/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suicide - NOT A WAY OUT

------
06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
:salamext:

Committing Suicide Is Not a Way Out!
Question:
Dear scholars, As-Salaam `Alaykum. Religion is indeed a burden to me and I can't bear it. As a result of this, I know that I will be deprived of the great bounties of Paradise and that I will be punished in the Hell-Fire. I sought the advice of more than 5 Imams and they all gave me their advice, which doesn’t work.

Thus, I have decided that I would commit suicide as soon as I find an appropriate time. It is not fun to know that one will be deprived of Paradise. I have a question. If I commit suicide, will I abide in Hell forever and ever? What I mean is, will I ever enter Paradise if I commit that crime or not? I read in a Hadith that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, is reported to have said: "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide. On that, Allah said, "My servant caused death upon himself hurriedly and I forbid Jannah (Paradise) for him.” Jazakum Allah khayran.
Answer:

Wa`alykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thank you very much for having confidence in us and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah’s Sake, meet your expectations.

First of all, we'd like to know the reason behind your considering the religion a burden you can’t bear!

What we want to say is that Islam is an easy religion that is within everybody’s capacity. Those who take a difficult approach in religion and try to convince themselves that carrying out religious commands and putting into effect the religious tenets is a burden will undoubtedly find it, not only a burden, but a heavy load that is difficult to bear.

Dear brother, we wonder why do you try to convince yourself that inability to carry out your religious duties will inevitably cause you to dwell in Hell permanently!

Though your question doesn’t refer to specific sinful acts that might have filled you with such despair, we would like to bring to your awareness that those who are said to dwell forever in Hell-Fire are those who associate other partners along with Allah!

We’d also like to inform you that Allah Almighty forgives all sins except for the great sin of unbelief. Allah Almighty says: “Lo! Allah forgiveth not that a partner should be ascribed unto Him. He forgiveth (all) save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribeth partners to Allah, he hath indeed invented a tremendous sin.” (An-Nisaa': 48)

Now, let your heart be at ease dear brother, and do convince yourself that all of us are flesh and human beings who are liable to committing mistakes. All of us, for sure, err, but Allah forgives our sins and wipes them out if we are sincere in our repentance, true to our causes and determined in our intention.

Dearest brother, as there is pleasure, so there is pain; as there is happiness and joy, there is also trouble and suffering. Each experience we have is meant to teach us something. No one goes through this life without experiencing some type of problem. Try to think of what lesson Allah Almighty is trying to teach you. Concerning this, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "No weariness nor illness nor sorrow nor sadness nor hurt nor distress befalls a Muslim, even to the pricking of a thorn, without Allah's expiating some of his sins by it."

It might be hard right now to think of the positive things in your life but try to appreciate and be grateful for what you do have. Allah tells us that after every hardship comes ease, so remember that there is no situation that will remain permanent. Be sure that after darkness there will be light and dawn will soon be followed by daybreak. Life is full of hardships but Muslims must accept this as part of their test, and to face them with patience.

Originally, suicide is an act that is totally forbidden in Islam. Suicide is not an option for you. Islamic teachings tell us that in committing suicide, one will incur the wrath of Allah to the extent that after death, one will suffer eternal punishment, i.e. a person committing suicide will be made to kill himself over and over again by the same means with which he took his own life.

Referring to the aforementioned fact, Thabit Ibn Ad-Dahhaak quoted the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying:

“Whoever intentionally swears falsely by a religion other than Islam, then he is what he has said (e.g. if he says, 'If such thing is not true then I am a Jew,' he is really a Jew). And whoever commits suicide with piece of iron will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell-Fire.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

Also the Hadith you quoted: the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, is also reported to have said: "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him.”

This is a horrible fate for anyone. Nothing in our lives could be so out of control to the extent of considering ending our lives, especially knowing the punishment that is awaiting us if we choose to do so.

The common reason behind thinking of suicide is always despair. As regards the remedy of this state, we’d like also to cite the following:

“The remedy is hope. Allah made hopelessness unlawful by saying, “Do not despair of Allah's mercy.” (Yusuf: 87) Thus, no matter at what level of despair, depression and frustration we are, whether loss of a loved one or a job, or as the result of anger from someone else, we must not give up hope as there is a ray of hope at the end of the tunnel. The greatest hope is mercy from Allah.

Hope is the medicine which keeps one alive and going, which is when we say, hang on, we mean hang onto the thread of hope. It is not unnatural to be sad over situations and events. Even Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, used to be sad, looking at the plight of Unbelievers and their rejection of his message for Oneness of Allah, and not becoming Muslims. And Allah reminded him by saying, "Lo! thou (O Muhammad) guidest not whom thou lovest, but Allah guideth whom He will." (Al-Qasas: 56)

During dejection, there is darkness, but in hope, there is light. Therefore, one must pray for this light to illuminate the heart so that we can see beyond what is causing the suffering today. If I knew that I would not see tomorrow, I might get depressed, but the fact that I hope I will see tomorrow with all its goodness, the love of my family, my friends, dear ones, the flowers, that I go to sleep in peace, turning myself to Allah. We must pray for Allah's mercy and forgiveness so that we can love and forgive ourselves and Allah's other creations and have peace with ourselves, our Creator, and our surroundings.

We Muslims believe that all our suffering, failures and adversities are nothing but a test from Allah, who has said, “And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives and crops; but give glad tidings to the steadfast, who say, when a misfortune striketh them: Lo! To Allah we belong and unto Him we are returning.” (Al-Baqarah: 155-56)”
[Source: http://www.soundvision.com]

May Allah guide you to the straight path and direct you to that which pleases Him, Ameen.

Source

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.