/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Bacteria Strain Is Striking Gay Men

Chuck
06-27-2008, 06:47 PM
A new, highly drug-resistant strain of the “flesh-eating” MRSA bacteria is being spread among gay men in San Francisco and Boston, researchers reported on Monday.

In a study published online by the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the bacteria seemed to be spread most easily through anal intercourse but also through casual skin-to-skin contact and touching contaminated surfaces.

The authors warned that unless microbiology laboratories were able to identify the strain and doctors prescribed the proper antibiotic therapy, the infection could soon spread among other groups and become a wider threat.

The new strain seems to have “spread rapidly” in gay populations in San Francisco and Boston, the researchers wrote, and “has the potential for rapid, nationwide dissemination” among gay men.

The study was based on a review of medical records from outpatient clinics in San Francisco and Boston and nine medical centers in San Francisco.

The Castro district in San Francisco has the highest number of gay residents in the country, according to the University of California, San Francisco. One in 588 residents is infected with the new multidrug-resistant MRSA strain, the study found. That compares with 1 in 3,800 people in San Francisco, according to statistical analyses based on ZIP codes.

A separate part of the study found that gay men in San Francisco were about 13 times more likely to be infected than other people in the city.

The San Francisco researchers suggested that scrubbing with soap and water might be the most effective way to stop skin-to-skin transmission, particularly after sexual activities.

MRSA, for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, was once spread chiefly in hospitals. But in recent years, a number of healthy people have acquired it outside hospitals.

Nearly 19,000 people died in the United States from MRSA infections in 2005, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported.

The infection can cause unusually severe problems, including abscesses and skin ulcers. The bacteria can invade through the skin to produce necrotizing fasciitis, giving them the popular name of flesh-eating bacteria. They can also cause pneumonia, damage the heart and produce widespread infection through the blood.

Among gay men in the study, MRSA was spread by skin contact, causing abscesses and infection in the buttocks and genital area.

The new strain is closely related to earlier ones. Both are known as MRSA USA300.

The strain is much more difficult to treat because it is resistant not just to methicillin, but also many more of the antibiotics used to treat the earlier strains, said Dr. Henry F. Chambers, an author of the new study.

The new strain contains a plasmid called pUSA03.

“This particular clone is resistant to at least three other drugs, clindamycin, tetracycline and mupirocin,” Dr. Chambers said in a telephone interview.

Of the alternatives recommended by the C.D.C. and the Infectious Diseases Society of America, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim), clindamycin and a tetracycline, “this strain is resistant to two of those three,” he added. “In addition, the new strain is resistant to mupirocin, which has been advocated for eradicating the strain from carriers.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/he...cs/Antibiotics

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
06-27-2008, 07:08 PM
:sl:
Islam has stated sodomy is haram
Science has shown sodomy is harmful

If only humans would take heed of these signs.

MunirAhmadKamil
06-27-2008, 07:12 PM
assalamu alykum,

My guess what they wil say is that this is from not wearing protection.

Muezzin
06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
In a study published online by the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the bacteria seemed to be spread most easily through anal intercourse but also through casual skin-to-skin contact and touching contaminated surfaces.
Bolded because people seemed to have overlooked that it's not just gay people who are at risk from this flesh-eating virus.

I can't believe I just typed 'flesh-eating virus' in a non-fictional context.

Note: For 'virus' read 'bacteria'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
^^It's a bacteria> NOT a virus :P..
The two are different species even though they are microorganisms..

Muezzin
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Duly noted.

Chuck
06-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Reminds me hadith once I read about sexual promiscuity and diseases? What was the exact hadith?

suffiyan007
06-29-2008, 07:35 PM
story of prophet luth:

We also sent Luth: He said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people creation ever committed before you? For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women:" ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds". And his people gave no answer but this: they said,"Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure! But we saved him and his family, except his wife, she was of those who lagged behind.And we rained down on them a shower of brimstone: then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime!( Surah Al-A'raf 80-84)...

Allah is angry but he patience who doing homosex and lesbian!

We did indeed offer the Trust to the heavens and the earth an the mountains.But they refused to undertake it,being afraid thereof:but man undertook it; he was indeed unjust and foolish. (With the result) that
God has to punish the hypocrites, men and women,and the unbelievers, men and women: For God is Oft-forgiving, Most merciful....!

