/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother?

glo
06-25-2008, 11:40 AM
To start with I must admit that I have never watched Big Brother myself. (I couldn't if I wanted to, because we don't receive TV channels)

From the media and from conversations with friends and colleagues I get the gist of what the show is about.

I gather at the moment there are two Muslims in the Big Brother house.
My question to Muslims here is how do you feel about Muslims taking part in this show?
Are they representing Islam in a manner which you approve of?
Should they be there at all?
Could this be a way to do da'wah and present Islam to non-believers?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
i havent got a clue.

do any of the muslims have beards./hijaab? if no

do they drink alcohol? if yes

do they flirt/chat alone etc with opposite gender? if yes

they do not represent islaam

aamirsaab
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
To start with I must admit that I have never watched Big Brother myself. (I couldn't if I wanted to, because we don't receive TV channels)

From the media and from conversations with friends and colleagues I get the gist of what the show is about.

My question to Muslims here is how do you feel about Muslims taking part in this show?
The only time I watched BB was when jermaine jackson was in it. But that's because he was muslim and I wanted to see what he was upto. Mashallah, he was a role model in that house, both in terms of religious and racial identity.

Usually I don't watch BB. I was only aware of one muslim being in this year's BB, mainly because of his name lol. The main gripe I would have for muslims being on that show is that it's sort of like a muslim entering a pub; you're surrounded by a lot of haram and/or dodgy stuff (like say the wedding task or cross dressing etc). Infact, you can probably do more haram in that house then you can outside!

I do admit that it can be used as a form of dawah, though personally I wouldn't recommend any muslim to go on BB full stop, let alone for dawah purposes. But on the other hand, perhaps dawah on BB could be a good thing (seeing as it's a television program, so has a mass audience). Ah I don't know.... personal prefference would say no but I can see an argument for it at the same time...

I need an emoticon to express my final thoughts on the matter. This will do: :grumbling

glo
06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i havent got a clue.

do any of the muslims have beards./hijaab? if no

do they drink alcohol? if yes

do they flirt/chat alone etc with opposite gender? if yes

they do not represent islaam
From what I have read in the media, I don't think any Muslims in Big brother represent Islam according to your specifications.

It leaves a problem though: as far as the viewers are concerned (based on the statements of the individuals themselves), those participants are representing Islam ...:-[

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
they most certainly do not.

And anyone who knows islamic teachings can clearly see they do not even observe the clear obligationg of wearing the hijaab

Nájlá
06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
i hate watching big brother especially when i knew that there are muslim in there that dont represent Islam

glo
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I was going to ask how Muslims feel when people appear publically like that - but najla has laready answered the question! :)

I must admit that it would annoy be too, when somebody appears publically, declaring him/herself to be a Christian and saying things or acting in ways which I would consider whole un-Christian! :(

For the record, as I understand the muslimah (see picture above) is viewed in the eyes of the media as a pretty devout and strict Muslim, at least in the views she expresses verbally ...

wildkat
06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Argh big brother, such a loser show! Never watch it and its worse when theres a muslim in it, so embarassing! You just think, Oh god what is the world gonna think when they see that??!

Nájlá
06-25-2008, 03:19 PM
u know whats annoying about it.? is that everyone here talks about it 24/7 its proper annoying.

Umar001
06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
they most certainly do not.

And anyone who knows islamic teachings can clearly see they do not even observe the clear obligationg of wearing the hijaab
From the pics you can only see if one is wearing the proper Hijab or not lol.

I don't like them in there but since they are then I hope good will come out of it, but I mean, how could you pray Jumu'ah?

I remember once another Muslim was in there, and he used to pray, and a girl asked if she could watch him pray and they spoke about religion.

glo
06-25-2008, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
u know whats annoying about it.? is that everyone here talks about it 24/7 its proper annoying.
I am sorry ... it was me who started this thread here, najla.
I meant no offence ... :-[

Nájlá
06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I am sorry ... it was me who started this thread here, najla.
I meant no offence ... :-[
no no no sis its not u i mean people that live around me.

crayon
06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Is the second picture, the person wearing pink, a man or woman? From the clothes they look female, but....the hair and the sideburns beg to differ?:X

Umar001
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
He's a guy, aparently they had an arguement about him dressing as a female or something

glo
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Is the second picture, the person wearing pink, a man or woman? From the clothes they look female, but....the hair and the sideburns beg to differ?:X
Erm ... I think it's a man dressed as a woman (from what I gather it was a themed party)
I think it's what the muslimah is telling him off for (you can see from her face that she is cross)

crayon
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
He's a guy, aparently they had an arguement about him dressing as a female or something
:blind:
Did he do it as a joke, or is he just like a muslim cross dresser?...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not the best representative of Islam...

