/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs and Age of the Earth

john316
06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi!

can anyone help me figure out and give some reference from the quran as to what is it's stand on dinosaurs and the age of the earth. I know there is no explicit mention of it in the quran. but i have a few questions that need to be answered from your whatever perspective you may use.

1. How old is the earth and is it compatible with the results deduced from scientific analysis.
2. what about dinosaurs. Did they exist with Adam or were they died before Adam was created.
3. How old is mankind from the time of Adam?

Thx.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
06-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Depends on how literalist you are. Creation is similar to that of the bible (6 days etc) however, people see this metaphorically, more as 6 periods.

Dates, are not in the Qur'an, for the Prophets, so as some christians use that method to estimate the Earth as 6000-9000 years, this is not applicable to the Qur'an.

So, their isn't any direct contradiction as say - between Qur'an and the big bang evolution of Earth (unless, you do not accept the more metaphoric meaning of the verses).

The 1 contradiction, I did find, was of a Sahih Muslim - regarding that of the creation, to that of the Big bang theory.

As for dinasaurs, the mainstream view is that it does not contradict Islam.

For your 3., no specific time exists. I don't know about Christianity, but do christians believe in their existing around 125,000 Prophet/messengers since Adam, or not?

john316
06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Depends on how literalist you are. Creation is similar to that of the bible (6 days etc) however, people see this metaphorically, more as 6 periods.

Dates, are not in the Qur'an, for the Prophets, so as some christians use that method to estimate the Earth as 6000-9000 years, this is not applicable to the Qur'an.

So, their isn't any direct contradiction as say - between Qur'an and the big bang evolution of Earth (unless, you do not accept the more metaphoric meaning of the verses).

The 1 contradiction, I did find, was of a Sahih Muslim - regarding that of the creation, to that of the Big bang theory.

For your 3., no specific time exists. I don't know about Christianity, but do christians believe in their existing around 125,000 Prophet/messengers since Adam, or not?

so you say that as far as dinosaurs are concerned it does not contradict Islam. So in what way? Did dinosaurs exist with man.

Whatsthepoint
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by john316
so you say that as far as dinosaurs are concerned it does not contradict Islam. So in what way? Did dinosaurs exist with man.
As far as I know, there's no metnion of dinosaurs in the Quran.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noorseeker
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
The quran doesnt mention all the other animals on earth, why should it just single dinosaurs out, just because they were huge in size, you should remember humans were huge in size too.

john316
06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
The quran doesnt mention all the other animals on earth, why should it just single dinosaurs out, just because they were huge in size, you should remember humans were huge in size too.
I am looking for someone who looks at the quran objectively. so from the quranic side what exactly does it have to say about mankind and dinosaurs existing together. did dinosaurs become extinct before the first man. or did they coexist with mankind according to the quran. it is plausible to believe that mankind and dinosaurs coexisted.

جوري
06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
very few animals/insects etc are mentioned by name, most references to any creatures otherwise is by use of the word 'dawab' 'beasts'

Behold! In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the Night and the Day; in the sailing of the ships through the Ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds and the clouds which they trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth, (here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.

He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.

And when the Word is fulfilled against them (the unjust), We shall produce from the earth a Beast to (face) them: he will speak to them, for that mankind did not believe with assurance in our Signs.
The last one in quote is a sign of the end of the world...
so I am not sure why extinct reptiles would abnegate or sustain a topic about the Quran?..
the universe creation of 6 days isn't marked by our own physical standards of sun rising and setting.. to begin with, in the first two days of creation, the sun wasn't in existence so I don't see how we could look at it by six humanly days?

sura 70 verse four alone tells you that when the angels ascend, it is a day by whose measure is fifty thousand years of our time, and it isn't the only verse of its kind... so in that regard the Quran and the bible differ greately

The angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:

And Allah knows best

peace

john316
06-24-2008, 08:29 PM
thx for the info. but i need to know abt what it says about dinosaurs. what according to the quran causes the extinction of these so species or what gives rise to fossils.

جوري
06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
You don't look in a religion book for causes of extinction.. does your bible tell you why they have gone extinct? fossils are simply carcasses preserved then excavated from the soil etc.. I don't its relevance?...

