/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Having a pet

Patience7
07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
assalamualaikum
is it permitted to have pets? i have a parrot since last year which i feed and take care of regularly...but i've heard it's not permitted to have animals as captives

can someone plesase clarify me this issue?

zazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Liberalization
07-05-2008, 02:13 AM
:sl:

*Star7*, I did a bit of research & came up with the following. Mind you it doesn't directly answer the question you're asking, as what is given is an answer to the question, “Is it permissible to buy beautiful birds so that one can enjoy their voices and colours?” But, I figured that the only reason one would buy a parrot is for it's colors, song & companionship, & with that assumption, this answer should shed light on the subject matter at hand.

“Selling beautiful birds such as parrots, nightingales etc, so as to enjoy their voices, is permissible, because looking at them and listening to their voices is a permissible aim. There is no Islamic text that forbids us to sell them or keep them, rather there are reports which may be understood as meaning that it is permissible to keep them if one gives them food and water and does whatever else they need ... it is permissible for children to play with birds, and it is permissible to spend money on permissible things that will entertain children, and it is permissible to keep birds in cages and the like, and to clip the wings of birds, because one or the other must have been done in the case of Abu ‘Umayr’s bird” (IslamQA).

Insha'Allah, I hope you find this a suitable & satisfying answer to the question you've set forth. Taking in mind what is said above, it looks as if your ownership of the bird is permissible, & is only prohibited when you fail to give them food, water, &c. & seeing as how you state that you regularly feed & take care of your parrot, it looks like you're good to go.

:w:

adeeb
07-05-2008, 03:08 AM
it's allowed to have pet as long as, u feed them regularly, and it doesnt cost a lot of money for it...

but dont have dog as ure pet... 100% haram.

Snowflake
07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

and it is permissible to keep birds in cages and the like, and to clip the wings of birds, because one or the other must have been done in the case of Abu ‘Umayr’s bird,
The 'underlined' implies uncertainty and if taken as the right to do that then it contradicts every hadith I know about animal welfare in Islam.
Narated By Ibn ‘Umar: The Prophet cursed the one who did Muthla to an animal (i e., cut its limbs or some other part of its body while it is still alive). – [Bukhari Vol. 7, Book 67, #424] http://islam.thetruecall.com/modules...rticle&sid=296

This is because animals have pride of appearence too. For this reason the Prophet (PBU*H) also forbade the cutting off of horses tails etc.
The most famous story about being kind to animals is seen when a cat came and slept on the robe of Prophet Muhammad(saw) while he was reading the Quran to the listeners. When it was time for the Prophet (saw) to get up, instead of disturbing the cat, he cut that piece of the robe and stood up.

After knowing Islam's stance on kindness to animals, how can it be justifiable to think it's ok to clip the wings of a bird and rob it of its rights to live on earth as Allah intended it to.

"There is not an animal on Earth, nor a two-winged flying creature, but they are communities like you..." (Quran 6:38)
I'm in agreement with the following opinion
Some scholars are of the view that it is makrooh to keep birds as pets, and some of them said that it is not allowed, and they said that is because man has no need to listen to their voices or enjoy looking at them; rather this is a kind of extravagance, luxury and soft living, and it is also a kind of foolishness, because it is enjoying listening to the voice of an animal which is longing to be free, and which is sad because it is not able to fly in the sky, as it says in al-Furoo’ wa Tas-heehihi by al-Mardaawi (9/4) and al-Insaaf (4/275). End quote.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
no1_outbider
07-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Wsalam sister!

One is allowed to keep pets as long as the animal is allowed to be kept islmaicly.

He (SAW) had a cat,thus this prooves that it isnt prohibited.

With the keeping of pets comes responsibilities,thus if one is unable to attend to them regularly,one shold refrain from it.

As for the issue of caging them;its solely based on,for if one fails to look
after them,they are limiting the animals from being able to search for some food etc on their own aswel.

A humble msg sis,its Jazakallah,with a Jeem :D

Patience7
07-09-2008, 01:26 AM
:w:
zazakallah khair for ur replies...:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!