The sinfulness of Sodom

When the two angels came to Sodom that evening,Lot(Luth) was sitting at the city gate,as soon as he saw them, he got up and went to meet them,he bowed down before them and said"sir, i am here to serve you. please come to my house. you can wash your feet and stay the night. in the morning you can get up early and go on your way. But they answered,No we will spend the night here in the city square. He kept on urging them, and finally they went to his house. Lot ordered his servants to bake some bread and prepare a fine meal for the guests.when it was ready,they ate it. Before the guests went to bed, the men of sodom surrounded the house. All the men of the city,both young and old. They called out to Lot and asked, Where are the men who came to stay with you tonight? Bring them out to us" The men of sodom wanted to have sex with them. Lot went outside and closed the door behind him. He said to them, "Friends, I beg you, dont do such a wicked thing!
Look,i have two daughters who are still virgins.Let me bring them out to you, you can do whatever you want with them.But dont do anything to these men.They are the guest of my house,i must protect them.But they said,"Get out of our way you foreigner!who are you to tell us what to do? Out of our way , or we will treat you worse than them.They pushed the Lot back and moved up to break down the door. But the two men inside reached out, put Lot back into house,then they struck all the men outside with blindness so they couldn't find the door.(Genesis 19:1-11)

Lot leaves Sodom

The two men said to Lot, "If you have anyone else here-sons,daughters,son-in-law,or any relatives.Get them out of here,because we are going to destroy this place.The Lord has heard the terrible accusations against these people and has sent us to destroy Sodom.Then Lot went to the men that his daughter going to marry and said: hurry up and get out of here,The Lord is going to destroy this place.But they thought he was joking.At dawn the angels tried to make Lot hurry"Quick" they said Take your wife and daughters and get out, so that you will not lose your lives when the city is destroyed.Lot hesitated.The Lord,however,his wife and daughters by the hand and led them out of the city. The one of the angels said" Run for your lives"!Dont look back and dont stop in the valley.Run up to the hills, so that you wont be killed. But Lot answered" No, dont makes us do that,sir. You have done me a great favour and saved my life. But the hill so far away, The disaster will overtake me and i will die before i get there. Do you see that little town? it is near enough. let me get over there,you can see it is just a small place and i will be safe. He said,i agree.i wont destroyed that town, Hurry! Run! I can't do anything until you get there.Because Lot called it small,the town was name Zoar. (Genesis 19:12-22)

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

The sun was rising when Lot reached Zoar. Suddenly the Lord rained burning sulphur. Along with all the people there and anything that grew on the land.But Lot wife look back and was turned into a pillar of salt. Early the next morning Abraham hurried to the place where he had stood in presence of the Lord.He looked down at Sodom and Gomorrah and the whole valley and saw smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a huge furnace.But when God destroyed the cities of the valley where Lot was living,he kept Abraham in mind and allowed Lot to escape to safety.(genesis 19-23-27)

the moral: Dont play with fire, so fear of the lord....the only God ,The one God..how God destroyed the people of Luth A.S. and the city of Sodom.

Zarmina
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Nothing good ever comes out of sinful behavior. Some humans will never learn that lesson.

root
07-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Ah, more homophobic rhetoric..........

AntiKarateKid
07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by root

Ah... more useless comments.

Islam is against sexual anarchy, homosexuality, bestiality. You coming in here saying " ah more homophobic rhetoric" has as much resonance as you saying " ah more anti polytheistic statements". Yes, we are against homosexuality and yes we will stand by the words of Allah proudly.

AvarAllahNoor
07-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Allah knows best.

Keltoi
07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
These sorts of diseases seem to hit the gay community first, then spread to heterosexuals. I'm not sure why that is the case, although I have my personal opinion on the matter.

Tornado
07-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Can you blame them though? Religion is powerful indeed.

chacha_jalebi
07-18-2008, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tornado
Can you blame them though? Religion is powerful indeed.
and religion is truthful my tornadin whirly windin friend :D

im not homophobic, im pro society abic :D so lady boys aka gays, need to realise thins, like obviously religion has forbidden it for a reason,

also as the famous sayin goes

its adam and eve, not adam and steve!!!

