/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Snake thread

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 03:47 PM
There have been many animal threads. But, very little hs been said about the most misundestood of animals - snakes.

My purpose for his thead is to instill some basic knowledge about this fantastic creation made by Allaah(swt) and to help remove some falacies.

We do hae a few members that have a background in herpetology, hopefully they will join in.

I will begin just on the basics of US snakes. the US is unusual in that the vast majority of US snakes are non-venemous and snakes have ever been a major danger here. Durig my college years I did work as a heretologist and do have a reasonable background in snake facts. I believe I have handled a member of every snake species found in the USA at east once. Yes, I have ben bitten many times. But, only 3 or 4 times by any venemous ones. The bite from American snakes is seldom fatal and not usually a major medical concern. I only sought medical treatment for one bite.

I will begin this by a few words about the most venemous snake found in the USA The coral snake. It is a member of the elapidae faily the same family cobras and sea snakes are in. The venom is very potent and the bite of one could result in death. However, they are very docile, seldom bite and even when they do bite they rarely discharge any venom. Until the late 1800s they were thought to be harmless. They are very shy, secretive and rarely seen even in areas they are common. They are semi-tropical and can only live in our southernmost states. Most people believe they are very small, but that is wrong as they can grow to be over a yard in length (about one meter)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
07-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I voted one of Allah (SWT)'s beautiful creations, they truly are. Heck, some of them can even swim!

The Sea Krait:

------
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM

evil. EVIL I tell ya!!

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
:sl:

Snakes are beautiful animals! So peaceful, and nice to look at.

Uncle Woodrow, was it a rattlesnake that bit u once?

And yes a coral snake is 'stay away' snake!

They look very innocent, however the colours are a clear sign 'I am dangerous'

This here is a coral snake wannabe, a non-venemous species. Called the milk snake, most people confuse them with coral snakes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
.: Jannati :.
07-13-2008, 04:36 PM
ah Subhan'Allah I'm scared of snakes..*leaves thread*

Nájlá
07-13-2008, 04:38 PM
i hate snakes there ugly and scary

Souljette
07-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Snakes are amazingggg Mashallah when you look at the videos..although i have to hear my mom sayin change the channel continuously...It's just an amazing creation...so manyyy different kinds of snakes ..some harmless ..some not..but they only harm when they have to..If you disturb their territory then ye..It is amazing the qualities they have pheww.

I held a boa constrictor once who was my height but ofcourse me carrying it ..it didn't look like that at the moment but woww harmless and the way it holds on to you..I like their chest part..it's soft

this is the kind i carried but I think this is bigger

Souljette
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Uncle Woodrow bring back any memories

It's ironic how rattlesnakes use their rattle to warn people instead babies are attracted by rattles...So if a baby hears it..I don't know what will happen lolz

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette

Snakes are amazingggg Mashallah when you look at the videos..although i have to hear my mom sayin change the channel continuously...It's just an amazing creation...so manyyy different kinds of snakes ..some harmless ..some not..but they only harm when they have to..If you disturb their territory then ye..It is amazing the qualities they have pheww.

I held a boa constrictor once who was my height but ofcourse me carrying it ..it didn't look like that at the moment but woww harmless and the way it holds on to you..I like their chest part..it's soft

this is the kind i carried but I think this is bigger

Ah nice, Boa constrictors are nice animals. They are easy to tame, their movement is very nice!

Musaafirah
07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Snakes are well scary, but at the same time they're pretty mesmerising.
I remember when I went to the zoo once, they let a harmless snake go on the floor, whilst us kiddies were sitting down on the benches, it was facing one way but for some odd odd reason it turned and came towards me..you can imagine how much I screamed!
Also, when I was in Bangladesh, I was about 10..I went to the kitchen and just looked out the back window (don't ask me why..i just did) and Lo! and Behold!
A Cobra..I couldn't help myself..I just stared (bare in mind the window was open)
The cobra creeped closer and closer..all the while I was staring at it..
When it had come close enough, about 14 feet away (maybe more) I screamed and ran and screamed again!
So, I dunno..
Some snakes look quite pretty though..

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

Snakes are beautiful animals! So peaceful, and nice to look at.

