/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting female hair

Faye
07-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Does anybody know what the real ruling about cutting women's hair is? I have heard so many different positions ... cutting women's hair is absolutely forbidden and there is la'nat on the woman who cuts it ... you can trim the edges if you have split ends ... you can cut it as much as you want provided that it is below the shoulders length ... there is no real forbidding in Islam about cutting hair and this is just a Hindoo bida't left over in the Indo-Pak subcontinent.

How about cutting an underage girl's hair. What if your hair is so long and thick that it becomes unmanigable in hot humid weather (hair is full of sweat and if you wash it it takes hours to dry, during which time you can't pin it up or braid it because then it wouldn't dry at all and would stink as a result) and you want to cut it for comfort, not vanity.

Can somebody please find me an answer for this along with ahadith or something so I know it is true.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
07-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Thread Approved.

Nájlá
07-13-2008, 09:46 AM
bump

------
07-13-2008, 09:54 AM
1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 481)

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87692

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
07-13-2008, 09:57 AM
:sl:

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

Insha'Allah these links should help, :)

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1172/
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13744
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13248/

:w:

Musaafirah
07-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Jazakallah both of you for giving the links and answers!
I've been wanting to cut my hair, but my mum said it wasn't permissible because the Maulana's on the T.V. had said so. But I myself was a bit hesitant (not coz of the TV reason) because of what I had learned at School..:|

Questfortruth
07-14-2008, 04:27 AM

In some parts of Africa women don't have any hair. I am not sure if its becaus they don't grow any hair or just shave it off. Does anyone know why so many women in those African parts don't have hair?

islamirama
07-14-2008, 04:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Jazakallah both of you for giving the links and answers!
I've been wanting to cut my hair, but my mum said it wasn't permissible because the Maulana's on the T.V. had said so. But I myself was a bit hesitant (not coz of the TV reason) because of what I had learned at School..:|

I would not trust the "maulanas" whether they are on tv or in person, but especially on TV. There's lot of fake ones sitting on tv issue their own fatwas on everything and many naive or ill knowledge muslims blindly follow these tv "maulana's" with their shady rulings and what not.

Faye
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair

Are their any hairstyles specifically associated with kaafir/immoral women? Which ones?

alcurad
07-14-2008, 12:39 PM
there is no hairstyle style associated with 'kaafir' or 'immoral' women, we are prohibited from acting like kaafir & immoral people in their kufr and immoralism not thier hairstyle.

ayan333
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
there is no hairstyle style associated with 'kaafir' or 'immoral' women, we are prohibited from acting like kaafir & immoral people in their kufr and immoralism not thier hairstyle.

i guess when you see a cleb with a cute/cool hair cut and you get yours done the same way,not necessarly because you like i but merly because they have it.....i may be wrong,jusmy input

Faye
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Ruling on cutting the hair over the forehead

What is the ruling on the haircut which some women have where they cut the hair over their foreheads and have strands of hair hanging over it [i.e., bangs or a fringe]?

Praise be to Allaah. If the intention behind this is to imitate kaafir and atheist women, then it is haraam because imitating non-Muslims is haraam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” But if the intention is not to imitate non-Muslims, rather it is one of the new customs among women, then if it is something that is counted as adornment with which she may adorn herself for her husband and appear with in front of her relatives in a way that will make her look better to them, then we do not see anything wrong with it.

Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Iftaa, part 3, p. 88

I found this in the links given by Brother Abdul Baari. (Jazakallaho Khayra) As far as I'm concerned, THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

highlander
07-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I hope you get more luck with your new haircut- in case you decide on it. I know myself it was quite a shock for people who saw me with the new cut.

I used to keep it very long and simple- straight cut but since it started shedding alot I had to trim it- more than half. It is still longer than the shoulder line but especially my husband had alot of things to say about it.
Especially in India and Pakistan is quite an issue about girls- especially the young ones- who want to keep their heads "lighter"( reffering strictly to hair here).

I almost forgot... now I get alot of "women should not cut their hair, I like women with long long hair". It is just hair..it grows back and it is healthier once in a while to trim it.

'Abd al-Baari
07-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Alhamdulillah, as the issue has been resolved, to avoid going off-topic i'm going to close this thread. If anyone has any questions, or would like to post something relevant to the topic, please do not hesitate to PM me, Insha'Allah

:threadclo

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.