/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan can earn up to $500m by promoting Sikh tourism

AvarAllahNoor
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
By Abdul Manan

LAHORE: Pakistan can earn up to $500 million per year by promoting Sikh tourism and allowing tourists to land directly at the Lahore airport, editor of daily ‘Aj Di Awaaz’ and monthly ‘Punjab Times’ Baljit Singh Brar told Daily Times on Tuesday.

Brar is in Pakistan to visit Sikh religious sites. He pointed out the merits and demerits of bilateral relations between Pakistan and India and gave several suggestions.

Lahore Airport: Brar said that Sikh tourists from across the world could boost Pakistan’s economy if they were given permission to land directly at the Lahore airport. He said the Lahore airport was better compared to the Amritsar airport. Brar said that it would be beneficial to Sikh traders, who otherwise had to land at Delhi airport, which is quite a distance from Amritsar. He added that less than 20,000 Sikh pilgrims visited Pakistan each year to participate in four major religious events.

Brar said that if the Lahore airport were opened for Sikhs, about half a million Sikhs would visit Pakistan every year. He said the Pakistan government was considering increasing the number of Sikh events in a year from four to nine. Brar said the decision would enable thousands of Sikhs to visit Pakistan every month.

Visa treaty: Brar said that Sikh tourism should be promoted in Pakistan. He said the Indo-Pak visa treaty, which restricts the issuance of tourist visas for travel between the countries, should be amended. He added that tourist visas should be given to applicants on a war footing basis in order to promote Sikh tourism in Pakistan. Brar added that the Pakistani embassy in India should issue more visas to pilgrims.

Brar said that exchange of delegations between both countries have decreased because Pakistan and India are not sincere in bringing Lahore and Amritsar closer. He said that malicious elements existed in both governments, who did not want to see peaceful relations between Delhi and Islamabad.

Brar rejected the Indian impression that if a citizen would visit Pakistan they would be refused visas for Western countries. Brar stressed that Sikh pilgrims should be allowed to come through the Wagha border. He said that only one joint checkpost should be set up at Wagha in order to facilitate visitors. He added that intelligence agencies from both sides should stop questioning pilgrims. Brar said that journalists should be allowed to move freely across the border. He added that they should not be bothered by intelligence agencies during their visit.

Brar compared the Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (PSGPC) and Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and praised the PSGPC. He said that the SGPC should take suggestions from the PSGPC in conducting its religious affairs. He said the PSGPC should set up a counter at the Pakistan embassy in Delhi to accommodate Sikh pilgrims.

Brar said that Gurdwara Kartarpur at Narowal was not fit and should be rehabilitated. He said that a lot of resources and manpower were needed for the restoration work.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-7-2008_pg13_8

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tilmeez
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
This idea is great! i was not expecting it out of a SARDAR GI (No offence j/K)

We will have to wait until both contries build good working relations and enough trust on each other that there will be no spy in pilgrim's dress.

peace

AvarAllahNoor
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
This idea is great! i was not expecting it out of a SARDAR GI (No offence j/K)

We will have to wait until both contries build good working relations and enough trust on each other that there will be no spy in pilgrim's dress.

peace
Why not? prior to what the media states Sikhs and Muslim relations are strong. Pakistand have given Sikhs the marriage rights, soemthign theydon't have in india. etc etc

chacha_jalebi
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
but you know quite a lot of sikh temples within pakistan, only sikhs are allowed there which is like kool, but i dont know why, is it because of the the beliefs?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Questfortruth
07-09-2008, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
but you know quite a lot of sikh temples within pakistan, only sikhs are allowed there which is like kool, but i dont know why, is it because of the the beliefs?
Just like so many mosques around the world only muslims are allowed.

Questfortruth
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Why not? prior to what the media states Sikhs and Muslim relations are strong. Pakistand have given Sikhs the marriage rights, soemthign theydon't have in india. etc etc
What do you mean marriage rights? Do you mean India does not allow Sikhs to get married?

chacha_jalebi
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Questfortruth
Just like so many mosques around the world only muslims are allowed.
yeah :mmokay:

but like i thought because its in pakistan which is a majority muslim country, the muslims would be let in the gurdwaras?

like most mosques in UK, allow any faith to enter it, and they even provide you with a hairy eared tour guide :muddlehea

AvarAllahNoor
07-09-2008, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Questfortruth
What do you mean marriage rights? Do you mean India does not allow Sikhs to get married?
Sikhs have the 'Anand Karaj' the Sikh way of marriage, done according to the Sikh code of conduct instructed by the Prophets. It's not akcnowledged under the indian constuition.