Uncle Woodrow, was it a rattlesnake that bit u once?
I have actually been bitten numerous times. But all except 3 or 4 times were by non-venemous snakes. The venemous snakes were a copperhead and a rattlesnake. The copperhead was a large female I kept for demonstrations, she was normally very docile. But she bit me several times at least once when I was trying milk her and another time when I was doing a demonstration and was showing how docile copperheads are,she decided to prove me wrong. The rattlesnake bite was by a rattle snake in the sistrunk family. More commonly called Pygmy Rattlesnake or Dusky Dwarf. The bite is no worse than a bee sting. I gotbit by that on when I put my hand on him while climbing over a stone wall. I disturbed his nap.

Snakes really are remarkable, they are perfectly designed for the life they live. They have the most effective food gathering methods of any animal in the world. Very few venemous snakes will use venom for defense, it is normally reserved for food gathering.

I can understand the fear most people have of them and would advise anybody who is not knowledgable about snakes to avoid them. But, at the same time I would like to educate people into knowing there is no need to go out of their way to kill or harm them. Very few snakes are aggressive and most will avoid human contact if possible.

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette

Uncle Woodrow bring back any memories

It's ironic how rattlesnakes use their rattle to warn people instead babies are attracted by rattles...So if a baby hears it..I don't know what will happen lolz
The noise from a rattle snake is not a rattle sound. It is more of a buzzing. It reminds me of the sound from a hornets nest.

Contrary to popular belief rattlesnakes do not always rattle a warning. They are heavy sleepers and will fall asleep while sunning themselves and not know you are there unless you touch them, in which case they will bite intantly.

Most common bites occur when a person steps on a sleeping one.

Ali.
07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Woodrow, do you know much about water snakes, like the one I posted earlier? I was wondering how do they breathe underwater, do they have gills?

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Woodrow, do you know much about water snakes, like the one I posted earlier? I was wondering how do they breathe underwater, do they have gills?

They do not breath underwater, they come out to the surface to breath and go back in agian :)

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
All of the sea snakes such as the krait you showed are in the elapidae family and are a variety of cobra. They are air beathers and surface for air. However, they have very large lung capacity and slow metabolism. As a result with one gulp of air they can stay uder water for an hour or longer. They are reptiles and are not related to eels which are fish with gills.

al Amaanah
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
beautiful creation masha Allah but scary

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Snakes are very remarkable. There are hundreds of species, each designed for a specific climate and specific food. They are the ideal means of preventing over population in the animal kngdom and each only eats the very specific food they are designed to eat. some snakes such as cobras actually help keep the population of snakes under control as their primary food is other snakes.

I see the handiwork and carefull planning of Allaah(swt) in every snake. The wisdom in designing the snake is beyond belief.

truemuslim
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Loool did someone say theyr PEACEFUL?!!! Omg whatr u on??? looool

Ok snakes are sick. Useless, AND what i always use.. Ali (ra) Used to avoid them and say Authu billah minashaitan arajeem! :)

You should stick wit real animals. Lions. tigers. Theyr the true peaceful and harmless creatures...and they dont look sickkk :D

truemuslim
07-13-2008, 07:23 PM
HOLY!!

WHAT is that?! lool i would love to have some fun wit that (as long as its caged up behind lasor things. and i have a "immune to getting heart attack from snake" Thing :)

look at its teeth tho! Subhanallah! and then look at the bottum of its mouth. teethless. ew

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 07:36 PM
:sl: sister truemuslim

That snake isnt venemous. It has got razor sharp teeth though! Looks like an anaconda

Mr. Baldy
07-13-2008, 07:47 PM
From my understanding, snakes used to be very beautiful, they used to have legs and feet and a hump like that of a camel and used to be one of the most beautiful creatures. Until a snake helped Iblees to get into janah and trick Eve and Adam, where Allah then cursed it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and Allah hu alim.

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 08:26 PM
:sl: sister truemuslim

That snake isnt venemous. It has got razor sharp teeth though! Looks like an anaconda
It is an anaconda. They have been known to get up to 35 feet long (about 12 meters)

Hard to tell which is the world's largest snake I believe a Reticulated Python holds the current record, but there may be larger anacondas in the Amazon Basin.