Erm ... I think it's a man dressed as a woman (from what I gather it was a themed party)
I think it's what the muslimah is telling him off for (you can see from her face that she is cross)
Oh ok, that makes sense.

Umar001
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
:blind:
Did he do it as a joke, or is he just like a muslim cross dresser?...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not the best representative of Islam...

Oh ok, that makes sense.
I dont know, I think it was a party or something, and she did not like it.

glo
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
no no no sis its not u i mean people that live around me.
Oh ... just me getting paranoid again then ... :D

Thanks for clarifying that!

SouLda_Gal
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
hahahaha big brother hahahah lolz... wel i only watchd it once wen jamane jackson was in it and shilpa (indian actress).. wel i watchd it koz there was alot of fus that shes in there and also later on racism popd out.. so i cudnt miss it lolz... but i think jamame jackson was soo kwl .. i mean veryone there liked him because he had this peace kinda thing... i think he gave a good example of muslims... even though it is wrong being in big brother koz its lyk living wid ppl you dnt kno.. male n female .. etc... buh overal it was kwl.. especialy the chiken fyt hahahahhaha loooooolz

Nájlá
06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SouLda_Gal
hahahaha big brother hahahah lolz... wel i only watchd it once wen jamane jackson was in it and shilpa (indian actress).. wel i watchd it koz there was alot of fus that shes in there and also later on racism popd out.. so i cudnt miss it lolz... but i think jamame jackson was soo kwl .. i mean veryone there liked him because he had this peace kinda thing... i think he gave a good example of muslims... even though it is wrong being in big brother koz its lyk living wid ppl you dnt kno.. male n female .. etc... buh overal it was kwl.. especialy the chiken fyt hahahahhaha loooooolz
lol that is when i watched it too. i felt really sorry about shilpa because of what they other girls done to her and yeh jamame jackson did show a good example of muskims.

SouLda_Gal
06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
^^ yeh i also fetl sorry 4 shilpa n all... but i dint feel sorry 4 da three oda girls once they got out and ppl had no respect 4 them... they were all in bad state.. i think they deservd it.. especaily afta da chiken fyt looooooolz hahahhahahhaha da chiken fyt loooooolz

Nájlá
06-25-2008, 04:17 PM
lol yeh they deseverd it. thats what they get for being horrible

Maymunah
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM

I think they r far from representing islam.Atleast the girl admitted she wasnt "practising muslim", n then we have mohammed(:raging:) who drinks,eats pork etc, maybe he should win n change his name or something:rollseyes lol

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
06-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Edit please delete.

SixTen
06-25-2008, 07:13 PM
No, as that show is as unislamic as it gets. You can't be a good muslim and have a valid reason to audition and take part in that show. The whole thing is very haram in the Islamic perspective. It involves alot of freemixing between sexes, alot of indecent exposure, alot of alcohol and several other things which should throw muslims off watching it - let alone deciding to take part in it.

------
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
:salamext:

We can't judge anyone, regardless of what we see...

glo
06-25-2008, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

Good point, Serene.
Another member has expressed concern to me about this thread turning into back-biting.

That was not my intention! But with reflection I can see that my originally asked questions probably weren't very helpful or beneficial ... :-[

Can posters please refrain from back-biting, and can mods take appropriate action with regards to it?

AvarAllahNoor
06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I watched the opening night and that woman who claims to be muslim, well she had everything on show and my first thought was ''if she's muslim them im an orang-utan!''

MO as he called drink beer, but his family don't know, well they do now he admitted to it live duh! He eats pork. So, anyone with knowledge would know these are not muslims just starved of fame.

SixTen
06-25-2008, 10:02 PM

This is not true. We can judge people with sufficient evidence, otherwise how can you judge Bush, Israel etc? You judge people by looking at their actions and by analayzing motives. Can you tell me, what Islamic motive/intention you can have for going to Big Brother?

