/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lander Finds Ice on Mars!!!

Güven
06-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Lander Finds Ice on Mars, Scientists Say
Discovery Is Key Clue In Determining Whether Planet Supported Life

By David Brown
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, June 21, 2008; Page A01

Scientists with the Phoenix Mars mission yesterday declared for certain that there is ice on the Red Planet, putting them an essential step closer to answering the question that has driven three decades of Mars exploration and centuries of Earth-bound speculation: Could there have been life there?

Pictures beamed 170 million miles to Earth from the Phoenix lander atop Mars's northern polar plain erased any doubt about the presence of ice, they said.

But the evidence came in a roundabout way. Last Sunday, several dice-size solids were observed at the bottom of a trench that had been dug by Phoenix's robotic arm. On Thursday, they were gone.

The only reasonable explanation, the scientists said, is that the objects were pieces of ice that evaporated into the dry Martian atmosphere through a process called sublimation. And the presence of ice means that Mars might once have had liquid water, which is essential for life -- at least as it is known on Earth.

Attachment 3415
A trench dug by the Phoenix lander reveals white ice beneath the surface soil of Mars. Scientists say they are sure it is frozen water and not salt. (Nasa Via Associated Press)

It is too soon to know whether the entire astrophysical community will accept the disappearing objects reported yesterday as proof, but the Phoenix researchers said they do not need any more convincing.

The rocket thrusters that slowed Phoenix to a soft landing revealed a white, hard substance in the ground beneath it -- and tantalizingly out of reach -- when the lander touched down on May 25. Similar white material was visible when the robotic arm began to dig below the top few inches of Martian soil.

One possibility was that it was salt of some sort. But ice was always the more likely explanation.

"Salt does not behave like that," said Mark Lemmon, a scientist at Texas A&M University who is in charge of Phoenix's stereo surface imager. "We found what we were looking for. This tells us we have water ice within reach of the arm."

Although Mars is much too cold now to have liquid water on its surface, scientists believe that may not have always been the case. Images from as far back as the Viking missions in the 1970s revealed channels and gullies that appear to have been carved by flowing liquid at some point in the planet's history.

The Mars Odyssey orbiter, using a device called a gamma ray spectrometer, proved in 2002 that huge quantities of hydrogen existed under the Martian topsoil. Although many compounds are high in hydrogen (including petroleum), the scientists believe the only one that could be there in such quantity is water ice, which consists of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom.

"I don't know how you could have so much hydrogen under the surface, and something that disappears at just the temperature of ice, and have it not be ice," said Peter Smith, a physicist at the University of Arizona who is the principal investigator for the Phoenix mission.

The researchers chose Mars's northern polar plain as the craft's landing site specifically because they believed it would give them the best chance of finding ice. They now believe their hunch was correct

"If you were to get a big broom and sweep it off, we are on a big ice sheet," Smith said.

Water is necessary for life but is far from sufficient. Scientists will also have to find a fair amount of carbon before they are willing to say the planet might have been habitable. Carbon forms the chemical backbone of proteins and fats, and in addition to water it is the major constituent of living cells and tissue.

"The ice may always be in a frozen state," Smith said, noting that without liquid water, the formation of life is hard to imagine. "If you have ice and no food, it is not a habitable zone."

The researchers are extremely interested to know what compounds may be frozen into the ice or, more likely, contained in the dry, reddish soil covering it.

Among the instruments on the lander is a panel of miniature ovens in which Martian soil will be heated to about 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit. Compounds containing carbon will be vaporized and then chemically analyzed.

The first load of dirt is cooking and will probably be finished today, Lemmon said. Analyzing the results will then take several days.

The researchers hope to get a piece of ice into one of the ovens at some point. Once sealed off from the atmosphere and heated, it would probably have a brief life as liquid water before becoming vapor, Lemmon said.

If the scientists find carbon compounds of the right size and makeup, they will be able to refine their guesses about Mars's life-supporting potential. However, no instrument on the Phoenix mission will be able to prove with certainty that life once existed there -- or that it never has.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062003250.html:D

:skeleton::skeleton:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Holly3278
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Awesome! :D I love it when they make such neat findings as this! :)

Ninth_Scribe
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM

The Ninth Scribe

Güven
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
^^looool;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ninth_Scribe
06-25-2008, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
^^looool;D
That is from my news archives for June 2nd, 2008. I try to archive funny stuff as well as important news articles, keeps me from getting too depressed. :)

The Ninth Scribe

Muezzin
06-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Linkage required.

Update: Linkage no longer required. Thanks.

Gator
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ce-update.html

Ninth_Scribe
06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Linkage required.

Update: Linkage no longer required. Thanks.
There is no link. I keep scrap books of every news article. I've done this since December 31st, 1999. At the time, I thought it would be kind of neat, but I've since learned it can also be very useful. For instance, on June 5th of this year there was an article that said one of the U.S. marines who was charged in connection with the murders in Haditha, was acquitted. I almost went through the ceiling, but I checked his name against the archived articles I had from 2005 to 2006 and found he was just one of the investigating officers who arrived on the scene after the fact. He was charged with obstruction of justice, but one could hardly argue he was involved in a cover-up if the four marines who were directly involved, were charged with the murders. Any way, I keep all these records because it's just too much for my brain to remember every name and every event. Here's what the records for June 2008 look like, and I've included the page that had the comic sketch so you'll get the idea of what I do:

The Ninth Scribe

Muezzin
06-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Ah. I was referring to the original poster. I'll try to clarify in future. :)

Cool scrapbook, mind you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.