Simply_Logical
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
woodrow, i love snakes,
im truly and really fascinated by them,
i would love to get a ball python lol :D

amazing creation from the creator - Ya Khaliq

Simply_Logical
07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
lol i meant im really and truly fascinated by them lol

S_87
07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
kill them upon seeing them, but i wouldnt, id be too busy screaming and running away.

But yes they should be killed. Snakes are dangerous scary creatures and should be killed asap

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Baldy
From my understanding, snakes used to be very beautiful, they used to have legs and feet and a hump like that of a camel and used to be one of the most beautiful creatures. Until a snake helped Iblees to get into janah and trick Eve and Adam, where Allah then cursed it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and Allah hu alim.
I have heard the same from several people that seem to be knowledgable. But, I have yet to fnd the original source.

Ali.
07-13-2008, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Baldy
I'm pretty sure that's the Christians account of it.

Allahu A'lim.

Simply_Logical
07-13-2008, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I have heard the same from several people that seem to be knowledgable. But, I have yet to fnd the original source.
i've not heard that before but would be interested to see a source too! :D

glo
07-13-2008, 09:16 PM

Allahu A'lim.
Genesis 3 makes no mention of the snake having had a hump like a camel, but it says this:
So the LORD God said to the serpent,
"Because you have done this,
cursed are you above all the livestock
and all the wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life."
It would be interesting to compare it to Islamic sources.

Salaam :)

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Hopefully our resident snake advocate (Snakelegs) will drop in to add her input to this thread. Inshallah

glo
07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Hopefully our resident snake advocate (Snakelegs) will drop in to add her input to this thread. Inshallah
I hope so too. :)

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 09:48 PM

This snake type i fear alot! Seen it in captivity only! A single bite may inject enough venom to kill 30 adults. They are also known for their speed, they are really really fast!

Its the longest venemous snake in africa btw.

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 09:51 PM

The longest venemous snake in the world goes to the king cobra!

This snake mainly feeds on other snakes! Although a single bite might kill a human, this is very rare as it usually doesnt inject enough vemon.

MunirAhmadKamil
07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Assalamu alykum.

I'm scared of snakes..but i dont think its right to kill them upon sight, since they do play an important role in the ecosystem:) plus they are creations of Allah swt.

i am quite interested about the story on Adam and Eve.

BintAmjad
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM

Wow! Some really interesting facts about snakes they truly are an amazing creation subhanallah! I live in the UK so as far as i'm concerned snakes are not are threat here alhamdulillah I mean do they even exist here??? Don't think i've evere heard of a species of snakes that lives in britain??? If they did I think maybe i'd see them in a different light. Take the spider for example it's another example of one of Allah's amazing creations... thing is i'm absolutely petrified by them :muddlehea ...I know... i'm going off topic...

:w:

Simply_Logical
07-13-2008, 10:29 PM

http://www.no-pest.com/BlackMamba4.jpg

This snake type i fear alot! Seen it in captivity only! A single bite may inject enough venom to kill 30 adults. They are also known for their speed, they are really really fast!

Its the longest venemous snake in africa btw.
i think thats the black mamba, which can out run a man/woman!
so i wonder what the people who would run away from snakes do with this one,
dont even say climb up a tree because they can also climb up trees lol! :D

Mr. Baldy
07-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I have it in a book somehwere... I think maybe someones borrowed it. It's a book about the prophets, its a very comprehensive book which starts of with (obviously) Adam, inshallah as soon as I locate it I'll post up the source.

Woodrow
07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simply_Logical
i think thats the black mamba, which can out run a man/woman!
so i wonder what the people who would run away from snakes do with this one,
dont even say climb up a tree because they can also climb up trees lol! :D
That is a black mamba. the most frequent area they bite is the face and neck. They are predomenatly aboreal (live in trees and shrubs). ther cousin the green mamba looks nearly identical to the green snake of the USA. Which is one reason people of African origin fear our harmless green snake. Knowing the reputation of the mambas, I can undersdtand that.

Although the mamba may be one of the most dangerous snakes, even with them btes are not common, but sadly are nearly always fatal.

