/* */

PDA

View Full Version : After the Historical Race Speech, Obama Should Address Islam and the West

Uthman
06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
The barring of two Muslim women from sitting behind Barack Obama during his Detroit rally Monday illustrates that now more than ever, Barack Obama must address the issue of Islamophobia in the United States in an exclusive speech.

Rally volunteers were concerned that the Muslim women wearing their traditional headscarves would appear on camera with Obama, thus giving Obama's opponents the opportunity to suggest that Obama is pro-Islam and, therefore, pro-terrorist. Yet this was not just an "unfortunate" experience for Aref and Shimaa Abdelfadeel, the two women involved in the incident; rather, it is a bold reflection of a deep-rooted fear about the Muslim identity in the United States, which has become a matter of security, a fear which harms many Muslims everyday.

The fear expressed by the volunteers is a general reflection of what the Bush administration, mainstream media, Hollywood, and, recently, a part of blogsphere have done to portray Islam and Muslims as a security threat rather than a historical culture with its own identity.

By asking the Abedelfadeels to remove their scarves before being seated, the volunteers bluntly showed the penetration of this fear into the campaign. Any connection to Islam, is automatically perceived as a negative factor for Obama campaign.

Evidently, seven years after the declaration of the "war on terror", little has changed regarding the general mood of Americans towards Muslims. No wonder, Republicans and their advocates help spread this fear by suggesting that Obama's childhood connection to Islam is a valid reason why Americans should not vote for him.

However, one of Obama's major foreign policy challenges is dealing with the predominantly Muslim countries of the Middle East and as a result Obama's personal understanding of the most dominant religion in the region should be something that is welcomed, not criticized.

Millions of moderate Muslims have been the first victims of the failed policies of the war on terror doctrine. They want to see a man in White House who has a basic understanding of "other" religions, ethnicities, and cultures. Obama's knowledge of Islam could help the United States find ways to address terrorism without senseless and violent military attacks.

Though race has been one of the deepest, oldest struggles in United States, religion, specifically, the way in which the United States perceives and interacts with Muslims, is one of the country's most vital, urgent and crucial international issues. Americans may cast their votes based more so on the candidate's stance in domestic issues, but Obama's campaign should also highlight for voters the importance of international issues and how foreign and domestic policy are interrelated.

Obama should use his understanding of different faiths to help voters realize the commonalities among all religions and challenge the identity the "War on Terror" Era has left Muslims. He should emphasize that terrorists, not Muslims, are the enemy, and terrorists can be found among the supporters of all religions.

Like McDonald's, Disneyland, Starbucks, and other cultural symbols, America's horrible characterization of Islam has spread to other countries. With a speech on this issue, Obama could start to end this trend.

Just a few days ago, I was amazed watching a movie on the "modern terrorism." The Russian documentary "World War 3" depicted the effects of stereotyped hate speech centered around Muslims and Islam as a whole. This was screening at the United Nations, not at a radical right-wing organization in Washington. It was graphic, even offensive to some of the attendees, but it left one question unanswered: with this horrible global mischaracterization of the Islam and Muslims, how can America deal with this huge amount of hate and cynicism in the coming years?

Unfortunately, the widespread nature of this mischaracterization makes it hard for even people knowledgeable of current events to distinguish the Muslim reality from the myth.

Millions of Muslims worldwide closely follow the US election process, and they should not be treated with disrespect and prejudice as the Abedelfadeels were for wanting to express their religious beliefs along with their political affiliation.

Obama, As the next President of the United States, will not be able to negotiate with either America's friends and foes as long as American culture continues to propagate such a gross mischaracterization of Muslims.

Just as he addressed the issue of race during the Pennsylvania primary, Obama should address America's islamophobia. In a speech he can say that by reducing the whole Islamic World and all its contributions in world history to a few terrorists groups and characterizing Muslims as security threats, America has done itself more harm than good. Hate mongering and ignorance are the foundations of terrorism. Such a speech clarifying this point would beneficial for both Muslims and the United States.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
For political reasons, Obama will not give a speech about Islam/American relations. He doesn't want to be connected with Islam politically. Obama might address the issue of the two Muslim women that were removed, but that too was political. People are removed from the camera position during a political speech all the time. Most of the time they are placed there purposely to give the politician a nice backdrop. In the current political climate, having Muslim women in headscarves as a backdrop to a political event just isn't smart campaigning. It might not be right, but that is the way it works.

