/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How Dare You Not Love Ataturk?

snakelegs
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
turkey must take the prize for the most militant secularism in the world.

How dare you not love Atatürk?!
Saturday, June 14, 2008

Love cannot be imposed. If you want all citizens to appreciate Atatürk as The Father of All Turks, then you should make him the symbol of freedom and justice for all

Mustafa AKYOL
The ultra-secular camp in Turkey has just found a new reason to bolster its campaign of fear. Two young ladies wearing the much-hated Islamic headscarf showed up on a TV program, and one of them declared, “I don’t like Atatürk.” The other even said she rather has sympathy for Ayatollah Khomeini, the leader of the Iranian revolution. And hell broke loose.

No, it is not just the secularist media that unleashed its wrath on these ladies, namely Nuray Bezirgan and Kevser Çakır. The prosecutors have also caught on. The other day, an Istanbul prosecutor announced that an investigation has been launched in order to file a case against these university students for violating the “Law on Crimes Against Atatürk.” If they get penalized for this “felony,” then it will mean that the level of our official thought control has been raised from orange to red. Every Turkish citizen will have to love the Eternal Leader in order to avoid jail.

Not suppressed enough?:

I think the more reasonable secularists will tell you that it will be wrong to prosecute Ms. Bezirgan and Ms. Çakır because of their remarks. Yet, they are arguing that such outrageous ideas show the severity of the “Islamic threat” to the Turkish Republic. They also say that the establishment is right in its authoritarian ways to contain religious practice. “You see,” they reason, “what will happen if we don’t sufficiently suppress these religious bigots.”

Well, could the problem rather be that those “religious bigots” have been suppressed too much?

Let’s just get back to the TV show in question to get some insight. It was journalist Fatih Altaylı who hosted Ms. Bezirgan and Ms. Çakır, who are both university students who wear the headscarf (at least outside the campus). At some point in the show, Mr. Altaylı asked them about Khomeini. Ms. Çakır said she “liked” the late Ayatollah because “he was a Muslim.” Yet when Mr. Altaylı asked them about the current regime in Iran, which is obviously suppressive, both students noted that they don’t approve of it.

The real shocking news came a minute later. Mr. Altaylı asked, “So what about Atatürk, do you love him as well?” Ms. Bezirgan responded first by asking, “Do I have the right not to love him?” And she added, “If yes, then I don’t love him.” Then she said why:

“If people are persecuting me in the name of Atatürk, you can’t expect me to love him.”

When, in return, Mr. Altaylı noted, “Atatürk fought against invasion and saved us from the British yoke,” the young lady gave a very interesting reply. “If the British were here, I actually would have much broader rights,” she said. “That’s the whole point.”

And then she further explained what her problem was with the Kemalist system in Turkey:

“A party which will defend my ideas cannot be found in Turkey. It will be banned. Yes, if any party dares to defend my view, it will be closed down… Muslims work day and night in this country in order to get their rights. Then when Parliament gives them a little right, someone comes and takes those freedoms away from us in the name of Atatürk, or the Republic.”

“What I want,” she finally said, “is a system in which I am totally free, in which my rights and freedoms are not suppressed.”

Thus, fellow columnist Yusuf Kanlı was right yesterday to point out that these ladies “want to wear Islamist attire everywhere, including state offices!” In other words, they want full equal citizenship. What a big heresy for our Republic, which openly favors secular citizens over observant ones...

for the rest of the article go here:
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/a...enewsid=107231

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
06-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Forced love sucks!:blind:

Whatsthepoint
06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Ok, this has gotten a bit too far..

Muslim Knight
06-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Liberalists should leave my country and head for Turkey. That'll teach them to love Islamists.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
:salamext:

Who is Atatürk ?

Souljette
06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Ataturk is a person

The_Prince
06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
lol i think i should make my new youtube video to insult ataturk, become public enemy number 1 in turkey and get youtube closed there. muahahaha.........maybe i will who knows.

Souljette
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Lol ^^

snakelegs
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
lol i think i should make my new youtube video to insult ataturk, become public enemy number 1 in turkey and get youtube closed there. muahahaha.........maybe i will who knows.
ataturk is dead and rotten. the problem is turkey's militant secularism. there is a legal move underway to unseat the present elected government for (are you ready?) "islamist tendencies". (!!!) this is largely because the gov't tried to remove the headscarf ban - (which was re-instated by the courts).

Whatsthepoint
06-24-2008, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -
:salamext:

Who is Atatürk ?
the guy in the middle:

PS: Contrary to the popular belief, it was not Atatüturk who banned headscarfs from public places.

