/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Baby bonus plan prompts rise in abortion inquiries

Chuck
06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
A proposal by the Cypriot government to pay women a £24,000 "baby bonus" for a third child has resulted in a flood of inquiries about abortions from women considering delaying having a baby, MPs say.
Prospective mothers wanting to cash in on the windfall, aimed at reversing the island's declining birthrate, have deluged politicians, and the local media, following the offer of the premium for a third child.

"It's really bad. Pregnant women are calling in wondering whether they should have abortions now that they've heard about this very generous bonus," the conservative MP, Maria Kyriacou, told the Guardian. "Many are seriously considering termination. [It] is a lot of money, and if it means getting it they think they should wait."

The MP said she feared the problem would reach "epidemic proportions" if the government failed, when it debated the measure this week, to specify exactly when the bonus would apply.

"Europe is getting old and it is understandable that states want to take action but in our case the issue has been handled shamelessly. People are asking what they're asking because they have no idea how the legislation will work."

The divided island's Greek population has the lowest birthrate in the EU, according to polls. Latest figures show that while the majority 700,000-strong Orthodox Christian population has barely increased at all, the number of Muslim Turks in the breakaway north has risen steadily over the past decade.

Faced with the prospect of being outbred, the Greek Cypriots' internationally recognised government announced the measure last week. The labour minister, Antonis Vassiliou, enthused that the cash incentive would not only apply for third babies but "every child after that".

Similar programmes in Australia, Canada and France, had produced "spectacular" results, officials at the ministry said.

But the plan has also caused ructions.

Clearly alarmed by the measure, the finance minister, Michalis Sarris, predicted that the proposal could cost the state as much as £59m a year.

Although the breakaway republic's burgeoning population has been widely blamed for hindering peace talks between the two communities, President Tassos Papadopoulos' hardline stance has also been increasingly criticised by Greek Cypriots.

Opposition MPs said the "baby bonus" was aimed at diverting attention from the government's lack of desire to engage in reunification talks with the Turkish Cypriots.

"I don't think Cyprus' declining birthrate can be solved with the issuing of cheques," the former government spokesman Michalis Papapetrou said. "A lot more has to be done to create a society with prospects where people feel comfortable and safe to live. This is a ridiculous proposal that has already had unexpected side effects."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007...us.helenasmith

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
erm whats going on, are they paying them 24,000 to abort or have a baby, the first part of the report and the ending dont make any sense! i just re-read it again makes no sense its like gibberish!

AvarAllahNoor
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
They want £24.000? and want to abort a baby? is there a time limit? if so, that would explain why they would want to abort, and then try again later. Odd people. Human life eh.

Chuck
07-02-2008, 12:05 AM
ok I'll explain. Govt is paying £24,000 per baby birth (just a plan for now), this what baby bonus is. Baby bonuses are given to increase population when it is declining. That is what is happening in cyprus. On top of that they don't like that Turk muslim population is increasing.

The divided island's Greek population has the lowest birthrate in the EU, according to polls. Latest figures show that while the majority 700,000-strong Orthodox Christian population has barely increased at all, the number of Muslim Turks in the breakaway north has risen steadily over the past decade.
Now when they planned to introduce this baby bonus, all the women who were going for abortion wanted to delay abortion incase the plan is accepted, and then these women will collect £24,000 baby bonus when they give birth.

News makes more sense now?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eeman
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
world politics i never understand that and i dont think i'll ever be able to...

its such a dirty curropt evil world we live in. and all thanks and due to our own race mankind!!!

there's families struggling in china cos they are not allowed to have as many children as they want and get tormented if they do or their kids go missing or get fined and here you have cyprus that are paying out £24'000 to parents that do have children out of worry that the population of muslim turks increasing!!

Ya Allah have mercy upon mankind.

SixTen
07-02-2008, 12:28 AM
What they are doing is - paying 24k to woman NOT TO ABORT their baby (to increase birthrate). They are, ofcourse obviously, seeing the abuse of this system. Any woman could just pretend to be aborting, to get the 24k (for having the baby instead of aborting).

SixTen
07-02-2008, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
world politics i never understand that and i dont think i'll ever be able to...

its such a dirty curropt evil world we live in. and all thanks and due to our own race mankind!!!

there's families struggling in china cos they are not allowed to have as many children as they want and get tormented if they do or their kids go missing or get fined and here you have cyprus that are paying out £24'000 to parents that do have children out of worry that the population of muslim turks increasing!!

Ya Allah have mercy upon mankind.
Read my post, we can be atleast happy the world is not so crazy as to pay people to abort :)

Chuck
07-02-2008, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Any woman could just pretend to be aborting, to get the 24k (for having the baby instead of aborting).
They are paying for birth, woman pretend to abort or not doesn't matter.
This is suppose to do 2 things:
(1) women stop aborting to take the money.
(2) women who don't like to have babies or want to delay having a child may change their mind with this incentive of money.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.