Al-Zaara
06-22-2008, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
For political reasons, Obama will not give a speech about Islam/American relations. He doesn't want to be connected with Islam politically. Obama might address the issue of the two Muslim women that were removed, but that too was political. People are removed from the camera position during a political speech all the time. Most of the time they are placed there purposely to give the politician a nice backdrop. In the current political climate, having Muslim women in headscarves as a backdrop to a political event just isn't smart campaigning. It might not be right, but that is the way it works.
True. Islam's situation in America is not stable, he'd loose much support if he even tried to "help" Islam's situation right now, at least.

north_malaysian
06-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Maybe Muslims would vote for a third candidate...not republican or democrat

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Maybe Muslims would vote for a third candidate...not republican or democrat
They can, but except reps and dems other political groups are meaningless.

north_malaysian
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
They can, but except reps and dems other political groups are meaningless.
If the Muslims/Arabs voted for a third candidate.... thus McCain can be the President....who knows

Amadeus85
06-23-2008, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
If the Muslims/Arabs voted for a third candidate.... thus McCain can be the President....who knows
Yeah, without these few million muslim votes democrats would rather loose with republicans, but I guess that it is not what muslim wants so whats the use of voting on the third candidate?
PS- In both Americas at least half of the Arabs are christians from Egypt,Lebanon,Syria etc.

SixTen
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Obama, when he was under fire - should have focused being pro-Islam while being anti-terrorism, instead of trying to create a barrier between himself and Islam, making it look like he has hidden agendas.

SixTen
06-23-2008, 03:23 PM
By Pro-Islam, I mean, seperating it from terrorism - and hence be unashamed of any connections to muslims.

The_Prince
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
you know i would feel bad, but i dont, these Muslims and any other deserve to be humiliated when they join sides with people like obama, its sad Muslims actually think obama is a good guy and will change things, how wrong all of you are, and just wait and see.....its time you peeps wake up and realize your looked down upon, and are seen as a threat, but we Muslims like to blind ourselves and act like theres not a problem and no no no they really do like us! keep blinding yourselves folks it will only lead to more and more and more humiliating events like this.

snakelegs
06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
i agree with this
By Pro-Islam, I mean, seperating it from terrorism - and hence be unashamed of any connections to muslims.
however, the hijab story is somewhat of a non-story. he has apparently called the women and apologized and apparently doesn't have a problem with hijabis.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...obama_economy/

i am not crazy about obama by any means but i preferred him to clinton and i prefer him for sure to mc cain. though as the_prince said, i don't see any major changes if he gets elected.

NYCmuslim
06-23-2008, 11:19 PM
I do agree that he will not talk about Islam for political reasons. Unfortunately it will taint his campaign. I bet you he will if he becomes president though. I think the main reason is due to how the media will purport it. I mean, if giving a "pound" to his wife was called a terrorist fist bump by FOX, then imagine how they can make him seem like a bad guy just because he is talking about Islam.

In the end, we have to do a better job as muslims so something like this won't even be considered an issue.

TrueStranger
06-23-2008, 11:56 PM
:sl:

I don't think i will ever vote for anyone who lacks Islamic knowledge to lead any nation. I would have to hold myself partially responsible for helping elect a leader which doesn't call the people to Islam.

:w:

Uthman
06-24-2008, 06:25 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
I don't think i will ever vote for anyone who lacks Islamic knowledge to lead any nation. I would have to hold myself partially responsible for helping elect a leader which doesn't call the people to Islam.
I think that's very wise, sister. But remember that there is an established principle of the 'lesser of two evils' in the Shari'ah. So if all the candidates are bad, then we should vote for the one which is the least bad if you know what I mean.

:w:

north_malaysian
06-24-2008, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
PS- In both Americas at least half of the Arabs are christians from Egypt,Lebanon,Syria etc.
In USA - there are 4 million Arabs - 75% are Christians
In Brazil - there are 12 million Arabs - 90% are Christians...

:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.