AvarAllahNoor
07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Like where? Dera Baba Nanak is frequented by Muslims regularly. Which ones are you talking of?

As Dhan Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was respected by Muslims, I can't see that happening.

AvarAllahNoor
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM

but like i thought because its in pakistan which is a majority muslim country, the muslims would be let in the gurdwaras?

like most mosques in UK, allow any faith to enter it, and they even provide you with a hairy eared tour guide :muddlehea
Like I say, i can't see that happening. One thing that's to be said Sikhisim opens Gurdwaras to anyone who want's to visit

chacha_jalebi
07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
kidda pahjii ki haal chaal eh :D

you know the gurdwara near the lahore qilaa? its called i think gurdwara dera sahib, my cousin asked them if people could go in, and they said only if you have british passport or letter from embassy lol, and i werent carryin my passport lol, and my cousin was from paki land so he obviously couldnt go, but maybe it was a security issuee

have you been there? or to nankana sahb?

but yeah back on topic, pakistan govt, does do quite a lot for the pilgrims and many of my sikh friends said the hospitality was wikd lol, so bless the pakis for that :D

Heera Singh
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
its funny that many times Pakistan treats its sikhs better then India.. the land sikhs fought and died for to protect and to help make independant... the same sikhs who fought and died for the hindu majority (now the gov't), who now are trying to eliminate sikhs and silence those who try to speak out against injustice done to them...

Questfortruth
07-10-2008, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Heera Singh
its funny that many times Pakistan treats its sikhs better then India.. the land sikhs fought and died for to protect and to help make independant... the same sikhs who fought and died for the hindu majority (now the gov't), who now are trying to eliminate sikhs and silence those who try to speak out against injustice done to them...
Muslims can relate to the same treatment. Many muslims fought for India agiasn't their brothers (in religion) Pakistan. But the majority Hindu India still treats Muslims like second class citizens. Majority of Indian Muslims live in fear of being attacked and killed anytime. India needs to treat their minorities better. If they want to be the next super power.

Questfortruth
07-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Sikhs have the 'Anand Karaj' the Sikh way of marriage, done according to the Sikh code of conduct instructed by the Prophets. It's not akcnowledged under the indian constuition.
Alhumdillah muslims have managed to bring shariah rulings for themselves in India. Most muslim cases are dealt under Shariah based court systems. Well, atleast as much of shariah that can be implemented in a non muslim country. I think India should allow Sikhs to have their own customs cultural or religious. Hopefully we will see a more tolerant India soon.

Heera Singh
07-10-2008, 02:38 AM
every single minority in india is being oppressed.. christians... muslims.. sikhs.. maoists... u name it.. there's a reason they're all combatting the gov't... there wouldn't even BE a 'hindustan' if it wasn't for the Sikhs...

Questfortruth
07-10-2008, 02:39 AM

I am sure if you asked you would be allowed inside the gurdwaras.

Questfortruth
07-10-2008, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Heera Singh
every single minority in india is being oppressed.. christians... muslims.. sikhs.. maoists... u name it.. there's a reason they're all combatting the gov't... there wouldn't even BE a 'hindustan' if it wasn't for the Sikhs...
Exactly!

waji
07-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Pakistan can Earn billions of $ from different projects
but lack of interest by our politicians on these projects in all these years have made things worst

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
hmmm intresting thread guys.

