/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dreams from an Islamic Perspective

crayon
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
I've had two very very very vivid dreams lately, and I've been pondering over what they might mean. I don't know much about dreams as seen by islam, so I've got a few questions:

-there's a ro'ya and a regular dream; how does one tell the difference?
-is there such a thing as a bad ro'ya?
-if so, can you tell it to someone so they tell you what it means?
-are those dream interpretation books accurate? (muslim ones, of course)
-how does one go about interpreting their dream the islamic way?

Jazakum Allah Khair, thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
06-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullah,

Dreams are of three types: rahmaani (those that come from Allaah), nafsaani (psychological, they come from within a person) and shaytaani (those that come from the Shaytaan). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: a dream from Allaah, a dream which causes distress and which comes from the Shaytaan, and a dream which comes from what a person thinks about when he is awake, and he sees it when he is asleep.” (al-Bukhaari, 6499; Muslim, 4200)

The dreams of the Prophets are wahy (revelation) for they are protected from the Shaytaan. The Ummah is agreed upon this. This is why Ibraaheem set out to fulfil the command of Allaah to sacrifice his son Ismaa’eel when he saw that in a dream; may peace be upon them both.

The dreams of people other than the Prophets are to be examined in the light of the clear Wahy [i.e., the Qur’aan and Sunnah]. If they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, all well and good; otherwise, they should not be acted upon. This is a very serious matter indeed, for many of the innovators among the Sufis and others have gone astray because of this.

Whoever wants to have true dreams should strive to speak honestly, eat halaal food, adhere to the commandments of sharee’ah, avoid that which Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have forbidden, sleep in a state of complete purity facing the Qiblah, and remember Allaah until he feels his eyelids drooping. If he does all this, then his dreams can hardly be untrue.
This is a good read on Dreams and Dream Interpretations..

:w: :)

crayon
06-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Jazak Allah Khair, brother, a very helpful link.

I have a question about this part, though:
All dreams are either of two types:
true dreams. These are the dreams of the Prophets and of the righteous people who follow them. They may also happen to other people, but this is very rare, such as the dream of the kaafir king which was interpreted for him by Yoosuf (peace be upon him). True dreams are those which come true in real life as they were seen in the dream.

Mixed up false dreams, which warn of something. These are of different types:
games of the Shaytaan to make a person distressed, such as when he sees his head cut off and he is following it, or he sees himself falling into a crisis and cannot find anyone to save him from it, and so on.
When he sees some of the angels telling him to do something forbidden, or other things that cannot possibly make sense.
When he sees something that happens to him in real life, or he wishes it would happen, and he sees it very realistically in his dream; or he see what usually happens to him when he is awake or what reflects his mood. These dreams usually speak of the future or the present, rarely of the past.

What of the future or present to false dreams speak? What if it is a true dream that comes true in the future, like the one with Yusuf and the king? How do we know which one it is?

Also, can a rahmani dream be of something bad? It says bad dreams are from the shaytan, so a dream that portrays something bad HAS to be from the shaytan? If that makes sense...

Sorry if I'm confusing everyone, lol....

crayon
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Bump...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I've had two very very very vivid dreams lately, and I've been pondering over what they might mean. I don't know much about dreams as seen by islam, so I've got a few questions:

-there's a ro'ya and a regular dream; how does one tell the difference?
-is there such a thing as a bad ro'ya?
-if so, can you tell it to someone so they tell you what it means?
-are those dream interpretation books accurate? (muslim ones, of course)
-how does one go about interpreting their dream the islamic way?

Jazakum Allah Khair, thanks.

There is a book by Muhammad al-Jibaly called The Dreamer's Handbook (I take it you're from america so here is a link to the american darussalam website) http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma...ode=Eng_Jibaly

crayon
06-23-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll definitely check those out, jazak Allah khair brother!

'Abd-al Latif
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I'll definitely check those out, jazak Allah khair brother!
BarakAllah feek

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.