And He createth that which ye know not. (16:8)

cheers

SixTen
06-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Your way of life is christianity, I would be interested to know what your view is on dinasaurs, in context with christianity.

Personally, people know why dinasaurs were created by God as much as why God decided to create angels or anything!

noorseeker
06-25-2008, 05:08 AM
the dodo bird is extinct. why should the quran have to mention that, im just wandering why do you single out dinosaurs, is it because the size of them, or is it that your just interested in them, i agree they are fascinating creatures.

But another person might find another extinct species fascinating , then ask the question what does the holy quran say about them.

north_malaysian
06-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Who says that the dinasours are extinct?

Ever heard of Barney?:D

ajazz
06-25-2008, 07:07 AM
The holy Quran is fascinating book but only for those who reflect.

There are many scientific and mathematical signs in the Quran But you will not find specific molecular formula or algebraic formula because the holy Quran is a book of signs and not a book of science and even some of my Muslim brothers fail to realize this.

It is a book of guidance a book of warning it is a book through which god is speaking

Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are signs for a people that are wise.
Chapter #2, Verse #164)

Umar001
06-25-2008, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen

Just curious by what you mean metaphorically, the statement can be take as literal according to my understanding since the word has more than one meaning, hence a literal meaning can be taken which differs from meaning in other places.

Metaphorically seems to entertain thoughts that Muslims tend to take it like some Christians take Genesis, i.e. not real, just a poetic type of writing.

ajazz
06-25-2008, 08:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Just curious by what you mean metaphorically, the statement can be take as literal according to my understanding since the word has more than one meaning, hence a literal meaning can be taken which differs from meaning in other places.

Metaphorically seems to entertain thoughts that Muslims tend to take it like some Christians take Genesis, i.e. not real, just a poetic type of writing.
yes the statement should be taken literally since the Arabic the word Youm can mean a day as we know it, or it can mean any stage or period of time.

"Surely your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six periods, and He is firm in power, regulating the affair, there is no intercessor except after His permission; this is Allah, your Lord, therefore serve Him; will you not then mind?"
(chapter 10 verse 3 translation by M H shakir)

in this translation M H shakir translate the word youm as period

Mohammed Habib Shakir, (1866–1939, Cairo) was an Egyptian judge, born in Cairo and a graduate from Al Azhar University.

Allah knows best

john316
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
So when did mankind come into existence according to the quran

Umar001
06-25-2008, 04:18 PM
When Adam, peace be upon him, was created, I assume?

john316
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
When Adam, peace be upon him, was created, I assume?
yes but the question is when?

aamirsaab
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
The exact date isn't known (I don't think it is even mentioned in the Quran for that matter) but from what I remember from Islamic classes, there weren't any dinosaurs on the planet at the time, so it must have been post-jurassic era.

Umar001
06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
When Adam was brought to life, if you mean the time and date I don't know.

john316
06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
The exact date isn't known (I don't think it is even mentioned in the Quran for that matter) but from what I remember from Islamic classes, there weren't any dinosaurs on the planet at the time, so it must have been post-jurassic era.
so it simply implies that dinosaurs were extinct before the mankind. It's just an implication though the quran never mentions it explicitly. well I do know that the age of the earth according to the quran is around 300000 years(sura 70:4). correct me if i'm wrong. when man was created you don;t really know for sure.

To someone else who asked me whether this discussion is relevant. Well as far as I am concerned. for me it is relevant. As I mentioned on my forst post. I want to know what you guys exactly believe on how and why you think. so that I can understand you better. it gives me every right to question any how I want to question and what I want to know from you. it is very diificult for me to look at your religous text objectively which is why i am seeking ur help.

So back to this discussion it's about dinosaurs, mankind and age of the earth?

SixTen
06-25-2008, 05:28 PM
so it simply implies that dinosaurs were extinct before the mankind. It's just an implication though the quran never mentions it explicitly. well I do know that the age of the earth according to the quran is around 300000 years(sura 70:4). correct me if i'm wrong. when man was created you don;t really know for sure.

