/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Television - Have it or not? Think of your children.

Al-Zaara
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Read this to your kids. Or maybe even to yourself.
Television

The most important thing we've learned,
So far as children are concerned,
Is never, NEVER, NEVER let
Them near your television set --

Or better still, just don't install
The idiotic thing at all.
In almost every house we've been,
We've watched them gaping at the screen.

They loll and slop and lounge about,
And stare until their eyes pop out.
(Last week in someone's place we saw
A dozen eyeballs on the floor.)

They sit and stare and stare and sit
Until they're hypnotised by it,
Until they're absolutely drunk
With all that shocking ghastly junk.
Oh yes, we know it keeps them still,
They don't climb out the window sill,

They never fight or kick or punch,
They leave you free to cook the lunch
And wash the dishes in the sink --
But did you ever stop to think,

To wonder just exactly what
This does to your beloved tot?
IT ROTS THE SENSE IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!

IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!

HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANNOT THINK -- HE ONLY SEES!

'All right!' you'll cry. 'All right!' you'll say,
'But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children? Please explain!'

We'll answer this by asking you,
'What used the darling ones to do?
'How used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?'

Have you forgotten? Don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY ... USED ... TO ... READ! They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ, and then proceed

To READ some more. Great Scott! Gadzooks!
One half their lives was reading books!
The nursery shelves held books galore!
Books cluttered up the nursery floor!

And in the bedroom, by the bed,
More books were waiting to be read!
Such wondrous, fine, fantastic tales
Of dragons, gypsies, queens, and whales

And treasure isles, and distant shores
Where smugglers rowed with muffled oars,
And pirates wearing purple pants,
And sailing ships and elephants,

And cannibals crouching 'round the pot,
Stirring away at something hot.
(It smells so good, what can it be?
Good gracious, it's Penelope.)

The younger ones had Beatrix Potter
With Mr. Tod, the dirty rotter,
And Squirrel Nutkin, Pigling Bland,
And Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and-

Just How The Camel Got His Hump,
And How the Monkey Lost His Rump,
And Mr. Toad, and bless my soul,
There's Mr. Rate and Mr. Mole-

Oh, books, what books they used to know,
Those children living long ago!
So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,

And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books,
Ignoring all the dirty looks,

The screams and yells, the bites and kicks,
And children hitting you with sticks-
Fear not, because we promise you
That, in about a week or two
Of having nothing else to do,

They'll now begin to feel the need
Of having something to read.
And once they start -- oh boy, oh boy!
You watch the slowly growing joy

That fills their hearts. They'll grow so keen
They'll wonder what they'd ever seen
In that ridiculous machine,

That nauseating, foul, unclean,
Repulsive television screen!
And later, each and every kid
Will love you more for what you did.

Roald Dahl
If after reading this, you still aren't getting rid of your TV, it is OK.
TV is not ALL that bad, everything has its pros and cons.

But remember this poem and spend each day less time watching TV, it is not going to hurt you. Pick up the newspaper, read a book or do something else, instead of watching TV all day.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
suffiyan007
07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
telly is a mass media or mass communication,television is the something that can give the people good and bad effect...cause seeing lotsa tv about entertainments and etc are not good,cause people are copying the example what had shown on the tv...! but the good side of tv is, put a lotsa religions,documentary,historical movies...for the educations and etc,and some ads are bad for children,like junk foods,,,really making the people spoilt who buy junk foods..and their health,the junk foods advertisements must no put in the tv...and lotsa TV tricks..to attracted the people to see and buy the products what's on the TV advertisements,tV making people be a potato couch,and making people addicted to tv and their studies drastic down on the percentage of th examination due to watching tv a lot.

chacha_jalebi
07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
the poem is good, but i must point out its written by roald, dahl & chawal:p

so obviously its gona be biased towards tv, he wans people readin his books and not watchin the telly inaaay!!

but i think the less tv the better, tv gets borin after a while, so do books, net, games, lol its all bout havin a balance ooo yeah! :D

my two cents :shade: dont attack me please im bery berry scared :p

Afraa
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
True, manshallah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
so obviously its gona be biased towards tv, he wans people readin his books and not watchin the telly inaaay!!
:thumbs_up

its all bout havin a balance ooo yeah! :D
:thumbs_up

dont attack me please
:raging:

:p

Pen Marks
07-08-2008, 06:39 PM
nice poem :)

fortunetly i'm not much of a tv person half an hour a day is moooooooore den enough lol

crayon
07-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Love the poem, love Road Dahl.

It's all about moderation, in my opinion. Like, some TV can be really good for you. I remember when I was a kid I used to watch the Magic School Bus and Bill Nye the Science Guy; 10 years later in high school bio, chem, and physics classes I'm remembering everything I learned on those TV shows. I honestly learned so much from them. I learned lots of morals from Arthur. And then there are some TV shows that are simply fun, just with time limits. There's a huge difference between watching 7 hours and watching 1 hour of TV a day.

For my kids it will be something like: "for every 2 hours you read you get half an hour of TV/video games/computer time". Kids these days DO NOT READ. IT'S CRAZY. I read 700 paged adult (not that kind!!) books in the 4th grade, and my brother in the 6th grade is still reading picture chapter books!! Come on... Sigh. God I love reading.

Eeman
07-09-2008, 03:39 AM
I love tv...
how else am i gonna watch my disney movies??????
tv is not a bad thing just like everything else in life that is of course not haram.
you just need to be very selective about what you watch.

BlissfullyJaded
07-09-2008, 04:03 AM
:sl:

Niice. Jazakillah khair!

