/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

jmb272
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Hello, my names James, im 18 years old and live in England. I came to this forum hoping for some education in Islam. Im not a Muslim yet but i want to be, im currently looking for a Mosque so i can talk with some muslims about it. I was a Christian but Christianity just really confused me, eventually i became the same old sinner me but then i started watching videos about Islam on YouTube and from what i've heard Islam is the perfect religion. I bought a copy of the Qur'an today and im just reading the introduction now which explains what Islam is all about.

Hope you are all well.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome brother and inshallah you will find guidance from allah

Muhammad
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Greetings James,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm really happy to hear of your interest in Islam and that you have bought a copy of the Qur'an. We have many useful resources on this forum including recommended books to learn about Islam and also a section where people can ask questions on the basics of Islam: http://www.islamicboard.com/discover-islam/

Furthermore, many members are based in the UK, and perhaps someone can help you find a Mosque that is nearest to you.

May Allaah the Exalted guide you to the truth and increase you in beneficial knowledge, Ameen. I hope you will have a beneficial and enjoyable stay here. :)

Peace.

Pk_#2
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Hello J,

Welcome,

Where about in England are you from? If you don't want to answer that, if you live in a Muslim populated area I'm sure if you ask around they will give you a tour of Local Masjids. All the best :thumbs_up.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jmb272
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I live in Doncaster its in the South Yorkshire county.
On the way back from college i saw two muslim women and asked them where i could find a mosque, theres one in a place within walking distance of my house called Hyde Park so i might go check it out tommorow.

Theres not many muslims where i live, i dont think i've ever seen one in the area around my house.

AntiKarateKid
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jmb272
Hello, my names James, im 18 years old and live in England. I came to this forum hoping for some education in Islam. Im not a Muslim yet but i want to be, im currently looking for a Mosque so i can talk with some muslims about it. I was a Christian but Christianity just really confused me, eventually i became the same old sinner me but then i started watching videos about Islam on YouTube and from what i've heard Islam is the perfect religion. I bought a copy of the Qur'an today and im just reading the introduction now which explains what Islam is all about.

Hope you are all well.

Let me give you advice, not as a convert but as a lax Muslim who became religious again. Do NOT go around on anti Christian or Anti Muslim sites. The arguments are over your head and my head and are left to scholars who do not get confused so easily. Also, there are many lies out there. Stick with reputable sources in you Mosque and learn the basics of your faith and affirm the unity of Allah. You win through belief, not nitpicking other religions, that comes later when the flaws are obvious in them when you compare them against Islam. And the true belief is in Islam.

jmb272
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah.. i just feel in my heart that Islam is the true religion.

Allah chooses those who believe in him right? Well over the past few days i've become more and more into Islam, i've watched videos and been so fascinated by them, even the words in the Qur'an just scream "TRUTH" to my heart.

jmb272
07-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I've read in some places that in order to become Muslim you have to recite, sincerely from the heart, the Shahadah, in the presence of two muslims. Can you do it on your own? because i dont know any muslims at the moment and im eager to become one.

Pk_#2
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I've read in some places that in order to become Muslim you have to recite, sincerely from the heart, the Shahadah, in the presence of two muslims. Can you do it on your own? because i dont know any muslims at the moment and im eager to become one.
When you go to the Masjid, you can let them know that you want to say your shahadah, the imam's of the Masjid can be your witnesses,#

They'll probably just ask you a few questions like whether you were forced into it and stuff like that to make sure you genuinely would like to revert, then they will get on with it,

As for Yorkshire, there are a lot of reverts in Yorkshire, not sure about the area you're in.

gladTidings
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Hello James!

Its good to see yet another person coming to the truth. You still have alot to learn as we all do... you will soon see that each practicing person is still learning everyday and always striving to better themselves. I would advise you to take one step at a time.

Theres many brothers and sisters that have reverted to islam if you would like to talk to them and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Welcome to the forum:).

Muhammad
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Greetings James,

Some people have a wrong notion that entering into the Islamic fold requires an announcement from the concerned person in the presence of high ranking scholars or shaikhs or reporting this act to courts of justice or other authorities. It is also thought that the act accepting Islam, should, as a condition, have a certificate issued by the authorities, as evidence to that effect.

It should be clarified that whole matter is very easy and that none of these conditions or obligations are required. For Allah, Almighty, is above all comprehension and knows well the secrets of all hearts.

If anyone has a real desire to be a muslim and has full conviction and strong belief that Islam is the true religion ordained by Allah for all human-being, then, one should pronounce the “shahada”, the testimony of faith, without further delay.

However, it would not be sufficient for anyone to only utter this testimony oraly either in private or in public; but rather, he should believe in it by heart with a firm conviction and unshakeable faith. If one is truly sincere and complies with the teachings of Islam in all his life, he will find himself a new born person.

The testimony is as follows:

"Ash-hadu Al-Laa Ilaaha Illallaah Wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasool-ullah."

The English translation is :

“I bear witness that there is no deity (none truly to be worshipped) but Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah.”

(You may listen to the pronunciation by clicking here

… but don’t worry about perfect pronunciation)

If the link doesn't work, see here:

http://discover.islamway.com/bindex....tion=newmuslim

If you've already made up your mind, you could always say the Shahaadah at home, and it would be nice to type it up here so we can also witness it :). Then you can do it again at the Mosque to let your community know.

Souljette
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
:sl:

Welcome to the forum and Subhanallah or WOW brother May Allah (GoD) guide you to the right path Inshallah (God Willing) ..If you have any questions please feel free to ask

:w:

jmb272
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah and that Mohammed who Allah delivered his Holy Qur'an through is his last prophet.