Whatsthepoint
06-24-2008, 07:45 PM
There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.. You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now living in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

The_Prince
06-24-2008, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
ataturk is dead and rotten. the problem is turkey's militant secularism. there is a legal move underway to unseat the present elected government for (are you ready?) "islamist tendencies". (!!!) this is largely because the gov't tried to remove the headscarf ban - (which was re-instated by the courts).
if i made the video it wouldnt be personal against ataturk, it would be more to p!$$ the extreme secular establishment off :statisfie i like controversy and this would be one of the best, :) make an entire countries goverment against you :D i shall ponder over it.

snakelegs
06-24-2008, 08:32 PM
for those who want to know more about ataturk, here is a very brief article. (really hard to find anything brief!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/histori...rk_kemal.shtml
for those really interested, i suggest you do further reading. his is a very major figure in modern history.

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
I wonder if you are so critical about ACLU in your own country Snakelegs.

Al-Zaara
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
He was a very handsome man, Atatürk.
If I remember correctly, it was not Atatürk who banned headscarves from public places, I'm not sure.. Don't care about him that much. I hear more of Tita (as I'm an ex-Yugoslavian).

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
edit: Oh, checked! Thanks, brother Aaron.

Güven
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I didnt want To say Anything But I just Say it , first Of all Sister Al-Zaara Did You Just Say Goodlooking , Oke :X
Second Of All I am Totally Against This Man , he has Changed The Beautiful Country Turkey In to An Nationalistic Secular System And Brainwashed Millions Of people With his Speech Including The Military .
And That They Changed Arabic To Latin Alphabet And That We Cant Read The Qu'ran because of that Proves Alot.
anyway I hope That Turkey changes to What it Was; The Ottoman Empire Insha'Allah :D

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Guven, Ataturk isnt my favourite hero,also Turkey doesnt stick in my mind for 24 hours per day, but we shouldnt forget that he didnt destroy Ottoman Empire. At the start of XX century that empire was in miserable state, loosing every war, and risking the becoming a puppet in the hands of western powers. The destruction of Ottoman Empire didnt begin with Ataturk's born but it started long ago in XVIII century. Since then Turkey was called an "Ill man of Europe".

ajazz
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
I hope That Turkey changes to What it Was; The Ottoman Empire Insha'Allah :D
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Güven
06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Guven, Ataturk isnt my favourite hero,also Turkey doesnt stick in my mind for 24 hours per day, but we shouldnt forget that he didnt destroy Ottoman Empire. At the start of XX century that empire was in miserable state, loosing every war, and risking the becoming a puppet in the hands of western powers. The destruction of Ottoman Empire didnt begin with Ataturk's born but it started long ago in XVIII century. Since then Turkey was called an "Ill man of Europe".
It Was also Nationalism That Destroyed The Ottomans From The Inside And With Him The Nationalism In Turkey Is Complete , He Couldve Handled Differently
And People Admire and Worship Him , I cant Accept That

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
It Was also Nationalism That Destroyed The Ottomans From The Inside And With Him The Nationalism In Turkey Is Complete , He Couldve Handled Differently
And People Admire and Worship Him , I cant Accept That
Did the nationalism also caused Turkey's technological,scientifical. cultural and military backwardness in comparission to Europe these times?

جوري
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
It sure did.. once they have let go of Islam, they have let go of their compulsion to seek knowledge.. for it is one of the pillars they have let go of along like moral decency!

cheers

Güven
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Did the nationalism also caused Turkey's technological,scientifical. cultural and military backwardness in comparission to Europe these times?
Maybe
How come The Ottoman Empire were So Succesful In the Early Days ??

Güven
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
It sure did.. once they have let go of Islam, they have let go of their compulsion to seek knowledge.. for it is one of the pillars they have let go of along like moral decency!

cheers
:thumbs_up

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM

cheers
Its ironic because before nationalists came up to power, there was only religious schools in Ottoman Turkey. No enginery schools,no technical schools, no modern military schools.

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Maybe
How come The Ottoman Empire were So Succesful In the Early Days ??
Maybe their enemies were so weak.

جوري
06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Its ironic because before nationalists came up to power, there was only religious schools in Ottoman Turkey. No enginery schools,no technical schools, no modern military schools.
There is no irony at all.. the latter half of the ottomans were a great corrupt individuals, unlike all the empires that preceded, they have left many great states beneath them a complete prey to the brits/french etc including thesmelves.... I don't want to get into a deep history lesson here.. but you need to know that there was a time when even the brilliant peter the great had to retreat to the ottomans, if you know anything about cities he built and his conquests you'd have to concede that he was in over his head with the ottomans...

