/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fireflies

جوري
07-07-2008, 03:18 AM

a break from the usual gravid subjects of this section...
I was driving home just a little while ago when I saw all these fireflies, they were simply magical.. so I came home and looked them up and as it turns they aren't flies at all but beetles.. meh I knew that in fifth grade biology but that was ages ago :-[
anyhow they brought a smile to my face and so if you are interested in a light read.. here is a link

http://www.earthsbirthday.org/zwibbl...y/answer5.html

exactly as I saw them

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-07-2008, 03:50 AM
the complexity of bio luminescense staggers the imagination. Each species of firefly blinks at a different rate and each species recognises the patterns preventing inbreeding.

And that is just one of the simple facts of it.

Pk_#2
07-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Ewwy!!

My mate couldn't sleep 'cause of a fly/bug, how dya kill em? If you can't find em?

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Nawal89
07-07-2008, 04:22 AM
^ What ewy fireflies are beaautifull!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
07-07-2008, 05:37 AM
The beauty of fire-flies. They are such a lovely summer site and a wonder to behold. They are also fun for kids to catch.

Of course there are a few grouches who think they are mosquitos carrying lanterns.

north_malaysian
07-07-2008, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine

Bismillahi Masha Allah!

truemuslim
07-07-2008, 06:00 AM
on july 4, there was tons of fireworks here, which was tiiiight, too bad cops were everywhere annoyin the hell outta everyone!! Coz its illegal to pop fireworks here, :rolleyes: stuupid. and there was sooo many fireflies everywhere, sooo tiight man! They were like extra (legal!) fireworks. beauuutiful!

snakelegs
07-07-2008, 06:08 AM
hey, truemuslim - welcome back!!!!
PA,
i grew up 17 miles from manhattan. we had "ligtning bugs" - they didn't look like the photo but maybe that's cuz it was a photo?
lighting bugs are the only thing i really miss - we don't have them here in calif. somehow, a lightningbugless summer just isn't quite right. :unhappy:

north_malaysian
07-07-2008, 06:23 AM
there is a fireflies sanctuary in Kuala Selangor, Malaysia.

If I'm not mistaken you can see millions of fireflies every single night...
The sanctuary is situated in mangrove swamp area, and you could only see these fireflies by cruising down the river by a boat at night... there might be no crocodiles but please beware of the snakes..:D

I went to Kuala Selangor once, but cant see the fireflies as it was raining.:cry:

P/S: No pics allowed in the fireflies sanctuary

Nawal89
07-07-2008, 06:26 AM
^ I went there a few years ago with my aunt. It was really really beautiful..both sides of the river was just glowing and blinking and blinking and some of the bushes were totally covered with them.. So awesome!

north_malaysian
07-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Trip to Bukit Belimbing Firefly Park Resort, Kuala Selangor

Saturday night was a very interesting night for me, as it was my first time to witness the beautiful and amazing Firefly Park in Kuala Selangor.

We started off the journey at 4pm from PJ. It took us approximately 1 hour to reach Bukit Belimbing. You’d be able to see a lot of palm tree fields along the way. Just follow the Kuala Selangor road sign will do.

Roadsign Showing way to Kuala Selangor

There are 2 firefly parks, one of them is at Bukit Belimbing, and the other one is at Kg Kuantan. And we’ve decided to go for the one in Bukit Belimbing, named as Firefly Park Resort.

Ticket Counter
You'll have to purchase the boat trip tickets from the Ticket Counter. The boat trip (which could fit in 15 persons per boat) took us to the swamp, and there was where the amazing journey started. But too bad that we were not allowed to take photo during the boat trip. sad....

Signboard showing no photos allowed

Along the swamp, we could see thousands of fireflies stopping at the “berembang” trees and blinking at each other. The lights are small yet bright. Sometimes it looked almost like a Christmas tree, and sometimes it was just like the stars blinking in the sky ( and I started singing “Starry Starry night, paint your palette blue and grey ~~~” :P).

In the middle of the boat trip, we tried to ask for the permission to take photo on the fireflies, and the captain said can, but without flash.. I was so excited and took out the camera and took a snap on the natural Christmas trees. But.. my screen returned blank because of the darkness of the night.

So, I am sorry to not able to provide photos of the beautiful and amazing Firefly Park. No choice loo, you all need to go and witness yourselves.
The boat trip lasted not more than half and hour, but it was really value for money.

Some details of the park:

Boat Fare : RM 10 per person

Service Hours : 7.45pm – 10.30pm (everyday including public holidays)

Personal advise : Don’t fill your stomach at Firefly Park Seafood Restaurant. The food is ok but the service is really bad. When we had our seafood dinner there, the so called air-conditionered restaurant’s air –con was spoiled and the staffs never got us a fan or provide us with any other solutions. We were sweating all the while during dinner.

Source: http://jiasong23.blogspot.com/2007/0...efly-park.html

Snowflake
07-07-2008, 10:08 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

I first saw fire-flies as a kid in Pak and we'd catch them then peep into our cupped hands to see them glowing. I thought they were simply majical. I miss seeing them so much lol. They look like tiny stars that have fallen down from the heavens.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

north_malaysian
07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^ I went there a few years ago with my aunt. It was really really beautiful..both sides of the river was just glowing and blinking and blinking and some of the bushes were totally covered with them.. So awesome!
I have to go there... Inshallah!

Keltoi
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
We call them lightening bugs here in Oklahoma....I have no idea why. Right before dusk they come out in droves.

north_malaysian
08-07-2008, 03:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KarenSmithies
Lightning bugs....Have you ever wondered about the small, blinking creatures that light up summer nights? Lightning bugs, also called fireflies, are not simply bugs and are not flies. They are beetles and part of a scientific family that contains the largest order of living things—290,000 species at last count. In fact, there are about 136 different species of fireflies illuminating earth's summer nights.

Fireflies are easy to locate. Go outside at different times during the evening and watch for small twinkling lights in the air. Good places to find fireflies are over meadows or lawns and at the edge of woods or streams. Fireflies are carnivorous. They eat other insects, small moon graphic animals in the soil, and snails. Fireflies overwinter as larvae buried in the soil and emerge in the spring to feed. In summer, they pupate for about 2½ weeks within a small earthen cell before emerging as adults. The adult fireflies signal each other with their lights and mate. The female's eggs are laid a few days after mating, on or slightly under soil. The eggs hatch in 4 weeks. The larvae, once hatched, begin to feed until fall. They burrow underground and overwinter.

Ovarian Cysts
thanks for the info, Karen.:thumbs_up

IbnAbdulHakim
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Over 95 percent of a firefly's energy is given off as light.If you touch one, it isn't hot. But if you touch a light bulb - ouch - it's really hot. An electric light bulb gives off only 10% of its energy as light, and 90% is wasted as heat.
and to think i resisted touching them my whole life. Also why call them fire, fire is just scary to touch :|

great thread sis, btw you live in fairyland? that tree looks amazing mashaAllaah

جوري
08-08-2008, 05:16 AM
lol no... I was in fact away from home to a rural part of the east coast...I never see fireflies in NY....
they are very short lived. just two weeks or so in early July and then it is over...
They were special.. made me smile and reminded me of an anime I watched..
Grave of the fireflies..........

thanks for reading......

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2008, 09:26 AM
^ if i was reminded of that anime i wouldnt smile :| its so depressing

but fireflies are indeed amazing creatures, another splendour of creation

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.