/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Cross?

reasonableph8th
06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm in the very elementary stages of learning about Islam and have another question: It is taught that Jesus did not die on the cross, correct? I have heard it taught that Judas took his place on that Cross. Is this a prevalant teaching in Islam? What percentage (would you guess) of Muslims believe this?

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S1aveofA11ah
06-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Its actually in the Qur'an:

“But Allaah raised him up (with his body and soul) unto Himself…” [al-Nisa’ 4:158]

Jesus (peace be upon him) has not died yet; Allaah raised him up unto Himself because the Jews wanted to kill him, and he will descend again at the end of time and rule the earth according to Islam.

This is actually a fundamental belief in Islam about the Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him). Check out more details here:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3221/j...id%20not%20die

MustafaMc
06-17-2008, 01:48 AM
I agree that it is a fundamental belief that Jesus did not die on the cross as it is clearly so stated in the Quran. However, I don't recall reading in the Quran or in the hadith that Judas died in Jesus' place. And Allah knows best.

reasonableph8th
06-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Thank you for clearing up what happened to Jesus for me; I appreciate it. What about the 'Judas' part? It says that "the resemblance of ‘Eesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)." Is it a prevalent idea that this one was Judas? Anyone here hold that view? Or is it just believed that no one really knows?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
06-17-2008, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by reasonableph8th
What about the 'Judas' part? It says that "the resemblance of ‘Eesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)." Is it a prevalent idea that this one was Judas? Anyone here hold that view? Or is it just believed that no one really knows?
I assume that you were quoting from an ahadith. If so, please quote the whole hadith and the compiler (e.g. Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Dawood). I have the Alim software at home to search through hadith, but I am presently away on a trip.

I did a search on Islamicity.com and found this ayat in the Quran Yusuf Ali translation 4:157 That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not.

The Quran does not specify the means by which people thought that Jesus had been crucified. Perhaps it is clarified in hadith, but I can't comment on that right now.

reasonableph8th
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
It was from the link that S1aveofA11ah listed, and maybe came from al-Nisa’ 4:155-159?

coddles76
08-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Peace be upon you.

Here is the passages you specified and no where does it mention Judas.

[4:155] (They have incurred divine displeasure): in that they broke their Covenant; that they rejected the Signs of Allah; that they slew the Messengers in defiance of right; that they said, "Our hearts are the wrappings (which preserve Allah's Word; we need no more)"; nay Allah hath set the seal on their hearts for their blasphemy, and little is it they believe.

[4:156] That they rejected Faith; that they uttered against Maryam a grave false charge;

[4:157] That they said (in boast), "We killed Al-Masih 'Isa the son of Maryam, the Messenger of Allah"; but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not.

[4:158] Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise.

[4:159] And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgment he will be a witness against them.

Hope this helps

Muslim Woman
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Salaam/peace;

I have heard it taught that Judas took his place on that Cross.

Quran does not mention any name. Most probably , it's in Bible of Barnabas where Judas name is mentioned ( not 100% sure :-[ )

Imam
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm in the very elementary stages of learning about Islam and have another question: It is taught that Jesus did not die on the cross, correct? I have heard it taught that Judas took his place on that Cross. Is this a prevalant teaching in Islam? What percentage (would you guess) of Muslims believe this?

Thank you.
:sl:

here is the answer from my last post in another thread......

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...s-islam-4.html

Allah bless

anatolian
08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
The normative teaching is that the prophet Isa was not crucified or murdered by no way.He was rescued by Allah but Allah made it appear to the Jews so.

But the Judas part is a speculation.It has been a general explanation/assumption of the scholars always about the story.Maybe no one was replaced with Jesus or maybe another one was replaced or another thing..I don't know the reason of the general assumption of the scholars about Judas.Maybe they read the Bible and found that possible.

Actually,I think there are some traces in the Psalms for this scenario.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.