Do not try to make a pet out of a mamba. A snake to avoid

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 10:58 PM
That is a black mamba. the most frequent area they bite is the face and neck. They are predomenatly aboreal (live in trees and shrubs). ther cousin the green mamba looks nearly identical to the green snake of the USA. Which is one reason people of African origin fear our harmless green snake. Knowing the reputation of the mambas, I can undersdtand that.

Although the mamba may be one of the most dangerous snakes, even with them btes are not common, but sadly are nearly always fatal.

Do not try to make a pet out of a mamba. A snake to avoid
Indeed! The black mamba is a 'stay away from snake' Almost impossible to handle by most people!

The green mamba looks very very pretty! Very elegant in a way

snakelegs
07-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Allahu A'lim.
i am pretty sure that that is indeed the jewish/christian account. (unless there are hadiths that say otherwise).
in the qur'an neither the snake nor eve gets the blame, which is coooool. sane, too. :statisfie
alhamdulillah!

snakelegs
07-13-2008, 11:08 PM
woodrow, this is a great thread (and long overdue).
i will contribute more when i have more time.
you have a lot more (and longer) experience than i do.
one thing i will say though is that snakes actually were one of the beginnings of my developing belief in god. the more i learned about these amazing creatures, and than the more about nature itself - the more in awe i felt.
in my experience snakes are extremely wonderful and gentle creatures.
great thread! it warms my heart...

p.s. needless to say, i voted "One of Allaah's(swt) most beautiful creations."

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 11:23 PM

the gaboon viper! Another highly venemous snake.

This is a snake you do not want to be bitten by! It has the longest fangs, and inject the highest volume of venoum into its victim! You can see the amount of venoum it has by the wide jaws! The good thing about this snake is; its very calm! Its not aggressive at all. So its kind of balances out. If this snake had the speed and aggressionof a black mamba then this would be my deadliest snake in the world!

When it bites u, it looks like ur hand is rotting.

Mikayeel
07-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Sea snakes! I love them, although highly venomous! They rarely bite! And if they do its usually a dry bite. They are very calm creatures! I loved the way steve used to handle them.

truemuslim
07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
the ONLY snake i sorta...sorrta sorta dont mind is the serpant. i think it looks so ghetto! lol jus imagin if my mum find out. loool

Na7lah
07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
really coool thread :D i love snakes but i'll never hold one ;D der soo cool though mashallah

Mikayeel
07-14-2008, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
really coool thread :D i love snakes but i'll never hold one ;D der soo cool though mashallah

U shud try to hold one once, they feel really cool. I bet its nothing like u have imagined! Most are pretty harmless :)

truemuslim
07-14-2008, 01:02 AM
really coool thread :D i love snakes but i'll never hold one, or look at one, or get closer than 70ft to one ;D der soo cool though mashallah
lol

sisss why you likin snakes?? lol
if u really really wanna hold one, go to the store, and buy a fake toy one. feels just like a real one! ..ahem..i would kno...:D

Nawal89
07-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I like snakes. They are just so beautiful. My cats used to bring home small brown snakes all the time and have them for dinner :( even then they were so cute.

truemuslim
07-14-2008, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
I like snakes. They are just so beautiful. My cats used to bring home small brown snakes all the time and have them for dinner :( even then they were so cute.
:eek::offended:
Don't you feel bad for the cats having to have to carry the snakes?! :okay:

Na7lah
07-14-2008, 01:54 AM

i hav held one but it landed on the floor :-[ lol i got scared and dropped it 4 no reason :D

Na7lah
07-14-2008, 02:00 AM
oh gross i just searched up "dead snake" in google ewwwww

*btw y do i alwayz come on wen the forums dead? :(

Mikayeel
07-14-2008, 02:09 AM
oh gross i just searched up "dead snake" in google ewwwww

*btw y do i alwayz come on wen the forums dead? :(
lool, its the american time! Its 3:08 am in the UK most people Zzzzzzz, and its 4:08am in rest of europe people even deeper ZzzZzzz. So american time in a way isnt that good issit:D

snakelegs
07-14-2008, 02:47 AM

the gaboon viper! Another highly venemous snake.

