/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Americans rich in diversity

Uthman
06-21-2008, 09:31 AM
As a professor of sociology who studies U.S. Muslim assimilation patterns, I have analyzed numerous nationwide polls of American Muslims on a variety of topics. U.S. Muslims are a diverse, well-informed group; in fact, they are the most ethnically diverse Muslim population in the world. They come from more than 80 countries on four continents. Most are not Arab. Not all are immigrants. None are Barack Obama.

One-fifth are U.S.-born black Muslims (mainly converts), and a few are U.S.-born Anglo and Hispanic converts. The vast majority of Muslim immigrants have lived here 10 or more years, and they resemble the general U.S. population in their socioeconomic status. Most are employed, a quarter have a bachelor's degree or higher, and a quarter earn $75,000 a year or more.

U.S. Muslims are also like most Americans in another important way: They are not uniformly religious. Nearly half (46.7%) attend a mosque seldom, never or only a few times a year. About one-fourth go weekly, and one-third go more than once a week, proportions similar to those of U.S. Christians and Jews. More Christians say they pray daily than do U.S. Muslims -- 70% to 61%.

Because so many are recent immigrants and not yet eligible to vote, only 63% of U.S. Muslims are registered, compared to the national average of 76%. But Muslims are slightly more likely than most citizens to have contacted a politician and, like other racial and ethnic minorities, are a bit more likely to be Democrats.

None of this tells us how U.S. Muslims feel on the issues or how they may vote in November. Predictably, polls show they disagree with the general public on U.S. Middle East policy: A much smaller percentage of Muslims thinks the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan were "the right decision." But a majority of U.S. Muslims are like most Americans in opposing gay marriage (76% vs. 69%), favoring more government spending for the needy (73% vs. 63%), and disapproving of President George W. Bush's job performance (67% vs. 59%).

On procreation and gender issues, U.S. Muslims actually line up with the Christian right rather than the general public: 75% of U.S. Muslims oppose abortion and 59% want the government to do more to protect morality in society.

This natural Muslim-Right alliance has yet to be reflected in domestic politics, but perhaps the time is coming. First, though, both politicians and the rest of the American public need to begin seeing U.S. Muslims for who they really are. It turns out they're far more diverse and interesting than those images of robotically praying men and have a lot in common with mainstream America. It's time their public image reflected this reality.

Jen'nan Ghazal Read

Associate professor, Duke University, and a Carnegie scholar studying Muslim-American political assimilation.

Durham, N.C.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
06-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Musaafirah
06-22-2008, 05:54 PM
i dunno, are they trying to say that Muslims are surprisingly 'people'?
What's used to classify Mainstream America..why is there a study to find out specifically the attitudes and thoughts of muslims as if they are a different species?
I don't mean to sound harsh or anything..but I find these articles a bit patonising..

Uthman
06-22-2008, 06:27 PM
:sl:

Firstly, I thank you for your post. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
i dunno, are they trying to say that Muslims are surprisingly 'people'?
What's used to classify Mainstream America..why is there a study to find out specifically the attitudes and thoughts of muslims as if they are a different species?
I don't mean to sound harsh or anything..but I find these articles a bit patonising..
I take your point sister, but I think there are two ways of looking at this. The reality is that there are certain individuals who view Muslims as completely different species. I think an article like this goes some way towards proving those people wrong.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
06-22-2008, 06:41 PM
"and disapproving of President George W. Bush's job performance"

I thought that was like......everyone?

snakelegs
06-23-2008, 01:17 AM
no, sadly, it is not. i have actually heard such specimens with my own ears.
amazing, isn't it? :unhappy:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.