Eeman
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Dear sister forgive me for asking this but just out of curiousity how is it that you do not recieve TV channels?

I do not watch big brother myself but have seen a few mins here and there by chance if it has been on.

i have heard that there were 2 muslim households both of coloured backgrounds one female and one male. i believe that the female who's name i think was Alex was evicted and i also remember watching the part where she goes off on a TANTRUM over chips and if she can call herself a muslim with her bullying manners and behaviour and mean character then i'd hate to be called a muslim.

but the guy that is still in the house i think that he is quite nuetral with everybody and everyone says that he is a peacemaker and so calm.

BUT i have to say MY ALL TIME FAV big bro participant was JERMAINE JACKSON!!!!
gosh that guy he was sooooooooooooooo coool so preserved and patient and steadfast and calm and caring and helpful!

Eeman
06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
AvarAllahNoor

are you muslim or sikh?
sorry the reason why im asking cos i got a bit confused with your quotes about Allah being the lord the Guru nanak.

------
06-26-2008, 08:49 AM

^ He is Sikh.

------
06-26-2008, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
This is not true. We can judge people with sufficient evidence, otherwise how can you judge Bush, Israel etc? You judge people by looking at their actions and by analayzing motives. Can you tell me, what Islamic motive/intention you can have for going to Big Brother?

How do you know?! The other person you are judging may have a higher status in the sight of Allaah than you! We shouldn't make judgements, leave that to Al-Hakam, The Judge, He is the Ruler and His judgment is His Word.

Cabdullahi
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
YO! i dont watch tv much but when others at my house are watching BB and i see that 'MO' guy i just feel like punching the TV screen as hard as i can

SixTen
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM

How do you know?! The other person you are judging may have a higher status in the sight of Allaah than you! We shouldn't make judgements, leave that to Al-Hakam, The Judge, He is the Ruler and His judgment is His Word.
We are not stating who will go to heaven or hell, but you must forbid the evil, you must state what is wrong and what Muslims should avoid. At the end, they are misrepresenting Islam on big brother - their is no excuse and you cannot defend them with this "You can't judge" excuse. People must know its unislamic to go to big brother, we don't say "Well brother, I cannot judge your intention to go to big brother so it is up to you".

------
06-26-2008, 09:58 AM

I'm not even going to try and get through to you. Allow this.

SixTen
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm not even going to try and get through to you. Allow this.
Sister, it is better to be patient and not stubborn. Im not here at war with you, but your approach on this important issue is somewhat flawed.

Ayoub
06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, these Muslim actors aren't exactly going up to the camera and saying "hey look at me! I'm Muslim and look what I'm doing! Muslims suck!" No, that's not what they're doing at all. The way they sin is their business and God will punish them. I think they do less harm to the public image of Islam than suicide bombers and extremists do (ie. the ones who kill their daughters because their hijab fell off).

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM

this is a gangsta - i wanna enjoy life - mentality.

When wahy was coming to our messenger sallallahi alaihi wasallaam, no one was judged because everyone was waiting for the guidance of Allah and his messenger.

After the wahy umar radhiallahu anhu said he will judge from whatever appears ordinary outwardly and deal accordingly due to the end of wahy.
So if he sees a crime he will punish it, and if he sees a munafiq he will deal with him.

so your approach here is very very flawed...

Assalamu Alaikum

Cabdullahi
06-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Sister, it is better to be patient and not stubborn. Im not here at war with you, but your approach on this important issue is somewhat flawed.
The sister is right,we are in no position to judge,just focus on you're struggle the better thing than to judge is to educate and give dawah thats more beneficient

------
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM

^ That's what I meant, Jazaak Allaah Khayr for explaining bro.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
^ by judge if you mean to say "this person is going to heaven, and this person is going to helL" then NO we do not judge!

by judge, if you mean to say "this person is sinning, this person is a faasiq, this person is rude and ignorant", then you are calling it how it is! and in this case it is not judging.

For example if i see a woman or man beardless/hijaabless and free-mixing, i will say they are desensitised shameless by the west.

And this is evident outwardly, it does not mean they will not change on day !

this is NOT ultimately judging!