This is a snake you do not want to be bitten by! It has the longest fangs, and inject the highest volume of venoum into its victim! You can see the amount of venoum it has by the wide jaws! The good thing about this snake is; its very calm! Its not aggressive at all. So its kind of balances out. If this snake had the speed and aggressionof a black mamba then this would be my deadliest snake in the world!

When it bites u, it looks like ur hand is rotting.
you've been posting some great pix on this thread!
gaboon vipers are spectacular - they are so colourful, yet when hiding under leaf litter on the forest floor they blend in so well as to be almost invisible. it is not aggressive, but it can move surprisingly fast.
here's a cool looking close relative called rhinocerous viper. neat, huh?

Na7lah
07-14-2008, 02:57 AM
The green mamba looks very very pretty! Very elegant in a way

mashallah :D

Na7lah
07-14-2008, 02:58 AM

OMG *faints*

i hope no one gets idea of starting a spider thread

thats a black widow BTW

snakelegs
07-14-2008, 03:10 AM
although i have never kept venemous snakes, i love rattlesnakes. my very favourite is the red diamond rattlesnake, which happens to be one of the most docile of all rattlesnakes. its range is rather small, but happens to be near where i live.

rattlesnakes do not constrict. they usually will inject their venom in to their prey and then release it and wait until it dies and then have dinner.
i mostly see them driving around in the desert at night (no not the snakes - they don't drive - not even in california!) - they like to lie one the roads to get the benefit of the lingering warmth late at night. sometimes if it's a fairly busy road, i will use a snake hook and move them off the road. the ones i see the most are sidewinders - little, but feisty.
rattlesnakes can choose how much venom to inject. there is such a thing as a dry bite, when they don't inject any at all. venom is like a survival bank account - they are careful how they spend it. one of the reasons that baby rattlesnakes can often be more dangerous than adults is that they haven't learned how to control it and will often inject the whole load.
since snakes depend on the outside temperature to control their body temperature, they must seek warmth to digest their meals. they are not "cold blooded". they are ectotherms = depend on outside temperatures. we are endotherms = meaning our body temperatures are controlled from within.
many people think snakes would feel slimy - in fact they do not.
vipers' fangs fold against the roof of the mouth when not in use. (kind of like a roll away bed). they always have some spare fangs growing, so that if they lose one, there is always another on hand to take over. (saves on dental bills).
i think i'll quit while i'm ahead.
btw, i am happy to see many of the comments here by people who, even though they are afraid of snakes, recognize it as a beautiful creature of allah.

arabianprincess
07-14-2008, 03:55 AM
welll they r one of Allaah's(swt) most beautiful creations. no doubt about but to me they r scary so i couldnt vote for two i wish i can..... but im really afraid from those one which like ties all around u n like break ur bone those r reallly scary .. n :D im scared of em alll lol they r really creapy .. i mean i cant fight em nor kill em i mean i hate killin em ... ba3deen its haram well :D i want them to live as long as they r soooo far away from me : salam wa 3lykom peace

Woodrow
07-14-2008, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
although i have never kept venemous snakes, i love rattlesnakes. my very favourite is the red diamond rattlesnake, which happens to be one of the most docile of all rattlesnakes. its range is rather small, but happens to be near where i live.

rattlesnakes do not constrict. they usually will inject their venom in to their prey and then release it and wait until it dies and then have dinner.
i mostly see them driving around in the desert at night (no not the snakes - they don't drive - not even in california!) - they like to lie one the roads to get the benefit of the lingering warmth late at night. sometimes if it's a fairly busy road, i will use a snake hook and move them off the road. the ones i see the most are sidewinders - little, but feisty.
rattlesnakes can choose how much venom to inject. there is such a thing as a dry bite, when they don't inject any at all. venom is like a survival bank account - they are careful how they spend it. one of the reasons that baby rattlesnakes can often be more dangerous than adults is that they haven't learned how to control it and will often inject the whole load.
since snakes depend on the outside temperature to control their body temperature, they must seek warmth to digest their meals. they are not "cold blooded". they are ectotherms = depend on outside temperatures. we are endotherms = meaning our body temperatures are controlled from within.
vipers' fangs fold against the roof of the mouth when not in use. (kind of like a roll away bed). they always have some spare fangs growing, so that if they lose one, there is always another on hand to take over. (saves on dental bills).
btw, i am happy to see many of the comments here by people who, even though they are afraid of snakes, recognize it as a beautiful creature of allah.
That is a nice pic of the Red Diamondback. Rattle snakes are quite docile although just prior to shedding they can be irritable. Now that I am up in South Dakota and Minnesota it is doubtful I will see any rattlesnakes. The only ones in this area are the prairie ratlesnake, but it is very rare and seldom seen.

