/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I cannot wear a hijab yet

Holly3278
06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone. I can't wear a hijab yet because my family would strongly disapprove. I don't know what to do. I feel that the only thing I can do is to move to a Muslim community once I get my disability and there they won't be able to bother me as much.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
06-25-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Holly3278
Hi everyone. I can't wear a hijab yet because my family would strongly disapprove. I don't know what to do. I feel that the only thing I can do is to move to a Muslim community once I get my disability and there they won't be able to bother me as much.
You know, hijab is not all about headscarfs, it's about dressing modestly.

crayon
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
You know, hijab is not all about headscarfs, it's about dressing modestly.
True, that.

Maybe you could just try to dress as modestly as possible, wear long sleeved shirts, very loose pants or even better, long skirts, long shirts, etc. until your circumstances allow you to cover your hair?

Umar001
06-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Dress modestly includes wearing hijab. Try your best insha'Allah. And remember that Almighty God wont burden you over your limit. A lot of the time we are scared/worried about going through it, but the people that do go through it end up better off. For example, I would love to wear Islamic clothing but I worry a lot, a brother I know wears Islamic clothing and obviously his family doesn't like it but they are used to it now, but mine isn't.

So because of his actions and steadfastness he is able to do a better thing than me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
(a little off topic), but what do you consider to be "islamic clothing"?

UmmSqueakster
06-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Holly, have you ever learned salat? Why not this time around focus on learning to pray. Once you get your iman (faith) more firm, then worry about things with your family. If your iman is weak, then it will be easy for you to flip religions again when there is trouble. If your iman is strong, inshaAllah you may stay muslim.

Musaafirah
06-25-2008, 08:31 PM
:sl:
Jus wondering what you meant by disability?

UmmSqueakster
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
:sl:
Jus wondering what you meant by disability?
:w:

Disability check from the government, I'd venture to guess.

Umar001
06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
(a little off topic), but what do you consider to be "islamic clothing"?
Kufi or Turban, long qamees, trousers high, miswak sticking out the mouth. lol

crayon
06-26-2008, 07:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Kufi or Turban, long qamees, trousers high, miswak sticking out the mouth. lol
Ah okay, yeah. I thought you meant like a thobe was islamic clothing, many people think that since the prophet peace be upon him wore one, it's islamic/sunnah.

north_malaysian
06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
True, that.

Maybe you could just try to dress as modestly as possible, wear long sleeved shirts, very loose pants or even better, long skirts, long shirts, etc. until your circumstances allow you to cover your hair?
before you have those circumstances tha would allow you to wear hijab... you can cover your hair with bandana, big hat, ski cap, etc....

MKE Brother
06-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Salam

Holly, I understand where you are coming from. I see you have "tornado alley" down as your location which gives me a pretty good idea of the stigmas and general mindsets you have to deal with. I to have been through this and still see it when I go back to the small community where I came from. It may sound difficult but honestly, the best thing to do is just jump in and do it. Make no excuses, you are who you are and no one's words or reactions can or will change that. I wear my skullcap/kufi with pride anywhere but especially when I am back there and someone says something derogatory since I am strong in my belief, I know that nothing they say can hurt me.

Inshallah may you find that same strength that I found and may you find happiness as well

adeeb
06-27-2008, 02:11 AM
try your best.. and be optimistic someday you'll be able to wear it!!

Holly3278
07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, I have not yet learned salaat but I intend to try to learn it. Thanks so much for your advice!

UmmSqueakster
07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
If I had to go back and change one thing about my conversion, it would be that I would focus 100% on salat first and foremost. I spent too much time online doing apologetics (defending islam from the bashers) and not enough time focusing on my worship of Allah (swt). Had I done that, I think I would be in a much better place than I am now.

The Most Important Advice we can give you

The most important thing for you to learn, as a new Muslim, is not how to wear hijab, and not how to speak Arabic, and not where to buy halal meats. It isn't to learn how to tell others about Islam, or to change your name to an Arabic name, or to get married. No. The most important piece of advice that we at I Profess.com, and I personally, can impart to you is that you learn how to do your required, or fardh, prescribed prayers, or salat (Salat-ul-Fardh). It is the first thing that you should learn, and the thing you should be most eager to accomplish as a Muslim.

You can download cards to read from while praying here, and use this flash presentation as well.

UmmSqueakster
07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Also Holly, if you are serious about this, then I'd advise you to stop going to message boards of other faiths. Going those places will only temp you to apostize, and you know that you do not need that temptation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.