I can't blame everything on kamal ataturk singularly but he certainly made corruption from within more obvious.. and now we have lost turkey.. but we are to gain it back with two words insha'Allah as per prophecy.. you can say all that is set in motion is very expected..

cheers

جوري
06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Maybe their enemies were so weak.
If you think peter the great were weak.. you'll need a brush up course on his own private conquests :)

cheers

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
If you think peter the great were weak.. you'll need a brush up course on his own private conquests :)

cheers
I was rather talking about older times, in XV, XVI century. Balkan countries were a few but small and powerless after Bizantium collapse.
Besides, I know that you will gain it back. At least everything is showing that. This is too strong culture to be so easily replaced or wiped off. I am aware of this.Until Ottoman Empire come again at the borders of my country I dont care about it honestly.
Somewhere I read that faith pushed to catacombs doesnt die but savages(didnt it happen already in USA?Who knows). Thats why secularists loose at the end at last.

جوري
06-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I was rather talking about older times, in XV, XVI century. Balkan countries were a few but small and powerless after Bizantium collapse.
Besides, I know that you will gain it back. At least everything is showing that. This is too strong culture to be so easily replaced or wiped off. I am aware of this.Until Ottoman Empire come again at the borders of my country I dont care about it honestly.
Somewhere I read that faith pushed to catacombs doesnt die but savages(didnt it happen already in USA?Who knows). Thats why secularists loose at the end at last.
Why aren't you Muslim?

Güven
06-24-2008, 11:05 PM
:thumbs_up

Amadeus85
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Why aren't you Muslim?
I beg you pardon? :)
My professor used to say that he likes being a pigmy. I guess that I also likes this.
P.S When I was talkinbg about you gaining back everything I meant Turkey.

جوري
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I beg you pardon? :)
My professor used to say that he likes being a pigmy. I guess that I also likes this.
P.S When I was talkinbg about you gaining back everything I meant Turkey.
well that is not the only 'everything' that we were promised.... but that is besides...
I ask this not because of anything related to this thread really... most of the Polish people I have met i.e out of 7 three became devout Muslims, they were the hard working and studied of the rest, who just liked the 'american dream' too much though never attained it....

I invite you to become Muslim as I do anyone I find virtuous... not because anything having to do with the topic or conquests or or.. you'd not give up Jesus when you become Muslim, you might even appreciate him a little more than a toy doll at borders book store or walmart..

cheers

snakelegs
06-25-2008, 12:05 AM
i don't understand the question??? :muddlehea
i like the ACLU and have been a member.
i would hope that the ACLU would defend women's rights to wear headscarves, if it were here. (better yet that it should never be an issue).
why should the turkish courts try to get rid of the elected government because the gov't wanted to do away with the head scarf ban?
i like secularism of the type we have here, which is really separation of church & state. i don't understand turkey's version, which seems quite militant to me. i wouldn't want secularism forced on me any more than i would want a religion forced on me.
as a side note, toward the end, the ottoman empire was already moving toward secularism (=before ataturk)
btw i don't mean to give the impression that i know a whole bunch about turkey, because i don't.

north_malaysian
06-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Since then Turkey was called an "Ill man of Europe".
Why dont they call Turkey as "Ill man of Asia"?

north_malaysian
06-25-2008, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Liberalists should leave my country and head for Turkey. That'll teach them to love Islamists.
Why many older generation has "Mustafa Kamal" on their names?

Was he so popular in Malaya?

If I'm not mistaken, Young Turk movement influence Young Malay Union (Kesatuan Melayu Muda) alot...

Luckily Tunku Abdul Rahman didnt rule this country as Ataturk...

Whatsthepoint
06-25-2008, 10:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Why dont they call Turkey as "Ill man of Asia"?
Because the Ottoman empire at the time covered three continents, including Europe.

north_malaysian
06-25-2008, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Because the Ottoman empire at the time covered three continents, including Europe.
ok. Got that... thanks!

Pygoscelis
06-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I think this is more "anti-islam" than "secularity"

You find the same in many part of the US. People have been living in fear of islam and muslims since 9/11 (and before that for non-americans). Its actually one of the things that brought me to this board, to see if the anti-islam people had legitimate concerns or were just blowing smoke.

Güven
06-27-2008, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
Btw Youtube Is already closed There :Evil:

Eeman
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
He has weird eyebrows.
isnt he still being used in the trukish lira?