We never had a TV in our house cuz my mom was dead against it alhamdulillah. And now we do have it, and we only watch news and documentaries...

Also, I think add the computer to the same list. Slowly the TV is meaning less to kids, since they have computers, iPods, and Allah knows what else to keep them just as occupied. We're so used to computers, it's gettin to a point where three year olds are using it, which is fine if they're only playin a game for like 15 minutes max. We pretty much don't want lil kids to be doing anything with electronics for too long. That doesn't stimulate them... And you can't encourage something you don't do yourself...so pick up a book or do a hobby which kids will model after.

Al-Zaara
07-09-2008, 04:25 AM
^ We iyyaki!

MashaAllah, thanks for posting everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem and found it beneficial.

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
Giving up watching it... one of the best things I've done, I reckon.
My Islamic teacher said that aswell, mashaAllah.

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
It's all about moderation, in my opinion.
I absolutely agree with this point that has been raised frequently here.

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Niice. Jazakillah khair!

We never had a TV in our house cuz my mom was dead against it alhamdulillah. And now we do have it, and we only watch news and documentaries...

Also, I think add the computer to the same list. Slowly the TV is meaning less to kids, since they have computers, iPods, and Allah knows what else to keep them just as occupied.
I wanted to say something about the Net and computer aswell in my first post, sister Jawharah, but thought "Aww, let's give them a chance to think for themseleves" Nice of me, innit?

lol

On a more serious note, mashaAllah, good post. It's not just TV anymore, it's a lot deverse electronic devices for entertainment, that people find so amusing 'cause they haven't existed for a long time and givies you an fast way to be occupied. Those can be one of the many reasons moderation (in these stuf) can come off as an hard task.

snakelegs
07-09-2008, 04:42 AM
except for one very brief period, i have never had a tv or any desire for one. whenever people tell me what they see on tv i just can't imagine why they watch it. a huge amount of conversation between people focuses on what they watch on tv - so i am pretty quiet around people. :giggling:
i most certainly would not have one if i had children. i think the values it promotes and the stereotypes it fosters are mostly negative. there is a constant stream of convincing people that they are not ok and will only get ok/find love/succeed blah blah blah if they buy the right products.
sadly, you cannot keep your kids away from it entirely because they will watch it at their friends' houses, but you can try to keep it minimum.

north_malaysian
07-09-2008, 05:09 AM
I dont know about tv programs in other country...but if in Malaysia...please keep the kids away from the tv...

My mother brought my neighbour's 4-year-old daughter with us for a dinner in a Thai restaurant months ago. There was a tv there showing "Akademi Fantasia" (Malaysian singing contest reality show) concert...

When a singer, Dafi started singing...this 4 year old was screaming "Oh Dafi! Aku Cinta Padamu" (Oh Dafi! I love you) with her both hand raised (as if she wanted to be hugged) and a blushing face....

"Aku Cinta Padamu" - this is what a lover says to his/her girlfriend/boyfriend...

All of us was so shocked...that how on earth a 4 yr-old could uttered this words.

and then for the first time I watched a local Kid's Channel called "Astro Ceria"....there is a program called TomTomBak which young kids were wearing sexy clothes and dancing just like you can watch on MTV (which is sexually kind of dancing)

so...please keep the tv away from your kids....

suffiyan007
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I dont know about tv programs in other country...but if in Malaysia...please keep the kids away from the tv...

My mother brought my neighbour's 4-year-old daughter with us for a dinner in a Thai restaurant months ago. There was a tv there showing "Akademi Fantasia" (Malaysian singing contest reality show) concert...

When a singer, Dafi started singing...this 4 year old was screaming "Oh Dafi! Aku Cinta Padamu" (Oh Dafi! I love you) with her both hand raised (as if she wanted to be hugged) and a blushing face....

"Aku Cinta Padamu" - this is what a lover says to his/her girlfriend/boyfriend...

All of us was so shocked...that how on earth a 4 yr-old could uttered this words.

and then for the first time I watched a local Kid's Channel called "Astro Ceria"....there is a program called TomTomBak which young kids were wearing sexy clothes and dancing just like you can watch on MTV (which is sexually kind of dancing)

so...please keep the tv away from your kids....

Dont spoilt your mind and your kids due to seeing tv program..but certain program is ok,like morality shows, and etc...oh God,junk food,reality show,and entertainment show are real spoilt kids mind...and please dont watch a lots drama, like people smoking,and etc....that's why all youngster follow.

Fishman
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
TV is technology, and is therefore bad.
:w:

TrueStranger
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
TV

It is either a waste of time or a waste of mind.

You pick.

Nawal89
07-09-2008, 11:01 PM
My dad threw out the TV since I was 7.
Thanks to daddy i love books. I prefer them over watching tv any day. Alhamduillillah since we still dont have tv, even my younger brothers love books. I feel so proud when i see them reading medical books which my ohter cousins wont even bother to look at.

Oh But about the computers is true too..no one in our family can survive without internet. We all get sick and get strange withdrawal symptoms and cant function properly....

Mawaddah
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

Oh Subhanallah I know exactly what you're talking about!

I remember when the first Akademi Fantasia was being aired,My aunt used to watch it unfailingly.One night I slept over and woke up to My then 4 year old cousin sobbing "Khai! Please, dont leave..dont leave! "

I was amazed, I mean I know she always 'liked' the guy but not to the point of dreaming of him!:exhausted

But in my case, put aside all the bad effects of watching tv, I sometimes wonder why people even watch it at all? I mean besides the new and maybe some National Geographic and stuff, TV programs are SO STUPID:blind:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.