Assalamu Alaikum

------
06-26-2008, 10:26 AM

^ I would still prefer to stay quiet, and concentrate on myself, and how I can stop myself from sinning, rather than point fingers at others...

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 10:30 AM
^ pointing fingers and making someone aware of their sins and warning others of it are completely different things.

if i saw my brother/sister act in a certain way, you'd best believe they would see me tell them to change straight away, and if they dont then i will warn others of them only because they make it public.

encouraging good and forbidding evil is a HUGE part of islaam.

dont forget that

Umar001
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
What if they have escuses?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
What if they have escuses?
what do you mean akhee?

Umar001
06-26-2008, 10:44 AM
what do you mean akhee?
Shave because they have a medical reason, I mean, if you going to forbid the evil of shaving you're not going to end up leaving the masjid on jumuah

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Shave because they have a medical reason, I mean, if you going to forbid the evil of shaving you're not going to end up leaving the masjid on jumuah
allahu a'lam bro, i have yet to find anyone who needs to shave due to a medical reason lol.

but if i found such a case i would approach the brother and talk to him about it and if he doesnt have an excuse then i would consider him as someone openly and intentionally sinning if he can and doesnt, just as someone who listens to music etc whilst aware of the opinions of all madhaahibs

i didnt get the end part about leaving masjid on jumuah?

Souljette
06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Assalamualikum,

OK on topic post..I dont like big brother, i never watched it, i only know about the shilpa shetty thing she was cryin about..it's all reality t.v..b.s..

anyways ...I believe that we should give benefit of the doubt until we see that they are doing someting wrong as they know it's wrong... For example, What good will come out of Big Brother...??? there are other ways of giving dawah ..how is living with people you don't know a good thing..I could outwardly judge them and say that it is wrong and they should know it is wrong...If they practice they will know the difference between it..

On the other hand, if i see a sister without hijab i can guess that shez not aware of it and inshallah Allah will guide her but I can go talk to her and see what it is ...A brother with a beard...well there can be a lotta problems with that...one minute a brother can have a beard and next minute he doesn't..we don't know him nor his intentions..Yes if you know the brother then you can put him on the spot and ask him why he did it but we are not here to judge the brothers and sisters until we know for sure somethings up

Umar001
06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
allahu a'lam bro, i have yet to find anyone who needs to shave due to a medical reason lol.
One brother had to shave it after he had an accident on his motorbike so they could stitch something back.

but if i found such a case i would approach the brother and talk to him about it and if he doesnt have an excuse then i would consider him as someone openly and intentionally sinning if he can and doesnt, just as someone who listens to music etc whilst aware of the opinions of all madhaahibs

i didnt get the end part about leaving masjid on jumuah?
Lol, once I was waiting for some brothers after jumuah, and I see so many Muslim men shaven, so I was saying it would take a long time to get to all of them and speak to them about the beards, I saw more shaven people I think than people who let their beard grow. :X

As for big Brother it doesn't bother me that much, I mean, do we really think Muslims, the way we are, aren't gonna go for shoes like this?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
^ yeah shaving is from the majority of muslims. And growing from the minority..

as a sahabi said.. may Allah make us from the few

SixTen
06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
IbnAbdulHakim has said it perfectly. You must forbid the evil, you cannot stay silent. It must be made clear to muslims that what they are doing is not correct according to sharia.

We do not excuse them on the grounds that we don't know if Allah will send them to heaven or hell - ofcourse we do not know that but we never claimed to do so.

The OP stated what I think about them regards to Islam - I said it clear cut - what they did does not represent Islam correctly - they have done alot of haram - Are you going to tell me I am incorrect? How can you when it is evidently clear.

I wasn't saying "Well, God will send them to hell" - I was saying, Big Brother is a very unislamic show, those who are participating arn't representing Islam at all (their is PROOF, it is not mere judging) and that is all that was said.

Remeber what the OP stated:

So, for first question - I do not approve of muslims taking part in the show, as I would disapprove of muslims working in a bar.

As for second question, due to the actions stated by them - ofcourse I dissaprove

Third question, as I stated, they shouldn't be their (in an Islamic persepective)

I have done no wrong and do not want to be accused of mallicious judgements.