I agree with all of what you wrote and am especially pleased to see that no member here would kill a snake without just cause. I can understand the fear people have of them. Yet, they are creations of Allaah(swt) and are a very wonderful part of the animal kingdom.

Those of us in North America have been very fortunate as we have no snakes that pose any serious danger to any person who exercises simple caution when in the habitat of snakes.

snakelegs
07-14-2008, 04:09 AM
actually, most victims of venemous snake bites are 20-30 year old guys who have been drinking and doing stupid things they had no business doing in the first place.
that's the trouble with cold climates - less snakes in general. you have my sympathy! i think texas, arizona and california have the coolest snakes in the u.s.
poor australia - it is the only country where the vast majority of snakes are venemous.
and new zealand is even worse off - they are snakeless - imagine! the horror!

north_malaysian
07-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I dont know what should I vote...

Some of the snakes are beautiful (especially the fluoroscent green or yellow snakes)...those snakes are usually harmless, small and thin.

But most of the snakes available in populated areas (including city centre) are either cobras or pythons... which are scary and dangerous.

I've seen cobras and pythons on several occasion (they're crawling on the streets) and try to avoid any contact with them.. like using alternate route...

Conclusion:

So, some of the snakes are cute and some are scary-looking... I'm scared of cobras and pythons and I never kill a snake and try my best to avoid doing it...

Mikayeel
07-14-2008, 08:20 AM
you've been posting some great pix on this thread!
gaboon vipers are spectacular - they are so colourful, yet when hiding under leaf litter on the forest floor they blend in so well as to be almost invisible. it is not aggressive, but it can move surprisingly fast.
here's a cool looking close relative called rhinocerous viper. neat, huh?

thank you :)

Ye this one looks pretty similar to the gaboon viper, only not so friendly looking. I personally do not like vipers, they look very repulsive.

Ali.
07-14-2008, 03:26 PM

Really interesting info' :thumbs_up

By the way, will a snake actually kill a human to eat it? Or only attack when it's been disturbed?
And also, if you ever get bitten by a venomous snake (God forbid) and they send you to hospital, what will the hospital actually do to help?

IbnAbdulHakim
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
snakes are soooooooo cooooooooooool!!!!!!!

Re.TiReD
07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Snakes are scary *shivers in her boots...erm shoes...erm...yeah*

Speshully that anaconda fingy that just like crushes the life outta you....

WassalamuAlaykum

Woodrow
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Really interesting info' :thumbs_up

By the way, will a snake actually kill a human to eat it? Or only attack when it's been disturbed?
And also, if you ever get bitten by a venomous snake (God forbid) and they send you to hospital, what will the hospital actually do to help?
Snakes normally will not attack a human, they only bite a human when they are disturbed. No snake preys upon humans for food. There have been very few snakes that have ever grown large enough to eat a human. The only species capable of growing to that size are some pythons and anacondas.

Although there are many stories of snakes eating humans, there have never been any fully verified cases. It is usually stories about somebody in a neighboring village etc. Thre are only 2 verified cases, I am aware of, of people being killed by either a python or an anaconda.

The normal hospital treatment for bites from a venemous snake will be injectionsof anti-venin, breathing support, such as giving oxygen. In rare cases where a bite has been ignored for several weeks there may need to be surgical removal of gangreous tissue.

Here in the US with the snakes we have it is rare for a person to recieve a fatal dose of venom. Very little treatment is needed except for monitoring heart and breathing. Even without treatment, all effects of he bite are gone in 2 or 3 days, except in some cases where the person had a severe reaction. Most deaths from snake bite in the USA are the result of well intended "First Aid" and not from the bite. In the USA the best treatment is to do nothing and calmly go to a doctor. With the exception of a bite from a coral snake, there is no danger of immediate death. Even a fatal dosage of venom would take at least 12 hours, plenty of time to get to a doctor.

