/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Top 20 Public Intellectuals

SixTen
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
In our last issue, we named the world’s top 100 public intellectuals and asked readers to vote for those they deem most deserving of the top honors. Now, 500,000 votes later, we reveal the results of the reader poll. Plus, members of the Top 100 name the intellectuals they believe should have made the list.

Rankings are an inherently dangerous business. Whether offering a hierarchy of countries, cities, or colleges, any such list—at least any such list worth compiling—is likely to generate a fair amount of debate. In the last issue, when we asked readers to vote for their picks of the world’s top public intellectuals, we imagined many people would want to make their opinions known. But no one expected the avalanche of voters who came forward. During nearly four weeks of voting, more than 500,000 people came to ForeignPolicy.com to cast ballots.

Such an outpouring reveals something unique about the power of the men and women we chose to rank. They were included on our initial list of 100 in large part because of the influence of their ideas. But part of being a “public intellectual” is also having a talent for communicating with a wide and diverse public. This skill is certainly an asset for some who find themselves in the list’s top ranks. For example, a number of intellectuals—including Aitzaz Ahsan, Noam Chomsky, Michael Ignatieff, and Amr Khaled—mounted voting drives by promoting the list on their Web sites. Others issued press releases or gave interviews to local newspapers. Press coverage profiling these intellectuals appeared around the world, with stories running in Canada, India, Indonesia, Qatar, Spain, and elsewhere.

No one spread the word as effectively as the man who tops the list. In early May, the Top 100 list was mentioned on the front page of Zaman, a Turkish daily newspaper closely aligned with Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Within hours, votes in his favor began to pour in. His supporters—typically educated, upwardly mobile Muslims—were eager to cast ballots not only for their champion but for other Muslims in the Top 100. Thanks to this groundswell, the top 10 public intellectuals in this year’s reader poll are all Muslim. The ideas for which they are known, particularly concerning Islam, differ significantly. It’s clear that, in this case, identity politics carried the day.
continued: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/c...?story_id=4349
see the list

Top 10 = all muslims.

What does everyone think of this recent survey. (I am yet to comment on the surveys accuracy, just thought it was interesting).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
jamal al-badawi and tariq ramadan are on that list.

hmm... interesting...

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2008, 08:49 PM
the fact that someone like dawkins can make it on that list makes me lost complete respect for it[the list].

they might aswell allow bush on the list

KAding
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
The list is based on an internet poll?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Agnostic
06-30-2008, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the fact that someone like dawkins can make it on that list makes me lost complete respect for it[the list].

they might aswell allow bush on the list
You may not agree with his views but I would hardly put him in the intellectual capacity as G.W.Bush, they don't hand out these kinds of awards for being a C student at Harvard like G.W. Bush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...search=dawkins

Tornado
06-30-2008, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
The list is based on an internet poll?
I think it has some kind of reputation.

Keltoi
06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
This sort of poll is sort of like asking who are the 10 most attractive people on the planet.

Muezzin
06-30-2008, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
This sort of poll is sort of like asking who are the 10 most attractive people on the planet.
Come on. If it were, I would top both lists.

SixTen
06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muezzin
come On. If It Were, I Would Top Both Lists.
:d..

MuslimahBlue
07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Ayaan Hirsi Ali is on it
nuff said.

------
07-05-2008, 02:51 PM
:salamext:

Top 10 = all muslims.
Takbeer.

Pk_#2
07-05-2008, 03:46 PM
LOOL.

Wrong section buddy, wrong section! :thumbs_up

Arsalen
07-06-2008, 05:47 PM
We need to ask ourselves do they support the modernist, "progressive muslim" agenda???, If thy do, Then its understandable why western institutions and intelligentia will laud them up.

Dont be deceived by this rubbish

Uthman
07-06-2008, 06:39 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Top 10 = all muslims.
You think that's good? Take a look at who is the most influential person in history!

:D

:w:

SixTen
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
:sl:

You think that's good? Take a look at who is the most influential person in history!

:D

:w:
Influential and intellectual are different. Influence =/= greatness. I mean, Isaac is above Jesus. You can even see negative influence as still influence, so someone can be on that list being a very hated person. This is why, the "most influential" list isn't, actually, that impressive. I would not be surprised if nonmuslims did find Muhammad to be the most influential, yet alot of them don't see it as a good thing.

chacha_jalebi
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
i was meant to be on their but i humbled myself and said nooo :D

takbeer@ the muslims!! subhanAllahh

alcurad
07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Takbeer @ the mm's? wasn't it for them? :)

O2K
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Fareed Zakaria is on that list. This list has no claim. Fareed Zakaria couldn't outsmart a chair. Everytime he talking my ears bleed.

Banu_Hashim
07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Tariq Ramadan is an academic I respect.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.