Simply_Logical
07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

i agree totally with our aamir! :D

Azy
07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
and religion is truthful my tornadin whirly windin friend :D
So you believe hinduism then?

highlander
07-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Thank god i'm so far from states:okay:

Malaikah
07-19-2008, 03:36 AM

MRSA is not a gay people problem. It's already a major problem in hospitals (i.e. people going into hospital for an unrelated reason and catch an MRSA infection there).

suffiyan007
07-19-2008, 03:47 AM
mostly Gay have AIDS right..why new viral or bacteria occured ?

root
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suffiyan007
mostly Gay have AIDS right..why new viral or bacteria occured ?
I am always staggard to realise the ignorance of some people. No most homosexual people do not have aids.

Malaikah
07-20-2008, 01:01 PM
I am always staggard to realise the ignorance of some people. No most homosexual people do not have aids.
It's hard to tell, but I think what he meant to say was that most people who have AIDS are gay (which is true in many places, for example, Australia).

root
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
It's hard to tell, but I think what he meant to say was that most people who have AIDS are gay (which is true in many places, for example, Australia).
Do you have a source for that diabolicle homphobic loaded rubbish you stated above?

To state that the majority of Australians living in Australia with AIDS are gay is absolute rubbish of the highest order. And shame on you for proposing it

Tornado
07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Do you have a source for that diabolicle homphobic loaded rubbish you stated above?

To state that the majority of Australians living in Australia with AIDS are gay is absolute rubbish of the highest order. And shame on you for proposing it
Even if they did (which I doubt), it wouldn't prove anything. It doesn't matter if you are a philanthropist, murderer, hetero, homo, etc. All kinds of people get diseases, it doesn't mean anything.

Keltoi
07-21-2008, 07:34 PM
AIDS is a threat to all of us, whether we are sexually active or not. Pretending that homosexuals are more likely to get AIDS than a heterosexual shows a severe lack of knowledge on what AIDS is and how that virus operates.

Whatsthepoint
07-21-2008, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tornado
Even if they did (which I doubt), it wouldn't prove anything. It doesn't matter if you are a philanthropist, murderer, hetero, homo, etc. All kinds of people get diseases, it doesn't mean anything.
It sure does. It means they didn't protect themselves.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
sounds a bit like that staph infection can be caught by athletes such as wrestlers, martial arts byt rubbing against unclean matts, Ive seen pics of this happening to athletes shoulder and his bone can be seen because the hole made was soo big.

Malaikah
07-22-2008, 04:48 AM

Wow. Arrogant much? No need for such an exaggerated response! Don't take it up with me, take it up with the stats if you have a problem with it.

Transmission in Australia continues to occur primarily through sexual contact between men. Around 61% of people newly diagnosed with HIV infection in the period 2002-2006 were men with a history of homosexual contact; 19% were probably exposed through heterosexual contact; 6% were injecting drug users; and a further 7% were men with a history of both injecting drug use and homosexual contact. In 7% of cases the route of HIV transmission was categorised as other or undetermined.

http://www.avert.org/ausstatg.htm

The proportion of cases in women is low (3%) and 93% of cases are in homosexual/bisexual men, figures which have remained virtually unchanged over the past four years. Only 1.2% of cases has occurred among heterosexual intravenous drug users (IVDU). Of 3839 HIV antibody-positive diagnoses, 82% are in homosexual/bisexual men, 4.7% are heterosexual IVDU and 2.7% reported heterosexual contact as the only risk category. CONCLUSION: The AIDS epidemic was first recognised in Australia in homosexual/bisexual men at about the same time as in the US and Europe. However, it has remained largely confined to this group, in contrast to most other developed countries.

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102182327.html

Chuck
07-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I found the hadith:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Never does sexual perversion become widespread and publicly known in certain people without them being overtaken by plague and disease that never happened to their ancestors who came before them.”(Reported by Ibn Majah.) He (peace be upon him) also said: “Whenever adultery becomes a widespread phenomena among certain people, death will spread among them.”(Reported by Malik.)

AntiKarateKid
07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Wow. Arrogant much? No need for such an exaggerated response! Don't take it up with me, take it up with the stats if you have a problem with it.

