of wealth so the wealth is not hoarded making rich richer and poor poorer as we see in the Capitalist system.

Islam teaches us to spend from the wealth Allah tA'ala has given us because when we spend it ciruclates wealth and makes the economy run, whereas if we just kept the money in banks we should pay Zakah on that.

For example I could give a few hundred to a poor labourer to paint my house to make it look nicer or keep it in the bank and pay Zakah on it.

------
06-30-2008, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

If your money will end up going to Kaafirs, for example if you live in a non muslim country then this is not allowed.

IslamQA

WaAlaykumus Salaam :)
:salamext:

I disagree.

"Yet, having many people who qualify as poor and needy, we may resort to the following four criteria to help select between them:

1- The degree of need, a starving person must be given priority.

2- The person's relation to the payer of Zakah: a relative is preferred over non-relative (the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: 'It is Zakah and a link [to the heart of a relative].' A neighbor is also given priority.

3- The degree of religiosity of the receiver: this is within the spirit of the advice of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): 'And let your food not be eaten except by a pious person.'

4- Availability of other sources for a specific poor/needy.
Giving Zakah to Non-Muslims

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummah User
06-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I should also say, its not permissable for anyone to collect Zakah from people or distribute on their behalf, people should distribute their own zakah themselves.

during the time of Sayeduna Umar a man was caught collecting zakah and was punished severely because collection of Zakah is responsbility and duty of the Khaleefah and he whome he delegates.

Hisbul_Aziz
07-11-2008, 04:32 AM
Just tryna make sure no one else clicks on that thread

Eeman
07-11-2008, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -
:salamext:

I disagree.

Giving Zakah to Non-Muslims
I agree with you sis, in a way reading the previous post made it islam sound quite racist and then the qoute from the Qur'an went to contradict the whole thing.

personally if a poor and needy kafir is in need of help i would help them cos i will not let my judgements of their religion hold me back, if there were two one being a believer and one a non believer i would split it into two equals and still help them both EQUALLY.

How can one say that Allah swt will not accept the zakaah given to a kafir??????
Does Allah swt even have a verse in the Qur'an that says "oh mankind give no help or zakah to the kafiroon eve if they are in desperate need of help"????????

why do people add their unecessary two pence worth to contradict the whole meaning of islam?

and another thing i would like to point out is this...
out of the whole population of muslims in this day nd age how many of them are really truly believers??????
how many of them that have been blessed to be born into a muslim background take heed in Allah swt's message and way of life???
so personally to me being muslim by name does not make you a believer, cos i know sisters and brothers who are muslim from muslim backgrounds (i pray that Allah swt truly guides their hearts) but are worse than some kuffars.

so you think that by holding your hand from helping the kafir in need and putting that so called muslim brother or sister who is muslim only by name first Allah swt will accept your deed????

it is the intention that Allah swt accepts the deed upon and the intention should be to help the needy and the poor. not to help out muslims and leave the christians, hindus, sikhs, jews, buddhists and athiests to suffer and starve. that is wrong from my view.

Allah swt knows best

ma salama.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.