A bite from a coral snake is different, however it is almost impossible to get bit by a coral snake.

Ali.
07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Snakes normally will not attack a human, they only bite a human when they are disturbed. No snake preys upon humans for food. There have been very few snakes that have ever grown large enough to eat a human. The only species capable of growing to that size are some pythons and anacondas.

Although there are many stories of snakes eating humans, there have never been any fully verified cases. It is usually stories about somebody in a neighboring village etc. Thre are only 2 verified cases, I am aware of, of people being killed by either a python or an anaconda.

The normal hospital treatment for bites from a venemous snake will be injectionsof anti-venin, breathing support, such as giving oxygen. In rare cases where a bite has been ignored for several weeks there may need to be surgical removal of gangreous tissue.

Here in the US with the snakes we have it is rare for a person to recieve a fatal dose of venom. Very little treatment is needed except for monitoring heart and breathing. Even without treatment, all effects of he bite are gone in 2 or 3 days, except in some cases where the person had a severe reaction. Most deaths from snake bite in the USA are the result of well intended "First Aid" and not from the bite. In the USA the best treatment is to do nothing and calmly go to a doctor. With the exception of a bite from a coral snake, there is no danger of immediate death. Even a fatal dosage of venom would take at least 12 hours, plenty of time to get to a doctor.

A bite from a coral snake is different, however it is almost impossible to get bit by a coral snake.
Interesting, thank you.

Another question: Do snakes have any super senses? This may sound like a stupid question, but for example the shark has a 'super sense' (I like to call it super sense) of 'distant touch', which helps it to pick up vibrations caused by swimming creatures. And some people say the dog can smell fear :confused:.

Woodrow
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Interesting, thank you.

Another question: Do snakes have any super senses? This may sound like a stupid question, but for example the shark has a 'super sense' (I like to call it super sense) of 'distant touch', which helps it to pick up vibrations caused by swimming creatures. And some people say the dog can smell fear :confused:.
Each species of snake does have some very interesting "super" senses. Here in the USA the pit vipers (Rattle Snakes, Coperheads and water moccasins) have labial pits that allow them to see infrared light, so they are capable of seeing in the dark and can immediatly differentiate between living and non-living objects by the amount of infra red emitted.

Also the sense of smell on a snake is unbelievable. The tounge is used to smell with and a snake has probably the world's most developed sense of smell.

Snakes that prey upon small rodents have a highly developed sense of being able to feel ground vibrations. They can "feel" a mouse walking several yards away from them.

some other intersting things is how a snake can extend it's trachea so it can breath while swallowing food, which can take quite a long time.

Ali.
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Each species of snake does have some very interesting "super" senses. Here in the USA the pit vipers (Rattle Snakes, Coperheads and water moccasins) have labial pits that allow them to see infrared light, so they are capable of seeing in the dark and can immediatly differentiate between living and non-living objects by the amount of infra red emitted.

Also the sense of smell on a snake is unbelievable. The tounge is used to smell with and a snake has probably the world's most developed sense of smell.

Snakes that prey upon small rodents have a highly developed sense of being able to feel ground vibrations. They can "feel" a mouse walking several yards away from them.

some other intersting things is how a snake can extend it's trachea so it can breath while swallowing food, which can take quite a long time.
SubhanAllah.. wow. There must've been somebody behind all this, don't you think? It couldn't have happened on it's own!

Also, I did a quick google search and look at this:

format_quote Originally Posted by http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/s&l.html
One has to be careful feeding captive snakes for they will respond to their own reflection in the keeper's eyes.
It's saying that some snakes have eyesight as good as that!

Woodrow
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
SubhanAllah.. wow. There must've been somebody behind all this, don't you think? It couldn't have happened on it's own!