Transmission in Australia continues to occur primarily through sexual contact between men. Around 61% of people newly diagnosed with HIV infection in the period 2002-2006 were men with a history of homosexual contact; 19% were probably exposed through heterosexual contact; 6% were injecting drug users; and a further 7% were men with a history of both injecting drug use and homosexual contact. In 7% of cases the route of HIV transmission was categorised as other or undetermined.

http://www.avert.org/ausstatg.htm

The proportion of cases in women is low (3%) and 93% of cases are in homosexual/bisexual men, figures which have remained virtually unchanged over the past four years. Only 1.2% of cases has occurred among heterosexual intravenous drug users (IVDU). Of 3839 HIV antibody-positive diagnoses, 82% are in homosexual/bisexual men, 4.7% are heterosexual IVDU and 2.7% reported heterosexual contact as the only risk category. CONCLUSION: The AIDS epidemic was first recognised in Australia in homosexual/bisexual men at about the same time as in the US and Europe. However, it has remained largely confined to this group, in contrast to most other developed countries.

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102182327.html

OMG how dare you post these "DIABOLIC" FACTS!!!! :rollseyes

arabianprincess
07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
yep as my bros said . god said its haram for reason... but ppl wish not to listen. very sad. may allah help us all ameen

SixTen
07-24-2008, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

Agreed.

Aurora
07-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Why did Allah create some humans with homosexual desires if it is harmful to the individual's health and sinful? Is it meant to be a test?

Malaikah
07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Assuming that a person is created with homosexual tendencies, and that homosexuality is not a choice, then yes, it is a test. Just like any disease - mental or physical - is a test for a person.

SixTen
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aurora
Why did Allah create some humans with homosexual desires if it is harmful to the individual's health and sinful? Is it meant to be a test?
Yes, as a test. People are given all sorts of things as a test, homosexuality is one. People get diseases, blindness and so much as a test too - you may argue that to be blind isn't sinful, no, but it is a test to see if their imaan is affected by it. Also, other traits could be given as a test, such as bad temper/angriness etc.

suffiyan007
07-25-2008, 06:36 PM
story of prophet luth:

We also sent Luth: He said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people creation ever committed before you? For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women:" ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds". And his people gave no answer but this: they said,"Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure! But we saved him and his family, except his wife, she was of those who lagged behind.And we rained down on them a shower of brimstone: then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime!( Surah Al-A'raf 80-84)...

Allah is angry but he patience who doing homosex and lesbian!

We did indeed offer the Trust to the heavens and the earth an the mountains.But they refused to undertake it,being afraid thereof:but man undertook it; he was indeed unjust and foolish. (With the result) that
God has to punish the hypocrites, men and women,and the unbelievers, men and women: For God is Oft-forgiving, Most merciful....!

The sinfulness of Sodom

When the two angels came to Sodom that evening,Lot(Luth) was sitting at the city gate,as soon as he saw them, he got up and went to meet them,he bowed down before them and said"sir, i am here to serve you. please come to my house. you can wash your feet and stay the night. in the morning you can get up early and go on your way. But they answered,No we will spend the night here in the city square. He kept on urging them, and finally they went to his house. Lot ordered his servants to bake some bread and prepare a fine meal for the guests.when it was ready,they ate it. Before the guests went to bed, the men of sodom surrounded the house. All the men of the city,both young and old. They called out to Lot and asked, Where are the men who came to stay with you tonight? Bring them out to us" The men of sodom wanted to have sex with them. Lot went outside and closed the door behind him. He said to them, "Friends, I beg you, dont do such a wicked thing!
Look,i have two daughters who are still virgins.Let me bring them out to you, you can do whatever you want with them.But dont do anything to these men.They are the guest of my house,i must protect them.But they said,"Get out of our way you foreigner!who are you to tell us what to do? Out of our way , or we will treat you worse than them.They pushed the Lot back and moved up to break down the door. But the two men inside reached out, put Lot back into house,then they struck all the men outside with blindness so they couldn't find the door.(Genesis 19:1-11)