Al hamdulillah!

jmb272
07-11-2008, 06:59 PM
After posting, i closed my eyes, put my hand on my heart and recited it from where my hand was :)

I was going to record a video and put it on Youtube but i couldn't find the microphone piece to my headset.

Allah be praised and his holy prophet muhammed!

Alhamdulillah

Souljette
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM

So bro you said the shahadah????

:w:

jmb272
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes. I believe Islam to be the one true religion. I believe that Allah is so amazing that he gave us the Qur'an to teach us how to live. I believe that he gave us the Qur'an through the Prophet Muhammed from Mecca.

crayon
07-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Aw mashAllah!
This link might help, the whole site actually, has a lot about the basics of islam: http://www.islam101.com/dawah/IslamBrief.html

We've got lots of muslims brothers and sisters here that live in the UK, lots of reverts as well, so inshAllah you'll feel right at home.

If you have any questions, ask ask ask. :)

Muhammad
07-11-2008, 07:47 PM

I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah and that Mohammed who Allah delivered his Holy Qur'an through is his last prophet.

Al hamdulillah!
This is excellent news!

To ensure it is done properly, it would be best to repeat the Arabic words I posted earlier. Just say them aloud, and if you wish, you can write them here.

The testimony is as follows:

"Ash-hadu Al-Laa Ilaaha Illallaah Wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasool-ullah."

The English translation is :

“I bear witness that there is no deity (none truly to be worshipped) but Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah.”

(You may listen to the pronunciation by clicking here

)

After this brother, welcome to Islam! All praise is due to Allaah the Exalted for guiding you to the truth!

Here are some useful links:

http://www.beconvinced.com/
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/378/
http://www.islamicboard.com/introduc...sisters-2.html

Feel free to ask any questions in our New Muslims section. There are also some useful articles in the Discover Islam section.

What would be next after declaring oneself a Muslim ? one should then know the real concept underlying this testimony which means the oneness of Allah and meet its requiremants. One must behave accordingly, applying this true faith to every thing one speaks or does.

What do the words of the “Shahada” signify? The significant point which every Muslim must know very well is the truth that there is no God (deity) to be worshipped other than Allah. He-glory be to Him – is the only true God, Who alone deserves to be worshipped, since He is the Giver of life and Sustainer and Nourisher of mankind and all creation with His unlimited bounties. Man must worship Allah, Who alone is worthy of worship.

The second part of the Shahada “i.e., Wa Ash-hadu anna Mohammadan abduhu wa rasuluh” means that Prophet Mohammad (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) is the servant and chosen messenger of Allah. No one must have two opinions about this matter. In fact the Muslim has to obey the commands of the Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), to believe him in what he has said, to practise his teachings, to avoid what ha has forbidden, and to worship Allah alone according to the message revealed to him, for all the teachings of the Prophet were in fact revelation and inspirations conveyed to him by Allah.

What is the meaning of worship? It simply means rendering sincere service, showing reverence for Allah. In a deeper shade of meaning, it implies total submission and complete obedience to Allah’s commandments both in utterances and actions of man whether explicit or implicit.

Worship fall into two categories :

Visible (manifest or outward). Invisible (concealed or inward).

Visible worship includes acts such as uttering the two parts of the “Shahada”, performing prayers, giving Zakah (the poor-due), recitation of the Holy Qur’an, supplication, adoring Allah by praising Him, purifying our bodies before prayers, etc.

This type of worship is associated with movement of the parts of the human body.

Invisible worship is to believe in Allah, in the Day of Judgement (in the Hereafter), in the Angels, in the Books of Allah, in the Prophets of Allah, in the Divine Decree of destiny (that good and bad are determined by Allah alone).

This type worship does not involve movement of parts of the body but it surely has bearing on one’s heart which subsequently affects one’s way of life.

It should be borne in mind that any worship not dedicated to Allah alone will be rejected as one form of polytheism and this causes apostasy from the Islamic fold.

The next step for a newly revert to Islam is the purify himself by taking a cmplete bath. He should then resolve to comply with the principles and rules of Islam in their entirety. He should disown all forms of polytheism and false beliefs. He should reject evil and be rigtheous. Such rejection of evil and being righteous is one of the requisites of the motto of Islam – that is, Laa ilaha illallah.

Allah states in the Holy qur’an :

“…whoever rejects evil and believes in the Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy Hand-hold, that never breaks…” (Qur’an 2:256).

We have to consider that when declare from our heart that “ there is no god (deity) worthy to be worshipped but Allah”, it implies on our part love, devotion, faith and obedience to the rules of Islamic legislations which are legally binding on all Muslims. It is a requiremant of “there is no god worthy to be worshipped but Allah” to love for the sake of Allah and to reject for the sake of Allah.

This is the firmest anchor of belief which materialise the meaning of “AL WALA” and “AL BARA”. It means that a Muslim should love and be loyal to his Muslim brothers. He should, as a practise, dissociate himself completely from the unbelievers and refuse to be influenced by them, both in wordly and religious matters.

We conclude with a humble prayer to Allah that may He cleanse the hearts and souls of those who are genuine seekers of truth and may He bless the community of believers.

Aameen.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/11819/

Peace.

UmmSqueakster
07-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

welcome to the forum and to islam! Take things slow. God revealed this religion to the Prophet (saws) and the early muslims over a period of 23 years. They didn't know everything or become perfect muslims overnight, and neither do you :)

I *love* iprofess.com. Excellent excellent resource, especially this piece of advice.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!