Eeman
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Ummm... Isnt what we doing slandering and backbiting?
i dunno i was just going through the thread and it seems that we have more negative judgemental things to say about them than nice things. isnt that backbiting i mean we dont really know them if they choose to be on BB isnt that their business, no human soul is perfect we are all sinners one way or another so therefore thats why Allah swt is the most merficul and the most just.

shouldnt we be leaving this to Him and not increasing our sins about saying stuff about people that we dnt know?

SixTen
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
Ummm... Isnt what we doing slandering and backbiting?
i dunno i was just going through the thread and it seems that we have more negative judgemental things to say about them than nice things. isnt that backbiting i mean we dont really know them if they choose to be on BB isnt that their business, no human soul is perfect we are all sinners one way or another so therefore thats why Allah swt is the most merficul and the most just.

shouldnt we be leaving this to Him and not increasing our sins about saying stuff about people that we dnt know?
Is it backbiting to state - that

a) A muslim drinking is bad as its against sharia?
b) That Big Brother is a show which muslims should not participate in?

I do not see them as backbiting, infact, rather, reinstating what the Sharia states on such issues. Sharia is in agreement that a muslim drinking/freemixing is not representative of Islam - and thats what I stated.

------
06-26-2008, 12:02 PM

Each to their own risk.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Each to their own risk.
sis have you noticed sometimes you make statements and comments without actually pondering over what we have said?

i clearly stated we avoid backchatting/backbiting

no we try to give naseehah and warn others.

this is NOT judging.

------
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
I watched the opening night and that woman who claims to be muslim, well she had everything on show and my first thought was ''if she's muslim them im an orang-utan!''

MO as he called drink beer, but his family don't know, well they do now he admitted to it live duh! He eats pork. So, anyone with knowledge would know these are not muslims just starved of fame.

This is not backbiting?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
also a note, if you analyse this whole thread you will NOT find any backbiting-slandering

Alhamdulillaah

IbnAbdulHakim
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM

This is not backbiting?
oops didnt see that post :-[

yeh that is a backbite !

but we havent back bitten Alhamdulillaah

Eeman
06-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Is it backbiting to state - that

a) A muslim drinking is bad as its against sharia?
b) That Big Brother is a show which muslims should not participate in?

I do not see them as backbiting, infact, rather, reinstating what the Sharia states on such issues. Sharia is in agreement that a muslim drinking/freemixing is not representative of Islam - and thats what I stated.
Dear sixten that comment was not meant only for you it was a we which was generalised so please do not take things so personal, i myself said somthing about alex which was not nice so hence why i wrote "we" including myself in it.

plus if someone drinks they are doing nothing but themselves wrong what harm are thy causing us? only Allah swt knows what lies in the breast of men.
He is the only just how do you know that the muslim brother or sister that we see always praying and preaching goes to jannah and the one drinking ends up in jahanum... maybe it could be the case where the muslim brother or sister only pray and look religious to be praised by people and just for show.
well God forbid but all im saying is that we really do not know.
yes drinking alcohol is not allowed in islam but so many muslims do it. thats not a burden on our shoulder its on their own we wont be held account for it they will. and as regards free mixing i dont think there is anything wrong with that what i do think is wrong is not to be free mixing cos then that would suggest that we are not tolerable towards other people. and how else are we supposed to increase the population of islam by only sticking to muslims?majority of reverts have welcomed islam that way.

and talking from my own experience it so unfortunate to say that sometimes kafir people can be better friends and more honest and caring people than our own brothers and sisters.

Lonely Gal
06-26-2008, 12:27 PM
there are many people out there doing wrong, drinkin datin etc.. they are doing themselves more harm than any good. Its best we focus on ourselves and making us lead our lives as halal as possible..