Izyan
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I invite you to become Muslim as I do anyone I find virtuous... not because anything having to do with the topic or conquests or or.. you'd not give up Jesus when you become Muslim, you might even appreciate him a little more than a toy doll at borders book store or walmart..

cheers
Christianity accepts everyone whether they are virtuous or not. All men have fallen short of the glory of God. Are you trying to say we don't appreciate our Lord and Savior?

Izyan
06-27-2008, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I think this is more "anti-islam" than "secularity"

You find the same in many part of the US. People have been living in fear of islam and muslims since 9/11 (and before that for non-americans). Its actually one of the things that brought me to this board, to see if the anti-islam people had legitimate concerns or were just blowing smoke.
I find quite the opposite. I am Iraqi and don't encounter any hardships at all. Actually most people are pretty nice. Ignorant sometimes but overall nice.

Güven
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
He has weird eyebrows.
isnt he still being used in the trukish lira?
Yep You see his head Everywhere in Turkey +o(

Eeman
06-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Yep You see his head Everywhere in Turkey +o(
+o( thats not nice!!!
i'm sure you would not like people saying that about you after you pass away ( like i mean when you do God forbid it being soon... Oh im sure u know what i mean)

yigiter187
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
we cant enter youtube coz it includes videos insulting ataturk...

James1992
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Turkeys ruling AK PARTY is going on trial this shows how much of a democrcy Turkey is.,..

Güven
07-01-2008, 12:06 PM
AK Party Had Just Won The Votings Last Year With BIG Numbers and Now They Are goin to close it Hmmm , Let them Try

James1992
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Good point there but in the elections western news agencys tryed to say that the AK PARTY were Islamic nutters...

Whatsthepoint
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by James1992
Good point there but in the elections western news agencys tryed to say that the AK PARTY were Islamic nutters...
Not at all.

James1992
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I Think There Might Be A Coup In Turkey Sooner Rather Than Later..

anatolian
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
"Love" can't be forced.If then it cannot be love.But you can say how dare you don't respect.We can respect people,things etc which we don't love...This is part of being a human at first and a muslim as well.

Fadly
07-02-2008, 04:52 AM
I heard this "Since the West failed to ultimately destroyed the Ottoman Empire during Gallipoli campaign, and with the the Caliph threatening to incite a major muslim uprising in British India, the West began an attempt to destroy the Ottoman Empire from inside. Attaturk are one of the foremost agent in this endeavour" Don't remember where i read it.

The secularist fear the rise of the second Ottoman Empire. If the Caliphate can be reinstituted, then it is possible that the Muslim world can be united at some level.

north_malaysian
07-02-2008, 05:05 AM
AK PARTY is a religious-friendly and minority-friendly secular party...

James1992
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Iam not saying they arnt iam just saying sky news and bbc news said they were islamic fundamentalists....

Whatsthepoint
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Iam not saying they arnt iam just saying sky news and bbc news said they were islamic fundamentalists....
I'm positive they never said that.
what they may have said is that certain party members had connections with now defunct islamic parties or that the supreme court prosecution is accusing the APK of islamic practices or something like that.

Güven
07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Well They are An Islamic party But I dont see Any Islamic Practises Comin from Them

KAding
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
What Western news agencies are you talking about? Could you provide some links? I've never seen the AK party described as anything worse than "mild Islamists".

Whatsthepoint
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Well They are An Islamic party But I dont see Any Islamic Practises Comin from Them
They deny being islamic.
Well, they tried to change the law about wearing religious and political symbols in public places.

Güven
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I am Not saying That They Are Good , They Are Just Giving That People A chance In The Society and Obviosly People Doesnt Want That

Whatsthepoint
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I am Not saying That They Are Good , They Are Just Giving That People A chance In The Society and Obviosly People Doesnt Want That
huh?

Güven
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
lol ,They Wanted People To freely practis their religion In Public Places and thats The oNly religious Act That They Did (I think )

north_malaysian
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Is it true that AK Party is supported by Christian minorities?

James1992
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I dont think so it might be but i would be very suprised ...

Amadeus85
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Is it true that AK Party is supported by Christian minorities?
Who knows. Many people voted for them because they finished with corruption and they have very good influence on economics.