To someone else who asked me whether this discussion is relevant. Well as far as I am concerned. for me it is relevant. As I mentioned on my forst post. I want to know what you guys exactly believe on how and why you think. so that I can understand you better. it gives me every right to question any how I want to question and what I want to know from you. it is very diificult for me to look at your religous text objectively which is why i am seeking ur help.

Humankind came after dinasaurs became extinct.

You mistranslated verse 70:4 to get that conclusion - How has angels taking 50,000 years to get to him (as a day) equate to creation of universe being 50,000 x 6 days?

Some tafsir on that verse:

((Whereby) the angels and the Spirit) i.e. Gabriel (ascend unto Him) unto Allah (in a Day whereof the span) the span of ascending it for other than the angels (is fifty thousand years) it is also said that this means: it is from Allah that the punishment of the disbelievers comes in a day whose span is 50,000 years; and it is also said that this means: if anyone, other than Allah, were given the reckoning of people, such reckoning would not finish in 50,000 years. - Ibn Abbas

جوري
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM

How embarrassing for you, not only do you not do any minor research before you write, but you seem to have ignored the post where I have quoted you that exact same verse.. Are you just looking to waste time? I so despise repeating myself or entertaining folly!
تَعْرُجُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ إِلَيْهِ فِي يَوْمٍ كَانَ مِقْدَارُهُ خَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ {4}
[Pickthal 70:4] (Whereby) the angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day whereof the span is fifty thousand years.

Chuck
06-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Actually it doesn't imply any of those things.
1. age of the earth is not given
2. when dinos became extint is not given.
3. when first human was created is not given.

50,000 years was a response to Quresh jesting about when would God send his wrath.

Subject mattar of this whole surah is as follows:

It admonishes and gives warning to the disbelievers who made fun of the news about Resurrection and the Hereafter, and Hell and Heaven, and challenged the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) to cause Resurrection with which he threatened them to take place if what he said was true and they had become worthy of the punishment in Hell by denying it. The whole Surah is meant to answer this denial.

The Surah opens with words to the effect:"A demander has demanded a torment, the torment which must befall the deniers; and when it takes place, there will be none to prevent it, but it will take place at its own appointed time. Allah has His own way of doing things, but He is not unjust. Therefore, have patience, O Prophet, at what they say. They think it is far off, but We see it as near at hand."

Then it is said:"Resurrection, which they desire to be hastened out of jest and fun, is terrible, and when it comes, it will cause great distress to the culprits. At that time they will even be prepared to give away their wives and children and their nearest kinsfolk in ransom to escape the punishment, but they will not be able to escape it.

Then the people have been warned to the effect; "On that Day the destinies of men will be decided strictly on the basis of their belief and their conduct. Those who turn away from the Truth in the world and amass wealth and withhold it from the needy, will be doomed to Hell; and those who fear the punishment of God here, believe in the Hereafter, keep up the Prayer, discharge the rights of the needy out of their wealth, strictly avoid immoral and wicked deeds, practise honesty in all their dealings, fulfill their pledges and trust and bear true witness, will have a place of honor in Paradise"

In conclusion, the disbelievers of Makkah who rushed in upon the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) from every side as soon as they saw him, in order to make fun of him, have been warned to the effect: "If you do not believe, Allah will replace you by other people who will be better than you", and the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) has been consoled, so as to say: "Do not take to heart their mockery and jesting; leave them to indulge in their idle talk and foolish conduct if they are bent upon experiencing the disgrace and humiliation of the Resurrection; they will themselves see their evil end."'

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/maududi/mau70.html

john316
06-26-2008, 03:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
How embarrassing for you, not only do you not do any minor research before you write, but you seem to have ignored the post where I have quoted you that exact same verse.. Are you just looking to waste time? I so despise repeating myself or entertaining folly!
تَعْرُجُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ إِلَيْهِ فِي يَوْمٍ كَانَ مِقْدَارُهُ خَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ {4}
[Pickthal 70:4] (Whereby) the angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day whereof the span is fifty thousand years.
I knew myself that I was not so sure which is why I asked people to correct me if I was wrong. :)

Whatsthepoint
06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
John, how old do you think the Earth is?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.