AvarAllahNoor
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
kidda pahjii ki haal chaal eh :D

you know the gurdwara near the lahore qilaa? its called i think gurdwara dera sahib, my cousin asked them if people could go in, and they said only if you have british passport or letter from embassy lol, and i werent carryin my passport lol, and my cousin was from paki land so he obviously couldnt go, but maybe it was a security issuee

have you been there? or to Nankana Sahb?

but yeah back on topic, pakistan govt, does do quite a lot for the pilgrims and many of my sikh friends said the hospitality was wikd lol, so bless the pakis for that :D
No never been, but want to so badly! :(

It's probs a security issue, with idots roaming about, they probs thought you may try to bomb it or something lol

Heera is right. India is what it is because of Sikhs, it's been invaded by Afghans, Arabs, Greeks, and so on, Hindus can't defend themselves, but it was our mistake ot not follow in the steps of Jinnah anot not accept the Sikh homeland when it was offered, these are the consequences!

India may become a global power, but they will never stop killing and surpressing the minorities.

Yes, Pakistan are doing much more for the Sikhs, all they need to do now is lend us the army and along with Sikhs help us regain the Panjab and rename it Khalistan! lol - Indian army is poo without the Sikhs!

Tilmeez
07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
India may become a global power, but they will never stop killing and surpressing the minorities.

That is what they are doing in Kashmir for last 60 years!

Indian army is poo without the Sikhs!
Agree!! I have so many example that i personally witnessed.
Anyhow, 1 thing is sure now: India will have to think again for her neighbours and minorities otherwise the whole South Asia will have pay for negligence of India only.

AvarAllahNoor
07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
[/B]
That is what they are doing in Kashmir for last 60 years!

[B]
Agree!! I have so many example that i personally witnessed.
Anyhow, 1 thing is sure now: India will have to think again for her neighbours and minorities otherwise the whole South Asia will have pay for negligence of India only.
You recall the former USSR? Well, like that india too shall split, and all those that are not allowed to experience freedom, shall do! God willing :)

chacha_jalebi
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
but thats one thing i dont understand, like i see many people who are pro khalistan and that, but then you have like half the indian army full of sikhs... ?

AvarAllahNoor
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
but thats one thing i dont understand, like i see many people who are pro khalistan and that, but then you have like half the indian army full of sikhs... ?
They've got to particpate, how else will we have an army of our own? they gain experience. until out time to lead india is near ;)

Amadeus85
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Sikhs feel disciminated in India?
Sorry for naive question but im not expert in South Asia.

Amadeus85
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM

AvarAllahNoor
07-11-2008, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
They don't feel it, they are. - It begins from 1984 to present day. Over a Millions Sikhs killed, Amnesty Internatonal have it all documented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Anti-Sikh_riots

AFDAL
07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
You recall the former USSR? Well, like that india too shall split, and all those that are not allowed to experience freedom, shall do! God willing :)
Inshah Allah - India will break - but not in near future - but it will take time . North East / Assam , Tamil Nadu , Kashmir , the North east of Bihar , North East of Bengal , all will become New Countries in near future - today or tomorrow .

waji
07-15-2008, 05:10 AM
:sl:

Indian army is poo without the Sikhs!
Agree with you
i have seen alot of Wahga border ceremony and pictures there you can see the difference and Pakistan Rangers specially keeps the Soldiers with the height more than 6 feet and having big mustache and beard
and on the other hand only Sikhs Soldiers can match them

:w:

snakelegs
07-15-2008, 05:35 AM
No never been, but want to so badly! :(

It's probs a security issue, with idots roaming about, they probs thought you may try to bomb it or something lol

Heera is right. India is what it is because of Sikhs, it's been invaded by Afghans, Arabs, Greeks, and so on, Hindus can't defend themselves, but it was our mistake ot not follow in the steps of Jinnah anot not accept the Sikh homeland when it was offered, these are the consequences!

Yes, Pakistan are doing much more for the Sikhs, all they need to do now is lend us the army and along with Sikhs help us regain the Panjab and rename it Khalistan! lol - Indian army is poo without the Sikhs!
i have a sikh friend who went to pakistan a couple of years ago. i know he went to the nankana sahib and he also went to see baba farid at pak pattan. he said it was wonderful.
hope you get to go soon.

AvarAllahNoor
07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i have a sikh friend who went to pakistan a couple of years ago. i know he went to the Nankana Sahib and he also went to see Baba Farid at pak pattan. he said it was wonderful.
hope you get to go soon.
Yeah, I'd go on a tour. Family want to go too, and they do special tours where a load of people go.

Baba Sheikh Farid Ji would be ace too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.