James1992
07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
They might be banned from politics for 5 years if found guilty..

sevgi
07-05-2008, 08:45 AM
hahaha..this is just the thread for me..

ive got all ur answers tucked away neatly in me...

its a good thing im so not in the mood right now..

but:

i dont love ataturk...not coz i disrespect him..i dont love him coz i dont love anyone ive never met..he is dead...

i dont believe that i am alive today due to the efforts of this man. i am alive coz millions of soldiers and civilians died to protect my people...we all know how modern warfare works..well i do..i study it everyday..the comrades and the colonels sit in the settle stations and yell out orders using technology...its the lil men who were crawling in the trenches..

ok..noone but the turks in here will get that bit.probably.

as for secularism...ataturk...

i dislike this man who i am unwillingly bound to becoz he was not a lover of peace. he hurt civilians. he killed men and women. he denied them the right to practice their religion and culture freely. in a matter of 24hours, he wiped out the ottoman language, dress, religious practice..imaams were killed. women in head scarves were killed. the adhan was translated and screeched thru every minaret of every mosque..five times a day..i dno if u can find an english article..but look up 'iskilipli atif hoca' and all he went thru coz he refused to take his islamic head gear off and replace it with the western hats..lol..they had dress codes for gods sake..

he transformed my country into a living fancy dress party. euro-theme..the more french, the more hat-tips you got. the literate were illiterate all of a sudden..and the best dressed channelled thru the acedemic world..and turkey is what it is today...

cultural genocide no?

i like this man coz he managed to, quite inapropriately, urge my people into the western world...1922..turkey became a secular "b-word". all the above was played out under the banner of secularism.has anyone ever heard or seen secularism being implemented the way turkey did and does? please..its funny...but either way..in hindsight...(and im sure ive said this somewhere else round here), turkey is the only 'muslim' country, with the adhan still intact, which actually has the potential to make a move in all agendas of globalisation...

turks are taught to ignore the bad which happened,and indulge in the mythical image of a great worrior. i respect his efforts..good try mate..but u were and still remain a hazzard to the exitence of justice, equality and the right to free speech and expression of self.

sevgi
07-06-2008, 03:12 PM
why do i keep killing world affairs threads..i think i shud just keep away..

Fishman
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
why do i keep killing world affairs threads..i think i shud just keep away..
:sl:

Thread revived...

I don't think the father of Turks is Ataturk, it was Bumin Khan...
:w:

Grace Seeker
07-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Sevgi, do you live in Turkey presently or elsewhere? I was curious about whether it is true that one cannot get YouTube in Turkey right now? My daughter lives in Turkey and last I knew she had no problem getting access to YouTube, but it's also not been something high on our agenda of things to talk about when to talk either.

sevgi
07-07-2008, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

Thread revived...

I don't think the father of Turks is Ataturk, it was Bumin Khan...
bumin khan..? no no..

i'll kiss the forehead of the person who can deduce who the father of turks is...

but i wud like to think it was salah-al diin..who knows.

format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Sevgi, do you live in Turkey presently or elsewhere? I was curious about whether it is true that one cannot get YouTube in Turkey right now? My daughter lives in Turkey and last I knew she had no problem getting access to YouTube, but it's also not been something high on our agenda of things to talk about when to talk either.

hey..nope i dont live in turkey..

but yes, there is a youtube ban..something abt ataturk i think..im sure there is a ban..i just cant remember why exactly it was:)

sevgi
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
urggh enuf with the messages...yes salah al din..yes the kurd..yes the urggh..

i guess i know too much for my own good.i can make connections in my mind..im sorry...

i take it back...

now i have an alternative idea for my research..thanks..lol.

Güven
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM
You have the same toughts as Me Sevgi :thumbs_up
And The Father of the Turks İs a Diffucult Question Maybe Kanuni Sultan Süleyman(I Süleyman ) or Maybe Salah al-diin indeed

Fishman
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
bumin khan..? no no..
He was the person who established the Gokturk Empire, the first truely Turkish empire. He overthrew the Rouran Khaganate and then built a huge steppe empire the size of Russia, stretching from the Crimea to Manchuria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumin_Khan

anatolian
07-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Acording to a story Turk was the name of a son of Yafeth, the third son of the Prophet Nuh who settled around the north of Khazar sea after the flood.So he was the father of the turks...maybe

But I just want to say that sevgi has a wrong concept about Atatürk. :)

sevgi
07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Acording to a story Turk was the name of a son of Yafeth, the third son of the Prophet Nuh who settled around the north of Khazar sea after the flood.So he was the father of the turks...maybe

But I just want to say that sevgi has a wrong concept about Atatürk. :)
hey..the father of turkey or turks is a whole thread on its own..so lets stay on topic..

and..it is wrong to say that my beliefs and thoughts are wrong...they are mine..and as long as i do not urge them upon others, im fine..

u and i just have diferent views..probably coz u are from turkey...

guven agrees with me..and he is from holland..we have a very unbiased approach to the concept of Ataturk..but i wud never imagine saying that you are 'wrong'...its just ur opinion..

Allaha emanet.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.