SixTen
06-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Dear sixten that comment was not meant only for you it was a we which was generalised so please do not take things so personal, i myself said somthing about alex which was not nice so hence why i wrote "we" including myself in it.

plus if someone drinks they are doing nothing but themselves wrong what harm are thy causing us? only Allah swt knows what lies in the breast of men.
He is the only just how do you know that the muslim brother or sister that we see always praying and preaching goes to jannah and the one drinking ends up in jahanum... maybe it could be the case where the muslim brother or sister only pray and look religious to be praised by people and just for show.
well God forbid but all im saying is that we really do not know.
yes drinking alcohol is not allowed in islam but so many muslims do it. thats not a burden on our shoulder its on their own we wont be held account for it they will. and as regards free mixing i dont think there is anything wrong with that what i do think is wrong is not to be free mixing cos then that would suggest that we are not tolerable towards other people. and how else are we supposed to increase the population of islam by only sticking to muslims?majority of reverts have welcomed islam that way.

and talking from my own experience it so unfortunate to say that sometimes kafir people can be better friends and more honest and caring people than our own brothers and sisters.
Don't take anything personally from me either. I didn't make a thread stating "Have you seen those big brother contestants claiming to be muslims, arn't they just a disgrace to humanity" or anything like that. Rather, Glo, a Christian, wanted muslim opinions on their actions.

I didn't post because to vent at muslims I do not know - rather I simply stated that the actions they have done (if they done, I havn't watched it, merely trusting what I have heard by fellow board members), it is not representive of Islam, and that muslims should not go to bigbrother. All my comments were addressed to what Glo had asked, it wasn't me randomly lashing out :).

This is addresseed to
plus if someone drinks they are doing nothing but themselves wrong what harm are thy causing us?
Glo didn't ask us if they are harming us, she asked if it is representive of muslims/should Muslims go to big brother. We said no.

Eeman
06-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I know but the reason why i wrote that cos some people left comments like oh but he drinks and she does this and that.
thats why i thought hold on thats backbiting isnt it.

------
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM

^ Yup.

Eeman
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lonely Gal
there are many people out there doing wrong, drinkin datin etc.. they are doing themselves more harm than any good. Its best we focus on ourselves and making us lead our lives as halal as possible..
Dear sister thats very true, i have heard so many shaykhs giving lectures of words of advice and one thing that has always been repeated is start with yourself first its easy to point fingers at other people and much harder to refrain from doing that and acknowledging ur own bad points.

no one is perfect its natural we are humans if we were perfect then we wouldnt be tested nor have free will to deviate from the straight path of Allah swt.

so we our focus should be on ourselves and ourselves only when it comes to pointing out the faults of others.

AvarAllahNoor
06-26-2008, 03:30 PM
AvarAllahNoor

are you muslim or sikh?
sorry the reason why im asking cos i got a bit confused with your quotes about Allah being the lord the Guru nanak.
Sikh, Allah is the name of God, amongst others, but the one God it is. :)

TrueStranger
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
:sl:

I don’t remember the last time I sat in front of the TV to watch any particular show.

I can’t stand the fact that they try to rationalize, glamorize, and justify sex, alcohol, immorality, pride, music, and every other sin by using deceitful items, object, phrases, or slogans that are beatified by material substance to change the moral principles of their audience.

Watching it alone illustrates that one is perfectly comfortable with what is being shown.

:w:

Eeman
06-27-2008, 01:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
:sl:

I don’t remember the last time I sat in front of the TV to watch any particular show.

I can’t stand the fact that they try to rationalize, glamorize, and justify sex, alcohol, immorality, pride, music, and every other sin by using deceitful items, object, phrases, or slogans that are beatified by material substance to change the moral principles of their audience.

Watching it alone illustrates that one is perfectly comfortable with what is being shown.

:w:
You have to watch islam tv
my fav tv channel!

glo
06-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Dear sister forgive me for asking this but just out of curiousity how is it that you do not recieve TV channels?
This is off topic, but to answer your question, it's a choice we made as parents 5 or 6 years ago (in fact in the summer when BB came out in the UK), when our children were still little.
We decided there was too much rubbish on TV and we could do without it, so we gave up our TV licence.

We still use the TV to watch dvds and we watch selected programmes on the computer, so it's not like we don't watch anything at all - but we have better control over what is appropriate and beneficial to watch.

Eeman
06-27-2008, 01:23 AM
This is off topic, but to answer your question, it's a choice we made as parents 5 or 6 years ago (in fact in the summer when BB came out in the UK), when our children were still little.
We decided there was too much rubbish on TV and we could do without it, so we gave up our TV licence.

We still use the TV to watch dvds and we watch selected programmes on the computer, so it's not like we don't watch anything at all - but we have better control over what is appropriate and beneficial to watch.
salam alaikum

oh ok. sorry i know it was off topic but i was just curious.
:)

ma salama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.