Lot leaves Sodom

The two men said to Lot, "If you have anyone else here-sons,daughters,son-in-law,or any relatives.Get them out of here,because we are going to destroy this place.The Lord has heard the terrible accusations against these people and has sent us to destroy Sodom.Then Lot went to the men that his daughter going to marry and said: hurry up and get out of here,The Lord is going to destroy this place.But they thought he was joking.At dawn the angels tried to make Lot hurry"Quick" they said Take your wife and daughters and get out, so that you will not lose your lives when the city is destroyed.Lot hesitated.The Lord,however,his wife and daughters by the hand and led them out of the city. The one of the angels said" Run for your lives"!Dont look back and dont stop in the valley.Run up to the hills, so that you wont be killed. But Lot answered" No, dont makes us do that,sir. You have done me a great favour and saved my life. But the hill so far away, The disaster will overtake me and i will die before i get there. Do you see that little town? it is near enough. let me get over there,you can see it is just a small place and i will be safe. He said,i agree.i wont destroyed that town, Hurry! Run! I can't do anything until you get there.Because Lot called it small,the town was name Zoar. (Genesis 19:12-22)

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

The sun was rising when Lot reached Zoar. Suddenly the Lord rained burning sulphur. Along with all the people there and anything that grew on the land.But Lot wife look back and was turned into a pillar of salt. Early the next morning Abraham hurried to the place where he had stood in presence of the Lord.He looked down at Sodom and Gomorrah and the whole valley and saw smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a huge furnace.But when God destroyed the cities of the valley where Lot was living,he kept Abraham in mind and allowed Lot to escape to safety.(genesis 19-23-27)

the moral: Dont play with fire, so fear of the lord....the only God ,The one God..how God destroyed the people of Luth A.S. and the city of Sodom.

pls read this...

Keltoi
07-25-2008, 10:36 PM
My point being is that AIDS is not a "gay" disease. Straight people are just as much at risk. The virus is indeed more active within the gay community, but as a virus it does not discriminate. I see AIDS as a reason all people should be more mindful of the dangers involved with casual or anonymous sex with anyone.

AntiKarateKid
07-25-2008, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aurora

If I was born with a higher tendency to be angry or lose my temper, it only means that it is my duty to resist it more.

If I am born with a LARGE libido ( sex drive), my job is to resist it until marriage.

If you have a tendency towards ANIMALS or SIBLINGS, it is only a test for you ( you can't be born with this really but none the less it is also a tendency) to GET OVER IT.

So please no 1st grade statements like this. It is a test. What? You don't understand why Allah chose to give THEM that test? It doesnt MATTER if YOU don't understand. It is there. Their duty is to conquer it.

Aurora
07-26-2008, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
If I was born with a higher tendency to be angry or lose my temper, it only means that it is my duty to resist it more.

If I am born with a LARGE libido ( sex drive), my job is to resist it until marriage.

If you have a tendency towards ANIMALS or SIBLINGS, it is only a test for you ( you can't be born with this really but none the less it is also a tendency) to GET OVER IT.

So please no 1st grade statements like this. It is a test. What? You don't understand why Allah chose to give THEM that test? It doesnt MATTER if YOU don't understand. It is there. Their duty is to conquer it.
I can understand why Allah would choose to give humans such a test.

suffiyan007
07-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Anyone Who committed Adultery will have AiDs...CauSe God have give punishment!

Whatsthepoint
07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
My point being is that AIDS is not a "gay" disease. Straight people are just as much at risk. The virus is indeed more active within the gay community, but as a virus it does not discriminate. I see AIDS as a reason all people should be more mindful of the dangers involved with casual or anonymous sex with anyone.
It would seem gay people indulge in "casual or anonymous sex" less often than the rest, or at least are less careful protecting themselves. I wonder whether the reason for this is biological, as in gays have a greater libido by default, or psychological / sociological, or both.

Whatsthepoint
07-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Sure.

Muezzin
07-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Anyone Who committed Adultery will have AiDs...
Not really. AIDS doesn't discriminate who it infects. Besides, if an adulterous man contracts the virus from someone else, and passes it on to his faithful wife, would that be a punishment to the wife?

We shouldn't be so quick to judge, especially considering the virus can be contracted through blood transfusions.

Aurora
07-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Committing adultery doesn't always result in AIDs and many children are born with HIV of no fault of their own.

As a Muslim you are a sort of representative for your religion and when you say such things it makes Islam appear foolish to some non-Muslims who don't know much about the religion so you should try and be a bit careful.

suffiyan007
07-26-2008, 11:14 PM
God punish people who have always zina with prostitution and free sex...not the wife and children....! Children have it aids cause transmitted from the father...who have women outside....beside the wife...so the prostitutes and the husband/boyfriend must have punished...

cause now we run out of topic not talking bout GAy topic!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.