/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Umar's Advice on Staying Healthy

'Abd al-Baari
06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Hazrat Umar Advice on Staying Healthy

‘Umar RA was concerned about the people’s health. He would warn them against the consquences and dangers of being fat, and would advise them to lose weight, because that would give them strenth to strive and enable them to fulfill their duties. He used to say: “O people, beware of eating too much, for it makes you lazy in prayer, is bad for your body and causes sickness. Allah hates the fat man. Rather you should be moderate in your eating, for that is closer to righteousness and farther removed from extravagance, and makes one stronger to worship Allah. No person will be doomed unless he gives precedence to his desires over his religious commitment.”[1]

Ibn al-Jawzi stated that ‘Umar saw a man with a huge belly and said: “What is this?” He said, “A blessing from Allah.” He said, “Rather it is a punishment from Allah.”[2]

With regard to his concern for the good health of the citizens, he used to forbid anyone who had a stomach disease to mix with the people, so as to prevent the spread of disease. He would advise the sick to stay at home until they got better. And it is narrated that he passed by a woman who had leprosy when she was on her way to the Ka’bah. He said to her: “O Female slave of Allah, why don’t you stay in your home and not harm the people?” So she stayed at home. Later on a man passed by her and said, “The one who told you (not to go out) has died, so go out.” She said, “By Allah, I will not obey him whilst he is alive and disobey him when he is dead.”[3]

He also used to emphasize the importance of exercise, horsemanship and horseback riding. He used to say: “Teach your children swimming and archery, and train them to be proficient on horseback, and teach them some beautiful poetry.”[4]

It was narrated from ash-Shifaa’ bint Abdullah that she saw some people who walked slowly and spoke slowly. She said: “Who are these?” They said, “Ascetics.” She said, “By Allah, when ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab spoke, he could be heard, when he walked he walked fast, when he hit he caused pain, and by Allah, he was a true ascetic.”[6]

A man came swinging his arms and strutting, and ‘Umar said to him: “Stop walking like that.” He said, “I cannot.” ‘Umar whipped him, then he strutted, and he whipped him again and he stopped strutting. ‘Umar said, “If i do not whip one like this then who should I whip?” The man came to him after that and said, “May Allah reward you with good; it was nothing but a Shaytan whom Allah sent away through you.”[7]

[1] Al-Khaleefah al-Farooq, by Dr.’Abdur Rahman al-’Ani
[2] Manaaqib Ameer al-Mu’mineen, p.200
[3] Al-Khaleefah al-Farooq, p.124 quoting from ar-Riyad an-Nadrah
[4] ibid p.125
[6] Ash-Shaykhan min Riwayat al-Baladhuri
[7] Akhbar ‘Umar, p.175

WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullah. :)

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hrm
08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Baari
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Hazrat Umar Advice on Staying Healthy

‘Umar RA was concerned about the people’s health. He would warn them against the consquences and dangers of being fat, and would advise them to lose weight, because that would give them strenth to strive and enable them to fulfill their duties. He used to say: O people, beware of eating too much, for it makes you lazy in prayer, is bad for your body and causes sickness. Allah hates the fat man. Rather you should be moderate in your eating, for that is closer to righteousness and farther removed from extravagance, and makes one stronger to worship Allah. No person will be doomed unless he gives precedence to his desires over his religious commitment.”[1]

Ibn al-Jawzi stated that ‘Umar saw a man with a huge belly and said: “What is this?” He said, “A blessing from Allah.” He said, “Rather it is a punishment from Allah.”[2]

WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullah. :)

Source
:sl::statisfie
SubhanAllah. Look at the saying of our great Caliph r.z. This was said more than a thousand years ago and look at what the modern health science is dicovering today. Alhumdullah. How true. All in conformity. Eating but light meal and regular excercise keep the mind and body healthy and active. During my stay in USA I came across a new medical research that recommends " regular excercise" and they have described regular excercise as " 3 times a week 20 min walk each time" That's it? I was amazed. Before this it was thought regular meant everyday toiling.
:statisfie

Omar Abdi
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
:sl:
Masha Allah
very usefull . May god bless you and us all

:wa:

hrm
08-22-2009, 06:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar Abdi
:sl:
Masha Allah
very usefull . May god bless you and us all

:wa:
:sl::statisfie
I read this on a billboard recently and thought I should share it

"Eat Less to Live Longer"

:statisfie :statisfie :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.