/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim comedy show fights racism with laughter

Uthman
06-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Targeted for their religious beliefs and often misrepresented in the mainstream media, Australian Muslims have felt under pressure. Today, a new Muslim comedy show, "Salam Café", is giving this minority a voice.

On a Wednesday night in Sydney’s Hills district, a group of friends is gathering in front of their TV set to watch "Salam Café": the first and only Muslim comedy show to be aired on national television in a Western country.

For many Australian Muslims, the show is a breath of fresh air, finally giving a voice to Muslim moderates. In recent years, relations between Australian Muslims and non-Muslims hardly have been harmonious. In December 2005, racist riots in Sydney’s south made headlines around the world. An incident on the beach triggered 5,000 people to take to the street to protest against the presence of Middle Eastern youths in their suburb.

More recently, the construction of an Islamic school on the outskirts of Sydney was violently opposed by sections of the local community. The council ended up rejecting the project, claiming it would disturb local traffic.

Professor Kevin Dunn, from the University of Western Sydney, says there’s been what he calls an accumulation of islamophobia in Australia, which is not unusual in Western countries, he adds.

Dunn recently conducted a survey to map out Australians attitudes towards Islam. He found about a third of Australians don’t know anything about Islam, and about half know only a little bit. Altogether, that’s 8 out of 10 Australians being in real ignorance about Islam.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Bump.

glo
06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
A Muslim comedy show? That sounds fun!
(I didn't even know such a thing existed ...)

Are there any internet links, I wonder?

Uthman
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi glo,

There is already a canadian comedy show called 'Little mosque on the prairie'. See if you can find an episode on youtube - tell me if you find it amusing! I have never really watched it myself - only heard of it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
You might want to search for Salam Cafe on youtube, while you're at it!

Whatsthepoint
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
That's great!

format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
On a Wednesday night in Sydney’s Hills district, a group of friends is gathering in front of their TV set to watch "Salam Café": the first and only Muslim comedy show to be aired on national television in a Western country.
What about The Little Mosque On The Prairie? It runs on CBC.

Whatsthepoint
06-18-2008, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Hi glo,

There is already a canadian comedy show called 'Little mosque on the prairie'. See if you can find an episode on youtube - tell me if you find it amusing! I have never really watched it myself - only heard of it.
I watched it before and did not find it amusing, not because it's islamic but because it's canadian I guess.

Pygoscelis
06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Ya, blatant ripoff of Little Mosque on the Prarie. :p

Actually I've only seen a couple episodes of Little Mosque and didn't find it terribly funny. I think they were too concerned with offending people and the humor suffered as a result.

If you want a truly funny canadian show, see Corner Gas. Seasons 1 to 4 can be seen online for free (and perfectly legal, no YouTube copyright concerns) at CTV.ca
Its about a very small town in the middle of knowhere, Saskatchewan Canada. They constantly poke fun at small town life and its pretty funny at times. Great show really, its too bad its in its final season now (season 5). Corner Gas is like the Canadian version of Seinfeld.

glo
06-19-2008, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Actually I've only seen a couple episodes of Little Mosque and didn't find it terribly funny. I think they were too concerned with offending people and the humor suffered as a result.
I find too much comedy these days makes fun at other peoples' expense. Personally, I don't find that very funny at all ... :X

Surely there must be a way of being funny without being offensive ...

I still haven't found a video of the programme on youtube. Does anybody have any links?

Uthman
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Salam Cafe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SeQPAJt6caU

Little mosque on the prairie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_I4YrgGHCXE

:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.