Also, I did a quick google search and look at this:

It's saying that some snakes have eyesight as good as that!
I can not comprehend how this could have come about without being planned.

the eye sight of snakes that hunt for food is very good, better than ours. Each species has a different method of finding prey.Few actually stalk and hunt for it. Those that do have excellent eye sight although it may be very specific as in the case of members of the Coluber family (ie: Racers) where they can see small objects and moving objects very clearly, but seem to be blind to large non-moving objects.

sheraazhussain
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
dont know much about snakes closest i have ever got to one was at Blackpool

snakelegs
07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
i don't have much education or know a whole lot about science so i probably can't explain real well, but some of the things i've learned about nature since developing a fascination with snakes (but not limited to snakes) is simply awesome.
one really cool thingy is habitat niches. for example, you will find an area with several species who eat the same prey, and therefore would seem to be competitors. but closer study shows that they are not in actuality. they have different habits, they keep different hours, they live at different levels in the same habitat - like some in trees, some in bushes some on the forest floor etc. so they are not competing at all!
everything seems to be so perfectly planned and worked out in great deal.
stuff like this makes it almost impossible to conceive that there could not be a planner behind it all.
hope i didn't already say this, but one of the things i like about the qur'an is that god is always drawing your attention to reflect on his creations for signs.
ali, woodrow did a fine job of answering the questions you asked so i don't need to.

snakelegs
07-14-2008, 08:19 PM
it really makes me happy to see that almost half have voted "One of Allaah's(swt) most beautiful creations" :)
:thumbs_up

Na7lah
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Woodrow
07-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Very nice young king cobra. It is seldom a photographer can keep from aggitating one and have the trust of the snake to be able to take a picture while it is relaxed. Most cobra pictures will be of a frighened cobra with it's hood spread. I commend the photographer for knowing how to keep it calm and relaxed.

Na7lah
07-15-2008, 11:27 PM
it looks cooler with its hood spread out :D

Fishman
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I used to like those gummy snakes when I was a kid. They are the only type of snake that is at risk from being bitten by people, rather than the other way round!

Unfortunately I don't think they make Halal ones. :mad:
:w:

Simply_Logical
07-25-2008, 02:39 PM
:sl: peeps,
check out this MASSIVE snake,
let me know if it makes you jump! lol! :D:D:D

it made me jump! lmao! :-D

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823505

fatima_01
07-25-2008, 04:56 PM
ewww jst the hiss sounds scares me to death

Mr. Baldy
07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
FAO dear brother Woodrow... I haven't forgotten about the source... I'm still searching for it, it seems the book is the local Muslim community somewhere (we have a book borrowing/lending 'scheme' going on) so inshallah as soon as I locate the book I will get the source to you. Jazakallah for your patience!

Asalaam Alaikum.

Ansariyah
07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I am only a lil bit scared of snakes. I dont hate them, but I dont want to ever come across one InshaAllah.:-[...oh n so long they keep their tongue in their mouth I can actually watch them...Yeah, from a T.v Screen that is.

But Wat freaks me out, n truly terrifies me are lizards, small, tiny, big, huge. It dont matter, Its enuff n I am phobic to them.

aminahjaan
07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I live in AZ where the population of snakes (rattle snakes) is especially prominent...I've only seen one. And it was dead. LOL I don't have a problem with snakes really. If they're like anacondas or Rattlers or pythons thennn I would be really scared.
): I'm arachnaphobic. I can't stand spiders :( haha

MustafaMc
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Contrary to popular belief rattlesnakes do not always rattle a warning. They are heavy sleepers and will fall asleep while sunning themselves and not know you are there unless you touch them, in which case they will bite intantly.

Most common bites occur when a person steps on a sleeping one.
Do snakes sun while all stretched out? I was scouting by myself in the woods for a place to deer hunt (1980, I think) and almost stepped on a 3 ft (1m) rattlesnake (cane break I, think) that was stretched out.

Woodrow
07-30-2008, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Do snakes sun while all stretched out? I was scouting by myself in the woods for a place to deer hunt (1980, I think) and almost stepped on a 3 ft (1m) rattlesnake (cane break I, think) that was stretched out.
It is common for a snake to sun itself all stretched out. Howevr, since this was a rattlesnake, I would suspect that it was moving and when it sensed your presence it stopped in hopes you would not see it. When snakes sun themselves they usually do so on a smooth open rocky surface or on a road (which is not healthy for them)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.